• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:

Nope, your wrong there lad. But water under the bridge and all that.

Unpopular opinion: Revolutionary Girl Utena is better than Sailor Moon.

Actually, no I'm not wrong. If you have a question as to why a post of yours was removed the proper course of action is you PM the mod who removed it and ask, or PM another mod. At the very least you ask civilly in the thread. Rule #1 here actually, be civil. Regardless if your post was the offending post, or just collateral damage as in this case, being condescending and having a blatant attitude will not help your cause. Nor will further condescension towards another mod "lad". Your post being removed was not a reflection against you as a poster as errinundra said. If you had asked civilly why it was removed we'd not be having this conversation right now. So as already stated moving forward if you ever have a question regarding a moderator's action, whatever it may be, it would be best served to inquire about it civilly. Rule #1 and all.

Moving on.... you're also supposed to actually list reasons behind your opinions. Why do you think Utena is better than Sailor Moon?

Errinundra wrote:

My unpopular opinion: I dislike this thread intensely. It promotes negativity. Many of the opinions expressed are borderline trolling. The title even encourages it. I can't complain too much, though - I consented to be moderator. I'd much rather people say why they think something underappreciated is so good. For example, I think Flowers of Evil is gorgeous to look at and a mesmerising story, but I'll leave that to my review thread at a later date.

I agree with you. For starters users can always discuss any negative opinions about a show in it's review thread(s) or official series thread. Over time this thread has really just become a dumping ground for rants and negative opinions. A place to toss around controversial opinions and rants for the sake of simply having them. Which is not the same as simply being "unpopular". Like saying you prefer Robotech over Macross. Now that's an unpopular opinion, but if you simply listed the positives of Robotech and why you like it more, as opposed to the failings of Macross, the post would have an entirely different feel to it. Doesn't help that this thread is supposed to be a place for people to post their unpopular opinions and get them out but yet most get all offended and contentious over those opinions. Defeats the purpose of having a "safe" thread to post those unpopular opinions. Negative or positive in tone. Starting to wonder if this thread has perhaps run it's course and become more trouble than it's worth.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote
So long as we don't have to discuss RWBY all too often, i'm cool with that. Life is much too short!

And my apologise, Errinundra, I misunderstood the intentions of your actions, deleting that post chain. Onwards ever onwards!

Psycho101 (apt name by the sounds of it), "lad" is a term of endearment where I come from, no malice was intended and I was happy to let the whole thing go. I'm sorry if I can sometimes come off a bit dickish, thats just the Irishman in me.

As for Utena over Sailor Moon, I guess where as SM eventually never amounted to more than the sum of it's parts Utena is, pardon the pun, revolutionary to me personally for a sense of personal awakening. It was the first body of fiction to force me to look at who I am, who I denied myself from being and who I wanted to be. It's SMART writing, brilliantly self contained stuff and visually splendid despite it's small budget.

Also, that [expletive] soundtrack man. The [expletive] soundtrack!!!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
I think I have to agree that this thread has run its course, if it was ever a good idea to begin with. I suspect it is the title. It acts as a magnet for negative opinions.

On the other hand, I'm really reluctant to recommend changes that would result in even less traffic to the forum then we have now.

As a suggestion, perhaps we could change the title to something like "unorthodox anime opinions" or "heterodox anime opinions" or even "non kosher anime opinions". Better yet, lock this thread and start a new one with the new title. Perhaps "unusual, weird and different anime opinions" ....

Lets blow off all the manhole covers in Errinundra's sewer. Wink
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to rename this thread.

I like "Unusual, weird or dfiferent anime opinions." That may encourage some creativity.

Or even, "Blowing the manhole covers from the sewers: unusual, weird or different anime opinions." It fits.

(Didn't something like that happen in one of the Dirty Pair episodes?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^
Re: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. While I wouldn't necessarily call it plotless garbage, I would say that that it is hopelessly superficial. I could never -- and still do not -- understand its popularity.

I'm presuming you don't have much (any?) viewing background in classic giant robot series, then. A big part of TTGL's popularity is that it is an unabashed homage to that storytelling tradition, and especially the macho spirit that goes hand-in-hand with it.

As for renaming the thread, I think the thread name is fine as as, though we might have to add in a note on the OP stressing that this thread is meant strictly for unpopular opinions, and not just taking potshots at things.

(And BTW, that Utena is better than Sailor Moon is not an unpopular opinion. Utena is adored by the more artistic crowd and has an average rating more than a full point higher on this site.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm presuming you don't have much (any?) viewing background in classic giant robot series, then. A big part of TTGL's popularity is that it is an unabashed homage to that storytelling tradition, and especially the macho spirit that goes hand-in-hand with it.

That would explain why it did not do much for me. I am not a fan of the giant robot genre, or of macho spirit.
I did not think that Gurren Lagann was bad, I just had trouble staying interested in it. I did watch all of it, and still own the Bandai complete collection DVD release, but I have so far not felt any desire to watch it again.

Quote:
As for renaming the thread, I think the thread name is fine as as,

I agree. "Unpopular" is a good word for the intent of this thread.
Changing the title is not going to make people stick to the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
@Key

That must be part of what happened to me with Gurran Lagenn. It was a blind buy for me. I only watched a couple or three episodes and stopped. Later when I realized I had no intention of trying it again I gave it away. I have no background in any form of robot show. I can't get past how silly the idea of a humanoid mecha (they are not robots which is another issue) is either on land or in space. I'm not sure why that bothers me so much as I can accept aerodynamic space ships that never are in an atmosphere which is just as silly. I'm also no fan at all of "macho spirit".

That may not be all of it though. The same thing happened to me with Madoka Magica which has neither "robots" or macho spirit. I just haven't given that away yet.

In a sense I think the name of this thread is a misnomer as a lot of the opinions expressed are not "unpopular" as they are simply different and not previously expressed. Others are simply minority opinions and not "unpopular" as such.

Also, as I have expressed previously, I think putting instructions in the OP is pointless. Until I was informed of this in connection with the prior discussion of recommendation threads, it never occurred to me that there would be instructions in the OP. I still think that most of the people needing instruction will not think to check there. The only purpose that serves is have something to cite when you pull them up short. That just makes them defensive.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
I'm happy to rename this thread.

I like "Unusual, weird or dfiferent anime opinions." That may encourage some creativity

I like Norm-breaking Anime Opinions, which has a more positive ring to it and sounds less like a thread for social misfits. Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

(And BTW, that Utena is better than Sailor Moon is not an unpopular opinion. Utena is adored by the more artistic crowd and has an average rating more than a full point higher on this site.)

I was going to mention that myself. Heck, most of my friends who have seen both prefer Utena. I think SM has more of the nostalgia factor going for it due to it's more mainstream success. It was definitely a gateway title for many many people. While I do think it has stood up reasonably well over time I do think Utena had more depth. It had more passion. It definitely had more artistry. But SM is like that comfy old blanket that you never get rid of. Too many fond memories.

As for the thread title and debate to change it or not.....I am on the fence myself. I would like to think the title as is would be fine if people stuck to that without heading right into downer debby territory. To me the problem with adding a note into the OP as you suggested Key is how many do you think will go back and read that before making a new post? Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I think adding a warning into the OP would realistically not do much. Most people will simply click on the newest 1 or 2 pages before posting. So while I would like it to stay as is, since it adequately suggest what they topic SHOULD be about, I just can't help but feel a change might be necessary to change the overall atmosphere that has permeated in this thread now.

Hawkmonger wrote:

Psycho101 (apt name by the sounds of it), "lad" is a term of endearment where I come from, no malice was intended and I was happy to let the whole thing go. I'm sorry if I can sometimes come off a bit dickish, thats just the Irishman in me.

If you say no malice was intended then I'll take you at your word. More often than not simple terms of endearment, such as lad or honey or pal, can come off as sarcastic and/or condescending. Especially when it's the internet and facial expressions and tone of voice are absent from the discussion. So if you did not intend to convey such an attitude than I'm more than happy to move on.

As for my handle/name here......you have no idea how apt it can be. I'm Irish & Scottish myself. I also just learned this past week apparently I'm also Native American. Probably Cherokee or Blackfoot I think. Have to double check on that. Parents go to Ireland/Scotland a few years back and we discover my dad's family was, maybe still is, IRA and now after going to Arizona mom's Scottish side has Native American in it from the mid west and up around the Dakotas as well. Not sure what you get when you mix Irish, Scottish, and Native American. Apparently me but I'm not sure what that equates to.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:
Apparently me but I'm not sure what that equates to.

American, US type. The international equivalent to a Heinz dog (57 varieties). I'm French, German, English, Irish and Scots myself, same end result though.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
As for the thread title and debate to change it or not.....I am on the fence myself. I would like to think the title as is would be fine if people stuck to that without heading right into downer debby territory. To me the problem with adding a note into the OP as you suggested Key is how many do you think will go back and read that before making a new post?

As a user, I'll just throw it out there that it depends. For me, if the threads are pretty small (say 2-3 pages) then I'll probably read all of it from the beginning. But with a thread that has 52 pages and a self-explanatory thread title, I just look at how other people are posting most recently and roll with it.

I know when I wrote my post for this thread (that might very well be some of the cause for this discussion), I was unaware that there was any sort of necessary format. Embarassed

Psycho 101 wrote:
If you say no malice was intended then I'll take you at your word. More often than not simple terms of endearment, such as lad or honey or pal, can come off as sarcastic and/or condescending. Especially when it's the internet and facial expressions and tone of voice are absent from the discussion.

And herein is really where the problem lies with perceived negativity, probably. I know that when I wrote my post out here not so long ago that I didn't write anything with any intention of coming off as fed up. I was actually just pretty amused with how silly my more unpopular opinions are as they are not the norm. So I jotted them all down and let it fly without much thought of how I might be coming across.

I certainly don't take myself seriously and consider my opinion as fact. Opinion is in the title so...I just thought that was automatically implied so felt free to say things with declarative statements. Confused

But looking back on it, my post reads a lot more blarghy than ever truly intended. And I'm sure other people are in the same boat. It's a lot easier to speak your mind than to sit and process how to put a positive spin on a negative thought. Razz

That's why I like to use the emoticons to add a certain face/tone to set the mood. Surprised
But that's where I stand.

As to the issue at hand, I liked Night fox's idea for Norm-breaking Anime Opinions, but that being said, I am not all that convinced that changing the name of the thread would make much difference in the long run. These threads tend to find their roots. Confused

Last edited by stilldemented on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
^
I would say that that if any instructions are added to the OP, then the title should be edited to include a sentence asking people to read the OP first.

My 2¢.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Utena is better than Sailor Moon anime wise. 90s anime anyway. So far I finished up until Sailor Moon R's end, and I have to say that SM is Shojou DBZ while Utena is Shojou Yu Yu Hakusho. Dragonball has a static character going through a straightforward but at the time original plot, while YYH is a more coming of age story on a smaller scale.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And BTW, that Utena is better than Sailor Moon is not an unpopular opinion. Utena is adored by the more artistic crowd and has an average rating more than a full point higher on this site.

Ugh, I don't agree with that at all. Utena herself was the only likable character. In Sailor Moon, we had a whole bunch of likable characters. Sailor Moon also didn't try to beat the viewers over the head with the message of "All men are jerkwads. Become a lesbian!" Don't get me started on the relationships in that series....they all sucked.

The character design is also rather bizarre.

(lol as you can tell, I strongly dislike RGU. I find it very overrated and pretentious to boot. It took eveything I love about shoujo series and made it wrong.)

But I'm not sure why you would even compare the two series in the first place. They barely have anything in common....? Unlike YuYu and DBZ which have a lot in common but YuYu is yes, WAY superior in every way. Anime hyper
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Key wrote:
And BTW, that Utena is better than Sailor Moon is not an unpopular opinion. Utena is adored by the more artistic crowd and has an average rating more than a full point higher on this site.

Ugh, I don't agree with that at all. Utena herself was the only likable character. In Sailor Moon, we had a whole bunch of likable characters. Sailor Moon also didn't try to beat the viewers over the head with the message of "All men are jerkwads. Become a lesbian!" Don't get me started on the relationships in that series....they all sucked.

The character design is also rather bizarre.

(lol as you can tell, I strongly dislike RGU. I find it very overrated and pretentious to boot. It took eveything I love about shoujo series and made it wrong.)

I actually value your opinion somewhat. Utena isn't the masterpiece that people perceive it as (some people say that it takes multiple viewings to truly appreciate, and that's a flaw if you ask me). A more straightforward narrative with symbolism intertwined would be great. Between Tutu, Madoka, and Utena, I think that's why Tutu is my personal favorite.

My problem with Sailor Moon is the opposite of why you dislike Utena. Usagi is a little too weak of a person. I keep getting told that it's to make her more relatable, but that would be fine if she outgrew it early on or even by episode 50. Instead, toward the climax of each arc, Usagi becomes brave, strong, kindhearted, selfless, etc. only to reset at the beginning of the next arc. I always found that to be annoying. Granted, I never hated her or strongly disliked Usagi. I just feel like I've seen her character done better with Duck from Tutu and Madoka from... erm... Madoka. Anime hyper

Also, I know this is off topic, but I liked how in Tutu, when Duck transformed, her voice became elegant and her behavior was completely devoid of comic relief despite still being weak in a fight. I think Sailor Moon could have benefited from a similar effect, albeit, to a lesser extent. It's pretty surprising that with all the Sailor Guardians, somehow Sailor Moon is known as a hero in-universe before anyone else, despite her doing almost none of the fighting until the final blow. A bit of MC indulgence, hm?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 84