• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin Haiku Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
e]
While I'm assuming that one might've been sent in at least twice because of the apparent delay in posting entries-- hell, I was thinking of doing that because I thought one of mine didn't get sent in-- I'm still a bit disappointed that this wasn't taken narrowed down to one. I can't pick out any more specific haiku, but I think its certainly possible that there are a few other repeats scattered around. I'm just wondering, then: how are the votes going to be tallied for these same-author-same-haiku entries, in preparation for the top 25?

As hard as it may be to believe, I do not remember every single haiku that was entered. Thus, it's possible that a stray repeat made it through. I already filtered out several repeats, but one or two might have gotten through.

It's not going to affect the tally process. I'm really not interested in divulging my ranking algorithm.

Just relax, and know that all will work out.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
gwern wrote:

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd be fascinated to hear more about the statistics. I ranked all 300 fairly harshly since I'm pretty familiar with haikus although I prefer classical wakas, and I am a little surprised to hear that. (I remember reading a long statistics article on how to calculate averages properly while accounting for time; are you using those methods?)

I'm still debating whether or not to release the statistics at the end of the contest, mostly because I don't want to hear any whinging in the forums about, "People don't understand my art!" or "Such and such is unfair!" However, I can tell you that the vast majority of votes align with each other. Meaning, the ones that are ranked high are generally ranked high by everyone. The ones that were disliked were voted similarly by most readers.

I am accounting for time with the rankings.
liquidfreedom88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
i'll just believe with the ranking system Very Happy

i dont even know what kind of haiku that loved by every voter... wait, mine arent even can be called proper haikus Laughing
googletape

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
some of the entries arent even haiku. will those be disquallified or what??
mubstaa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Can there be more than one person in a household entering the contest. I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters and we all want a shot at it. However I know that the contest is over, but for future concerns is that alright?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
googletape wrote:
some of the entries arent even haiku. will those be disquallified or what??

Yes.

mubstaa wrote:
Can there be more than one person in a household entering the contest. I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters and we all want a shot at it. However I know that the contest is over, but for future concerns is that alright?

Yes, that's fine.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Where can we vote for the top 25? Will it be on the regular page just edited in?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed that you wrote in the rules that the haiku had to follow the traditional 575 syllables rule, yet the link you provided to Wikipedia stated that modern haiku doesn't follow them anymore (not always, at least), and when I entered the contest I followed the instruction in the Wikipedia entry about haiku that you linked... ^^'

I hope my haiku will be accepted anyway even if they don't follow the traditional structure! I did use a nature theme for all of them though (even if it isn't required anymore in modern haiku I put it in my three entries anyway since it fitted Kenshin quite well) and, most importantly, the juxtaposition. Smile

If needed, I can modify my three entries for them to follow the 575 structure, but maybe it's too late for that... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
So, erm, I was looking through the top 25 haiku, and... well, I noticed a little (but significant enough, I'd imagine) typo:
Quote:
Prideful Shishio / He's more fit to regin in Hell / Than serve in Heaven

Is it possible for that bolded "word" to be corrected as "reign," as it was spelled originally? Thanks in advance.

And Another Thing: I realized that after I voted and submitted the survey, I couldn't view the submitted haiku again. Is it possible to somehow post all 25 of those entries for public display again once the contest is over, or something like that? I'd love to go back and take another look at those haiku for fun...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yahooligans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Are there gonna be one or two winners because it said that they're giving away two copies?

Also I'm happy to see that two of the ones I really liked got into the top 25! I didn't expect that lol.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yahooligans wrote:
Are there gonna be one or two winners because it said that they're giving away two copies?

Also I'm happy to see that two of the ones I really liked got into the top 25! I didn't expect that lol.

There is going to be one winner from the Top 25, and one winner picked at random.

@Animerican14

Yes, sorry. I will fix both of those issues.

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the first issue; working on the second.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Do you have to be registered to vote for the top 25? Someone told me they weren't registered but still voted.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Just so you guys know, the Tsuioku-hen Blu-ray is A-grade stuff.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1332806#1332806

Whoever wins the free copy should be ecstatic.
liquidfreedom88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
too bad the kyuubey one dont get into top 25 Laughing
Yahooligans

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Who won?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6