• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.D. Vision to Auction Surplus Office Supplies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. I am sure there is other fandom's social apertures that are just as stupid. But anime always surprises me. To bad that one day people are insightful, and the next they are the pictures next to ignoramuses in the dictionary.
To whom are you refering to?
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
Single I think are what actually sent the companies in to this issue along with cost of series to get.

Actually what got them to the point they are now was the binge spending and bidding wars on licenses a few years ago, which drove up the cost of series to artificially high levels and flooded the market with more product than consumers could support. Companies basically put themselves so far in debt by overestimating how much money the fandom could and would spend that they've never really recovered. Then ADV flooded the market with cheap box sets of newer series that hadn't yet outlived their life as singles because of a need for quick cash to pay back some of that debt. This changed people's way of thinking about how to buy anime and people started waiting for those cheap box sets. ADV created a new standard way of business that basically came back to bite them on the butt. They tried to get people to go back to buying singles by taking out the extras, but found out more people care about cost than extras.

I do like box sets, and I like lower costs. I welcome both. But it's pretty easy to see where things went wrong if you stop and look back. An oversaturated market, artificially high licensing costs that R1 companies helped create, and a young casual fandom that doesn't want to spend money on something they can see for free on TV (I know more IRL who watch tv than download) have all contributed to ADV's (and everyone else's) current problems.
Lee1981

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, first of all, the people who download fansubs only and refuse to buy anything, you can yell at them, blame them, and condemn them to hell all you want, and complain to them about how they are killing the region 1 industry, but the fact of the matter is that they don't care. If every single region 1 anime licenser went out of business tomorrow, for the fansub only people, it would be just another day, nothing changes.

I don't know what is going on with ADV and I'm not going to speculate at this point in time; I hope they pull through, but the ONLY thing any of us can do is wait and see what happens.

Also, I refuse to buy anime one volume at a time. I absolutely refuse to do that. I really hate that business model and I wish more than anything it would just go away and they would just release the box sets. Just release the boxed sets. I don't care if it takes longer; finish the dubs and the subtitles and whatever else you need to do; just release the whole thing all at once. If every episode of the series were standalone episodes that were completely self-contained stories like most shows in the United States, then that would be one thing and the single volume releases might be acceptable (though still a ripoff financially), but most of the animes I like are arc-based and it is much more rewarding and satisfying (at least to me) to just have the whole thing at your disposal so you can watch it at your own pace, rather than popping $20 for 3-5 episodes, watching then, waiting 1-3 months, then buying the next volume, and doing that for the whole series. At the very least, they could release larger portions of the series in one setting, such as what Media Blasters is doing with Golion or Sony is doing with Blood+; that would be acceptable, though I'd still rather have the whole series in one box. But whatever; I'm just one fan and I am not impudent enough to believe that they should change their business model because of my own personal preference, but at the same time, I don't have to support it and I won't support it. I'll happily support the anime industry just as I will support American movie companies by legally purchasing their DVDs (when they come out with movies that I actually want to watch), but I will continue to wait for the boxed sets and if they want to see my money sooner than they should release the box sets sooner. But of course they have the right to do whatever they want. Sorry for the rant, but that's just how I feel about that.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
I shouldn't have to worry about their business plan or if they've made a profit. If they sell it at a loss, whatever. The consumer didn't make that decision, the company did.

Anime Fans ultimately will decide the fate of the industry, not the companies that create or distribute the products. Anime fans have all the power, hold all the cards, and vote every day with their wallets either by buying or not buying, or when they only want to buy products and services that are unprofitable or impossible to deliver. All we can do is put our products and/or services out there and try to find a happy medium that will allow Anime fans to enjoy the genre while supporting a business model that is at least modestly profitable. Once enough Anime fans turn away for the businesses that support the industry (via downloading, waiting only for closeouts, taking up knitting, whatever) there will no longer be any industry. Anime Fans, as a collective, will make that decision.

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. I am sure there is other fandom's social apertures that are just as stupid. But anime always surprises me. To bad that one day people are insightful, and the next they are the pictures next to ignoramuses in the dictionary.

That sounds like a blanket statement post. I think you might want to clarify more to those other posters. I've just been following along with this forum topic through reading only, and with the direction this open discussion has been going, you might catch a whole lot of negative flack for that broad post.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Once enough Anime fans turn away for the businesses that support the industry (via downloading, waiting only for closeouts, taking up knitting

Haha now, now, don't go blaming knitting. For me, knitting and anime go together like cookies and milk. Pop in a new anime DVD, get out my latest sweater or sock, and I'm entertained for hours. If anything, knitting makes me buy more anime, so I've got something to do while I'm knitting.
Clearly, more people need to take up knitting, to save the industry.
HSaabedra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Anime Fans ultimately will decide the fate of the industry, not the companies that create or distribute the products. Anime fans have all the power, hold all the cards, and vote every day with their wallets either by buying or not buying, or when they only want to buy products and services that are unprofitable or impossible to deliver.

All we can do is put our products and/or services out there and try to find a happy medium that will allow Anime fans to enjoy the genre while supporting a business model that is at least modestly profitable.

Once enough Anime fans turn away from the businesses that support the industry (via downloading, waiting only for closeouts, taking up knitting, whatever) there will no longer be any industry. Anime Fans, as a collective, will make that decision.

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store

While I agree with this statement in principle, the reality of the matter is that anime fans are some of the best and worst examples of consumerism at the same time.

Some want an identical R2 release while only wanting to pay R1 pricing, while others refuse to buy a series unless it meets a series of frequently unrealistic criteria that serves to prove that anime distributors are willing to nearly break themselves financially to satisfy the demands of an even smaller minority, while an ever increasing number want a simultaneous release with Japan while being unwilling to pony up for the costs associated with such an undertaking.

Is it any wonder that R1 distributors are at a loss at what to do and making up these new distribution strategies to satisfy the market as a whole without leaving others unsatisfied?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shin ATproof

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Re: Price of DVDs and why people don't buy Anime

ADV isn't a company that has an expensive price model for their DVDs. If you're not buying Anime from say, ADV because of an issue of "price" then you're probably just making an excuse as to why you don't pay for the Anime you watch. Pirates shouldn't make excuses; be proud of being a pirate and stop hiding from a lame excuse. If ADV were selling one or two episodes a DVD at $50+ and it didn't feature anything extra and had poor video/audio, yeah, I could see room for a valid complaint and why one would refuse to buy the DVDs. From what I understand, its a major complaint with Anime fans in Japan because they often pay exorbitant prices for inferior products with low incentives. ADV doesn't fit that bill, hence the lack of a valid complaint.

If you have a job and can afford to pay for stuff you don't need, like Anime (yes, believe it or not, you don't need Anime) then you shouldn't have a problem paying $20-30 for 4-5 episodes every couple of months or like $50+ for a complete series thinpak.

Now some of you may go "but I don't have that kind of money to be spending it on Anime." My response would be you're not in the financial position to be buying anything outside of necessities like rent, utilities, food and transportation...OR you're just too cheap.

What you can do to get around this "obstacle" is save your money until you can afford to feed your hobby OR you can take advantage of places that offer really great sales on Anime.
tidusora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get annoyed by people's theories that ADV is going to shut down just like Geneon. What gets to me is that people are comparing Geneon to ADV Films. How is Geneon like ADV Filims?

Unlike Geneon, ADV Films is actually trying, Geneon just gave up.

The Surplus Office Supplies are leftovers from PiQ, aren't they? Just because they're selling extra supplies, doesn't mean that they're running out of money. They're just auctioning what "junk they have left in the trunk." That statement, however, is not meant to be an insult or anything, it was just a figure of speech. =D

But if anything is happening to ADV Films, an announcement might come, say Otakon? Anime Expo?
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
The prediction for ADV at AX is as follows:

MAJOR New Titles coming out for christmas and TOns- TONS of nick nacks, CDs and what nots abound all around! Free candy for all the good little children at the kiosks and trademark plushy animal giveaways every hour! Did I mention the Major New Titles?! ADV talkbacks there will be filled with voice actors, producers, and marketers ribbing and larfing up a storm of frivolity! The atmosphere will be infectious and a glowing good feeling will be felt to all who are there! The interlube will be flooded with gushing gleeful rapture minutes later and the convention closes with a take of "we are the world" and donations aplenty to struggling artists around the globe!!!

The prediction for ADV after a week passes:
401(k) plans in the Entire company are canceled, drawers are cleaned out and CHAPTER SEVEN (NOT number 11) is enacted.

Wikipedia get updated.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Tsuzuki Love wrote:
daedelus wrote:

Now, more than ever, ADV needs the singles to sell. Yes, the cost of living(gas in particular) is up and so there's less disposable income, but so many people had that knee-jerk reaction to their licensing issue and stopped buying singles in lieu of a thinpak down the road, and it's killing the company.

People who can afford it, I implore you to, for now, stop waiting for thinpaks of series that haven't finished releasing in singles, and buy those singles.

Um, based on his/her location the probability that this person works (or worked) for ADV is extremely high, so if you're going to scoff at what he/she has to say you're pretty much hammering a nail in ADV's coffin.

Sorry, no I have never worked for ADV. I've been in the pharmacy business for the past 13 years.

I'm just a simple fan of ADV and, more importantly, the R1 anime industry. The main point I was trying to make is that ADV needs revenue today, not in 10 months.

To clarify one more thing: Those people who can't/won't buy the singles for currently releasing series aren't bad people. We all have our reasons for purchasing the way we do. My plea was to people who may be willing to pay extra to help one of the R1 industry's pillars remain standing. We should all do what we can....if we want to.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Once enough Anime fans turn away for the businesses that support the industry (via downloading, waiting only for closeouts, taking up knitting, whatever) there will no longer be any industry. Anime Fans, as a collective, will make that decision.

It is true that the industry is really changing. Just a year ago the "500 most watched" list at ANN consisted of mainly titles that were on television or available as R1 DVDs. We are at the point where more people here have seen Ouran High School Host Club than One Piece. More people here have also seen Claymore than Totoro. This would be surprising if these non R1 titles were older classics, but it is far worse since these are fairly new shows that have surpassed many classic titles available in the States. It is no surprise that so many legitimate US anime companies are really suffering.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
Shin ATproof wrote:
If you're not buying Anime from say, ADV because of an issue of "price" then you're probably just making an excuse as to why you don't pay for the Anime you watch.

My issue is that the companies don't do what I want.

I want timely releases. I want Wangan Midnight. I want decently translated Anime. I want quick turnaround.

The problem is, I can back up my wants with ready cash in hand. The companies don't want to cater to what I want or do it at their leisure.
zalas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Shin ATproof wrote:
If you're not buying Anime from say, ADV because of an issue of "price" then you're probably just making an excuse as to why you don't pay for the Anime you watch.

My issue is that the companies don't do what I want.

I want timely releases. I want Wangan Midnight. I want decently translated Anime. I want quick turnaround.

The problem is, I can back up my wants with ready cash in hand. The companies don't want to cater to what I want or do it at their leisure.

Just curious, but how much money are you willing to pony up for a 4-episode DVD with speedy yet great translations? $30? $50? $100? I have a feeling that some of the translation quality problems might lie in the fact that the pay for anime translation isn't that great.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
I have a feeling that some of the translation quality problems might lie in the fact that the pay for anime translation isn't that great.

.....which explains the horrible translations in Battle Vixens and Battle Club.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8