• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baccano! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Graham reminds me of Viral from Gurren Lagann. spoiler[He talks a lot about lost rivalry and revenge while trying to stay at the top, but in the end he's a decent guy with a lot of bad quirks. I rather liked the character and even had some respect for him at the end.]

I'm going to wait on watching the dub until the DVDs start coming out (less than two weeks!). As much as I enjoyed watching it in Japanese this is the type of show I just HAVE to watch in English without the language being mangled -- not that the English speakers are any better when it comes to Japanese, and in all fairness this series did do a decent job, it just doesn't sound right to my American ears having all of these Americans speaking Japanese. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Listened to a few spots of the English dub, so this is a potentially unreliable impression, but... I think I'll actually stick with the Japanese track. Part of it is the attachment to the original voice actors.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm the same when it comes me being attachmented to the seiyu, so I'll more than likely be watching it subtitled more often than dubbed as time goes on. That is, after I've rewatched the entire series in English as it's released though. Being a dub fan, I can't pass it up the opportunity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy from TRSI last Friday, and I gotta admit I agree to some degree with it being more suited to an English dub. J. Michael Tatum is a little underwhelming as Isaac though, he just lacks the energy
Masaya Onosaka put into his performance. Bryan Massey really nailed Ladd though, really sounds psychotic (the boxing scene is awesome ^^).

I've gotta admit I still liked the Japanese dub more tho'. Isaac and Miria are too important to the show's atmosphere, and the dub just didn't get them across well enough.
ofvgard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="farruinn] Heh, I see you you mean, but I guess Graham was just too "cartoony" for me. Within the world established by the rest of the story, the events that happened on the Flying Pussyfoot were at least consistent with the setting. I'm still curious if the extras were adapted from the novels though.
[/quote]

Well, yes they did adapt it from the novels. I dont know, I didn't realized I liked his character until watching all 3 extras. Funny, talkative, slightly emo and psychotic, not to mention he's spoiler[one of Baccano's strongest characters and if it was a fight where killing is not concerned, it is said he is stronger thad Ladd. Although they didn't include the dialogue in the anime, Vino even complements him that he might be indeed stronger, than Ladd.]
The 3 extra episodes is an adaptation from the bonus with the drama cd originally (about 30 bucks), but this last January, the author decided to release it to the public as an individual novel (6 bucks, if you buy it in japan), adding a few chapters too.

I'm reading the novels, they're great, but I think the flying pussyfoot arc is still the best, since tyou see all the characters. Depending on the book, you might not even see Luck, Dallas,or Ladd...until they all tie in later...hehe
poilk92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
so im sorry if someone else has already asked/ pointed this out but spoiler[ Isaac was shot in the head when looking down through the holes in floor at the ceremony where firo was joining the martillo family which was most definitely before he drank the elixir which of course happens when he joins said ceremony] now there are plenty of ways to explain it away superficialy but if anyone has a definitive explination that was in the anime let me know because i must have missed it. also spoiler[did anyone else think Isaac was the summoned devil the entire time and then get super disapointed when it was some random dude?]
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
so im sorry if someone else has already asked/ pointed this out but spoiler[ Isaac was shot in the head when looking down through the holes in floor at the ceremony where firo was joining the martillo family which was most definitely before he drank the elixir which of course happens when he joins said ceremony] now there are plenty of ways to explain it away superficialy but if anyone has a definitive explination that was in the anime let me know because i must have missed it.

I would have to watch the series again, but I think there was a scene where it spoiler[shows Isaac and Miria drinking the elixir]. I could be wrong of course and, as I said, I would have to watch the series again to confirm it.

poilk92 wrote:
also spoiler[did anyone else think Isaac was the summoned devil the entire time and then get super disapointed when it was some random dude?]

spoiler[I've had a couple of friends mistake the demon for Luck and I had to explain that they were different characters (Some of them, of course, argued with me for a while. That is until I pointed out that Luck and the demon are in the same scene together.), but I never had anyone think he was Isaac.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
so im sorry if someone else has already asked/ pointed this out but spoiler[ Isaac was shot in the head when looking down through the holes in floor at the ceremony where firo was joining the martillo family which was most definitely before he drank the elixir which of course happens when he joins said ceremony] now there are plenty of ways to explain it away superficialy but if anyone has a definitive explination that was in the anime let me know because i must have missed it. also spoiler[did anyone else think Isaac was the summoned devil the entire time and then get super disapointed when it was some random dude?]

I don't think he was; I think he and Miria just panicked when the bullet was fired. They're not the brightest of bulbs, you know. On the other hand, spoiler[When Firo gets attack by the beggar in the alley who slices his fingers off, THAT occurred before the elixir of life incident. Note that Firo does not yet have his hat in that scene. He is, in fact, going to see Maiza to buy one just prior to his little test, during the celebration of his passing said test is when everyone drinks.]
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll be giving this series another shot but got really bored the first time I tried to watch it. Got three episodes in and grew tired of the desperate attempt at being cool with the mad pace story and scene switching.

I like it when a stories told properly and well.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Is there a website that gives a comprehensive analysis of the characters/events/plot points of Baccano? I just finished the show a few days ago and the jumbled storytelling coupled with the large cast of characters that all had different motives and subplots going on made this a rather difficult watch that I really wanted to enjoy, but my confusion of certain events and unresolved issues is preventing that.
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
http://baccano.wikia.com/wiki/Baccano!_Wiki

The wiki is pretty good, I browsed through it back when I finished the series in order to clarify a few things for myself.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I recommend watching it again in a month or so. It's easier to follow the second time through.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Is there a website that gives a comprehensive analysis of the characters/events/plot points of Baccano? I just finished the show a few days ago and the jumbled storytelling coupled with the large cast of characters that all had different motives and subplots going on made this a rather difficult watch that I really wanted to enjoy, but my confusion of certain events and unresolved issues is preventing that.

Not sure if you watched the dub or subs but honestly the dub makes the show a lot easier to follow. Also that wiki is pretty helpful as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I did indeed watch the dub (as I always do if there is the option to do so). I was definitely planning a rewatch, but I'm a little burnt out on it. It will happen in time, though. For now, I'll consult the wiki!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6