• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
^
Zeta is not a good example because it was released in the States (and in Australasia too). Yes, SEED got on television and Zeta did not, so SEED still got more exposure. But that's not what you were talking about; you were referring to what was released in the States.

I would have used X or Turn A instead of Zeta in that example of yours.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
You are right I was completely misinformed by mentioning Zeta, thanks for smacking me in the face with your humorless bullshit.

Last edited by Animehermit on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh pish-posh. So Zeta got a bad dub, music was changed and you found problems with the subtitles. So what? It was still available in brick & mortar stores, meaning it got decent exposure. Especially relative to all the Gundam titles that didn't get released in the West, or which there are more than a few.

Also, your point doesn't stand, because like I said, you were referring to SEED getting more exposure than Zeta because SEED was released in the States. Yet as I've already pointed out, Zeta was released in America too, so your example doesn't make sense and is therefore weak. X would have been a far better example as it is consistent with what you were trying to say.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: I have a supreme dislike for 99% of the people who post here.

Last edited by Animehermit on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Bad localisation wasn't even your point in the first place. You initially implied that Zeta didn't even get a R1 release, which was supposedly why SEED had more exposure. Now you admit Zeta did get a release but are trying to focus on the localisation, as if that had anything to do with what you initially said.

You're just shifting the goalposts in a belated attempt to justify using a flawed example. I'm not going to answer a question that you only asked in order to try and cover your arse.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
SEED is more popular than Zeta because it ran on TV in some capacity and because it wasn't 17 years old at that point.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
My point remains the same. It also wasn't localized correctly If I recall, it got a bad dub and the subtitles weren't accurate.

Only the initial release of Zeta featured dubtitles. The later singles & two box sets had proper subtitles.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SEED is more popular than Zeta because it ran on TV in some capacity and because it wasn't 17 years old at that point.

Correct.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Seeing that SEED and 00 got first and third, it's obvious that most of the people who voted are not old enough to remember the golden era of anime when Toonami was in its prime and Gundam Wing and Dragon Ball Z reigned.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Are you seriously going to sit there and say that a bad localization doesn't effect how popular a show is?
Maybe? But Zeta's age, animation, and genre would keep people away long before they realized how bad the dub was. The people left probably would'nt care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:

Again like I previously said, all three titles that are in the top three have received the most commercial success here in America. Is it all that surprising then that these series represented the majority favorite?

Contrary to popular belief, SEED wasn't that successful in the USA. That's why it got all those time slot changes and why CN never aired Destiny.

At least, that's from what I understand about it.

Yeah, Gundam was very much a mixed bag for Cartoon Network and may ultimately have been more miss than hit. Wing was an undeniable success and what spurred CN to pursue other Gundam shows, but none had anywhere near the success as Wing (although I do recall reading somewhere that G and SD Gundam did pretty good on the channel).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't blame the dub of Zeta Gundam. It's really poorly acted by a bunch of no-talents (Blue Water), but it's at least fairly accurate in terms of script. And after all, Zeta Gundam still ranks pretty highly on that survey, so I'm not angry or anything. My point was that it was kind of sad the things that were beating it were shows I wouldn't even watch again. Zeta is very polarizing because of the awkward character interactions and it's decades old, so it doesn't surprise me it's not winning, but a non-story like SEED beating it just unnerves me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I would say the reason why Zeta is doing better than you would think given it's lack of exposure is because there are some actual Gundam fans who voted in this poll.

EDIT: Yes that means the people who voted for the other shows aren't actual gundam fans. [expletive] deal with it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Maybe? But Zeta's age, animation, and genre would keep people away long before they realized how bad the dub was. The people left probably would'nt care.

What? Are you trying to say Zeta's animation is bad/poor/crappy? If so, I disagree 100% with you. Gundam Zeta is one of the best animated series in my opinion. Despite being created almost three decades ago, its animation is comparable to the best modern standards.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Well the survey is closed. Here are the results:

Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
After War Gundam X
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
SD Gundam Force
SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors

There was only 663 total votes. I would call that a small sample size.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9