• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Teens Share Their Reactions to Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Unless you're a child or suffer from a problem like an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, there really is no excuse to not be able to follow a show subbed.

Uhh, I have ADHD, had it since I was a child. I watch plenty of anime subbed. So shut your Goddam mouth

As for the dub hating girl, yeah a lot of what she said was dumb, but hey, c'mon she's a teenager. I think a lot of us who've been anime fans since we were young went through that stage and (for a lot of us at least) grew out of it. Hell, I know I did. Early-highschool me woulda probably agreed with some of what she said. Girl got a life of otaku-ing ahead of her, she'll probably grow out of it too. Maybe she still wont be a dub fan, but she wont be spewing ignorant stuff about dubs anymore. So let's not bug her bout it too much Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
He created the f***ing character.

Alright, I guess I should apologize and no longer question George Lucas's decisions that he has made recently on Star Wars, something HE CREATED.

Honestly, the whole 'original creator's' arguments are only brought up when it's most convenient. Not exactly something everyone goes by 100%.

Your parallel is absolutely confounding. Toriyama didn't go back and change anything to make Nozawa the voice of Goku. He picked her out of a group of people auditioning for the role, as well as Tanaka for Kuririn. It was the first time the show was being put together. He didn't go back years later and add her. She is the original voice of the character. No 'Special Edition'ing necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
To me, watching a dubbed anime is like watching American cartoons or Hollywood movies dubbed in Japanese or a Korean drama dubbed in Chinese. It's just so bizarre when you can just experience the original.

The difference there though is you're watching real people. You most likely know what those hollywood actors sound like before even turning on the movie, so seeing that person with another person's voice coming out of them is strange. There's a visual and auditory disconnect there. While that can certainly happen with anime if you've watched a show a lot in japanese and then switch to english, I feel it's far less pronounced compared to live-action.

One of the reason's why I am not fond of DBZ in japanese. I've seen it faaaaaar too much in english before ever hearing the japanese. Goku sounds so absurd to me and just "off" in japanese. Something like Railgun I can switch back and forth as I like, but I don't have the same history, so to say, with Railgun compared to DBZ
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Something to think about:

If it's true that most English dub casts are first approved by the Japanese staff, wouldn't that mean that Toriyama *also* approved of Sean Schemmel's Goku?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Something to think about:

If it's true that most English dub casts are first approved by the Japanese staff, wouldn't that mean that Toriyama *also* approved of Sean Schemmel's Goku?

I doubt it. Toriyama had largely checked out by then. Goku's and Kuririn's Japanese voices might have been the only members of the cast he cast himself, but I'm not sure.

Toei probably approved, though, because they didn't give a damn as long as money kept coming in. They clearly also didn't care about all the edits, name and script changes, and replacement music.

And let's remember, Sean Schemmel was not the original English voice of Goku. Or even the second.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
You guys shouldn't forget that approving something is not the same as choosing something. Everything has to go through approval when it comes to anime, but that doesn't mean the production committee will actually care. It varies from project to project, but in general I highly doubt that production committees care about who acts in English language dubs.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Kutsu wrote:
Unless you're a child or suffer from a problem like an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, there really is no excuse to not be able to follow a show subbed.

Uhh, I have ADHD, had it since I was a child. I watch plenty of anime subbed. So shut your Goddam mouth

As for the dub hating girl, yeah a lot of what she said was dumb, but hey, c'mon she's a teenager. I think a lot of us who've been anime fans since we were young went through that stage and (for a lot of us at least) grew out of it. Hell, I know I did. Early-highschool me woulda probably agreed with some of what she said. Girl got a life of otaku-ing ahead of her, she'll probably grow out of it too. Maybe she still wont be a dub fan, but she wont be spewing ignorant stuff about dubs anymore. So let's not bug her bout it too much Smile

I didn't say that having ADHD means you shouldn't or couldn't watch anime subbed though so I don't really understand your aggressiveness here (and again, see my post above where I acknowledge that I should have talked about medical reasons in general instead of singling one out). Confused

Last edited by Kutsu on Mon May 19, 2014 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Whatever your individual reasons may or may not be, in my own personal opinion, I just have a hard time taking seriously a high-pitched, effeminate, childlike voice coming out of a character that looks like this:

Hotura

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
After watching this I am happy a few of the teens were probably going to watch. I was happy there were a few who were content with the subtitle version and the dub version. I was not happy with girl who bashed every English dubbed series out there. I think what she was talking about was more into the editing things out of anime series. I might be reading that wrong.

I have no problems with watching the subtitles or watching the English dub. I prefer to watch the English dub so I can pay attention what is going on. I have watched the subtitled version of Attack on Titan and currently watching the dub version Toonami. I will say I like both. The dub vs subs debate is just getting old real old.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
childlike

It's the entire point of the character.

Anyway, Nozawa's adult Goku is definitely deeper than her child Goku. It's a natural progression that occurs over the course of the shows. You can definitely identify her as the voice of Goku, Gohan, and Goten, but their child and older voices are a bit different.

Getting back on topic, it just seems like the Attack on Titan dub sounds very amateurish, at least based on the first few episodes. It was surprising to me because Funimation has improved over time, but this one seems half-hearted. Aside from a couple of characters here and there, there seems to be a lot of forced, stilted deliveries. But then, given the material they have to work with, it shouldn't be surprising.

I find Eren's VA to be especially troubling, as he seems incapable of genuine emoting. Thus my Vic Mignogna comparison.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I wonder what people mean when they say Japanese staff approved the VA's? The Japanese staff was flown out and held the auditions themselves? I highly doubt that they care enough about the American release to do something like that, especially busy creators like Toriyama, Kishimoto, or Oda who are so pressed for time

What that most likely that means is some suits in Japan were sent a recording of who the licensor chose and they just signed off on it. I doubt they put as much thought or effort into the process as they do in Japan. I know Oda works with Toei on their show, personally working with them when they do anime-original material like approving or vetoing which Devil Fruit powers they can use, but I doubt he works with Funi much on their version of One Piece outside of signing the things they place on his desk in the morning. In general, I think people grossly overestimate the amount of involvement between studios. There are probably some exceptions, but the American market is an afterthought, after all. They're not going to waste too many resources on it. I'd actually be interested in hearing if they ever veto'd a dub voice actor and didn't just automatically approve of everything sent to them. It'd give more insight into the process and claim.

-Stuart Smith

Last edited by Stuart Smith on Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Whatever your individual reasons may or may not be, in my own personal opinion, I just have a hard time taking seriously a high-pitched, effeminate, childlike voice coming out of a character that looks like this:

MOD NOTE: Don't break tables. It was a picture of Goku, for context.

*gasp* SPOILER ALERT! Anime hyper
By the way, why did this turn into a typical dub vs. sub discussion? :S
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I bet a lot of subscribers to this YouTube channel will be scrambling to watch Attack on Titan immediately after they've seen this video.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
childlike

It's the entire point of the character.

Anyway, Nozawa's adult Goku is definitely deeper than her child Goku. It's a natural progression that occurs over the course of the shows.

It still doesn't sound like *A MAN*. It's very obviously in all three cases a female's voice. And while that may work with some of the more effeminate adult male characters, Goku is one of the LAST character's I'd ever refer to as "effeminate".
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
What's next, people saying Brad Swaile as Quatre Rebarba Winner is bad while Ai Orikasa is perfect?

I don't know what show this is, but the few things I've heard Ai Orikasa in, she's great, so yes?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9