• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Announces New Gundam Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
MattB1 wrote:
Just maybe, the Gundam franchise as a whole needs to be retired. Or at least given a long rest.

The series keeps plowing over the same themes again and again, regardless of setting or universe. The original series was all about the tragedy and brutality of war. Today, it's just about selling model kits with any story just tacked on as an afterthought.

In short, Gundam is in the same boat as Star Trek.

Oh please, all the UC gundam series are about the same freaking plot : poor space colonies that want their independence from the earth. Insert 15 year old emo teenager into a giant space robot and go do some damage.

Then they tried to do something different (2 decades after 0079) : genetic manipulation in Seed and Seed Destiny. The premise was good, the animation and brutality of war were great as well as the discussions about the nature of peace and war (it reminded me a lot of the Patlabor 2 discussion between Arakawa and Goto).. But it had some little problems. No big deal really.

Then Sunrise went with energy problems in 00. Still a different take from the Seed and UC universes.

And lets not forget all the crazy (samurai pizza catsesque) series like G Gundam Fighter and to a lesser extent Gundam Build Try Fighters.

So it's not correct to say that Sunrise rehashed the same themes over and over again (beyond the war is bad theme but this is a constant of any Japanese anime ever made).

Gundam is doing good. What most taliban fans don't accept is that the UC timeline is a narrative dead end. There is only so much you can do/tell with Char and the Zabis. And without them you're better off doing a remake of Votoms for all intents and purposes. In other words there is never going to be another tv series taking place in the UC universe (just look at the mess of G no Reconguista).
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Seed is remake of 79 and filled with heaps of original nonsense while Destiny tried to go Z but ended up going crap Cool.
00 is a better version of Wing and all Gundam anime that aren´t about toys, SD or G Fighter/Turn and maybe even G-Reco (as it was rewritten to be a Gundam show) tell the same very tale.
I won't count the OVA as they are all removed even if a bit grunt focused. I can quote the Gundam wikia in my sleep by now and i agree with MattB1 in the end. The franchise overstretched once again as it did in the 90s and the best thing about it now are the current remake manga.
Let it rest and pull a Star Trek/Batman Begins but not Star Trek 2.
Quote:
Don't Stop! Carry On! Don't Stop! Shinin' On!
(but do take a break after this project.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The Universal Century era IS the Gundam franchise. All Gundam things spring from its fount. Not every Gundam series has to take place in it, but let's face it, it's the core of the franchise, always has been, always will be. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

How long are we going to watch Sunrise fumble around in the dark looking for a way to make AU titles work? Another decade or two? There's been what, maybe three worthwhile AUs?

I'm not saying they should stop trying to make AUs. There's plenty of Gundam to go around. I'm saying it's patently ridiculous to condemn UC as a "narrative dead end" when AUs are all based on it. If you consider UC a dead end, it's the same as saying Gundam itself is a dead end. And I'm not even saying that's necessarily wrong. But you aren't obligated to watch every individual entry in the franchise, and most of them don't continue from each other, so it doesn't even become necessary to in order to enjoy the franchise as a whole.

Maybe Gundam IS dead. You could make that argument, I guess. Gundam doesn't need to exist forever. But as long as it does, UC is the root of the tree. AUs are just that thing they do now and then with mixed, if sometimes interesting, results.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind another AU. I'm not going to stress out about it "ruining Gundam". Gundam has UC, it has AU, it doesn't need to be everything I'm looking for all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5