• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Joy of Sakuga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
reanimator wrote:
No matter how great the technical prowess of Disney and others had, the whole nostalgia is just full of hot air to cover up incompetence and lackluster output.

No matter how much passion japanese animators have they still leagues below of what Disney did almost 80 years ago. And I have more respect for a company which willing to throw hundreds of millions into projects like Inside Out without any guarantee of success than any risk-safe output from Japanese companies. As for 2D animation, face it, it lost momentum, it isn't popular anymore with mainstream crowd Iron Giant, Titan A.E., Princess and the Frog already proved it.

Okay, I don't disagree that what Japanese animators are making is no where close to golden age Disney animations in term of technical skills. Does it mean their effort is futile and meaningless whether successful or not? They're making their unique expression despite meager resource. Also I find your comparison is skewed because most Anime production system is thoroughly TV production, not some Hollywood feature animation production.

You said you respect Disney throwing hundred million dollars into risky 3D animation. If the risky big budget is major factor for you to enjoy animation, then I think you shouldn't bother watch anime at all as it offends for your respect for being low budget and low risk.

Speaking of risk, Pixar built its reputation as excellent animation producer that generates billions in profit. No company bets on risky project unless the producers have excellent track record of profitable films. If an animation production studio has bad track record, then do you think investors will throw in hundreds of million for new project? Of course not. People risk more if the outcome appears favorable.

I do agree that Japanese can't risk too much, but they're not Hollywood. Basically Japanese system is a group of local publishers and entertainment business that gather money from interested parties. None of them has financial and marketing power like Hollywood does and Hollywood has worldwide distribution system that brings billions of dollars while these group of Japanese companies doesn't have anything close. Even if Hollywood didn't make much on their big budget film, but they make more money from overseas.

Does it really matter if mainstream doesn't care about 2D animation? Granted that movies like Iron Giant and Titan A.E. didn't appeal to mainstream, but previous lackluster and out-of-touch 2D animation films already drained out audience. Sure their animation quality was top notch, but were they prepared for audience who have already outgrown from child-friendly, fairy tale nature of western 2D animation? They were trying to make older audience film, but their storytelling skill is still nowhere near mature and they expected too much from mainstream audience who still think animation is for children.

I'm not saying that anime is success either, but I have to admire their tenacity to come up with new IP every so often. I do admire people who are gave up a lot for passion even though they are not successful. If measure of success is about how much money it makes, then it's better to give up effort and passion and do something else different instead.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Okay, I don't disagree that what Japanese animators are making is no where close to golden age Disney animations in term of technical skills. Does it mean their effort is futile and meaningless whether successful or not?

Where did you get this idea from? I never said that their effort was meaningless, just that respecting craft of japanese animators and simultaneously picture Disney and other american animators as if they are dumb old farts drunk with nostalgia is slightly dishonest.
Quote:
You said you respect Disney throwing hundred million dollars into risky 3D animation. If the risky big budget is major factor for you to enjoy animation, then I think you shouldn't bother watch anime at all as it offends for your respect for being low budget and low risk.

Again, it has nothing to do with amount of budget, the mere will to spend money on something that not instantly screams "I'm gonna make gazillion dollars" is already commendable.

Quote:
If an animation production studio has bad track record, then do you think investors will throw in hundreds of million for new project? Of course not. People risk more if the outcome appears favorable.

Their track record in the recent years hasn't been good. If anything it should've put doubt into the minds of Disney.

Quote:
I do agree that Japanese can't risk too much, but they're not Hollywood.

Yes. And? I somehow should enjoy Idol anime number 7099 more because they can't risk to invest in projects I will like?

Quote:
Does it really matter if mainstream doesn't care about 2D animation?

So, it's okay for japanese studios to play safe, but otherwise it's a terrible crime for executives to make financially right decisions? Should I remind that we're talking about commercial animation here and profitability is essential part of it.

Quote:
Sure their animation quality was top notch, but were they prepared for audience who have already outgrown from child-friendly, fairy tale nature of western 2D animation?

Say, do you think audience outgrown Ghibli films too? I mean, vast majority of them are child friendly as well. And what about all these shounen flicks aimed at teens and young adults?
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
@Desa
Strangely enough however, while I'd say that on the whole the action was really what made that show, for some reason the particular moment that stuck with me the most was Shinpei Sawa's dance animation in episode 6.

The biggest problem here is, the dance itself was mediocre. This is the core of what I was saying about how the "content" of the animation matters more to me than the quality of the animation itself. Even the Hare Hare Yukai dance showed more creativity than this, and that was in 2006. Such lackluster moves might appeal to tweens but it doesn't cut it for me.
And as if to mask the fact that the dance wasn't up to par, they kept cutting in and out of the central piece, which is something I hate more than anything in action series; When you're finally getting to the good part, the last thing you want is an interruption. That's the biggest action movie taboo.

Galap wrote:
And from there I must say I disagree that there's no value in seeing animation that is realistic. The above dance scene is so incredible because of how accurately it depicts human motions, and the motions of the fabric in their dresses and scarves, and even the motion of a metal chain necklace hanging out of a pocket. To me, the magic is that unlike a live action video, where the depiction of things like hair and fabric and muscle and tendon is trivial, in animation it is not because what you are seeing is not hair and fabric and muscle and tendon. It's not even a real object. It's just a series of drawings, but the artist created them such that when viewed in succession, it actually looks like those things, actually moves like those things move. The map they created actually looks like the territory in the reality it's depicting. And it came directly from their heads. It's like looking directly into someone else's brain. This is incredible.

My wording was unclear. I did not mean there was no value in realistic animation. I'm saying there's no value in realistic animation as the end goal. "How" you animate something is one thing, but "what" you animate is another. I'm saying why not apply all that realism into animating something you don't see people doing everyday? A dance piece would be a good place for that, but the choreographer didn't feel like pushing any boundaries (ironic for a series called "Beyond the Boundary"). The characters are all young and relatively fit, yet there wasn't a single strenuous motion in the entire dance. A grandma could've pulled off those moves. Again, all those little details you mentioned? I don't have a problem with them, nor did I fail to notice them. What I take issue with is spending time on fine details at the expense of the big picture, in this case, the core dance. The same issue plagues the other action scenes; Too much attention to background and fine details, not enough actual combat.
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
@Desa
Western commercial animation never got the knack of moving the 'camera' through 3 dimensional space, or giving 3 dimensionality to the characters and environments in the same way that anime did. And they were doing it from the beginning. this is from 1947, and a cut like this simply does not exist in western commercial drawn animation. Many western animators would say things like doing something like that is impossible.

Not a disagreement, but of course Disney spent fortunes on elaborate multiplane shots in films like Pinocchio and Bambi, precisely to convey 3D space (and I think it succeeded). I realise you may see these shots as aesthetically different from '3D' space in anime - and the clip you linked to is beautiful - but I think they may be closer relatives than 2D anime and 3D CGI.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Where did you get this idea from? I never said that their effort was meaningless, just that respecting craft of japanese animators and simultaneously picture Disney and other american animators as if they are dumb old farts drunk with nostalgia is slightly dishonest.

It's your dismissive tone about passion gave me the idea that whole effort is meaningless.

Quote:
No matter how much passion japanese animators have they still leagues below of what Disney did almost 80 years ago.

I should be clear about my statement. When I meant nostalgia, I meant nostalgic fans who think Disney/western method of making animation is the best in the world and they always look down on other animations as inferior just because it doesn't fit the mold. Sakuga fans have pretty much have equal respect to both animators from Japan and the West. It's just that they're more focused on Japanese side because anime is prevalent.

Quote:
Again, it has nothing to do with amount of budget, the mere will to spend money on something that not instantly screams "I'm gonna make gazillion dollars" is already commendable.

I understand that investors are not looking for quick return on their risky investment, but what is there to be commendable of? Hollywood has been throwing in more money into both risky and predictable animation production than entire anime industry production combined.

Quote:
Their track record in the recent years hasn't been good. If anything it should've put doubt into the minds of Disney.

I can't argue with that.

Quote:
So, it's okay for japanese studios to play safe, but otherwise it's a terrible crime for executives to make financially right decisions? Should I remind that we're talking about commercial animation here and profitability is essential part of it.

Do you think I don't know?
Japanese system is not Hollywood. Their circumstance is far different and they don't have luxury to throw in a hundred million dollars for a production. By playing safe , at least it keeps numerous animation production going with dedicated fan base. They're making appropriate decision for time being. Maybe something happens in Japanese economy and it may change investors' mind. Who knows?

As for Hollywood, it's just sad that Western 2D feature animation couldn't make adjustment fast enough avoid chopping block.

Quote:
Say, do you think audience outgrown Ghibli films too? I mean, vast majority of them are child friendly as well. And what about all these shounen flicks aimed at teens and young adults?

I don't know if people have outgrown Ghibli films yet and It's matter of generational thing. One thing is for sure: I think mainstream moved on from musicals and 1950's sensibilities common in Disney and other western 2D feature animations and they embraced new and shiny 3D that offers modern sensibility. As for 2D, I strongly believe anime fandom is keeping 2D relevant when big features gave up.

More like Ghibli films are heavily promoted by Pixar chiefs and Shonen genre has taken root among kids' consciousness through TV and I don't think they'll go away as Shonen genre like Dragon Ball is still relevant to kids. Those two phenomenon have been going since early 2000's. As for mainstream in general, 3D animation pretty much took over.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I can't be sure if it was Miyazaki who said it, but I'm in the group that places CG into the realm of puppetry. There's nothing to say good CG can't be amazing, but often times the draw of 2D drawing animation runs against the grain of the benefits of CG. The way 2D and 3D art assets are made is so different there are fairly sizable differences in what each one can achieve. My only hope for CG in anime is to help reduce cost and workload so that can spend more on the Sakuga elements.

An animator's personal style never leaks through in CG, and that would be an asset of anime I would mourn the loss of.

I can relate to what you're saying because of the time I took a drawing course. I struggled at first because I thought drawing meant capturing all details with 100% accuracy. Then I looked at my classmates' work and theirs looked much better than mine. So I decided to "cheat" like them and draw just to give the impression of faithfulness to the object being drawn. Right after, my art teacher said I improved a lot.

So I didn't draw what was there, I drew what I thought was there. I added my own style, basically.

I think the same principle applies mostly to 2D animation. Even when an animation goes for the theme of realism, the case can be that it isn't all that realistic. I think what provides a pleasant experience is for an animation to give the impression of it being realistic without necessarily being realistic, because most people wouldn't even notice and care (even if they'd say otherwise).

I think this is related to how people say (and how you're probably suggesting) that animators can have their "signature" in their animation, and how it gives life to their characters. Many times this goes against what's actually realistic. That's why people can say in comparison that a certain 3D CG isn't realistic because it's too realistic.

The only problem with 2D animation though is that there aren't any fast paced, ultra smooth, action sequences.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
It's your dismissive tone about passion gave me the idea that whole effort is meaningless.

I guess we both misunderstood each other.

Quote:
Sakuga fans have pretty much have equal respect to both animators from Japan and the West. It's just that they're more focused on Japanese side because anime is prevalent.

That's pretty much what I've said to other user on previous page.

Quote:
I understand that investors are not looking for quick return on their risky investment, but what is there to be commendable of? Hollywood has been throwing in more money into both risky and predictable animation production than entire anime industry production combined.

And that's exactly why I don't understand good portion of anime fans who entirely dismissive of western animation and constantly blame it for not being creative. I mean, look, you have your preferences and that's fine, but don't be blind because of them. Hollywood spends a lot of money on projects which wouldn't have a chance to be made if not for them, if this is not keeping creativity afloat then I don't know what is.

Quote:
Japanese system is not Hollywood. Their circumstance is far different and they don't have luxury to throw in a hundred million dollars for a production. By playing safe , at least it keeps numerous animation production going with dedicated fan base. They're making appropriate decision for time being. Maybe something happens in Japanese economy and it may change investors' mind. Who knows?

Maybe it's just need more appropriate management? Sure, it's naive to think that otaku bait will suddenly disappear and quite honestly current situation hasn't been born in vacuum, market simply responses to demand, but here's the thing, market is overcrowded, despite that, paradoxically, there's little to no competition between studios. Maybe, if market were a little bit more competitive average quality would grow.

Quote:
As for 2D, I strongly believe anime fandom is keeping 2D relevant when big features gave up.

I more incline to believe that 2D is alive due to efforts of creators of such stunning features as The Triplet of Bellville or Song of the Sea. At least, alive as an art form.
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
reanimator wrote:
No matter how great the technical prowess of Disney and others had, the whole nostalgia is just full of hot air to cover up incompetence and lackluster output.

No matter how much passion japanese animators have they still leagues below of what Disney did almost 80 years ago
. And I have more respect for a company which willing to throw hundreds of millions into projects like Inside Out without any guarantee of success than any risk-safe output from Japanese companies. As for 2D animation, face it, it lost momentum, it isn't popular anymore with mainstream crowd Iron Giant, Titan A.E., Princess and the Frog already proved it.

A near meaningless statement given that Disney themselves as a studio are not nearly as good right now as they were during the golden age of animation.
neshru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Sakuga fandom is pointless. Anime has the worst animation of any form of animation. US animation has much more drawings

You may think that more drawings = better animation, but that's not really the case. Full animation and limited animation are simply different styles of animation, and both can be done poorly or done well.
If you want proof that full animation can still look bad, I could personally create for you a piece of animation that uses a ridiculous amount of drawings. I can guarantee you that the result would still be terrible, since I suck at animating.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
US animation has more detailed facial expressions and proper lip syncing. The facial expressions in anime are beyond forced and stiff and the mouth flaps are beyond a joke.

Animation is not all about facial expressions, you know. Nor is it all about the quality of the drawings.
You can have stylized/extremely off-model animation that still looks amazing, because the movement (you know, the animation) is what makes it amazing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah Sakuga. It focuses on the most obvious but least important part of anime. I am reminded of the otaku in Genshiken, who would watch that clearly awful show-within-a-show but spend all their time passionately analysing and discussing the animation and storyboarding rather than plot or characters (or even music).

Oh, and I find the attitude of the author towards those fans who didn't like the animation in that Naruto episode to be quite condescending. The entire episode was off-model and ugly as heck. That the animation was a deliberate change and a lot of effort was put into it doesn't mean it was good. That fans did not like how two of their favourite characters - in one of the most important fights in the franchise - suddenly looked like deformed blobs whose faces were melting off, does not make it okay to insult them.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
andyos wrote:

Not a disagreement, but of course Disney spent fortunes on elaborate multiplane shots in films like Pinocchio and Bambi, precisely to convey 3D space (and I think it succeeded). I realise you may see these shots as aesthetically different from '3D' space in anime - and the clip you linked to is beautiful - but I think they may be closer relatives than 2D anime and 3D CGI.

A multiplane shot consisting of static backgrounds that are zoomed in is different from from the example in that each frame of the background is a different drawing in it. There are actually some old American shorts, with that kind of "3d" backgrounds like Plane Crazy but I think it's more common in anime.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@Desa What is that clip from?

That's from Girls Bravo.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ah Sakuga. It focuses on the most obvious but least important part of anime. I am reminded of the otaku in Genshiken, who would watch that clearly awful show-within-a-show but spend all their time passionately analysing and discussing the animation and storyboarding rather than plot or characters (or even music).

Oh, and I find the attitude of the author towards those fans who didn't like the animation in that Naruto episode to be quite condescending.
You followed what's arguably a condescending statement of your own with a complaint about the article being condescending? I'm suddenly reminded of the founders of Peeple complaining about Facebook comments.

That aside, there might be a valid complaint about sakuga fans in that they just want to focus solely on the animation by itself, but I haven't found that's the case. The fans I see typically enjoy anime for the plot, music, and characters, but they just also happen to really enjoy this other aspect of the production. They enjoy delving deeper into the production history in order to learn more about the people behind it and are also just fans of the animation/art itself that's an integral part of making a show entertaining. In my experience, sakuga fans are not unquestionably passionate about shows that have a terrible plot but have great animation. In those cases, they'll typically qualify their general opinions about the show with something along the lines of "so-and-so did great work on this show, but it's too bad the rest of it sucks." (e.g., Spriggan)

However, I'm not sure if there's a problem in and of itself with watching a well-animated show just for the sake of animation. Aren't there a lot of times where a live action director will work with great cinematographer to create captivating imagery and ambiance, but is hampered with a weak or middling script? It's a rough analogy, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a visual medium just for the visuals. People just have different expectations on what they want from a show, and it doesn't even have to be consistent from show to show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
@andyos

Small misquote. The 2nd half of Galap's response was directed to MajorZero, not me.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:

The biggest problem here is, the dance itself was mediocre. This is the core of what I was saying about how the "content" of the animation matters more to me than the quality of the animation itself. Even the Hare Hare Yukai dance showed more creativity than this, and that was in 2006. Such lackluster moves might appeal to tweens but it doesn't cut it for me.
And as if to mask the fact that the dance wasn't up to par, they kept cutting in and out of the central piece, which is something I hate more than anything in action series; When you're finally getting to the good part, the last thing you want is an interruption. That's the biggest action movie taboo.

I definitely also did not like at all the fact that it kept cutting out to those still cuts. The existence (which I literally just discovered) of an extended version as a BD extra suggests that they simply didn't have time to finish it for the TV broadcast and resorted to the stills. Fortunately the sequence is all the more mesmerizing to me in its full glory.

To me the content of the animation and quality of it are about equal in my books. Of course the absolute best moments occur when both are exceptional, but I can be transfixed by either independently of the other. In the case of this dance, I didn't find it uninteresting. Plus in the context of the story, the dancers were amateurs and this was something they put together over the course of a few days. One of the things I like the most is how the dancers' movements are not perfectly synchronized and often the moves they are doing are subtly different. It gives the sense of a real live performance.

Desa wrote:

My wording was unclear. I did not mean there was no value in realistic animation. I'm saying there's no value in realistic animation as the end goal. "How" you animate something is one thing, but "what" you animate is another. I'm saying why not apply all that realism into animating something you don't see people doing everyday? A dance piece would be a good place for that, but the choreographer didn't feel like pushing any boundaries (ironic for a series called "Beyond the Boundary"). The characters are all young and relatively fit, yet there wasn't a single strenuous motion in the entire dance. A grandma could've pulled off those moves. Again, all those little details you mentioned? I don't have a problem with them, nor did I fail to notice them. What I take issue with is spending time on fine details at the expense of the big picture, in this case, the core dance. The same issue plagues the other action scenes; Too much attention to background and fine details, not enough actual combat.

I suppose that how you animate and what you animate are different things, and I tend to get really into the exact and excruciating details of the specifics of the motion. To me, therein lies a lot of what the artist is trying to say, the 'meaning' of what's going on. Personal preferences I guess.

andyos wrote:

I do see those things as different but I agree. And I'm quite fond of that kind of thing as well. Also as a general statement one things that western animation tends to be better at than anime is compositing and multiple layers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8