• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retty

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
I started reading the manga a few months ago but gave up when I found ut it was never finished. I didn't want to get too into it just to have it stop suddenly, unresolved. But the anime has made me start up again. I'm liking the anime so far, and I like the wishy washy 90s style a lot, it reminds me of Hana Yori Dango which I can't get friends to watch because they don't like th look of, even though it's great...

I'm a little worried about how they will end this. 26 episodes isn't much time, and I was hoping the anime would provide me with an ending for the manga. Also when anime makes up endings for unfinished manga, it never tends to be very good. Does anyone know if there will be a second series?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 was another good episode. Certainly not the best of the lot, but Naoki and Kotoko had some nice moments. They're certainly on much better terms than at the beginning of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
I was just glad that the chocolates spoiler[weren't the reason she'd gotten sick.] I hate it when they continue to pile more and more incapabilities onto lead characters. Can't cook, can't study, can't clean, etc, etc, etc. It makes it seem like their own redeeming quality is the fact that they can breath.

On the other hand, I did think the ending was kind of cute with her spoiler[spelling "from" wrong on the second chocolate heart]. The rest of the episode didn't do a lot for me (didn't hate it, just didn't like it nearly as well as episode 5), but that made me chuckle a little.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree that it's good that the chocolates weren't the reason she was sick. I also have to give Kotoko some admiration for dealing with the pain for as long as she did, to make sure Irie got to the exam.

Of course, it's not even remotely surprising that spoiler[Irie isn't going to a different college/university than Kotoko. We can't seperate The Couple(TM) like that, after all. At least it was his own choice not to take the exams though.]

I've really been enjoying Irie's character development, especially how he cares about Kotoko without suddenly being OMG in love with her. Of course we know that this will eventually happen, but I'm a fan of the eventually part of that.

This being said...I do wonder how much of the manga they plan to animate and what they will do with the ending. I'm hoping they are able to cut a fair amount out without damaging the story, and actually give it an ending. But I really can't see this going beyond maybe 26 episodes...and even that wouldn't be able to cover all the manga and have an ending as well. But I suppose such as life. I'm really hoping for a treatment similar to the Hana Yori Dango live action, which I'm sure had to cut a fair amount to make a 36 (?) volume manga series fit into 26 episodes, even if they were hour-long instead of half-hour like anime is.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
yea episode 6 was good, Irie and Kotoko have a good charecter development without going way to fast.

ending was great spoiler[did she spell from, flom?]

this is still looking to be another good romantic comedy series.
retty

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
Hm, I much prefered how episode six was done in the manga. It gave Irie a more rotton time and it was funnier. That whole episode just seemed rushed to me.
xia83

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
^Really? I'm definetly going to have to read the manga soonish.
rag

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was a great episode people.
Turning point? maybe, let's see.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Did Kotoko's eyes seem a little more glossy to anyone in this episode?

Even though I've read past this point in the manga, I never could understand what Noaki's point was when spoiler[he made a joke out of Kotoko's feelings for him. Even if he does like her, that was awfully mean in every aspect. I *do* know that the kiss was to spoiler[keep her from giving up on him. Aw.]]

But they're finally going to college! Welcome to hell. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

I picked up on that as well.

Episode 7 was a good one. I loved that spoiler[Naoki didn't want Kotoko to give on him so much that he resorted to actually kissing her. ] Oh, and Kin-chan's antics never get old. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frouella

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Didn't notice. Too busy cringing from all of the graduation clichés. Rolling Eyes

So after watching episode 7, my first reaction is that I sat through 90% dreck to get to the good 10%. Problem is, that 10% was really good. The spoiler[dream sequence seemed too long (especially since it was so obviously a dream), the graduation ceremony was predictable (something embarrassing happened to Kotoko? In front of Irie? No way!), and we already know that Irie is the asshat all the girls love. ]

But then, then, spoiler[after Kotoko finally snaps at the graduation party and Irie drags her off for their little confrontation, then everything shifts; the tone is different, the camera angles are more expressive, the animation style changes to dark tears and sharp outlines. And I have never been so completely won over by a solitary eyebrow twitch before. ] Which makes me wonder -- where was this level of skill hiding during the previous 20 minutes of meh?

I'm starting to feel like this show is an abusive relationship all the way around, really: Kotoko puts up with all of Irie's shite because he tosses her juuust enough affection to make her think about how great he can be, and to make her hope that it will happen again; likewise, there are so many things wrong with this show that I could go on and on about, and yet I still watch, because there just might be another great moment coming up. Yay, I'm a meta-metaphor. Confused If anybody says anything about my bruised pride/ego/self-respect, I uh...I ran into a door! **runs away crying**
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
I'm starting to feel like this show is an abusive relationship all the way around, really: Kotoko puts up with all of Irie's shite because he tosses her juuust enough affection to make her think about how great he can be, and to make her hope that it will happen again; likewise, there are so many things wrong with this show that I could go on and on about, and yet I still what

I feel about the same way. The few good moments have really been great, but it feels like they're so few and far between. And I'm sorry, but this relationship just makes my skin crawl. I finally got to the point where I was at least starting to enjoy Naoki a little bit, and then he pulled this. The episode was bad enough before, but to spoiler[make his extreme abuse to her (at least she fought back with the picture) 'all better' he kisses her? And she thinks the world is fine because even though he humiliates her, physically restrains her many times, and treats her like trash 99% of the time, he does 1% of the time almost treat her as if she's a human (although certainly not an equal.)] It sickens me, really.

The rest of the episode just felt like a disaster. It was incredibly loud, and I hate embarrassing episodes, particular when one humiliation is piled atop another and another. It makes me feel nauseated, really. I may not like Kotoko, but I can't help but feel embarrassed myself for her, particularly with all of Kin's stupidity.

The only redeeming scene for me was the brief flash to the French Revolution period scene when discussing the treatment of Class A versus Class F. Alas, that was only for a moment.

I'm really angry after this episode. I just gotten to a point where I felt I could tolerate some of the idiocy as long as they made Naoki feel like a bit of a human being, but that's gone now. Dangling the carrot in front of Kotoko, humiliating her then taking advantage of her feelings just makes me shudder. I shiver to think that there might be a few young girls in Japan watching this and thinking, "She still loves him no matter how he treats her, what a strong and honorable love!"

And I'm sorry for the rant, but that episode really, really upset me.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there are no comments regarding episode 8. It has been out for a few days now.

As for the episode itself, I enjoyed it as always. This spoiler[new girl at university] has really shaken things up, and you gotta love Kin's persistence. Oh, and I certainly wouldn't want to join spoiler[the tennis club], even if I were the best player in the world.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
i've been busy with work so i still need to watch episode 7 & 8
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd watched episode 8 a couple days back, didn't post about it though... This is one of the series I work into my anime routine rather than enthuse over, I guess. It's still enjoyable, and my passive approach shouldn't detract from a fun series.

I'm liking the evident familiarity between Irie and Kotoko... it's obvious they've been living together a while and they can riff off of each other. That said, it still makes me smile how hopelessly endearing Kotoko is. And yes, as JG mentioned, spoiler[a love rival! along with a playing field with which Kotoko can prove herself (Tennis). ]

Well, prove herself or fail miserably Wink

It's a nice show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10