• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Sentai did good today.

What I hope they do with LoGH is release the two movies first, stream the 110 ep OVA, then release the 110 episodes in 4 separate disc sets.

Now, I can't imagine it'll ever be dubbed into English (and given the usual quality of Sentai's dubs, it's probably for the best), but I wouldn't totally object to at least the movies being dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I am floored... Surprised

Legend of the Galactic Heroes AND the Higurashi anime licensed?

*checks pulse*

Well, it seems I haven't died and gone to heaven. Razz

This rocks. I would definitely pick up Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'd be interested in their Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai discs if they plan to dub the show, not so much if Kai is sub only though since I already have the Australian discs. Higurashi Rei I would also purchase since this will be the first official English release of that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
So sentai filmworks now has the entire higurashi franchise anime franchise licensed!!! I'm weeping tears of joy now :___:

Not entirely. The Kira & Outbreak OVAs are now the only ones not licensed.

Ahh true and we still unsure if sentai has any of the DVD specials or the ova from season one as well. Still the most important parts of the series have finally been licensed for a r1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Never thought I'd see the day

Congrats on LoGH. You have been one of the biggest advocates of this franchise in these threads.

And I imagine Sentai will do a physical release. Space Brothers is a great example that they are willing to do physical releases for long series.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
OH MY GOD!!! OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!
OH! MY! GOD!!!!

The impossible just happen!! LOGH IS COMING TO AMERICA!!! Oh, there is no force in Heaven or Hell to prevent me buying this masterpiece.
*cries happy tears for the rest of my life*
OH please let it be similar to the Japanese collection [url=http://www.play-asia.com/legend-of-galactic-heroes-dvd-box-set-3/13/709eb gclid=CjwKEAjwwtOsBRDdjZTbvYvTlzcSJADOY0DRHmn441y6fpRz4P5jIU0SJu3vsoq924rGRvidOra8_xoCUFHw_wcB&ref=froogle]box set[/url] because those looked so cool.

Edit: Wait, is it just the original 110 OVA episodes or is Sentai Filmworks trying to get the full monty: 110 episode OVAs, the Golden Wings OVA, the Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights OVA, the Spiral Labyrinth OVA, and the Overture to a New War (which I still need to watch). Because that it gonna be a major pain in the butt to track all those down.

I have seen the Gaidens fansubbed and watched them if you look hard enough you will find them, but the only ones I couldn't find were Overture (expanded re-telling of episodes 1 and 2 of the main OVA series),episodes 26 and 27 of Spiral Labyrinth, and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. I really hope they get the movies and prequel OVAs cause I want to watch this with my Dad in chronological order. Cause he is nuts for space/sci-fi stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek. He is over 60 and I want him to experience this series with me before he dies.

I will be pre-ordering the sets and hopefully they will be on Bluray cause the aspect ratio on DVD is different and my old DVDs when I play them on my bluray player and 32' HD its black boxed pretty much. My new DVDs Romeo x Juliet S.A.V.E fits the entire screen. So I hope if Sentai release DVD only that it will stretch across my screen and not be letter boxed in.

One thing that worries me is that if they still stack DVDs/Blurays they might get scratched or damaged and I have no room for individual DVD cases.

Still buying no matter what though cause I literally just finished watching the entire saga (well almost) fansubbed last month and I was upset that I couldn't own it and now I can. I'm so excited, but at the same time I worry for the packaging and quality cause we all know what happened to that Sailor Moon hype from Viz.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP THEY GOT HIGURASHI!!!
kushiel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote

My procrastination will be rewarded with (hopefully) LoGH Bluray discs![/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Shocked I totally just hyperventilated. I AM SO FRICKING EXCITED. THANK YOU SENTAI!!! Shocked

Last edited by SaharaFrost on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

Not entirely. The Kira & Outbreak OVAs are now the only ones not licensed.

Someone needs to edit the Wikipedia article. It currently lists Sentai as having licensed Kira (but not Outbreak).

Apparently someone's enthusiasm and excitement got them a bit carried away.
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I told everyone, multiple times Legend of the Galactic Heroes would be licensed eventually. You just have to have patiences. Seems I was right Wink . Also I'm so glad I will finally get to see how When They Cry ends, it's been a long time coming. I've been waiting since Geneon/Funimation released the first season to see how it ends. Since I never watch anime illegally I was sweating for a little bit thinking I may never see how it ends. Now I can. Looks like I made the right call there as well. Best license announcement in years. I'll be buying all of this (I'm assuming there will be a physical release eventually). Thank you Sentai! they're still the best company in the anime business.

Only way this could be better is Sentai announcing they will get the Bang Zoom cast back together for the dub of When They Cry Season 2. But I sort of doubt that would happen, lol! I foresee a subtitle only release in the near future. This is fine though, I'm very happy I can finally see the show ! But perhaps I'll be pleasantly proved wrong?
fearlessEdition

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I literally jumped out of my chair in excitement...LOtGH returns!
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
LOGH is one of my favorite anime, so I'm pretty happy that it's getting a release.

I've always considered LOGH to be the one anime that is the most in need of a dub, because it's probably the most dialogue focused work I've ever seen in any film-type medium. I'd love to see it in English. I know it's a pretty big endeavor to dub a show with more than 100 episodes, but I didn't think anyone would be licensing it in the first place, so we'll see...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
First Rose of Versailles, now LotGH . . . what's next, Harmony Gold decides to relent and allow Macross Frontier to be licensed?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:

I will be pre-ordering the sets and hopefully they will be on Bluray cause the aspect ratio on DVD is different and my old DVDs when I play them on my bluray player and 32' HD its black boxed pretty much.

Ah yeah, that's my biggest worry. Oh, and the audio.
Most of my DVDs for 90s & early 2000s anime still have that lame 4:3 ratio so the black bars show up. I hope Sentai doesn't "stretch" the video to match Widescreen 16:9. Does anyone know how LOGH looks on the Japanese BD release?
@dtm42: Pigs will fly before Frontier or Do You Remember Love? are released in the US. Heck, the release of the original, unedited SDF Marcoss seems more plausible now that history has been made!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
@dtm42: Pigs will fly before Frontier or Do You Remember Love? are released in the US. Heck, the release of the original, unedited SDF Marcoss seems more plausible now that history has been made!

Perhaps it is a crazy idea. Certainly, I can't see Harmony Gold growing a heart anytime soon. But stranger things have happened, so don't rule it out entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9