• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Headed to Ikkicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
ryuzaki11 wrote:
Do we really need to think about what the dude will do to the girl?

Do we really need to debate about how old some one is or how stupid one would be to go with a stranger?

What we need to do is be alert so we can find them. But to be realistic people disappear, die, put into terrible conditions, or exist in a living hell every time. Should we talk about them too? Feel bad for the torment the people of this world?

I don't know what to think now though, I hope for the best for everyone I guess.

Actually yes you should think of what may happen to her!

if you or any other teen takes the time to realize your not immortal and people can take advantage of you no matter how smart you think you are then maybe you or someone else wont be the next victim.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
C'mon abunai, Americans are obsessed with young women, sex, and the law. When something like this comes out, it's guaranteed to be a sh*t thread.

To the pro-adolescent freedom people: Make your own news network and cover something like this in a more positive or neutral light. Join, support, and fight with NYRA. Otherwise, forget about any legal reform.

i hate to break it to you, but the reason they have no rights is because kids are stupid. sorry but that's the truth. they make idiotic decisions, and can barely handle the little freedom they have already. this thread is proof enough by itself.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
Statutory rape laws are based on the concept that a young person may desire sex but may lack the experience possessed by legal adults to make a mature decision as to whether or not to have sexual contact with a particular person. Thus, the law assumes, even if he or she willingly engages in sexual intercourse with a legal adult, his or her sex partner may well have used tactics of manipulation or deceit against which the younger person has not yet developed sufficient discernment or defense.

Critics argue that a young teenager might possess enough social sense to make informed and mature decisions about sex, while some adults might never develop the ability to make mature choices about sex, as even many mentally healthy individuals remain naive and easily manipulated throughout their lives.

Another rationale comes from the fact that minors are generally economically, socially, and legally unequal to adults. By making it illegal for an adult to have sex with a minor, statutory rape laws aim to give the minor some protection against adults in a position of power over the youth.

OK, I want to make it clear to everyone that is not a quote of anything I said. Not sure what happened there CCSYueh but you managed to make it look like it was something I said where I didn't (I'm not sure who got quoted there) Confused .

Anyway, I'm not debating the girl is old enough to make decisions (I don't think she is), I just didn't think dragging up drivers license eligibility was a great addition to the argument (I thought you were saying she would have been OK if she had been old enough to drive but that seems to have been a misread on my part).

At this point I just hope they checked all of the conventions going on this week. I didn't realize when I started posting into the thread that these two had actually been awol since Monday. That would have given them time to make either the Missouri con or NYC if they had decided to do that. At this point it seems like they didn't go to Ikkicon but I still wouldn't rule out checking conventions until she's found because this really could be a common interest of both the girl and the guy and they just might show up at some con as part of there "road trip."
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
ryuzaki11 wrote:
Do we really need to debate about how old some one is or how stupid one would be to go with a stranger?

The whole "stranger danger" teachings have done some harm, as someone is statistically more likely to be abducted by someone they know than a complete stranger.

Reimer was a five-year friend of the family up until a couple weeks ago.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

OK, I want to make it clear to everyone that is not a quote of anything I said. Not sure what happened there CCSYueh but you managed to make it look like it was something I said where I didn't (I'm not sure who got quoted there) Confused .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_Rape

Too lazy to go to any penal code sites.
90% of that wasn't quotes from you. I usually make the effort to copy & past the name to the person I'm quoting if I break up the quotes.

MeggieMay wrote:

Anyway, I'm not debating the girl is old enough to make decisions (I don't think she is), I just didn't think dragging up drivers license eligibility was a great addition to the argument (I thought you were saying she would have been OK if she had been old enough to drive but that seems to have been a misread on my part).

No.
I'm a mom who has worked with other moms of teens. My teen has actually been fairly low on the teen idiocy level, but I have heard sooooooooooooooo many crazy teen stories (one gal I worked with's teen took to spraying most of a can of hairspray on her hair every night so her hair wouldn't tangle while she slept. Didn't think of braiding it or tying it up, etc. Same gal had to rush to the hospital because her teen son was jumping off a pier at night with his friends so they didn't see it was shallow water & rocks below. Hell, one of my fav Ozzy stories is the one he told once where his dad walked in on him about toi hang himself NOT because he wanted to die, but because he wanted to see what hanging felt like. That was also a craze when I was a teen-kids hanging themselves accidentally)

I seem to recall someone actually studied it & teens do lack something-a chemical or some brain connections-that adults have on assessing danger--that it's still forming in the teen years.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i hate to break it to you, but the reason they have no rights is because kids are stupid. sorry but that's the truth. they make idiotic decisions, and can barely handle the little freedom they have already. this thread is proof enough by itself.

So if kids have no rights, then why can't I beat-up and yell at the manga cows at the local Borders? If I do that, then thats assault!!

But in fairness, parents need to take a test before they even have a kid. I can't count the number of times i've seen parents allow their kids into near dangerous situations. And i've been yelled at too when I catch little precious trying to throw rocks at dogs, or spraying perfume into the air and going thru the cloud. Or even simpler stuff like holding a kid near a smoking area. I don't have kids, yet I manage to actually know whats right and wrong for kids.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Lothar wrote:
C'mon abunai, Americans are obsessed with young women, sex, and the law. When something like this comes out, it's guaranteed to be a sh*t thread.

To the pro-adolescent freedom people: Make your own news network and cover something like this in a more positive or neutral light. Join, support, and fight with NYRA. Otherwise, forget about any legal reform.

It's not stupidity. It's common sense. Teens do have rights. It's just that they don't have all the right of adults until they prove that they can handle the responsibilities of an adult.

But in her case, the problem may have been in communication between her and her family. This just illustrates that proper safeguards need to be in place and more talking to teens are in order. The New Berlin case showed that even fellow schoolmates can't be trusted. Teens do have to make decisions on their own. That is what maturing is all about. It doesn't help that they are in that stage where they trust their friends more than their family, think that nothing bad will happen to them and have new technology to play with.
kyoukix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The article would be otherwise called “portrait of a sexual deviant”.

The “guy” in that picture must be the most disgusting man I have seen in my life. A look-a-like of the “comic book guy” from the Simpsons, but fattest and uglier. Thank god America haves the electric chair and the lethal injection I hope that the least that pervert get is a death sentence.

By the way if I where the father of that teenager I would tell the police without doubt that they better find that hijacker BEFORE I DO.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
kyoukix wrote:

By the way if I where the father of that teenager I would tell the police without doubt that they better find that hijacker BEFORE I DO.

If the police can't find them, family won't be able to either. This prob won't turn out as a "successful recovery".

2006 Child Abduction Murder Study wrote:

In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

*bolded by me*

It's now 6 days. Hope the family has entered counseling.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2006 Child Abduction Murder Study wrote:

In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

your quote is already assuming death. its about homicides.

abduction does not have that high a percentage of deaths because the great majority of abductions are by family members usually in custody battles.

stranger abductions have a higher case of homicides but this may not even fit into an abduction since both parties knew each other there's the real possibility its both the guy and girl are simply hiding together.
I wont bet on any particular scenario because I don't know either people personally or their motivations.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I just checked the web site for the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children...she hasn't been found yet.
Lothar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Do you realize how flippant and ill-conceived that response sounds? It sounds as if you're stereotyping other posters on this thread. I'm willing to give you a chance to reword this, because I'm not sure if this is the point you were trying to make.
Prodigit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
any news on the 2 of them?
Still missing?
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
i doubt they went to Austin, TX........the media screwed that up, im sure they are heading to Cali
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
i doubt they went to Austin, TX........the media screwed that up, im sure they are heading to Cali

If they are then they aren't here yet, or else I would have seen the amber alert by now. Honestly speaking, they could be headed anywhere, with destination unknown and the reason for heading where they are headed, unknown.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9