• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Club Leader Jailed For Teen Sex Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Fierywind12 wrote:

When did I say acquaintance rape was of a lesser degree? I in fact only gave one example of a rape and didn't give examples of lesser degrees,

That's my fault. You're right, I put words in your mouth, I'm sorry.

What, pray tell, would be some examples of "lesser degrees" of rape?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Fierywind12 wrote:

When did I say acquaintance rape was of a lesser degree?

Fierywind12 wrote:

To say that all rape is the same is presumably to avoid the trivialization of some forms of rape, but to refuse to acknowledge that there are in fact lesser degrees of rape compared to pulling someone off the street and raping them in some back-alley actually trivializes the latter.

If pulling someone off the street and raping them in an alley is the "worst" then yes, non-violent acquaintance rape would be "lesser," by your own argument.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fierywind12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Fierywind12 wrote:

When did I say acquaintance rape was of a lesser degree?

Fierywind12 wrote:

To say that all rape is the same is presumably to avoid the trivialization of some forms of rape, but to refuse to acknowledge that there are in fact lesser degrees of rape compared to pulling someone off the street and raping them in some back-alley actually trivializes the latter.

If pulling someone off the street and raping them in an alley is the "worst" then yes, non-violent acquaintance rape would be "lesser," by your own argument.

I did not say that there are no rapes that equal pulling someone off a street. Once again, please do not put words in my mouth to fit your own argument. I'm no straw-man for your personal bias. As for bamboo's question, an example of a lesser degree of rape, legally speaking, would typically be rape with no physical injuries beyond the rape itself, which carries a less-harsh sentence. Another would be statutory rape where the rapist is within a defined number of years older than the victim, such as 3 for some states, which makes it a misdemeanor below that age and a felony above.

Last edited by Fierywind12 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
(I am, of course, assuming that the intoxication was perfectly willful - otherwise we veer towards flat-out territory).
in the UK under aged drinking and getting drunk is also "flat-out" illegal.

This is me just nitpicking because I'm a pedant but technically the UK purchase age is 18, the UK drinking age is 5.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s#legaldrinkingage
I'm sure you've read all of that and noticed the statement under "How much is too much for under 18s to drink?"
Quote:
The UK chief medical officers recommend an alcohol-free childhood is the healthiest and best option.....There’s lots of debate about whether it’s OK to let children have a small amount of alcohol to try - some people call this the continental approach. But there’s no scientific evidence to prove this gives children a responsible attitude to drinking in later life.

Research shows the earlier a child starts drinking, the higher their chances of developing alcohol abuse or dependence in their teenage years and as an adult. Children who drink before age 15 are most vulnerable to alcohol misuse later in life.

So, parents play a crucial role in delaying a child's first drink.

It may be tempting to offer your child a sip of alcohol on special occasions so they don’t feel left out. This could send mixed messages about whether they are or aren’t allowed to drink.

Of course, children are naturally curious, so they’ll probably ask you questions if they see you drinking and may ask you to try some. Rather than offering them a sip, use this as a chance to talk to them openly and honestly about the facts.

You might think that allowing your child to try alcohol will demystify any uncertainties they may have. Instead, as with issues like smoking and drugs, it’s better to let them know they can ask you anything, at any time, about alcohol. If you don’t know the answer, be honest and suggest you find out together.

If you’ve already given your child a drink, it’s best to be honest and explain that if they carry on drinking it could harm them so they aren’t allowed to continue. Reassure them that if they stop, any effects drinking has already on their body are likely to be reversible, but if you’re worried it’s best to talk to your GP.
I have given sips of alcoholic drink to my children in the past just so they could taste what it's all about and I've told them the horror stories of some of the drunkards that were in my family during my childhood. Both are now grown ups. My son drinks responsibly and my daughter still doesn't like the taste and so doesn't drink alcohol at all. But it still doesn't matter in this case as nowhere does it state the girls were intoxicated during the abuse anyway.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Fierywind12 wrote:

I did not say that there are no rapes that equal pulling someone off a street. Once again, please do not put words in my mouth to fit your own argument. I'm no straw-man for your personal bias. As for bamboo's question, an example of a lesser degree of rape, legally speaking, would typically be rape with no physical injuries beyond the rape itself, which carries a less-harsh sentence. Another would be statutory rape where the rapist is within a defined number of years older than the victim, such as 3 for some states, which makes it a misdemeanor below that age and a felony above.

So, stating that these instances that carry lighter sentences are as bad as raping someone in a back alley trivializes the rape of someone in a back alley?

Just trying to follow your logic here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zetacheesecake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
You make it sound like I was right then - he sounds like someone naive without a clue, not a 'sexual predator'.

he was not a mental retard, he knew exactly what he was doing, and quite frankly it sickens me that some of you seek to justify abuse of minors in anyway, just because you see it normalized in fiction does not mean its justified in real life.

faintsmile1992 wrote:

Out of curiosity, since you know some things we don't can I ask his age at the actual time please and the age of the girls involved at the time? This kind of information is important to understanding the charges and the sentencing but it was withheld by the author of the piece.

Nigel was in his twenties at the time of abuse and a manager of children's clubs, at least two of the victims were underage at the time of abuse and the third of im not sure about. You ask as if you beleived 3 different girls would conspire in the courts just to bring down an old boyfriend from high school?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have given sips of alcoholic drink to my children in the past just so they could taste what it's all about and I've told them the horror stories of some of the drunkards that were in my family during my childhood. Both are now grown ups. My son drinks responsibly and my daughter still doesn't like the taste and so doesn't drink alcohol at all. But it still doesn't matter in this case as nowhere does it state the girls were intoxicated during the abuse anyway.

Yeah it's pretty much parent dependant. My parents did the same with me and my two brothers and my youngest brother doesn't like the taste and my middle brother only drinks on occasion. Of the three I'm probably the worst Embarassed but I'm not too bad (I hope). Mind you one of my mother's uncles gave me a whisky and lemonade when I was 2 as I was fussing for it and he thought it would put me off when I tasted it....

...I took a gulp and handed it back without a flacker. Some much for that theory. (And yeah I wound up liking whisky in the end, preferably straight single malt though).
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Zetacheesecake wrote:
he was not a mental retard, he knew exactly what he was doing,
No one suggested he was lol, immaturity and awkwardness, which are commonly found among anime fans, aren't mental retardedness. But people's growth isn't just the brain developing normally, but about life experiences. And a lot of people interested in things like anime and manga really do lack life experiences people might expect them to have.

Quote:
...and quite frankly it sickens me that some of you seek to justify abuse of minors in anyway, just because you see it normalized in fiction does not mean its justified in real life.
Who me? If anything I'm against kiddy hentai. Unless by 'normalised in fiction' you mean non-hentai material people like Ishihara wouldn't have a problem with. Yea well, if you have a problem with the realistic relationships shown as normal in regular anime and manga, its an odd forum for you to post on. Wink

Quote:
Nigel was in his twenties at the time of abuse and a manager of children's clubs, at least two of the victims were underage at the time of abuse and the third of im not sure about.
OK, I just thought you might've known more about the people involved. I wasn't asking for their names or anything personal about them, only a few relevant details the journalist chose to hold back which always looks suspicious. If a journalist wants to try and make a headline they make something look as bad as they can.

Quote:
You ask as if you believed 3 different girls would conspire in the courts just to bring down an old boyfriend from high school?
Not particularly because someone said one of the girls looked prepubescent, and that suggests an age gap if he was already old enough to be head of an anime club at the time. I'm not judging anything till I have a better idea whats going on.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
It's disgusting that this discussion isn't as black-and-white as it should've been.

I agree.

On a similar note, your forum clean-up is much appreciated, Zac! Very Happy
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
Zac clearly has strong opinions on sex abuse cases, and he's completely entitled to voice them through the many editorial channels available to him, but "forum cleanup" of readers who question or disagree with those opinions in the context of ANN news reporting is a completely transparent example of editorial staff using forum mod powers to silence criticism and discourage other points of view.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”

Laughing I do find it a bit funny the people euthanized so far were those with dissenting opinions from the general tone of these threads. It is definitely a bit of a shame to see some posters who's views I either agreed with or appreciated in the discussion are being silence based on personal prejudice. Somehow I feel things will be much more boring and homogeneous around here for the time being.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless you see the entire trial, or plea bargain, or whatever happened in court, you'll never have all of the details that were used in his conviction. Reading a short and undetailed blurb doesn't give the specifics. It doesn't even say for certain or not if it was rape, just "sexual activity", for which I don't know English law and I don't know the specifics of the charges. Does anyone else?

Something I always try to do. It's a bad habit when the word 'rape' gets thrown around just because a guy was 18 and his girlfriend was one year younger at 17 and they both had consensual sex, but in the court of law it's treated the same as some violent rape scenario rather than kids fooling around. Media outlets and views on sex should always be questioned, I find Laughing I suppose we live in a 'guilty until proven innocent' society about this, though, so people tend to not ask these questions.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
mdreura wrote:
Zac clearly has strong opinions on sex abuse cases, and he's completely entitled to voice them through the many editorial channels available to him, but "forum cleanup" of readers who question or disagree with those opinions in the context of ANN news reporting is a completely transparent example of editorial staff using forum mod powers to silence criticism and discourage other points of view.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”

Laughing I do find it a bit funny the people euthanized so far were those with dissenting opinions from the general tone of these threads. It is definitely a bit of a shame to see some posters who's views I either agreed with or appreciated in the discussion are being silence based on personal prejudice. Somehow I feel things will be much more boring and homogeneous around here for the time being.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless you see the entire trial, or plea bargain, or whatever happened in court, you'll never have all of the details that were used in his conviction. Reading a short and undetailed blurb doesn't give the specifics. It doesn't even say for certain or not if it was rape, just "sexual activity", for which I don't know English law and I don't know the specifics of the charges. Does anyone else?

Something I always try to do. It's a bad habit when the word 'rape' gets thrown around just because a guy was 18 and his girlfriend was one year younger at 17 and they both had consensual sex, but in the court of law it's treated the same as some violent rape scenario rather than kids fooling around. Media outlets and views on sex should always be questioned, I find Laughing I suppose we live in a 'guilty until proven innocent' society about this, though, so people tend to not ask these questions.

Oh being a rape apologist is such a burden to bear, isn't it?
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, no need for ad hominems, strawmanning, and hyperbole. Laughing Surely you can see the difference between the two scenarios.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Why does ANN even run these articles? The only reason I can think of is just to troll the talkback forums, which seems to be effective every time.

This whole thing doesn't really have anything to do with anime at all. Oh, stop the presses, some guy got arrested and put in prison because he committed a crime, and he also watches anime! Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
I do find it a bit funny the people euthanized so far were those with dissenting opinions from the general tone of these threads. It is definitely a bit of a shame to see some posters who's views I either agreed with or appreciated in the discussion are being silence based on personal prejudice. Somehow I feel things will be much more boring and homogeneous around here for the time being.

Taken out so far:

TitanXL
dtm42

So that's 2 people who have had nonstop complaints about them from other users for the last several years because they couldn't stop A) hammering the post button so often that every thread had to be about their awful opinions on things and B) wouldn't stop "JUST ASKING QUESTIONS MAYBE IT'S NOT RAPE BECAUSE" about every single sexual predator that gets brought up in the news.

2 people. You're right, maybe it'll be more boring around here as a result, but that's the kind of boring I'm OK with.
PachiPortrait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Why does ANN even run these articles? The only reason I can think of is just to troll the talkback forums, which seems to be effective every time.

This whole thing doesn't really have anything to do with anime at all. Oh, stop the presses, some guy got arrested and put in prison because he committed a crime, and he also watches anime! Rolling Eyes

Probably because there's meaningful discussion that can be gleaned from this, such as examining social conduct and personal safety in a club setting (I could assume the girls he assaulted were members of one of those clubs, though the article doesn't indicate in either direction). By nature any Joe Shmoe can start their own club if they're not under suspicion - it's a scary thought. Unfortunately that discussion doesn't do much for preventing these actions because all you can do is not join any clubs or silently hope no-one in your club is a registered sex offender.

I'd much rather be reading discussion on how this abuse may be related to the clubs he ran and does this reveal anything about social distribution of anime culture in this age. Y'know, instead of wondering if there was or wasn't rape and how much rape is too much rape because there is no scale for that shit. Rape is rape. It's horrible, and the act of questioning "degrees of rape" which subconsciously makes you come across as a rape apologist is insulting to the victims. End of story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9