• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best and worst dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Worst for me was PING PONG CLUB. Overall the performances seemed too restrained for that kind of comedy-- I think it works better if the actors ham it up with a lot of intensity. And I especially hated that TMNT-sounding voice for the long-haired-pretty-boy. That's the only time I couldn't finish the dub and had to switch to sub. As for best I can't think of an overall show, but a few roles come to mind. Domon and Master Asia from G GUNDAM are two of my favorites; I just love the overzealous passion in their performances, especially when they're shouting out their signature moves. And I liked the voice for Matsuri from STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW; it kind of reminded me of some of the voices from the PEANUTS cartoons: a mild tone with an evenly-, perhaps overly-paced rythm and enunciation style that sounds like a little kid trying to talk really well. I think it was Linus that also talked like that.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I just want to express my love of the dub here for Full Metal Panic.
I like this either way, and I think the dub is very good. I think Souske's deadpan comes across prefect, the frenetic Kaname, I like I think every voice in this! The VA's play the highs and lows so well...
Tessa, and my beloved Kurz...
Sometimes Mao's seems a little off character to me, but I still like.
Anime World

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I remember the edited english dubs on DBZ seasons 1 and 2. The voice acting was terrible. Master Roshi sounds like a whimpy cowboy. Plus all together it had 50 episodes. I prefer watching the first 2 english dub uncut seasons because it had better voice acting and it has all 67 episodes.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Best- CB and EoE, and sailormoon seasons 1-1.5 and Tenchi,purely for sentimental reasons.

Worst...Hmm.... Slave Nurses was bad even for dub standards. Kaleido Star, Slayer- the acting want bad, but everyone seemed terribly miscast. Cat Returns for Using Dubtitles, and for Tim Curry,despite how godly he is, turned the King of Cats into a f'n hippie. I think the old Nausicaa Dub should be up there. Heh.. Princess Zandra. Ahhhh priceless. Sailormoon, and the 4-kids jobs for missing the mark so bad it hurts.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Of course I could just make you all start a new one, but some of you put already put in a lot of work, so I'll be nice just this once. Please do NOT revive threads over a month old unless any of you have something relavent to add (considering this thread was made in 2002!). Thanks.

D'oh, I didn't even notice the dates. I wouldn't have replied otherwise. Sorry about that, Tony!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
i have to agree the best dub I've heard was cowboy bebop, i also liked the scrapped princess dub especially the voice actor for shannon, he sounded very convincing. yu yu hakusho dub is second in line to cowboy bebop, all the characters seem to fit the part perfectly

worsts... i didn't like the prince of tennis dubs. it just plain sounds strange to me when they start explaining about tennis

edit- man im out of it lol i had the image of the past avatar of the mod zalis in mind when i typed it. replaced with shannon

Last edited by Clodus on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Bible Black for worst dub ever.

Good God! This was the first time I've heard this dubbed, and that was just bad. But you know, hentai's hentai; I don't have high expectations for the voice work in either language. There's only so much high-pitched, Japanese girl voices I can take.

Quote:
Can anyone name a very well dubbed hentai?

Well, I thought La Blue Girl wasn't terrible; not good, but not the worst.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime World wrote:
I remember the edited english dubs on DBZ seasons 1 and 2. The voice acting was terrible. Master Roshi sounds like a whimpy cowboy. Plus all together it had 50 episodes. I prefer watching the first 2 english dub uncut seasons because it had better voice acting and it has all 67 episodes.

I disagree. If anything, the FUNimation dub was a giant wannabe cast of the old Ocean voices. I remember when they started airing the new episodes on Toonami, and I was so excited they brought the series back, only to hear the crappy, knock-off impersonators hired off the streets of Ft. Worth.

And remember all of those edits were made by Saban, which only doubly screwed over, what I feel, was the better dub. Pioneer (now Geneon) only distributed those DVDs and had no control over editing and production.

I thought the Ocean voices fit a lot better for a majority of the characters. And aside from some translation and pronunciation hiccups, I'd much prefer the talents of Briann Drummond, Scott McNeil, and Ted Cole over Chris Sabat playing half the goshdarn cast and with some of the dumbest, cheesiest deliveries I've heard in dubbing (yes, worse than a 4Kids dub). "Man, Piccolo, you're the BOMB!" Rolling Eyes. At least the hacked up Ocean script sounded cool and funny. "It's over 9,000~~!" Laughing. Thanks to whoever made that video.

The original releases of the first three movies are still the best English adaptations you can find of DBZ anywhere, in my opinion. It had the Ocean voices, uncut content, a good translation for the English script and subtitles, and it even kept the original music. Too bad we'll never hear the likes of that again...
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I could not care what you folk already believe to be the worst, for I have run across one title that would earn scorn from every single person on this forum, forcing the unfortunate enough to see it to rethink their positions on the most abysmal dub. Heck, even the worst of ADV or Geneon cannot compare with the title. It is so outright terrible, even a dub lover like myself who is a bit harsher than even the most picky of dub critics was shocked.

*drum-roll*

spoiler[Bible Black]
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
Best Dub

Madlax, I think Adv Films dub of Madlax was one of the best I;ve seen from most animes animated by Bee Train, the voice acting was perfect and sounded very close to the japanese voices and fitted the characters nicely, and plus, the dvd extras like the Conversations with the SSS Outakes were really funny, especially with the Gilmore Girls reference.

Worst Dub Ever:

Defentilly Wedding Peach, god, did this anime irritated me to Hell, one of AdV;s worst dubs other than Sonic the Movie, not only did the voice acting for all the characters downright sucked,but the dialouge was irritating too, the main character Wedding Peach has a much more Crappy catchphrase than Sailor Moon and Mew Ichigo from the dubbed Mew Mew Power. I mean,what the Hell kind of Catchphrase is" I am the love angel Wedding peach,and I am extremly angry with you!!", and If I have to hear Potamos say" Don't ya know" one more time, I was gonna crack, the Dub made me wanna shoot my television and turn the volume way down! this Anime was basically Sailor Moon gone on Crack Evil or Very Mad Worst than the Dic Sailor Moon Dub,hell, I'd Rather torcher myself with the Mew Mew Power dub than this pile of monstrocity.

and as for Saban, yes, they're the satans of evil next to the current 4Kids,any animes they touch like Samurai Pizza Cats(although I found this one funny though Smile ), Mon Colle Knights, and the early DBZ episodes(the one with the ocean group cast) amidiantly go down the warp hole of chaos, and did you know they originally planned to make they're own americanized Sailor Moon? it was so bad, it sent my teeth chomping,thank god Dic got it first,although it was still butchered,but that was nothing compared to the monstrocity that Saban originally planned for it Evil or Very Mad
arkady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
i have to agree the best dub I've heard was cowboy bebop, i also liked the scrapped princess dub especially the voice actor for shannon, he sounded very convincing.

I'll second that. Not all of the voices in that show were as top-notch as they could have been (the troubadour sounded a bit overdone to me, and the Prince was like a high-school play tryout, reading from a cold script), but the main characters, especially Shannon, were outstanding.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
arkady wrote:
Clodus wrote:
i also liked the scrapped princess dub especially the voice actor for shannon, he sounded very convincing.

I'll second that. Not all of the voices in that show were as top-notch as they could have been (the troubadour sounded a bit overdone to me, and the Prince was like a high-school play tryout, reading from a cold script), but the main characters, especially Shannon, were outstanding.

Crispin Freeman (VA for Shannon in Scrapped Princess) in anything = extreem win.
I have said before his voice makes me as a fangirl melt. Even as Alucard (Hellsing) which was so odd for me...
I would completely pay for a call from him on my birthday....
wonder if he would offer that service...
(some ( B ) actors do I hear...)

I have seen Slayers listed here as good and bad dub both, unless I mis-read, and I really liked the Slayer dub... (once again, Crispin Freeman was in most...)
pyrex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
arkady wrote:
Clodus wrote:
i also liked the scrapped princess dub especially the voice actor for shannon, he sounded very convincing.

Crispin Freeman (VA for Shannon in Scrapped Princess) in anything = extreem win.
I have said before his voice makes me as a fangirl melt. Even as Alucard (Hellsing) which was so odd for me...
I would completely pay for a call from him on my birthday....
wonder if he would offer that service...
(some ( B ) actors do I hear...)

I have seen Slayers listed here as good and bad dub both, unless I mis-read, and I really liked the Slayer dub... (once again, Crispin Freeman was in most...)

Agreed, I just finished watching the Scapped Princess a week ago, and I thought the VA of Shannon was by far my favorite in the series. It's kind of funny cause that was the first time I actually came to ANN to lookup who did his voice. For some strange reason he sounded alot like Roy Mustang from FMA and I thought it was the same person. But as it turns out Mustang was done by Travis Willingham. I didn't realize he also did Alcuards voice in Hellsing, he's defiantly a top notch VA.

Last edited by pyrex on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:

I agree. Crispin is my favorite male VA. I actually got to meet him at a convention in January (2007). He's a pretty nice guy and quite the comedian also. I laughed so hard quite a few times during his Q&A session.

Anyway, I completely agree that Bebop is the greatest dub. What did it for me was Steve Blum as Spike. Not only was his voice perfect, he absolutely nailed the role and completely made Spike his own. Not to mention the great performances from pretty much everyone in general. Melissa Charles as Ed especially. She made Ed so lovable.

I have to mention Fullmetal Alchemist here also. Like Bebop, it was absolutely stellar performances across the board, highlighted by Travis Willingham (I wish he'd do more voices) as Roy Mustang and Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric. Travis turned Roy into one of my favorite FMA characters and Vic became one of my favorite VAs as a result (I also met Vic at that same convention).

As for worst dub, hmm ....

I'd have to go with Disgaea. That dub was just awful. Not even Michele Ruff's excellent performance as Etna can save that thing they call the "English dub." I usually prefer dubs, even after watching fansubs, but Disgaea is one of the few exceptions. It was just so bland and I hated the casting for the most part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jade L.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the Scrapped Princess dub. I recently purchased the complete collection and watched the whole thing. Excellent work by all the VAs with the exception of Pacifica. Her voice made the character annoying. It sounded like it's the same VA who did Lavie from Last Exile, who also annoyed me to no end Evil or Very Mad

I'm in the middle of watching Spiral, the dub is tolerable except Kanone. Horrible horrible accent, so out of place and painful. It's probably the worst character voice over I've heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5