• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Soul Eater Anime from Media Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Sarkozy wrote:
This is a definite buy for me as well.

I noticed the new year's ball has reset on the New Show A-Go-Go page, while it would be very odd and quite daring... 8 more new licenses plus Evangelion at the end - thus, 9 more. If that's the case, its gonna be a long day for those FUNi folks. Razz

Actually I was thinking the same thing with the space they have on the New Show A-Go-Go site an all. I sure hope they do something but one every hour or so might have been a bit more dramatic. Still, judging from what one of the reps wrote on another license announcement page, something about "how do you know there isn't another license announcement countdown right after this one" it seems rather possible that there are more to be announced soon.

I started to think that Funimation would be licensing more anime yesterday. As you did, I got the same feeling from Funi reps post. From the layout on the site, I am pretty sure Funimation will be announcing more anime. I think that they may announce all of the other licenses at midnight tonight. That would make a great New Year's Eve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a pretty fun series. I haven't checked it out so far because I've been busy with other programs, but it might be worth looking into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Chicken008 wrote:
That's great! Out of all these announcements I'm surprised that the Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations wasn't announced..

Yes! I would be more excited by that.

They could be waiting for a spring con. I'm not familiar with con timings, but a spring announcement would be consistent with, perhaps, a theoretical early spring release of a Season 2 boxset and Tokyo Revelations release in summer or fall. Assuming the cast is available, dubbing probably won't take long once the license is in place as I see in the encyclopedia it's only three episodes long (but what a set of episodes I'm assuming they are!). I can't imagine it won't be licensed fairly soon, as manga fans are aware of Tokyo's significance and will have probably read, as I did, the buzz that the anime version came out really well. Just speculation, but I'd be pretty shocked if we don't hear license news before the coming year is over.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
9hoenix_ wrote:
Have you ever read the manga?Its not exactly what I would call Kid friendly.

It's on EXACTLY the same level as Naruto so I could easily see it as a 9/10pm Cartoon Network showing.

Emerje

There is considerably more fanservice and blood in Soul Eater. The anime did tone things down though.

Edit: Maka's last name is Albarn, not Alban. (as in the guy behind Gorillaz)
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
9hoenix_ wrote:
Have you ever read the manga?Its not exactly what I would call Kid friendly.

It's on EXACTLY the same level as Naruto so I could easily see it as a 9/10pm Cartoon Network showing.

Emerje

Naruto is a special case. It was treated better in terms of editing than anything CN has ever aired on the main network (i.e. not Adult Swim), and they did so because it was Naruto, hyped heir apparent to the DBZ throne (in the US, at least). Soul Eater is not Naruto, it never will be. They're not going to bend over backwards to give it the same kind of treatment.

And even then, they can only barely even manage to get Naruto on the air to fulfill that contract now. Considering all the other shows that got dropped altogether in the past year, even that is currently happening solely because Naruto is the exception to the rule.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
This is at least an interesting choice, now we can just hope they save Rebuild for the ball drop tonight.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, we knew it was going to happen eventually... I'm just relieved it has happened. Definitely been one of my favorite series, even with the sub-quality drop after the C&D. Also, as fun as an artbox would be, that would be mighty expensive. I'll be happy with the 4 "half-season" sets that FUNI has been fond of doing recently.

Happy New Year! YAY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Well, we knew it was going to happen eventually... I'm just relieved it has happened. Definitely been one of my favorite series, even with the sub-quality drop after the C&D. Also, as fun as an artbox would be, that would be mighty expensive. I'll be happy with the 4 "half-season" sets that FUNI has been fond of doing recently.

Happy New Year! YAY.

No offense, but fansubs are a legally gray area in the first place, and C&D orders are absolutely within the rights of the US distributors, be thankful you'll be getting it in a legal format and helping an ailing industry.
Apterous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
From what people were saying about the trailer, I was expecting a lot worse. Yes, it's misleading from the perspective of one who has seen the series, but it's certainly better than the usual crap that is the credit sequence + opening song. I actually enjoyed the trailer. Not great, but not terrible either. How that guy kept saying "shinigami-sama" was hilarious.

I agree. If they can remember that "shinigami-sama" means "Grim Reaper" in the dub, I'll be pretty happy with it.

</flamebait> Wink
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
TheTheory wrote:

Happy New Year! YAY.

No offense, but fansubs are a legally gray area in the first place, and C&D orders are absolutely within the rights of the US distributors, be thankful you'll be getting it in a legal format and helping an ailing industry.

I feel like you're reading an upset attitude where i had none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Well it certainly wasn't the best work of art in the entire world, but I'm with JG, that trailer wasn't quite as bad as some of you were making it out to be. Though admittedly it was kind of funny to hear the announcer say that Death the Kid is obsessed with symmetry with such a serious, straight sounding voice. Laughing

Well since I stopped watching it around episode 12 due to an overload of series I was watching at the time figuring there would be an inevitable license for it so I shouldn't worry about watching it now, this is obviously something I'm very excited about! Anime exclamation I knew the C & D was a precursor to it being licensed! Smile Looking forward to getting back into this series again. As I've said before around the same time it first premired, this has potential to be quite possibly one of my all time favorite shounen series, as well as my consideration of it as one of the best. Especially considering how good I hear it gets after the point in which I stopped, which quite frankly I'm saddened that I did at such an inconvenient time.... Anime cry

As for it getting on TV, I think it's pretty much inevitable that it will at least somewhere anyways. Most likely somewhere mainstream but where? CN is always the obvious answer to that but it's struggling so much with showing anime right now I'm not so sure.....
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
From what people were saying about the trailer, I was expecting a lot worse. Yes, it's misleading from the perspective of one who has seen the series, but it's certainly better than the usual crap that is the credit sequence + opening song. I actually enjoyed the trailer. Not great, but not terrible either. How that guy kept saying "shinigami-sama" was hilarious.

I agree. If they can remember that "shinigami-sama" means "Grim Reaper" in the dub, I'll be pretty happy with it.

</flamebait> Wink

It's a bit weird to keep the "Shinigami-sama", because in the series his name (signature) is shown as "DEATH" - shinigama is purely the translation for the Japanese dub. Most texts in the series are in english or french, don't remember but at least not Japanese ^^; So the characters are supposed to talk in English or so (like D Gray Man). And the only Japanese person in the whole cast is Tsubaki I think xD
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Bad news from my point of view.
But it's no big surprise, after these C&D letters it was sure, that Soul Eater is going to be licensed very soon.

I wanted to watch the trailer, but:
"We're sorry, but due to your geographic location, we cannot allow you to gain access to this content."

...I HATE this!

Soul Eater is very good, but I wouldn't collect such a long running series on LQ-DVD (compared to fansubs) or unnecessary expensive BD. But hey, I don't live in the US anyway...
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I cared most about this series is that I'm gonna see alot of cosplayers wearing the Thompson Twins,Black Star and Tsubaki characters.............Oh it brought to tears on that those times! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5