• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria Holic (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yeah, so after the second episode, I've realized I'm sick of the nosebleed cliche. I probably have been for a while, but most shows don't use it once a minute. I'm liking Mariya's manipulative nature, but Kanako is starting to grate on me. She doesn't have nearly enough depth for a lead character. And by that, I mean she doesn't have any depth.

The maid and the dorm manager are the only characters I find entertaining. Maria's abuse doesn't bother me but I don't find it funny either. I really don't like Kanako for the reasons you stated and I also don't like how the show has to find some justification for Kanako liking girls; it just gives the series a way for her to switch her preference easily once she finds some reason to stop hating men (though I'm not sure how Maria of all people is going to do that).

I was going to give the series one more episode to see if some of the other side characters gave me better reasons to continue, but the more I think about it, the more I don't really want to bother.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
furizaa wrote:
Am I the only one who still likes this show?

I still like it, I'm just not as in love with it as I was before it started airing. My friend picked up the manga after seeing the first episode and he said it was good, so I've still got hope it will pick up soon.

About the bullying, normally I don't like such things, but Kanako is too deceitful and conceited to play innocent victim. For me, it's a little like Yuuko picking on Watanuki in xxxHolic, the one being bullied kind of pisses me off, so I enjoy watching them suffer a little.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I like it. It's funny because 1) it is the main female character that lusts on girls and 2) the idea of the sweet torture she caused herself with her main target of lust to be something she never expected. The constant pun is how jaded by her obssession is Kanoko to the point she either cannot capture or apply simple reasonsing, or resists and complains only when her provisioned lust is being obstructed. What I really like about Maria Holic (aside from the art) is how passion comes with price - the more irrational, higher the price. I mean, would somebody in their right mind even enroll in school with such rules Very Happy, and isn't it just amusing how jumping into the candy-shop could turn to be a leap into a viper's nest.
As for Mariya, at this point she/he more confronts or questions Kanoko's naive sheepish admiration where Kanoko should do it herself, and if people bother to watch before writing, it was he that covered for Kanoko in public, not the other girls. Kanoko might see more of this in the next episodes.
Surely, there are plenty of yuri and ecchi series that make no attempts to put pervertedness in any than the predictable course of action and clearly don't offer confusing interpretations of modern sexual neuroticism, and I greatly encourage people to look up for those. As for the anti-bullying part..., oh, my mom bullied me to eat carrots in my early days of unbuilt self-defense. Horrible. Just horrible. I think it's the right time to see her in court. Rolling Eyes
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I also don't like how the show has to find some justification for Kanako liking girls; it just gives the series a way for her to switch her preference easily once she finds some reason to stop hating men

Indeed, that definitely bugs me too. I'm only about to see the second episode shortly, so we'll see if I end up hating it like seemingly everyone else does. D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:
As for Mariya, at this point she/he more confronts or questions Kanoko's naive sheepish admiration where Kanoko should do it herself, and if people bother to watch before writing, it was he that covered for Kanoko in public, not the other girls.

True, but also, in the act of covering for Kanako, it was obvious that she was doing so, and thus she gained respect from the class at large, so her motives are not entirely benign. I believe we've seen in every instance that initially appears to be selfless, Mariya is either actually acting also in her own self advancement or to entertain herself by playing mind games with Kanako. So, whether she is merely presenting her unwilling roommate with a helping of tough love or simply acting in her own interests is ambiguous.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
It would really depend how the series goes and what kind of scheme Mariya is after in the academy. It's pretty obvious that she secures her popularity and being "the" model student pretty aggressively, although, by default, she wouldn't need it. Apperantly, Mariya does not resort to the popular type of ijime to control the school and interact with others, it is also Kanoko who is too easy to be played with. I wasn't saying that Mariya is a hero of justice or something, but I cannot say she is a random and low level abuser without, perhaps, budding good points and reason. It was implied in ep. 1 that Kanoko's hatred for boys might be fairly immature/unjust or a cover for her lesbian drive, but put that aside, she might cause troubles for others and, eventually, to herself, which, in normal circumstances, would pain her even more.

But that's why I am watching this. Very Happy
animeboy12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty meh on the series right now. I'll give it a couple more episodes but I'm not really a fan of the whole blackmail premise and the whole abuse thing, isn't funny when it's a girl to a guy and still isn't when it's a guy to a girl.
Crimsonhawk009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first 2 episodes. Not sure how long I'll watch but, its interesting to say the least. I'm mainly wondering why the heck Mariya is cross dressing in an all girls school.

Kanako's reason for liking girls is definitely weak and not justified. We will see how long it holds my interest.

Oh and too much nosebleed so far...
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
furizaa wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:
furizaa wrote:
Am I the only one who still likes this show?

Maybe it's because I'm taking it with a grain of salt and not overanalyzing every single aspect possible about the show and just enjoying it for the laughs. Being anal about directing, art (which I actually think is very good), and stuff like that doesn't really work too well in the comedy genre, or at least I've come to understand.

I will continue to watch the show, probably until the end. Sure, a lot of the stuff has been done before, but what hasn't been done before anymore? It's funny, and that's all that I'm concerned about.

I still like it! I mean, sheesh I know 13, 12? episodes isn't much, but it's only been 2...and I still can't wait for the third.

Hurrah! There's still hope for mankind! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who watches a show just for the laughs anymore.

I have watched 4 eps. and so far i enjoy it too. I don't know if it's just me but i always thought it was supposed to be a parody of everything yuri. The setting reminds of Mari-mite and strawberrry panic but here the airheaded lead is into girls from the start, the idol is not only younger than her but also secretly a boy (and a major jackass, hate that hole master-servant thing). mix that up with a few comical jabbs at the harem-genre in general (the nose-bleeds, the hives etc etc) and you have maria holic in a nutshell.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
I kept watching, and since episode 3 it did get better. Kanako can be really funny when she's not cowering in front of Mariya. The comedy improved, and the focus is less on Mariya's abuse and more on the other characters. Plus Kanako gets help, even if unintentional (can't let the secret out!). I'm enjoying the deconstruction of Kanako's Strawberry Panic dream as the reality of who these people are is revealed. I'll avoid spoilers and just say Ryuuken's little arc is priceless, but not the only example so far. I just wish there were more Matsurika and God Smile.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
This series is awesome!

Now I am no yuri expert but I know it can be worse (recent Saki anyone?). Just think about this: crossdressing sadistic boy Maria and an energetic lesbian girl Kanako(who finds his secret in first episode) in an all girl school sounds hilarious on its own, then you add high quality art and animation, good soundtrack and absolutely unique opening and closing sequence and you get your masterpice of romantic comedy. Being yuri just adds more to unique feel of Maria Holic, as well as leading to some hilarious misunderstandings.

I would like recommend this to people who love light comedies like Minami-Ke (at least first season was hilarious) and Rosario + Vampire
ZashikiWarashi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
For the love of god, don't compare this to SZS. I'm 3 episodes in and haven't even been able to crack a smile... still waiting for the punchline, but I guess they're going to stick with the "let's fit as many cliches into one episode as we can" route. One more episode and I'm dropping it. The only thing it had going for it was SHAFT.

Edit: Dropped. SZS and subsequent sequels are 100x funnier and more entertaining than this steaming pile. ANN - PLEASE remove the comedy tag! hehe. I thought I'd be able to take something away from this with the Comedy & Romance tag but meh.... My own fault for picking this up when the people that like it are recommending things like Rosario + Vampire.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ugh I never said it was like SZS, but I will agree that Rosario to Vampire is bad, though it was promising for about first 3 episodes.

However, Maria+Holic is not that bad. It's just not your taste in anime, so you don't have to yell: "worst ever". Many characters are your standart achetypes, and even nosebleeds do get overused at times, but it still has its appleal. Series is in no way perfect but it is faily well done.

Again no need to be all pissed because its not your cup of tea.

PS: "God loves things with tragic past" Razz
ZashikiWarashi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Ugh I never said it was like SZS, but I will agree that Rosario to Vampire is bad, though it was promising for about first 3 episodes.

However, Maria+Holic is not that bad. It's just not your taste in anime, so you don't have to yell: "worst ever". Many characters are your standart achetypes, and even nosebleeds do get overused at times, but it still has its appleal. Series is in no way perfect but it is faily well done.

Again no need to be all pissed because its not your cup of tea.

PS: "God loves things with tragic past" Razz

I wasn't even referring to you as far as lumping it with SZS just because of the art/director. And if you read what I said, I stated "my fault for picking this up", I'm hardly angry or "all pissed" about the couple hours of my life that I lost that I'll never get back. You know these type of anime are for a certain niche audience, and the vast majority of anime fans just won't get it, and it opens itself up to ridicule because of that. I'm not sure why you're quoting "worst ever" either, since I never even remotely stated that, but you're right, I'm sure this has a nice cozy home on many peoples worst 5 list.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
You fail at distinguishing format from quality. They are independent of each other. Even if the jokes fail, that doesn't mean a show isn't comedy. Just because a show isn't as good as another doesn't mean they shouldn't be compared stylistically or in tone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4