• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurokami the anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've been a fan of the comic for a while. I was a bit wary of the anime adaption, but now that it's up on CR and Youtube so I can actually watch it...I know that I won't be able to. I quit halfway through Episode 5, I'm just too invested in the original, and can't accept the changes. Mostly in regards to the personality of the characters. Really, manga and anime are artforms that are all about character, and if you mess that up, people just can't connect to the narrative. Plus I think a lot of the reshuffling messes up the flow of the series.

Although, I have a few questions for people who have watched the show, about whether or not they included some things from the manga version:

1. spoiler[Do Excel and Steiner have sex?]
2. spoiler[Did Steiner and Excel cause Mayu's death?]
3. spoiler[Do they ever include the "down-on-his-luck boxer" story from the end of Volume 1? That was almost my favorite story in the whole series.]

There is one good thing I can say about the anime, though. It's the first time I've ever actually really liked an English VA's performance of a "moe character." Specifically, Laura Bailey as Kuro. This is good because I loooove Kuro. She combines all my favorite moe points: poor homeless girl, and innocent foreign princess, and she's ridiculously GARmoe (Cute girls who are also manly badasses. Sort of like Toph in Avatar). I remember not much liking her performance as Henrietta in Gunslinger Girl, so I guess she's improved a good bit in the last...4 or 5 years or so?[/spoiler]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, this one flew under my radar, but considering I just watched all the available episodes of it in one afternoon, marithon-like, a few days ago I'd say I'm pretty into it now. I'm looking forward to the rest when it's available. Cool
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
@einhorn303

That would be no to all three questions.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the series. I haven't read the manga, but I think I'll pick it up after I've seen it all. My only complaint, really, is that Kuro and Keita got along too well too fast. I know they couldn't do a Shikabane Hime thing were spoiler[it literally takes until the end of the series for the kickass femme to fully accept her partner] but I think they should have played up Keita's resentment at being dragged into Kuro's "world" more.

Oh and with regard to this:

einhorn303 wrote:

Although, I have a few questions for people who have watched the show, about whether or not they included some things from the manga version:

1. spoiler[Do Excel and Steiner have sex?]

I don't know what Excel looks like in the manga, but spoiler[for her and Steiner to have had sex in the anime, wouldn't that have been pretty pedo? I know she is older in age than she looks, but still...]
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't know what Excel looks like in the manga, but spoiler[for her and Steiner to have had sex in the anime, wouldn't that have been pretty pedo? I know she is older in age than she looks, but still...]

Her character design is the same, so yeah, pretty much. It's manga, so such things are to be expected. Relevant pages with text removed:

http://i42.tinypic.com/9puofc.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/95sj6q.png
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
About Kurokami...
For me the show basically hits on everything that I want a shounen show to be: a little cuteness, mild humor, some drama and tons of action. Kurokami does all of those things pretty well for me.

I think the show will have the feedback of FullMetal Alchemist. I think that people who have only seen the anime will grade the show anywhere from ok to really good based on how much they like the genre. Most of the negative comments on here aren't that the show is bad, but that it's not a 100% copy of the manga. The complaints aren't at all about the quality of the show, but rather a list of what's different.

About some of the comments...
A scene for scene, word for word, shot for shot copy is pretty unappealing to me. I feel like that approach always lessens either the anime or the manga. If you prefer anime to manga then the manga is like a quick and dirty spoiler and the anime is when you get to see the real version with score, motion and voices. If you prefer manga to anime, I guess the manga is the real thing and the anime is something you watch only when you hear that a scene that you wanted to see animated will be on... or you don't watch it at all because you know everything that will happen, how it will happen and when it will happen.

I prefer the FullMetal Alchemist approach. You can use one medium to tell a copycat story of the other, or you can tell two different stories that are both worth watching/reading. 2 good things is better than one good thing any day of the week imo.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
About Kurokami...
For me the show basically hits on everything that I want a shounen show to be: a little cuteness, mild humor, some drama and tons of action. Kurokami does all of those things pretty well for me.

I think the show will have the feedback of FullMetal Alchemist. I think that people who have only seen the anime will grade the show anywhere from ok to really good based on how much they like the genre. Most of the negative comments on here aren't that the show is bad, but that it's not a 100% copy of the manga. The complaints aren't at all about the quality of the show, but rather a list of what's different.

I haven't read the manga yet as I'm saving it until I finish the anime precisely so I can judge it on its own merits. And I'm finding the Kurokami anime to be very mediocre, at best. Keita is the most boring lead character ever, most of the fights have been pretty dull, the music direction is terrible, and the series best moments tend to be when its laughably bad in its developments.

Oh, and I like the genre (I like most genres of anime), so that's not an issue.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I like it, but I would admit it's more on the ok->good range than the very good->excellent range.

I think Shikabane Hime was a little better personally, since someone else referenced that here. But this is somewhere close to that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, very cool eppie (#20). I can't say I saw any of that coming. Oh and by the way, that scribe chick has got some heavy duty booby-bombs goin' on. Twisted Evil
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the 20 episodes of Kurokami that Bandai has released so far. It seems to be pure shounen with a little drama. If the manga is a seinen type then they must have made some major changes. The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the art and animation are good quality. The action looks like street fighting which is fairly common and it reminds me a lot of Dragon Ball Z, especially in later episodes. Kurokami is a turn-off-your-brain-and-watch-explosions type of show, but it's definitely a lot more entertaining than DBZ. Overall quality is also superior when compared to other series of this type. I recommend this to anyone looking for action.
Alerhys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
ANN still claims that there are 24 episodes, but the end of Episode 22 sure looked like a finale to me. Any new word on this?
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Alerhys wrote:
ANN still claims that there are 24 episodes, but the end of Episode 22 sure looked like a finale to me. Any new word on this?

Although episode 22 sure did feel like a "last episode", you must've missed the "Next Episode: Path" at the bottom right of the screen at the very end. So there is at least 23 episodes.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Alerhys wrote:

Although episode 22 sure did feel like a "last episode", you must've missed the "Next Episode: Path" at the bottom right of the screen at the very end. So there is at least 23 episodes.

Yeah, 22 did seem like a final episode, but a "Next Episode" thing at the bottom is a dead giveaway that there's more to this story.

Kinda like s-CRY-ed Episode 24 where spoiler[Kazuma beats Kyoji Mujo with the "Proud Fist" and since the main bad guy has been beaten, it seems like it SHOULD be over but it turns out there's something more to the plot.] I'm still hoping somehow Sunrise can pull a second season out of their butt in Winter 2010 or something, but in this economy, I guess it's highly unlikely. Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
So I watched the final episode of Kurokami tonight. It was mostly spoiler[a rehash of things we'd already seen with a little bit of new stuff added in (i.e. Keita and Akane getting married). I found the very end kind of sad because it was obvious that Kuro and Keita never saw each other again after Kuro went back to the Pure Place. I guess that also means there will never be another season of Kurokami.]

I enjoyed most of the series. I found the last three or four episodes to be kind of a tedious marathon of non-stop fighting. The "action" was always my least favourite part of the show...I was more invested in the character interactions and various plot movements. And Akane's huge knockers.

I can see myself picking this up on DVD somewhere down the line if it becomes available.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Alerhys wrote:

ANN was right, there are technically 24 episodes. 1-23 and one of the episodes is titled like 12.5 or something to make 24. The final episode (23) was just released last Wednesday.

Overall this series was just incredibly good and fun to watch. It just had that good old "fun factor" like Buso Renkin and Scryed which I liked so much, it's hard to explain. I enjoyed the story and liked the action scenes and interesting characters. It also looked very nice visually and had a good soundtrack. In addition, the second opening just totally rocks. I love that song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4