• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcement: Welcome to Daily Streaming Reviews!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybob8476

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I watched almost all of the One Piece a few years ago (skipping only the recap episodes in the Enies Lobby arc). I just wish my writing was better.
deidara517

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
while i do like the idea i dont like that its taking up so much of the news list maybe having a way to toggle episode reviews off?
unready

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I liked about The Stream was that it was a single paragraph about each show for the past 2-4 weeks, all on one page.

With multiple writers, it's not all going to go on one page like The Stream, of course, but a multi-paragraph essay on each episode of each show each week is overkill for critical review. It borders (if not steps over the border) on spam.

FWIW, I do not read the episode recaps on other sites, not even for live shows. I have read some in the past and choose not to read more in the future. They tend to fall into two categories: (1) the writer thinks he's hilarious and spends more time trying to prove it (to himself) than to convey any actual information to readers about the show or (2) the writer spent his time not watching the show, but wrote about it anyway as if he had, again conveying no actual information. These would be things to avoid, however you proceed.

I'd suggest something a little less ambitious. Each of the writers would do a single article per week about all the shows he or she does, one paragraph per show. I suppose some writers may be looking forward to their $0.50 per word (or whatever your rate is), but I'd rather read something with relevant content.

One thing one-essay-per-episode will do is provide a seed in the forums for people to discuss each episode as it airs, but is a staff writer actually required for that?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
OK, here's what I'm not interested in doing:

Putting all the daily streaming reviews in one weekly column

Posting everything from one day in one list at the end of the day as one item

Separating shows out by writer and posting that writer's work once a week

I am sticking to the one article per episode thing. Daily streaming reviews, not weekly, not monthly, not once-a-week-per-writer. We are happy to come up with ways to make it more convenient for people to filter the frontpage feed, and there will be more archival options in the future. All of that stuff we're working on and I am more than happy to take feedback on that.

Dramatic "why don't you do this in a completely different way" - all of the suggestions down this road have so far been considered before launch, and most of them came up short for one reason or another.

I'm very open to feedback from everyone but radically redesigning this entire endeavor from the ground up - no, sorry. I did make one choice I am absolutely sticking to: one article per episode per show, posted as expediently as is reasonable.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, but suggesting bottom-up total rethink of the entire concept of daily streaming reviews isn't going to happen and I may as well be as upfront as possible about that.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Awesome idea Smile Can't wait to read these during the week.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I am sticking to the one article per episode thing. Daily streaming reviews, not weekly, not monthly, not once-a-week-per-writer. ...

I'm very open to feedback from everyone but radically redesigning this entire endeavor from the ground up - no, sorry. I did make one choice I am absolutely sticking to: one article per episode per show, posted as expediently as is reasonable.

Comparisons to The Stream are a bit of a red herring, then. The Stream wasn't a series of articles, one per episode per show. This is an entirely new feature, rather than one that replaces The Stream or fulfills the same function. That's fine. You get to make that decision, but I think all the feedback you're getting for summaries, some of which I do agree would not make sense, is an indication that that's what people want.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that bothered by the clogging in the news section, but the Talkback forum does seem a little cluttered with all the series' threads. I don't know if it can be done this season since all of the airing shows already have their own thread, but since we're getting a new thread per show as opposed to a new thread per episode (which if excellent, otherwise it would be crazy), would it be feasible to make the forum link of each series' review into the actual series's thread in the Anime forum? Like, if I click the "discuss this in the forum" button in the Tokyo Ghoul review, it could lead you to the Tokyo Ghoul thread in the Anime forum or something like that. I don't know if what I say makes any sense -or if I'm making it understandable-, but I think it could be a good way to keep the discussion from getting weirdly split
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great, looking forward to reading Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not that bothered by the clogging in the news section, but the Talkback forum does seem a little cluttered with all the series' threads. I don't know if it can be done this season since all of the airing shows already have their own thread, but since we're getting a new thread per show as opposed to a new thread per episode (which if excellent, otherwise it would be crazy), would it be feasible to make the forum link of each series' review into the actual series's thread in the Anime forum? Like, if I click the "discuss this in the forum" button in the Tokyo Ghoul review, it could lead you to the Tokyo Ghoul thread in the Anime forum or something like that. I don't know if what I say makes any sense -or if I'm making it understandable-, but I think it could be a good way to keep the discussion from getting weirdly split

I'll be honest - right now this is a low priority for me. Once we figure out the best solution for the frontpage, I'll spend more time on this.

I can tell you that whoever suggested just reposting the content in the anime forum for discussion purposes, that isn't going to happen. We do need people to actually click on this stuff Razz
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can certainly see where posting the actual content in the forum is impossible. I can definitely see the merit in some kind of increased synergy between the weekly series discussion threads and the weekly reviews though. I wonder, would it be possible to disable talkback threads for episode reviews and instead have a link to the discussion threads in the anime forum? That might make sense.

P.S. Realize this is not high priority. Just putting it out there for when you do get around to it.
stardf29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how this will work once a new season starts. Will the episode reviews run concurrently with the Preview Guide? And how will the process of who gets what show go when everyone has at most one episode of the show to work with? Will there be a bloodbath as everyone fights for the shows that look good, leaving the losers with the shows that look to be crap? (With the full acceptance of the possibility that a good-looking show can turn out to be crap and the crap-looking show will turn out good, of course...) Razz

At any case, I'm glad to see every show get a chance in the spotlight. Even if said spotlight is only to make it easier to throw tomatoes at the show.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'll be honest - right now this is a low priority for me. Once we figure out the best solution for the frontpage, I'll spend more time on this.

Understandable that the front page clutter is the more high priority issue as it is kind of annoying currently. I would just like to agree with the idea of having the episode review threads be the official series thread in the anime forum when you get around to it. Assuming its possible it seems like a good idea since the series threads are already talking about a show as it airs so a separate review thread would probably end up really similar to the series thread.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
A lot of people looking a gift horse in the mouth here. This is a hell of a lot of good new content we're getting.

Personally, I'd hoped for years that AV Club would give their episode-by-episode "coverage" treatment to an anime show, something that would be interesting and merit that level of detail. I thought we might get it for the Toonami run of Attack on Titan, but a single review of the premiere of Sailor Moon Crystal is all we ever got from AV Club. (I have a pet hypothesis that there's so much good TV nowadays and so much anime that it's impractical or impossible for a critic to keep up with both).

So basically, we're getting what I wanted on the front page of ANN instead of AVC. Not complaining. Maybe there'll be a front page reorg someday to balance out the content, like how AVC sublimates the news to the reviews. Let's give it time and see how it works out.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Personally, I'd hoped for years that AV Club would give their episode-by-episode "coverage" treatment to an anime show

There was a small window in time where the A.V. Club was reviewing [adult swim]'s anime block, so BLEACH, Death Note, Code Geass and Shin Chan got thirteen weeks of reviews, along with the first episode of Moribito. Also, their TV Club Classic feature did full reviews of FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, and it's movie(they actually have two reviews for it!); their new TV Review feature did a very ANN-esque multi-episode review of Space Dandy, and their usual film and DVD reviews have covered almost ALL of the Ghibli stuff, including the Lupin III movie Miyazaki did.

Whoo. I think that's everything.
bin1127

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
I would've thought Bamboo would reprise her role in some form with the relaunch of stream reviews, but I guess The Stream really left a poor aftertaste.

What is Bamboo assigned to write about these days? I dont read all the articles posted but how could it be that I haven't yet encountered a single post by her? She's the best ANN writer in my books and I hope she wasn't relegated to some dark corner of the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7