• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Half-Lidded

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and Earthbound still hold up today. They were the best RPGs. We'll see if anybody gives a crap about Skyrim in 10 years.

I love nostalgia. It gets people to say some very foolish statements, as if their love for the games they grew up with represent what people would enjoy today.

You try pushing any of these titles to gamers today, and they'll laugh at you. Throw them on a download system and watch how many suckers will repurchase the game just to "own" it, but not play it completely.

Gamers will laugh at you anyway. Unless you define "gamer" as someone who plays particular kinds of games, they don't agree on anything.

And as someone playing Chrono Trigger for the first time recently (PS1 version), I'd say it holds up pretty well for anime fans. Except that there is untranslated Japanese text on some of the animation, and at least one of the in-game hints only works if you know the Nintendo button-naming conventions.

A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
LOL. Of course, because it's nostalgia these companies are hoping lead to sales.
Quote:
You can poo-poo any thoughts about older RPGs surviving beyond 10 (or even 5) years, but I'd take your bet on Chrono Trigger.

Okay, the onus is on you. You need to go out and find a million+ people, who have never played Chrono Trigger, and get their input to see if the game still holds up.

The "resale" value (which is what I was referencing) is not a pure nostalgia play since that has held firm for the last 15+ years. If it was nostalgia, there would've been a dip as people outgrew the game and then a resurgence when it returned. CT never saw resales drop because people did not SELL their copies. Thus, if you wanted to own it, you had to buy one of the "rare" re-sale copies until it was re-released at which point it again saw sales surge.

In 1995, the original SNES version sold over 2.5 million copies.

In Fiscal 2009, the DS version was SquareEnix's 4th best selling title.
www.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090525_01en.pdf

Starting this year it was released on iOS for $9.99. Can you name ANY other title that can boast such a re-release cycle that has comparable SALES (Chrono Trigger is also emulated all to ****, but I'm saying this is SALES that the title has driven across multiple platforms, many of which can't be pure "nostalgia" plays because how many people keep buying game consoles for themselves, seriously, I know there are gamers, but if you were 16 when CT was released, you're in your early to mid 30s now, have you honestly been buying game consoles across all the changes for the last 2 decades?).

Disney movies STILL SELL because parents buy them for their kids, a great game will endure for the same reason, BUT I totally acknowledge that the hurdle for a game to endure is REALLY high due to the rate of technological advancement. Chrono Trigger will not last another decade or two, but it is one of the only classics from the SNES era.

Saying Chrono Trigger is not "Skyrim good" is like saying the original "Star Wars" is not "Phantom Menace good". Of COURSE the newer item has improved technology and maybe the CURRENT target market likes it better, but I think the question is not as much "will the market in 10 years still like it" so much as "will YOU still like something 10 years later that you like now". Maybe people playing Skyrim today will still want to play it and love it in 15 years in the same volumes as CT now, but somehow I doubt it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

It's just like anime. Trying to get today's fans to watch Dirty Pair or Cowboy Bebop will be an arduous task, because these shows didn't stand the test of time. If they had, many of today's fans wouldn't say, "I'm not watching that old crap."

Sunrise should totally remake Cowboy Beebop and replace Spike and Jet with two big breasted tsunderes who say "uuug" because that's going to stand the test of time.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Please don't even joke about that.

spoiler[;__;]
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Please don't even joke about that.

spoiler[;__;]

I hope they would still use Spike's moves. Imagine those breasts bouncin'.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

It's just like anime. Trying to get today's fans to watch Dirty Pair or Cowboy Bebop will be an arduous task, because these shows didn't stand the test of time. If they had, many of today's fans wouldn't say, "I'm not watching that old crap."

Wow. Cowboy Bebop doesn't stand the test of time? You really believe that?

Comparing it to Dirty Pair?

That's just hilarious. Cowboy Bebop, the show that people will to this day watch the billionth repeat of on Cartoon Network. Doesn't hold up.

Sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe Sentai can start grabbing some of the older PreCures and release them sub-only, but Sailor Moon operates on nostalgia, and CCS operates on being a fantastic anime regardless of its genre... No one's going to run the risk of licensing Heartcatch and fully dub it just for all of the networks to tell them to bugger off, same with that new soccer anime.

If they could only release one Precure, Heartcatch would make the most sense. It has the biggest base and the most potential for growth. After all, it singlehandedly revived the English-language fandom for the franchise. Sub-only is fine with me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe Sentai can start grabbing some of the older PreCures and release them sub-only, but Sailor Moon operates on nostalgia, and CCS operates on being a fantastic anime regardless of its genre... No one's going to run the risk of licensing Heartcatch and fully dub it just for all of the networks to tell them to bugger off, same with that new soccer anime.

If they could only release one Precure, Heartcatch would make the most sense. It has the biggest base and the most potential for growth. After all, it singlehandedly revived the English-language fandom for the franchise. Sub-only is fine with me.

What exactly makes it the best? I'm currently marathoning the Precures in order (up to about episode 10 in Splash Star), so I haven't gotten up to that one yet...
Kakugo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

So what anime would you say stands the test of time, exactly...?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
CCS operates on being a fantastic anime regardless of its genre.

That's debatable, since it also has a 'dub' they can cash in with nostalgia (and CCS got a very limited sub-only release anyway, it's not like it was some huge franchise). Especially when easy to argue better series (Ojamajo Doremi) don't get to use that 'fantastic regardless of genre' excuse to exist.

HeeroTX wrote:
Saying Chrono Trigger is not "Skyrim good" is like saying the original "Star Wars" is not "Phantom Menace good". Of COURSE the newer item has improved technology and maybe the CURRENT target market likes it better, but I think the question is not as much "will the market in 10 years still like it" so much as "will YOU still like something 10 years later that you like now". Maybe people playing Skyrim today will still want to play it and love it in 15 years in the same volumes as CT now, but somehow I doubt it.

Skyrim, and the bulk of western games, are a bit different. People won't care about Skyrim so much as they'll care about whatever current Elder Scrolls game is out at the time. 6, 7, 8, or whatever. Skyrim will be irrelevant after the next installment, just like Oblivion is now. That's the main thing with sandbox games and annual franchises. As long as the current game has more feature so they can run around and blow stuff up, that's all that matters, since they're not judging it based on the story or anything. That's generally why not nearly as many people care about GTA2 as they do the current 4, it's technically inferior to 4. I guess you could use EA sports games and Call of Duty here as well. Why play Madden 11 when you have 12 and 13 which has (I assume) more feature?

RyanSaotome wrote:
What exactly makes it the best? I'm currently marathoning the Precures in order (up to about episode 10 in Splash Star), so I haven't gotten up to that one yet...

Heartcatch is basically the Final Fantasy 7 of Precure. All the casuals/non Precure/FF fans jumped in at that point and loved it to death because it was something new for them. Not necessarily because it's the best, but it was a lot of people's first. Which is why none of the later installments are as popular, those casual fans left the fandom afterwards. They weren't Precure/FF fans so much as they were Heartcatch/7 fans. Smile, the current series, has already surpassed Heartcatch's popularity in Japan, for example.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

If I had to narrow it down to three things, I'd say:

- the pacing is very smooth; there aren't a lot of filler blocks without story progression.
- it has the cutest art style.
- the characters show the most development over the course of the series.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I know this is a little late but I was 'doing my homework.' Key the Metal Idol is not 'great' on all counts, but far from terrible (IMHO). I had to watch it again to reconfirm my initial feelings. If anything, I got more out of it than I had the first time. It's a very long, slow burn of a show, but I think it excels on one count in particular. It's story crosses the finish line. Whatever you think about how it does it, it does. Sure lots of stories do, but of the kind that throw out lots of mystery and intrigue, I feel it's one of the best that I've seen. When a show throws a big question mark your way, you want it answered. It generously justifies itself for all it's ambitions. I never noticed how much dialogue was going on at the end because I was satisfied that they were actually saying something. For all the magic and pseudo science that is there, the answer is seldom 'just because.'There are other things that it does well, but I'll leave that aside for now.

Unfinished business and unanswered questions/poorly answered questions are a big complaint about these types of shows. I think. Key deserves some credit in this regard.

YMMV.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
I like that Justin mentions "people who read National Review" as "high-brow conservatives," seeing as two of the websites I visit most often are ANN and NRO. xD

But yeah, anime can definitely be off-putting to social conservatives. The hyper-sexuality goes against my grain, but it doesn't drive me away because there's so much good in anime that outweighs the offensive garbage. I imagine that's how liberal fans of The Dark Knight love it despite the Patriot Act Saves Gotham bit.

Would like to mention one of the anime films that really attracts rather than repels social conservatives: Summer Wars. It's all so very pro-family and wholesome. Proof: my mom loved it just as much as the teenage anime fans she drove to the theater did.

Also Zac, your liberality is not a problem at all. The problem is that you can be condescending and vitriolic, but I know that at least one social conservative still loves you anyway, especially because you call out the objectification of women where you see it.

EDIT: E.V.O. should, should, should have been one of the best games ever, but it totally fell apart as soon as the undersea era ended. Repetitive music, awful grinding, descent into ridiculousness, ugh. I loved it when I was twelve, I still love the beginning, but the thing breaks my heart how much potential it squandered.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Don't think 10 bit is going to have any effect on the fansub viewing community.

We already have to have additional software to watch anime fansubs prior to the introduction of 10 bit, so you just update your software and keep on trucking.

The Republican party is made up of more than just the Tea Party, Religious Right, and the NeoCons. Moderate Republicans should have no problem watching anime, I have been watching anime for 30 years now.

Personally, I don't talk politics with strangers. Unless you know who you are talking to, things could go south pretty fast.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Finally getting around to listening this. My question was answered! Thanks, Zac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6