• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Alternative Couples Sure to Touch Your Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
This week's poll: gotta go with the SOS brigade. Only because being in it seems to require you to have supernatural powers of some sort. I could use some supernatural powers.

I don't think it works like that. You don't get powers when you join, you have powers then you join.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
What? No Library Exporation Club (from Mahou Sensei Negima) in the after-school club poll?

Considering that Konoka and Setsuna didn't even make the Alternative Couples list, why are you surprised? Here's your mistake: Critically speaking, Negima! has width and no depth and Negima?! doesn't even have that.

Oh. Chupracabra Club! Nope, not there either. From the list, I'd go with the Neighbor's Club which is the ultimate point of all these club in existance: Do things with other people.

The Jersey Club from Flowers of Rinne {the oddjobs club; joiner of all clubs, member of none} would also be interesting but since it's all girls, I'd probably be rejected.

It's funny but the Alternative relationship I found the most touching was Rodoreamon and Maminna's from Simoun. Maminna's first real smile after they confirmed each other's fellings is one of the few things from this series that sticks with me. The overall premise of the show {and the direction of their relationship} could disqualify it but unlike Shinji's relationship, among others on the list, at least it actually happened in the show rather than just the fan fiction.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
In a medium chock full of fantasy and science fiction, I expected to see at least one cross-species (either alien, animal, or "monster" such as vampire, werewolf, zombie, ghost, angel, etc) or robot or cyborg & human couple on this list.

Most of the human/non couples that I am familiar with are from Western works [...] But I'm sure people here can come up with more anime and manga examples!

The one that immediately came to mind for me was Marin and Melan from Brigadoon - she's a human and he's a...a...human/mecha hybrid guy thing? In any event, they're certainly "alternative" in the cross-species sense. Laughing And all weirdness aside, both the show's and their species/age differences, they actually were quite a heartwarming pair.

In the manga realm, I'd say Ponta and Mirai from Guru Guru Pon-chan would count, given that they're also technically different species. (I use "technically" since most of their romance occurs whilespoiler[ she's human rather than in her original dog shape.])

It might be a stretch, but Momoko and Yousuke from Wedding Peach could also count, in both anime and manga forms - after all, spoiler[she's an angel and he's a devil], so it's certainly a case of never the twain [should] meet.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

It's funny but the Alternative relationship I found the most touching was Rodoreamon and Maminna's from Simoun. Maminna's first real smile after they confirmed each other's fellings is one of the few things from this series that sticks with me. The overall premise of the show {and the direction of their relationship} could disqualify it but unlike Shinji's relationship, among others on the list, at least it actually happened in the show rather than just the fan fiction.

The couple from Simoun that most deserves to be on here is Guragief and Anubituf. How many couples can say that they were, at varying points, lesbian, heterosexual and gay?

Edit: Wrong name

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The couple from Simoun that most deserves to be on here is Guragief and Waporif. How many couples can say that they were, at varying points, lesbian, heterosexual and gay?

The names for Simuon are very confusing; Waporif was the male mechanic with the breasts who ends up married to the "girl" who chooses to become female to bear his children. Guragief was one of the officers who became a man under the assumption that his partner, another officer, would become a woman.

I take it you mean the two officers? Their relationship was in the backstory so I didn't take it for touching, I took it for foreshadowing how all the present relationships would end up.

Speaking of Simuon and alternative relationships, spoiler[Was Limone Aer's grandfather or not?] I suspected it by the way he spoke to his granddaughter earlier in the series compared to the ending of their respective plotlines but I haven't seen much conjecture about it.

Or any conjecture. Still, spoiler[It would be pretty interesting if the reason Aer disappears after the time jump was because Limone was reminded about her love for her after she meet the probable being would would have become Aer's grandmother.]

The true definition of Alternative Relationship, huh? So Alternative it not only never even happened but the very fact of its possibility undid past and present. Or it was just an artistic choice things left up to the viewer to explain.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
RE: Simoun
If memory serves me right spoiler[Limone] jumped back much much further to be able to serve that role. Remember where spoiler[Dominura] ended up. spoiler[Amuria] is the leading theory.

Most everything in Simoun counts as alternative considering the downright alien biology. Not counting the few other things tossed at other couples in the show. spoiler[Hi Alti and Caim.]

Agent355 wrote:
What about the love that every boy has for his Giant Robot in every mecha anime? Very Happy

Outside of Ryuusei, I'm having trouble thinking of guys in mecha shows that love their mecha that much. Plus that's generally onesided outside of Super Robot shows... maybe?

Or how about Xenoglossia? A touching romance between a girl and her 30-foot tall mecha spoiler[that's entirely reciprocal.] It was cheese: The good kind of cheese out of the same staff that did Mai-Otome.

And on the note of mecha, Gundam's pretty known for being very bait-happy, but 00 stands out. Lockon and Tieria came pretty close to actual text -- not only that, they have an "adoptive" son of sorts with Setsuna -- and never felt pandering in a cheap way. In fact it drove a rather good chemistry and character arc between the three for much of the latter half of season one. Too bad that all got flushed down the tubes come the second season. Ooops.

Surprised that there hasn't been much mention of platonic relationships that are unusual or messy. Without going into spoiler territory, Penguindrum is pretty much a big fat bundle of complicated relations.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I voted for a robotics club since I'm already in one. Very Happy They're not as uncommon as you'd think. Counting all age groups (4th to 12th grade) there are about 30,000 teams, the vast majority of which are in the US.

Both of my kids are in one and I am a mentor for my son's FRC team (I mentor the animation sub-team. Not that I know jack about animation, but I do know image manipulation, since I am a professional photographer... Our animation will suck rocks... Sad LOL!)

That was my vote too. But the club that I personally would like to join is the Singing and sometimes Badminton club! Not on the list...
kaydub wrote:
Aw man, I want to join the Light Music Club AND the Robotics Club!

How about doing the Tari Tari thing and combining them! Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
RE: Simoun
If memory serves me right spoiler[Limone] jumped back much much further to be able to serve that role. Remember where spoiler[Dominura] ended up. spoiler[Amuria] is the leading theory.

I thought it was only about a hundred years in the past; spoiler[Dominura always stayed a maiden and eventually led the doomed squadron she herself was a younger member in, later becoming the maiden of the spring and eventually turning into dust during the present story line. That is a guess but there are no contradictions, I think. Limone stayed in the squadron for awhile, how long is a question in itself, but later choose her sex/future/death in the past. That's a given.]

Maybe it's just that I think a closed time loop that has bearing on the plot in both past and present has more meaning than just those two merely being responsible for the revival of the tech and nothing else.

But as I said, the thing I remember the most is Maminna's smile. All else is feelings and conjecture. But I'm pretty sure that while the tech was ancient, the revival wasn't.

spoiler[
Still, the fact that they can be kind of immortal for many, many years if they don't choose a sex is either a plot hole or a plot point.]
I choose "point".
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I take it you mean the two officers? Their relationship was in the backstory so I didn't take it for touching, I took it for foreshadowing how all the present relationships would end up.

That's in the eye of the beholder. Guraghief/Anubituf nearly stole the show for me, spoiler[though the scene of the ending with Neveril and Aeru dancing stole it back]. One of my favorite small moments was Anu stopping Gura from getting upset just by placing his hand over his.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Based on some of the posts here, can I assume that Homura x Madoka are canon? If so, my vote definitely goes there, although it seems more of a ship than official couple. Hmm....since Koi Kaze is on here, I have to make mention of Kanon. For spoiler's sake I won't say why, but those who've read the manga will know what I mean!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Whoops. Should double check things when I'm tired. I meant Guragief and Anubituf, the two officers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Midori Days! A boy falls in love with his hand, literally! Very Happy
Great suggestion (actually, a bunch of people brought up human/nonHuman relationships I didn't remember off hand or didn't know about, thanks).

I want to join the Field Hockey Club in "My Heavenly Hockey Club" by Ai Morinaga. Good food, fun trips, no sports expertise needed! Perfect!

When I wrote jokingly of boys and their giant robots, I was actually thinking of Noa Izumi's love for her mech suit Alphonse in Patlabor. She's a mech otaku and engineer who works hard to keep Alphonse in good condition. Not only did she name him (well, it),but she didn't want to drive any other Labor, even if it was a better model. It was really sweet.

There is more of a reciprocal relationship between Batou and the Tachikomas on Ghost in the Shell. The Tachikomas can be heartwarming, depending on how you find them on your annoyance scale (for me it varies by episode).

I always felt that Batou/Kusanagi was more one-sided. Batou certainly cared for and worried about The Major, but I felt she treated him as a close colleague and comrade-in-arms; nothing more. (I would make a case for the father/daughter relationship between Aramaki and Kusanagi).

I just wanted to mention one of my favorite nonhuman romantic pairings, Frol and Tada from Moto Hagio's They Were Eleven spoiler[Frol is from a humanoid alien race in which kids are assigned a sex at puberty, but the treatment of men and women are far from equal. Only the firstborn of a family is allowed to become male, and he is then allowed to marry multiple wives. When Tada discovers that Frol is determined to become a man (despite not being the eldest sibling) to avoid an arranged marriage to an older, polygamous Lord
, he tells her "My planet is monogamous, you can marry me!" Despite this sudden declaration that can be totally taken the wrong way, Tada stays patient and kind as Froll tries to discover what Froll wants to be. It is incredibly heartwarming and far from typical in any sense.]

Platonic couples are rare in most media and deserve their own list. It seems that it's harder to portray a close platonic relationship that an audience won't read as "more" than it is to portray a romantic one. This is pretty obvious if you wade into fan ship discussions. Bffs are wonderful, and I personally feel that shipping a friendship can cheapen it. If we were making such a list, I'd suggest Nana & Hachi (NANA), Kaoru & Sentarou (Kids on the Slope) and the leads from Tsuritama make the top three.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
In a medium chock full of fantasy and science fiction, I expected to see at least one cross-species (either alien, animal, or "monster" such as vampire, werewolf, zombie, ghost, angel, etc) or robot or cyborg & human couple on this list.

Most of the human/non couples that I am familiar with are from Western works [...] But I'm sure people here can come up with more anime and manga examples!

The one that immediately came to mind for me was Marin and Melan from Brigadoon - she's a human and he's a...a...human/mecha hybrid guy thing? In any event, they're certainly "alternative" in the cross-species sense. Laughing And all weirdness aside, both the show's and their species/age differences, they actually were quite a heartwarming pair.

In the manga realm, I'd say Ponta and Mirai from Guru Guru Pon-chan would count, given that they're also technically different species. (I use "technically" since most of their romance occurs whilespoiler[ she's human rather than in her original dog shape.])

It might be a stretch, but Momoko and Yousuke from Wedding Peach could also count, in both anime and manga forms - after all, spoiler[she's an angel and he's a devil], so it's certainly a case of never the twain [should] meet.

My favorite "alternative" married couple would have to be Sugino and Muu-chan from Tactics. Sugino is a (formerly human) Tengu male and Muu-chan is whatever Muu-chan is. I nominate them.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I was expecting monster/human pairing seeing as it's almost Halloween. I was expecting to see pairings like Celty and Shinra, or just really bizarre ones between humans, like a crazy assassin for hire with a god complex and a mute terrorist.

zensunni wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
I voted for a robotics club since I'm already in one. Very Happy They're not as uncommon as you'd think. Counting all age groups (4th to 12th grade) there are about 30,000 teams, the vast majority of which are in the US.

Both of my kids are in one and I am a mentor for my son's FRC team (I mentor the animation sub-team. Not that I know jack about animation, but I do know image manipulation, since I am a professional photographer... Our animation will suck rocks... Sad LOL!)

Cool. Very Happy At least you have an animation sub-team. My team hasn't tried animating anything yet because there's only two of us who have an inkling of how to do it and we barely got the robot working in time as is.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
This week's poll: gotta go with the SOS brigade. Only because being in it seems to require you to have supernatural powers of some sort. I could use some supernatural powers.

I don't think it works like that. You don't get powers when you join, you have powers then you join.

I'm good with it either way. Supernatural powers, baby! (Maybe I have them and just don't know it yet. If Haruhi is willing to hang out with me, I must. Cause and effect don't seem to mean a lot around her, anyway.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8