• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuruyuri♪♪ (Season 2 & 3) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I suppose that is enough for the fan base here and elsewhere and no doubt that will mean commercial success but it certainly shouldn't earn any critical acclaim.

No it should not. That we are in agreement on.

Episode 2 wasn't quite as off-the-cuff as the crazy first episode, like Haruhi said above it was pretty much a return to the formula of the first season. That said, the whole spoiler[snake/cockroach fiasco] had be laughing quite a bit, as well as spoiler['Super Sexy Commando Kyouko' and Akarin completely failing at Old Maid].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
So we finally had an appearance of Akari's sister, was not a speaking role, but it had impact. I want more of her, for her to be a character.

Most of the episode was about Sakurako, who got a bit of attention as earlier. It had spoiler[her getting jealous over Himawari spending time with Chinatsu, which was showing that through all of the fighting she can't be without her.] My favourite bit was when she spoiler[was falling into her habits of being with Himawari while with Akari, including trying to touch the non existent boobs.]

I totally forgot things like Akari's carrying random things to help other people, and why Chitose was not allowed chocolate.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Valentine's day in Japan sure is a rip for the girls, isn't it?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Most of the episode was about Sakurako, who got a bit of attention as earlier. It had spoiler[her getting jealous over Himawari spending time with Chinatsu, which was showing that through all of the fighting she can't be without her.]
I actually felt most of the rest of the scenes were detrimental to the episode for that reason - they were funny, but really seemed to interrupt the flow of the main plot. The first scene with Kyouko and Yui especially felt like it was there simply to give the characters an appearance.
Quote:
So we finally had an appearance of Akari's sister, was not a speaking role, but it had impact. I want more of her, for her to be a character.
Easily my favorite scene of the episode.
Quote:
I totally forgot things like Akari's carrying random things to help other people, and why Chitose was not allowed chocolate.
Her response to Ayano telling her to eat it at home alone was hilarious. You'd think somebody would've told her why after the last incident(though I suppose Chizuru could've talked them out of it).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Valentine's day in Japan sure is a rip for the girls, isn't it?

Yeah, but you can't look at Japanese Valentine's Day without the context of White Day which really should be called Payback Day. It is kinda of interesting how they absorbed a Western tradition (and not a very old one at that) and put their own spin on it. And given the Japanese love of cosplaying, I'm surprised Hallowe'en didn't catch on more.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
- they were funny, but really seemed to interrupt the flow of the main plot.

Plot? There's a plot? Whar? Whars the plot? Hear that everyone there's a plot!

Blood- wrote:
It is kinda of interesting how they absorbed a Western tradition (and not a very old one at that

That does seem to be what Japanese do. All though history. Technology, writing, literature, ship building, cooking, industry and .. anime. They find something they like, import it, and somehow change it to make it uniquely Japanese.

We have had long threads here about what makes anime anime and I have never seen a satisfactory answer. All you can say for sure is it wouldn't (doesn't) happen anywhere except in Japan.

So I guess Valentines day is added to the list. As for Halloween you could say they do it year round.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4.

Another episode, another apparent ripoff of Lucky Star plus Nichijou. It's all cute enough, but not as good as either of those shows and not as original. The "yuri" content just doesn't cut it.

The enthusiasts don't seem very present, seeing how I have the last two posts in this thread. Yet I am assured YYS2 is bound to be a big hit because it just has to be.

The only thing that would save this an arc featuring the perverted big sister. That's at least something LS or Nichijou didn't do.

Still hoping...
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe the big fans of Yuru Yuri just aren't posting here? Everyone I know who's into anime is following it pretty religiously. Sakurako X Himawari makes every episode for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
I always thought Akari would grow up to be some sort of ninja assassin - her lack of presence would let her just waltz into even the most secure bunkers in the world. Good thing spoiler[Kyouko's realizing just how terrifying her friend could potentially be] before she ends up on the hit list.

Also, I find Ayano spoiler[using such a stereotypical tsundere line] and actually meaning it hilarious.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
I was close to crying from the spoiler[teacher's story, it was so uncharacteristically emotional for this series, and of course it turned out she was just fibbing, I had to wipe any tears I had accumulated. Her actual story of putting things in the socket shows how reckless she is.]

Look forward to next week promising more of Rise, which will likely have more of the teacher too, who I thought was the best in this episode.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Episode 4.

Another episode, another apparent ripoff of Lucky Star plus Nichijou.

Can I ask that if you're going to post stuff such as the above quote that you go into specifics about what exactly is a 'ripoff' of Lucky Star/Nichijou from the episode. Because just making a blanket statement like that without any detail is pretty dumb, and I'm sure you can agree with that as well. So I'm all for people calling out scenes that were blatantly taken from other shows and the like, but such a claim has to be provided with evidence or at the very least a description of what was 'ripped off'.

Episode 4 was enjoyable as per usual. Favorite moments include Ayano trying to divert Sakurako's attention from the pudding and Nishigaki-sensei's tale of Choco.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Great opportunity for a Galaxy Express reference, I love Kyouko taking advantage of bad situations for comedy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Wait, weren't we supposed to get some of the student council president, well she has an even harder time than Akari for presence. We did get to see Himawari's little sister back, who was spoiler[hilariously trying to make Sakurako feel better, and made her feel so much worse.]

We had a part of Yui dreaming of games; spoiler[Kyouko dicking around by hitting an enemy with the blunt end of a sword, Akari showing her special white mage power of disappearing, and of course Chinatsu being a black mage.] Got a laugh out of Kyouko showing up with spoiler[some waked out dog mask, reminds me of that time with Yozora and the horse mask.]

But the best bit has to be towards the end where Sakurako spoiler[put food into a sleeping Akari's hair so she was attacked by pigeons Laughing best because she at first sounded like she was worried for her safety.] Akari has such good friends.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
I'm generally finding this season funnier than the first. I was very lukewarm on the first season, but I actually actively look forward to each new eppie now.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
but I actually actively look forward to each new eppie now.

I seem to be going the opposite direction. I actually had to fast forward through the endless stuck-in-a-sweltering-train-station routine. It isn't much fun in real life, either.

Megiddo wanted me to justify why I thought YY was a ripoff of Nichijou. I don't really have time for a lengthy expose and if you don't see it on your own it really seems pointless anyway.

One example out of many are the twin-tail gags using Akarin's side hair balls and Mio's (Nichijou) twin tails with the wooden cubes. Also Chiyo's (Azumanga Diaoh) twin tails in how they detach and have a life of their own sometimes.

To be clear it is not fatal that YY imitates others -- almost all anime work is derivative after all. Yet what YY adds that is new is very very thin. I'm still watching because it occasionally hits a funny but that seems to be the exception.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10