• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for mature audience anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prophet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Hi all
I am looking for anime series or films for mature audience. I have already seen Berserk, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Kenshin, Ninja Scroll etc. I think that Berserk mostly identifies what I am looking for.
Does anybody have any recommendations in similar style?

Thanks
prophet
CliffSaos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Well... Try these:
Ninja Cadets => http://www.animetric.com/nop/nc.html
Wrath of the Ninja => http://www.animetric.com/wxyz/wrath.html
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi Prophet.

Considering what you seem to lean towards, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust might be a good next choice.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Ressurection. It doesn't follow the storyline of Ninja Scroll, but it is a very entertaining and short series. The animation is excellent and the music is by the Poland Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Most of the those are good, but you might want to try A.D. Police FIles. It is also of the mature genre, but I don't know if you can still get that one or not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Reign: the Conquerer is an amazing anime adaptation of Alexander the Great.. Although some people really don't care for it because it's by the same guy who did Aeon flux.

Another good mature anime would be Mirage of Blaze, it has a kind of complex story line, but the animation is amazing.

Hunter x Hunter is another really good series, although I don't think it's released yet... And the only way I've seen it, is through downloading the episodes. But I wont say where, cause I don't want to risk getting banned, AGAIN.

Samurai Champloo is still in the process of being created, so it's only available to download up until episode 17... You'd have to ask a more experienced member why, cause I'm not in the elitist cool group Anime smallmouth

I hope this helps you out... cheers
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:
Reign: the Conquerer is an amazing anime adaptation of Alexander the Great.. Although some people really don't care for it because it's by the same guy who did Aeon flux.

I have said this many times. Peter Chung is one of the most inventive character designers, directors and writers in animation, anime or not.

Since Reign is an acquired taste, I'd recommend renting it first (you should be able to find it at Blockbuster) to see if it appeals to you. It certainly peaked my interest.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Golgo13 wrote:
Ninja Ressurection. It doesn't follow the storyline of Ninja Scroll, but it is a very entertaining and short series.

uhh... I would highly disrecommend this show. Personally I think its awful and filled with nothing more than sensless violence. But hey, if that is what you are looking for (no good plot and crappy characters with alot of blood gashing out from various parts of the body) then watch it.

Quote:
and the music is by the Poland Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.

seriosuly?? I didn't know that.

Other mature anime shows... hmmm
try Monster. It is based on a great manga which I am a big fan of. Alot is happening there and the story takes place mostly in Germany so it is really something other than many mangas out there.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Golgo13 wrote:
Rozzer wrote:

I have said this many times. Peter Chung is one of the most inventive character designers, directors and writers in animation, anime or not.

Since Reign is an acquired taste, I'd recommend renting it first (you should be able to find it at Blockbuster) to see if it appeals to you. It certainly peaked my interest.

I agree. I am an unapologetic fan of Reign. But he is right, it would be a "try before you buy" series.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Quote:
and the music is by the Poland Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.

seriosuly?? I didn't know that.

Yeah, the Warsaw Philharmonic plays the music for a lot of anime. Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, and Gundam Wing are just a few titles that come off the top of my head. They really do a good job. Wink
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, the Warsaw Philharmonic plays the music for a lot of anime. Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, and Gundam Wing are just a few titles that come off the top of my head. They really do a good job.

I think I need to research more of that. Thanks for the info Tony K.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:46 am Reply with quote
By far the best Warsaw Philharmonic soundtrack you'll hear in any anime is the soundtrack for Giant Robo. Anyone who has heard music from this series knows what I am talking about.
prophet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys,
i will try to get my hands on some of these to have a look.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Here's a link to a thread a started last year on the exact same topic. (Great minds must think alike!!)

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2556&highlight=adult+mature

If the link doesn't work, just do a search for "adult, mature" and "Steve Berry" as the author (me). It was a very helpful thread for me. Truth be told though, IMO, this is something that is sort of uncommon in anime. Its demographic is largely late teens/early twenties. There are lots of great shows and movies that are meant to be for kids, and that appeal the kids in all of us (Ghibli, etc.), and they are great, but as for truly "mature" shows, I find they're rare. Berserk is the best of them, for me.

Still, I would second the Monster recommendation, although that isn't out on DVD yet, and has to be downloaded (a very... loaded topic on this forum). I would also second the Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust recommendation. Also, Millenium Actress is excellent-- more a thinking piece/emotional piece, as there is no real "action" in it. Jin Roh is dark and very interesting, but also "meditative" (i.e. slower paced). Princess Mononoke is probably the most violent and "adult" of the Ghibli movies, and it is pretty good. Wolfs Rain largely featuers adult characters, and has its share of action, and is also very dark and, at times, thought provoking (dark ending too).

I'm waiting for Planetes (hard sci-fi show) to come out on DVD also (recently liscened by Bandai, I think). Of course, there is always Bebop, which although it has its slapstick moments, basically features adult characters, who tend to act for mature. Oh, and Ghost in the Shell-- Stand Alone Complex is rather mature, and features a largely adult cast, and is filled with lots of shoot outs and chases, etc. Master Keaton also features an adult lead, and is very good, but with more of an everyman-Bond type of feel-- some action, but more sleuthing and clue finding and character interaction. Good though.

I was also unsure whether you were looking for shows that feature adult central characters, or whether you were mostly interested in "adult/more mature" themes. The first is a limited field. The second is quite large.

Check out the thread, it has a lot of suggestions. I'm just trying to cull the best from the crop. Hope the thread is helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2