• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, FUNimation, Geneon form joint venture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
Instead of jumping to conclusions and making guesses, I'm just taking the press release for what it is. It basically says three American anime companies are joining together to do something anime related.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey lets forget Tenchi or Kiddy Grade and Full Metal Alchemist why don't we?

There's a good reason Blue Gender didn't do as well as the Dragonball franchise, and thats because Blue Gender doesn't have the same, massive family/boy oriented appeal/market that Dragonball has/had. Besides, Yuyu Hakusho hasn't been doing super-amazingly well (not to say it's doing badly, it's just.. there, kinda), and Case Closed is a mixed basket.

Why does everyone keep mentioning Kiddy Grade and Tenchi? I'm talking about animes that are actually geared toward people 17 and older. I never said I wanted Blue Gender to do as good as DBZ. I just thought it was underratted. It's one of the best dubs I've ever seen and it should have gotten more recognition.

And have you seen Texhnolyze? It's not exactly in the same league as Kiddy Grade and Tenchi.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:06 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:
I wouldv'e liked for Media Blasters if not Bandai to have been included within this joint venture.

Media Blasters would have brought nothing to the group and as I said before, Bandai doesn't need a joint venture.

Emerje

Call it bias or whatever, but i would lean more in favor of MB as oppossed to Funi. titles like The Puppet Princess,Gun frontier,Gunparade March,Mezzo Forte,Sadamitsu the Destroyer. (and not to mention their Toyko Shock line of Live action flicks like
Go joe .) May appeal more to the masses than say something like Case closed or rehashed concepts like Blue Gender. MB is just as ambitious when it comes to promoting Anime. Too bad i can't say the same for Manga Entertainment these days (with the one exception of GITS SAC which is a joint venture with Bandai) And IIRC Media Blasters is working on the Giant Robo DVD release, where Manga had dropped the ball on this one. Twisted Evil
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Quote:
Hey lets forget Tenchi or Kiddy Grade and Full Metal Alchemist why don't we?

There's a good reason Blue Gender didn't do as well as the Dragonball franchise, and thats because Blue Gender doesn't have the same, massive family/boy oriented appeal/market that Dragonball has/had. Besides, Yuyu Hakusho hasn't been doing super-amazingly well (not to say it's doing badly, it's just.. there, kinda), and Case Closed is a mixed basket.

Why does everyone keep mentioning Kiddy Grade and Tenchi? I'm talking about animes that are actually geared toward people 17 and older. I never said I wanted Blue Gender to do as good as DBZ. I just thought it was underratted. It's one of the best dubs I've ever seen and it should have gotten more recognition.

And have you seen Texhnolyze? It's not exactly in the same league as Kiddy Grade and Tenchi.

Same market.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Ever see 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"? That production brought in money from Fox, Paramount and Miramax; sometimes three corporations will all toss funds into the pot to produce something.

So maybe they are after Naruto....
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Kazuki-san: While I agree that that is a strong statement it doesn't mention anime, just entertainment, so it really doesn't go against what Toboe said. In fact, if read alone it would probably do more to support what he said.

You misunderstand, I wasn't trying to go against what Toboe said at all, but rather to support it. Indeed it does only mention entertainment, but I think it's safe to assume, given the nature of the companies involved, that it will be anime, even if the only line was the one I posted.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:47 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Call it bias or whatever, but i would lean more in favor of MB as oppossed to Funi. titles like The Puppet Princess,Gun frontier,Gunparade March,Mezzo Forte,Sadamitsu the Destroyer. (and not to mention their Toyko Shock line of Live action flicks like
Go joe .) May appeal more to the masses than say something like Case closed or rehashed concepts like Blue Gender. MB is just as ambitious when it comes to promoting Anime. Too bad i can't say the same for Manga Entertainment these days (with the one exception of GITS SAC which is a joint venture with Bandai) And IIRC Media Blasters is working on the Giant Robo DVD release, where Manga had dropped the ball on this one. Twisted Evil

This venture would appear to be less about what they release and more about HOW they release their anime. Media Blasters, while they have an extensive library, are extremely lack luster. They don't appear to strive to progress beyond licensing and distributing, they have very little merchandise, and rarely attempt to get their shows on TV. They're good at what they do, but they don't do anything that Geneon, ADV, and FUNi weren't already doing 10 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
isis_leech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:56 am Reply with quote
Does this mean the Tenchi OVA3's will get the original voice actors from Geneon??? or some BS from Funi??? (sincei ve heard Funi has liscenced or will) That would be nice... because when it finally hits the US and i dont hear my girls on my on tenchi ima be pissed and go postal on some Funigation heads!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:38 am Reply with quote
isis_leech wrote:
Does this mean the Tenchi OVA3's will get the original voice actors from Geneon??? or some BS from Funi??? (sincei ve heard Funi has liscenced or will) That would be nice... because when it finally hits the US and i don't hear my girls on my on tenchi ima be pissed and go postal on some Funigation heads!

Um.... right. This has nothing to do with voice actors, and the people who did the original OAVs were part of an independant studio and were NOT permenant employees of Pioneer. If they show up, it wicould you OK

Also, l'd suggest dropping this whole HIPHOP INTANET GANGSTA schtick.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 am Reply with quote
What amuses me about this entire thing is how none of you have any idea what all this even means. That press release says absolutely nothing. It has to be one of the most vague PR sheets I've ever read, and believe me, that's saying something.

Yet you all pig pile on the forums, eager to give your individual take on this; some of you make more sense than the others but what annoys me so much is how you all seem to speak as though you have some kind of authority, like any of you have any idea what the hell this thing means. There isn't even the hint in your posts that this is all your wildly speculative opinion.

Nobody's "right" on this one because none of us have any idea what the heck this even means. So before one of you decides that your crazy pulled-out-of-your-rear-end theory is "more right" than someone else's crazy pulled-out-of-your-rear-end theory, think again. You're all just firing blanks in the dark.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What amuses me about this entire thing is how none of you have any idea what all this even means. That press release says absolutely nothing. It has to be one of the most vague PR sheets I've ever read, and believe me, that's saying something.

Yet you all pig pile on the forums, eager to give your individual take on this; some of you make more sense than the others but what annoys me so much is how you all seem to speak as though you have some kind of authority, like any of you have any idea what the hell this thing means. There isn't even the hint in your posts that this is all your wildly speculative opinion.

Nobody's "right" on this one because none of us have any idea what the heck this even means. So before one of you decides that your crazy pulled-out-of-your-rear-end theory is "more right" than someone else's crazy pulled-out-of-your-rear-end theory, think again. You're all just firing blanks in the dark.

I fired nothing, therefore feel excluded from your statement.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Did someone mention firing blanks in the dark? ok lemme exchange my blanks for hollow points. Twisted Evil Razz everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion no matter how "speculative" it may be.(especially since all the facts regarding this joint venture has yet to be fully disclosed.) one can either take it with a grain of salt or dismiss it altogether, plain and simple

Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Did someone mention firing blanks in the dark? ok lemme exchange my blanks for hollow points. Twisted Evil Razz everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion no matter how "speculative" it may be.(especially since all the facts regarding this joint venture has yet to be fully disclosed.) one can either take it with a grain of salt or dismiss it altogether, plain and simple.

Okay, so by your own logic, I too am entitled to my opinion. Which is stated above. No need to go posting image macros on me, man!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote
If that kitten shot me, I don't think I could stay angry at it.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I could. Azumanga Daioh has taught us all that cats are the devil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5