• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
All this Etoile stuff is new to the anime. As I said previously the original character has a much smaller role. Not wanting to spoil anything about it. Etoile is much more interesting than before, and wouldn`t be appearing for quite a while normally. Still fills a similar role but in a much larger way.

I did not notice an animation drop that was that huge personally in this episode. The fight with Hermes was done well. For this show visually not having bad CG is already a big improvement.

Still entertained by how the reviewer seems to see a different show than me. I don`t see the shadowy figure Hermes talks with as appearing to be in control of him at all. The way he spoke to him was way too rude to be a vassal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I don`t see the shadowy figure Hermes talks with as appearing to be in control of him at all. The way he spoke to him was way too rude to be a vassal.

I guess it depends on how you define "control." As I read it, the old man is working for Hermes as long as their goals are aligned, but that could change, and if it does, the threat is that he could bring Hermes down. So in a sense, that is control. Hermes certainly does not seem to be the one in power here, even if he's calling the shots for now.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
Recently, the reviewers of ANN are almost girls...and I don't want be a jerk for saying that but the old male reviewers were better.
Chrysostomus wrote:
It's not that they're women, it's that some of them try to review anime under the lens of feminism when there is next to no reason under the sun to use an ideology that is so far-removed from the world of anime.

You might as well try to review anime under a Marxist perspective. Or maybe even a Christian one! If anyone did that they would be laughed out of ANN, but no, feminism gets a special exemption.
JesuOtaku wrote:
Funny, there's not a single mention of feminism in this review at all!

So that means this is both off-topic and needlessly personal. This is where this line of conversation stops. Period.

Side note, we have several new male reviewers right alongside the couple women, (it was actually completely 50/50 when we brought people on, but two of the new men left within a couple months.) So it's interesting that you choose to mention the gender of new reviewers as if it's some contributing factor to reviews not being as good. By interesting, I mean awful.
{Fixed your inline quotes for you. ~nobahn}

{Hope Chapman (JesuOtaku) told you to cut it out. Just because she's not a moderator doesn't mean that that you can ignore her with impunity. ~nobahn}
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:

I did not notice an animation drop that was that huge personally in this episode. The fight with Hermes was done well. For this show visually not having bad CG is already a big improvement.

I didn't notice the drop in quality in the actual movement of characters. It was more in the still frames of characters. Go rewatch the scene with Gieve and Farangis. Pay specific attention to how their faces are drawn during their scenes.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, rewatched the episode. After the opening there is a cart that is being shifted rather than animated and indeed during Farangis and Gieves conversation their faces change quite a lot. The many variations make it a strange bad animation incident since it almost seems to be purposefully done. Even watching again looking for the issues, those are the only things that really stand out compared to earlier episodes.

Weird that the face they would give up on is Farangis, normally women are given focus in the art department.

Want to spoil Etoile, but it`s almost not even worth it since the character is so different. I would definitely say that the use is an improvement so far on the story.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather enjoying this show, though our main "hero" remains pretty worthless overall. It's certainly better than the breakneck speed of the original OVAs where nothing stops to breathe. The fight between Daryun and Hermes/Silvermask might be the best sword fight I've ever seen in anime and I even enjoyed Innocentus' pathetic bid to marry the queen (and the chief priest losing it over that).

After a few shaky beginning episodes, this really has shaped up to be an excellent watch.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm very much enjoying this show, but I'm wondering at this point how they're going to realistically get Arslan from where he is now to where he needs to be to be a good enough king for the story to have a satisfying resolution, because they've used almost half their episodes already and he's still pretty much just as garbage as he was at the beginning only now he knows it. The characters around him are so much more interesting and colorful that he's constantly overshadowed, and his character development seems to be almost shoved to the background in favor of theirs as well. Hopefully the middle run of episodes gives him a good character growth arc. Right now, I almost cringe when he's featured on my screen, although part of that is his character design, I think.
animelytical

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I actually think a great deal of the character development has centred around him. He hasn't become a guy who can effortlessly fight hundreds of men, but he is learning what it truly means to be a king. At the end of the day, he has Daryun to defend him and Narsus to land for him. This is really realistic at the moment. He should be learning to lead and win over people before earning to become a warrior.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why people don't like Arslan. I think he's a really good character who's undergone (and continues to undergo) serious and good character development. He's quite realistic and well-written, and this episode in particular solidified that.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
animelytical wrote:
I actually think a great deal of the character development has centred around him. He hasn't become a guy who can effortlessly fight hundreds of men, but he is learning what it truly means to be a king. At the end of the day, he has Daryun to defend him and Narsus to land for him. This is really realistic at the moment. He should be learning to lead and win over people before earning to become a warrior.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I really don't understand why people don't like Arslan. I think he's a really good character who's undergone (and continues to undergo) serious and good character development. He's quite realistic and well-written, and this episode in particular solidified that.

Agreed. I've really enjoyed it. This episode was really nice payoff too as highlighted in the review.

Quote:
However, I have a feeling that Dismuke will grow on me in future episodes. He fits Arslan's mix of playfulness and seriousness, but just sounds like an older version of him than what we see in the first episode. It's a good thing we don't have long to wait for the character to grow into his more teenage-sounding voice. Otherwise, the casting is solid. I especially like Ricco Fajardo's trusty Daryun and Stephanie Young's stoic Queen Tahamenay. Mike McFarland also makes a great narrator.

My thoughts exactly. The Japanese VA was definitely better for ep 1 young Arslan, but I think Dismuke will be great for his main age. I'm also glad I really enjoyed hearing Daryun's as well as I'm not particularly familiar with his dub VA yet since I think I've only heard him a few times. Had a feeling Stephanie Young's voice would fit great. Agreed on McFarland, he was a great choice to narrate.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
animelytical wrote:

I don't expect him to be a warrior who can effortlessly fight anyone, though. That's what Daryun and them are for. I do expect him to be a leader. And he only has 15 more episodes in which to become one. He can't let Narsus and Daryun do all his fighting and leading or he'll be seen as a puppet king and no one will be willing to come to his side, as shown in this episode... if Arslan himself was a more charismatic, mentally strong person, he'd inspire more loyalty, and his subjects wouldn't think he was a puppet that they could take for themselves if they could just dispose of Narsus and Daryun. Because this is a thing, in real life, and it's hard to get out from under once public perception of you swings in this direction. Narsus realized this in this episode, at least, so that was progress, but again, that was NARSUS' character development.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
We don't even know this show is going to end with 24 episodes, or whether it ends with that it will be the definitive end or just an open where Arslan accomplished some objectives but there's still more, sort of like Yona of the Dawn.

In fact, like Yona, I appreciate in both shows that they try to make learn bit by bit, step by step, to their main character, in a way that you feel how slowly but surely and believable they are growing. It's tiring to see just for them to come badasses in a blink. In both it's probably going to need more episodes, but I wouldn't mind, this is a show supposed to be slow and large so I'm fine with developing a character this way, and so far I think they are doing well. In fact I'd argue the problem is more the opposite, the other characters but Arslan don't have that much development other than being there and being themselves, but I don't mind yet.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't want him to be a badass... I just want him to show at least the potential for charisma. But I feel like I'm not expressing what I mean correctly, and I can't think of a way to express it differently, so I'm tapping out for now. Laughing

I'm not down on the show, btw. That's my only complaint, and it could easily be resolved in the next few episodes. I'm just wondering how they're going to get where they need to go by the time they need to go there, since, as they keep telling us, at some point, the boy will become king. Very Happy
animelytical

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
animelytical wrote:

I don't expect him to be a warrior who can effortlessly fight anyone, though. That's what Daryun and them are for. I do expect him to be a leader. And he only has 15 more episodes in which to become one. He can't let Narsus and Daryun do all his fighting and leading or he'll be seen as a puppet king and no one will be willing to come to his side, as shown in this episode... if Arslan himself was a more charismatic, mentally strong person, he'd inspire more loyalty, and his subjects wouldn't think he was a puppet that they could take for themselves if they could just dispose of Narsus and Daryun. Because this is a thing, in real life, and it's hard to get out from under once public perception of you swings in this direction. Narsus realized this in this episode, at least, so that was progress, but again, that was NARSUS' character development.

Narsus taught Arslan that his ideals aren't always going to make all the people happy, even with pure intentions. He taught him through experience so that his lesson wouldn't be brushed off. I'd certainly say Arslan developed from understanding that the reality of childish ideals may be a little different. Arslan as a character is pretty developed. He hasn't developed into a king, but there is no reason why he should be just because this season of it ends at 24 episodes. He could very well be, however, what really needs to happen, is clarity on the ambitions and character of Silvermask.

Arslan not yet being charismatic is hardly the problem when it is clear that many of the nobles rely on slave labour and do not want any radical reform. Obviously, this is a good chance to influence Arslan, not because he lacks charisma, but because he is a 14 year old boy. He does inspire loyalty, but with nothing necessarily to offer, he only earns loyalty for those who are not loyal to gold first and foremost. Are you suggesting that Arslan should hurry up and evolve from a boy who had only ever fought one battle, and has no leadership experience, to someone who has such strong charisma, those who seek power and money will stop seeking these things? Or that the world they live in only features people that primarily look for charisma.

In fact, his role for the time being was made clear to him by Narsus. He needs to inspire through his unwavering resolve and kindness. This is hinted at in the way he commanded that the boys that led to his capture be spared, changing their way of thinking from one of, "We'd need to protect Arslan, he looks like he needs it", to, " I want to lay down my life for Arslan one day".

Currently, he is a 14 year old boy. There is no kind of character he could have that wouldn't have selfish nobles thinking they can use him. However, he escaped the room and relayed information to his group of his own volition, showing he has the wherewithal to lead, even without the raw power or the experience required for strategy. There'll probably be more of Arslan in the future. For now, as he actually gains experience, we'll witness his struggle as someone with little experience. Without the need for too much of a time skip. We know exactly how he began to learn what he requires to grow into a suitable king. He is already a beacon that can unite the kingdom. Arslan is a leader though. Final decisions are up to him. He has the trust of his group. No leader can trust everyone, but a leader with less power has less people they can trust. The easiest way for him to gain the power to go from a leader of a team, to the leader of a country, relies on having a huge army.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Again, I'm clearly not communicating what I mean correctly as I'm being misunderstood left and right here. Smile

I don't want Arslan to be a badass right now. I don't want him to be a warrior right now. I don't want him to be a good leader right now. I don't want him to already have +1000 charisma. I mean, he's like 13. But he needs to show SOME HINTS OF POTENTIAL that can be explored in future episodes. That's all I want. Probably next week it will happen, and all my bitching will have been for naught.

And again, since the ideas in my head aren't coming across the way I want on paper, here, I'm going to bow out. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17