• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto to Run Uncut on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,Beatdigga,I have seen the show in edited form. And that's how I hope it remains. Without any bad language in it at all.

The hell?
If you're afraid of bad language, then you shouldn't be watching Toonami or most anime for that matter.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm with MasterKingJC on this one. This hypocrisy is getting out of hand.
therau05

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Guys, if you don't want to watch Naruto, just change the channel. Come back to Toonami at 1 when Tenchi Muyo GXP comes on. Stop complaining about something that is effectively free. The crew tries to get what they can with what they have and I at least am going to keep watching and supporting Toonami
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
therau05 wrote:
Guys, if you don't want to watch Naruto, just change the channel. Come back to Toonami at 1 when Tenchi Muyo GXP comes on. Stop complaining about something that is effectively free. The crew tries to get what they can with what they have and I at least am going to keep watching and supporting Toonami

That's the problem. This asinine idea that you must support Toonami no matter what they air. Well I say don't support them and force them to re-evaluate.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,Beatdigga,I have seen the show in edited form. And that's how I hope it remains. Without any bad language in it at all.

If you're up late enough to watch it, chances are you're old enough to handle a little salty dialogue. It's not like they're fifteening hard.

I personally lost interest in Naruto after the Chuunin Exam, though. Too many characters, too little plot progress. And the title character is hardly even the main character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I personally lost interest in Naruto after the Chuunin Exam, though. Too many characters, too little plot progress. And the title character is hardly even the main character.

Pretty much this. I still play the games and all that but I just haven't picked up the manga or anime since the end of the Sasuke Rescue arc.

I just couldn't keep up with the slooooooow plot progression and all the filler characters.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I just want some anime here in Canada on TV. You guys are lucky to get Toonami back
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Now the Naruto dub-haters can stop bitching about how Naruto is censored in the US. Although, they could have just bought the DVDs to watch it uncut YEARS AGO!

Also, it's pathetic to whine about an anime show for being censored on TV is if it's not the same show anymore because anime or not EVERYTHING IS CENSORED!!

Well here's the ironic part while people complain about anime censored on US TV, people that watch fansubbed anime are technically watching censored anime (anime do get censored on Japanese TV also). I learned it the hard way when I found the Girls Bravo fansubs was censored while the DVD with the dub was uncut. The fansubbers used the TV broadcast version for the fansubbing, so people that are complaining about US censored anime and watching fansubbed anime (when the fansub version is using the censor version from JPN TV broadcast) are not only whiny but hypocrite and ignorant. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our shows from US get censored on Japanese TV.

TopGunman wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Now the Naruto dub-haters can stop bitching about how Naruto is censored in the US. Although, they could have just bought the DVDs to watch it uncut YEARS AGO!

Also, it's pathetic to whine about an anime show for being censored on TV is if it's not the same show anymore because anime or not EVERYTHING IS CENSORED!!

Unfortunately, this was the point in the series where Naruto still said "Believe it."

He kept saying 'Dattebayo' in Japanese, why is 'believe it' a big deal? -

And please don't anybody say 'it's annoying' because Naruto is SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOYING.

Speaking of annoying, what does "Dattebayo" translate to (I hope it does not mean anything vulgar or sexual)? I know people are annoy by "Believe it", but I also find "dattebayo" annoying too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Speaking of annoying, what does "Dattebayo" translate to (I hope it does not mean anything vulgar or sexual)? I know people are annoy by "Believe it", but I also find "dattebayo" annoying too.

I think it's one of those words that doesn't have an exact equivalent in English. I remember reading a rough translation somewhere but I don't remember what it was.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
There have been referrals to Adult Swim being a block. It is not. Adult Swim is considered its own channel and operates independently of Cartoon Network. Toonami is a block on Adult Swim.

And there have been plenty of times that shows targeted at a younger audience have aired on AS. Clone Wars, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Astro Boy to name a few.

It seems to me that Toonami is attempting to operate somewhat on it's own, with a possible goal of totally taking over AS's Saturday night lineup. They're aiming for more than just the older demo here. They are not simply trying to placate the old fans. The April Fools event was not meant to be an indicator of what to expect from the new Toonami.

Also, they do not have One Piece because One Piece is, no doubt, much more expensive than Naruto. Toonami's budget is tiny. They have 6 people working on it and they aren't getting paid to do it (save for one of them, I think).

It should be noted that Toonami's going to have 10 different shows airing on one night, several of which are either new for the network or completely new to American broadcast. Never before this point did Toonami have this diverse of a lineup nor was it ever 6 hours long. You should not be going into Toonami expecting AS ACTN. You should be going into it expecting Toonami. A bit older, and not the same exact thing you remember, but the same in spirit.

Last edited by TheGameNinja on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

Unfortunately, this was the point in the series where Naruto still said "Believe it."

He kept saying 'Dattebayo' in Japanese, why is 'believe it' a big deal? -

And please don't anybody say 'it's annoying' because Naruto is SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOYING.

It's less about being annoying and more about Naruto being Naruto. Most Japanese fans are used to this since other series also have characters with speech quirks.

It's hard to understand in the western world because we express ourselves and punctuation in speech using vocal inflections and shifts in volume. When people say that dattebayo is meaningless, they are not being entirely honest. Technically is correct, if redundant, Japanese that has meaning/significance.

-da is the form of "to be" verb that you see at the end of a lot of Japanese sentences. The polite form you will recognize as "-desu".

-tteba is like saying "listen up" more or less; you see anime chars saying it when another person isn't paying attention, but the speaker wants them to (presumably because they are saying something important). It is almost always informal, so gets jammed on to any informal verb, including -da.

-yo serves as emphasis punctuation, like a double exclamation point. It is pretty rude to use in many situations and may carry a tone equivalent to speaking in ALL CAPS, especially to people above you.

-dattebayo and -ttebayo is Naruto trying very hard to get people to give him attention/acknowledge him because, you know, everybody treated him like unwanted trash as a kid. I guess old habits die hard, but I find it endearing. It fits him, too, since he wears his heart on his sleeve and tends to speak his mind, which is very not Japanese.

I don't envy the job of dubbing this since Naruto intentionally draws this already long sentence ender out when the best translation into English is "!!!". Any words actually substituted in sound pretty shoehorned. It really is one of those things that defies translation into speech. But they have to fill in the mouth flaps, which is also made difficult since Naruto likes to use this a lot. If it wasn't "believe it," it would be something else.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't care if they're starting from the beginning. Anyone still watching/reading Naruto is probably where I am - sick of the ninja war BS, and reminiscing when the show was just about three little ninja kids and their perverted ninja teacher. I say hell yeah, bring it. I'll watch it when I'm semi-passed out after a Saturday night out and relieve my early weeabo years. Geh, wait, nevermind. I don't want to think about that stuff.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Last I checked, this isn't the 90's anymore. We're no longer at the mercy of television executives who keep an iron grip over the shows we like. There are uncut DVDs of Shippunden available and people can and will find ways to get uncut views of their shows online. If these kinds of execs value their money more than their viewers, then they are in for a rude awakening.

Clearly, but I was talking about the fate of Shippuden on television not any other medium.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Aw geez guys..... I've been ecstatic about all of the recent shows they've grabbed, but this is different.

I hope it's so they can replace Bleach with Naruto once Bleach ends. (soon, right? I dunno.)

Otherwise like others' say, it's too much shonen rerun.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
Adamb15 wrote:
Aw geez guys..... I've been ecstatic about all of the recent shows they've grabbed, but this is different.

I hope it's so they can replace Bleach with Naruto once Bleach ends. (soon, right? I dunno.)

Otherwise like others' say, it's too much shonen rerun.

Bleach probably won't be done for another 2 years at the rate its airing. Theres like 80 episodes left, but with the long breaks they take in the dub it will be a long time before it finishes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8