• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
This show could have done better IMO if they spent their time thoroughly exploring characters and smaller details, making me care more, even if they only got as far as the school festival arc by the 12th episode. Especially since the school festival stories were a mess as presented. If it were a 2-cour show or if they were lucky enough to get a second season then the story told here in 6 episodes would have been told much better in 12.

It runs the risk of the problems that showed at the end of Sankarea, with the later episodes losing the economy of story telling shown earlier. But ya know what? I'm happier with Sankarea. I really liked the story with the little sister, I liked learning about Wanko, I liked the story of the wife/stepmother, and the details presented in those stories present a richer story and will probably be important if they get lucky enough to get a second season.

thoroughly told but unfinished Sankarea > Finished but rushed Dusk Maiden

I waited until after I saw the last episode of Sankarea before commenting on this. Apparently you did not have the problem with the second half of that series that I did - i.e. that all of the side story development threw off the pacing of the series. (In fact, that's been the most common complaint about Sankarea.) I felt that those needlessly-thorough side stories about Mero and Ranko hurt more than helped; there were some useful details that came out of them, so they weren't a total waste, but they had me rolling my eyes at the fact that I had to wait an extra week to get back to the main story that truly interested me. Sure, Ranko's fleshed her out a bit more, but was that really needed? It didn't reveal much of anything that we couldn't already assume about her character. (It's not like she's not a stock character.) Mero's was pretty much just fan service for Mero fans, with one significant implication about her and Chihiro's mother thrown in that could have easily been integrated into the regular episode content. IOW, while cute, neither of those episodes added anything to the story that couldn't have been filtered into a regular episode.

And what was the result of including those episodes? We got a cliffhanger ending resulting from the series running out of time to resolve anything beyond the business with Rea's father. If I ignore that ending then I can rate Sankarea overall about even with DMoA, but that's a comedown from the midseason point, when I was clearly rating Sankarea as the better series.

Don't get me wrong here; I do value character development highly, as I think I've made pretty clear in reviews and forum tournaments over the years. However, I'm also free willing to acknowledge that character development which comes at the expense of tight, smoothly-flowing storytelling isn't a help, and sometimes it can get in the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
@Cecilthedarkknight_234

I can't agree with that, especially since the story isn't as fleshed out as it could be and while this may not fully be a harem show (Despite all girls liking the boy) it is still partially a romance comedy.
And there really shouldn't be such a exaggerated delineation between character and plot-driven stories. There are stories, and I want them to be complete.

If for some reason, Clannad did have a break after the Fuuko arc, it still would have finished at a good temporary ending (spoiler[The two using their first names]) and that would have been preferable to shoving an entire story into half the length.

And FMA could have been postponed after (spoilers please) spoiler[Hughes dies]. It was a mid point event and where the first TV mainly diverged. You may not like it, but you still would have enjoyed what was told already and be hoping for more.

Those simply aren't the same thing. As you brought up Key anime (Clannad) consider the series of theirs that is largely considered a failure- the first version of Kanon. You see, Dusk Maiden is a little like Kanon(2002). It may have told a complete story, but because Kanon didn't take the time to tell it completely, they had to do it again to tell it well. I've never seen the 2002 Kanon so I can't say Dusk Maiden is really comparable, after all, Dusk Maiden is still a good story and from what I hear, Kanon 2002 is quite bad all around, with the rushed story and badly animated too, but the point remains. Don't short-cut a series.

@Key
I acknowledged the weakness of Sankarea. But I still prefer it. Watching Sankarea weekly probably emphasizes the pacing problems of the show but if you take it as a whole without needing to wait an entire week and even getting stuck with an off week, I think it ultimately works better. It gives me the details I want.

If I were to rewatch Dusk Maiden (which I've already said I don't want to do) I think the rushed aspects would be emphasized and the dropped story elements and missing character development would be amplified. Maybe the upcoming OVA will help, give some desired fleshing out... or it could just be fan service fest... I've been burned with those types of OVA before after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
@Key
I acknowledged the weakness of Sankarea. But I still prefer it. Watching Sankarea weekly probably emphasizes the pacing problems of the show but if you take it as a whole without needing to wait an entire week and even getting stuck with an off week, I think it ultimately works better.

I'll admit that sometimes seeing a series in one or two sittings, rather than weekly, can make a significant difference, but I'm not convinced that would be the case there. I've marathoned other series which have storytelling structures similar to Sanakarea and the fluff character development doesn't make the interruptions in the main story any less of a distraction.

Quote:
If I were to rewatch Dusk Maiden (which I've already said I don't want to do) I think the rushed aspects would be emphasized and the dropped story elements and missing character development would be amplified.

Again, just for clarity's sake for those who haven't chosen to follow the long-winded parts of this debate, I disagree almost entirely that the bolded problems even exist. In fact, I think you'd discover that those factors aren't as big a problem as you think if you were to watch the whole thing together.

Quote:
Maybe the upcoming OVA will help, give some desired fleshing out... or it could just be fan service fest... I've been burned with those types of OVA before after all.

Given what you wanted out of this series, I wouldn't get your hopes up. My estimation is that it will be one of the mysteries from the manga that the main series skipped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
What I've learned about this thread is that people are going to get butthurt one way or the other about series that are 13 episodes long. How many times do you see people at each other's throats over a 26 episode series? Hardly any.

Again, would've LOVED to see this in 26 episodes but I am plenty satisfied with the story provided. I look forward to more like it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
butthurt

lordy, I hate that word. This was actually one of the better debates I've had on the forum. No one one budged but the arguments were pretty well represented and it doesn't look like anyone got too "upset." I'll take this over an argument with dtm any day of the week.... then again, as the main voice of dissent, it probably helps that I don't hate the show and in fact mostly enjoyed it, I just have a difference in opinion on a part of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah at least this has not got anywhere close to some of the discussions at the I think there was last season. Wait what series was it, I think it was the Another thread. I don't think this has got really bad here.

Well it could probably change if some idiot comes in and starts saying that one small thing made the series automatically bad, and ignores any merit in the show.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:
butthurt

lordy, I hate that word. This was actually one of the better debates I've had on the forum. No one one budged but the arguments were pretty well represented and it doesn't look like anyone got too "upset." I'll take this over an argument with dtm any day of the week.... then again, as the main voice of dissent, it probably helps that I don't hate the show and in fact mostly enjoyed it, I just have a difference in opinion on a part of it.

This we can definitely agree on. We don't have anywhere near the degree of whining going on here that's necessary to justify that kind of comment. What Spastic Minnow and I are debating is different expectations for what a quality series must have - in other words, basically what separates a B-/B series (which is where SM seems to be rating DMoA) from a B+/A- series (which is where I'd be rating it).
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
After the first batch of episodes actually got me hyped up quite well, the love was kinda lost by the time of the spoiler[school festival.]

I can't really nail it to anything specific but in my book it felt like it reached a climax quite early that turned out to be kind of boring. And then another and then some more. I still got my entertainment out of it but I can't see myself rewatching this anytime.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Have I posted in this thread before...? Well, anyway, I've been pretty inconsistent with my viewing schedule of simulcasted shows, despite having access to a premium Crunchyroll subscription over the past few weeks. (I blame this on a reluctance to see most CR anime on anything but a Roku-connected HD TV now, and my watching the entirety of the final box set for Utena with little else in between.) So now I'm playing a bit of catch-up, some more than others... and Dusk Maiden is one of those shows, a series which I really got into halfway through its broadcast run.

I must say, it was an impressive series overall-- I really liked how dramatic and suspenseful the second half of the series became (and it was done in a way without making the earlier episodes' comedic hijinx completely irrelevant, what with the whole limited emotional sensitivity Yuuko possessed). The visual direction was also fantastic. It makes me curious about reading the manga, to be sure.

Now, episode 12: it's kind of nice to see that some others had thoughts that were somewhat in line with the immediate reaction I had upon seeing the very last minute that was the ending-- especially Blood-'s initial point, which hit the nail on the head.
Quote:
Had a very conflicted feeling about the end. spoiler[The good-bye stuff had me bawling like a baby. It's funny, I wanted - or thought I wanted - a way for them to be able to stay together. But now that's played out, I realize that while that may be very superficially satisfying, it's not the right ending.]

If this was a truly original (i.e. not manga-based) anime series or a series that wasn't beholden to the notion of "well, a second season could happen," I think we might've gotten a more artistically stronger, and admittedly more realistic, ending. That said, unlike what some have said here and elsewhere, I don't feel like all the emotional build-up was rendered meaningless. Not only was it the first prolonged period of time that Niiya got to spend with the "whole" Yuuko (at least as far as viewers got to see), but I found it to be a sweet meditation on and example of the fulfillment of "the bucket list" before moving on (spoiler[whether or not said-moving on does actually occur]). In that latter vein, I don't view it in a way that's so dissimilar from the both highly touching and blackly humorous episode of The Simpsons, "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish". Now of course, the contexts in which each of these episodes are very different from each other (with one being situated in an immensely popular and fairly discontinuous American sitcom where the status quo rarely ever changes while the other is a part of a much smaller and drama-minded animal), but they nonetheless hit upon similar points of drama and emotional chords pertaining to what one is to do in the midst of spoiler[what they assume is] their last of days on earth.

Ah... now that I wrote that, I feel more positive about what was by-vast-majority a beautifully done episode. End evaluation? Somewhere between Very Good and Excelent (though I think it's closer to the "Very Good" side of the spectrum).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Regarding a theoretical second season, we shouldn't assume that it has to feature Yuuko as a current character. And the way this story wrapped up, it is probably better if it doesn't.

Just my opinion...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't want to see a second season without Yuuko. Again, hard to imagine them coming up with a mystery as good as the one in this season, but there are plenty of other ghost stories that could be told at the school.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
anyone read the manga? i don't.
It looks this one just follow the manga with little or no change
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
After I watched all the episodes I hit the manga and it's completely different.

Both are fine, though I have to admit spoiler[Yuuko coming back at the end did feel wrong to an extent and very commercially driven.]

I really really enjoyed this series. But that ending was really hard to take I have to admit. I still gave it an Excellent, though I agree it was more between Very Good/Excellent. But I erred on the side of awesome because I freaking loved it Smile
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
@Riddley Is it kind of different or is it completely different to the extent that it isn't even telling the same story? I ask because I'm wondering if "adaption" is still the correct word to describe its relationship with the manga or if it is a retelling.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
No no, the anime completely got the spirit of the manga. Like, it was a brilliant adaptation imho. The anime doesn't stick strictly to the manga time-line and there are things missing from the anime that were in the manga and things that were added that weren't in the manga.

But I prefer that kind of situation because then I can enjoy both differently. It's like Game of Thrones. The books are different to the series, but as long as the spirit and themes from the story remain then you can enjoy both I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20