Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Host Madhouse Founder Masao Maruyama [2012-07-12]




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6159
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Otakon getting an actual worthwhile guest? Well, color me surprised.

Shin Sasaki, on the other hand...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1913

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Otakon getting an actual worthwhile guest? Well, color me surprised.

Shin Sasaki, on the other hand...


You are surprised Otakon got Maruyama? He comes practically every year unless there is some conflict. He has a very good relationship with the Otakon staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6159
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I know, just let me have this. After all the subpar guests announced, I need something to hold onto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Echo_City



Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I know, just let me have this. After all the subpar guests announced, I need something to hold onto.


A kindred spirit. I was thinking that I was the only one who was wallowing in massive, soul-crushing disappointment with the Otakon guest list thus far for 2012.

I think that my fears of the guest list tanking with the absence of Bandai are coming true Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1913

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
I understand everyone likes different things. There is nothing you can do about that.

But I am not sure how anyone can say Otakon's guest list has declined. I've been going to Otakon since 2005 and this year they have probably the most Japanese guests.

They have 4 well known seiyuu (the most I've seen before is 2)
They have a writer who wrote 2 of the most popular series of 2011-2012
They have someone associated with Gundam
They have a mecha art designer

And they still have the Friday musical guest to announce.

So yeah frankly I am just not seeing the decline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6159
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
If you're not a fan of Madoka Magica, the guest list isn't very impressive.

Maruyama, at least, has countless titles under his belt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1913

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
What exactly do Aya Hirano, Tetsuya Kakihara, Yuuka Nanri, Shin Sasaki, & Hidetaka Tenjin have to do with Madoka?

And yes there is a big focus on Madoka this year. It's not my favorite series at all but I understand Otakon wanting to promote something that is as big as this series was (and in fact it is probably Aniplex USA bringing in the Madoka guests).

But even the Japanese Madoka guests: Ai Nonaka & Gen Urobuchi are not just involved with Madoka.

Perhaps if you go to some of these people's panels you might find they are more interesting than you give them credit for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Echo_City



Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If you're not a fan of Madoka Magica, the guest list isn't very impressive.

Maruyama, at least, has countless titles under his belt.


Too true. If an attendee felt that Fate/Zero and PMMM were overrated, they're pretty much SOL. Personally I'm in a bit of a bind as I thought that PMMM was alright, but I didn't care much for either dub, so I'm not wholly opposed to the show but I'm not much for the vocal guests it is bringing in. Frustratingly some of the US guests have few roles besides PMMM so there's no fandom crossover, and Aniplex was unable to complete having both the English and Japanese full main cast actors in attendance. That would have been interesting regardless.

Quote:

But I am not sure how anyone can say Otakon's guest list has declined. I've been going to Otakon since 2005 and this year they have probably the most Japanese guests.

So you evaluate the quality of Otakon's guest list based solely upon the sheer quantity of Japanese guests? That doesn't seem like a sound metric to me.

Quote:
They have someone associated with Gundam
They have a mecha art designer

Neither of these sound noteworthy, not in the least. Even though I'm not a Shinkai fan, this artist seems to fall short of his presence at Otakon 2011. This guest sadly does not have the renown of Shinkai, that's for certain.

They also had someone associated with Gundam last year: the executive producer of Sunrise Entertainment and Bandai Entertainment. Otakon went from the executive producer of the company that makes Gundam and the parent company of that company down to one guest linked to Gundam. That's a definite step backwards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1913

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

So you evaluate the quality of Otakon's guest list based solely upon the sheer quantity of Japanese guests? That doesn't seem like a sound metric to me.


I didn't just say because they have a lot of Japanese guests, they have a lot of well known Japanese guests. You personally might not be excited but that is definitely not the response I am seeing elsewhere. And it is rarer to see Japanese guests than American guests at cons. That being said I am sure they are not done announcing dub actors.

Quote:
Neither of these sound noteworthy, not in the least. Even though I'm not a Shinkai fan, this artist seems to fall short of his presence at Otakon 2011. This guest sadly does not have the renown of Shinkai, that's for certain.


I am not a fan of Shinkai either but yes I admit he was a great guest and I am sorry I was not able to go to Otakon last year. But just because they don't have a director of his caliber this year doesn't mean they don't have other great guests instead.

And I would argue that just because you are not big on Madoka & Fate Zero doesn't mean that Gen Urobuchi is not at least close to Shinkai's status in terms of his influence on the industry.

Quote:
They also had someone associated with Gundam last year: the executive producer of Sunrise Entertainment and Bandai Entertainment. Otakon went from the executive producer of the company that makes Gundam and the parent company of that company down to one guest linked to Gundam. That's a definite step backwards.


What are you talking about? They are not going to have the same type of guests every year. One year they might have a great director
or manga artist. The next year there might be more of a focus on
seiyuu on something else. And heck they are not even done announcing guests.

And this year they don't have the Sunrise producer but they have Maruyama.

The issue here is not that Otakon didn't bring in well known high profile guests. The issue is you personally do not like the guests they brought in and there is a big difference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group