• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
My anime comfort food is actually evangelion Confused That NANA, Sayonara Zetsubou sensei, Ouran and Haruhi.

Oh and in Gurren Lagann Kamina would have been the main character, Simon/ Yoko would be a couple (I always liked them together I don't know why), Nia wouldn't exist and spoiler[Kamina would be alive]
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I would change the ending to Digimon 02! I don't know if I should mention it though, it could be considered to be a spoiler, but plenty of people should have seen it considering it was out 8-9 years ago.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of this column was actually the random Jabberwocky reference. (Wonder how many other people caught that?)

As to the dubbing of OP and ED songs by Funimation, there was a period during the first half of this decade when Funimation released several series with great English dubs of OP and/or ED songs, among them Blue Gender's closer, Kiddy Grade's opener (and to a lesser extent closer), and both of Fruits Basket's themes. The KG opener "Future's Memory" done by Stephanie Nadolny I would definitely buy a download of were it ever made available.

An older non-Funi title that does an outstanding job of dubbing theme songs is Key The Metal Idol, which had both of its theme songs and all of its insert songs translated and dubbed, and done so well that the performance style and talent level is nearly identical to the originals. I had the Japanese OST for this series for a long time (until it got stolen recently Crying or Very sad ), but would love to find a version with the translated songs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
My anime comfort food is actually evangelion Confused

Mine, too. Wink Nothing provides me so much warmth and comfort as watching 14-year-olds get mentally scarred for life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My favorite part of this column was actually the random Jabberwocky reference. (Wonder how many other people caught that?)

Damn sparky, I forgot to mention it... Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...

even better, and LONG ago, my concert choir used this in state competition, heh... it was adapted by Dr. Rene Clausen. I never gave the poem much though until we had to sing it.

ETA... I am another that really saw Simon and Yoko together...spoiler[and actually DO. Based on what their later lives might be.]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
What would I change? End of Evangeleon. Just because it so desperately needs it. The same for Tenchi OVA 3.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
What would I change? shinji whining, shinji whining, SHINJI WHINING..

Typical internet tough guy.

The boy witnessed his mother's death, his father abandoned him, his father guilted him into controlling something that messes with his brain and makes him feel all the physical pain it does, he's constantly being manipulated, he was forced to cripple a friend, and the world's coming to an end.

I don't know what fans expect from Shinji Ikari, but considering all he's been through, he's probably the best held together character in the entire series. I mean, if my laptop mouse breaks I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Anyway, if I could change an anime, I'd completely strike Tenchi Muyo OVA 3 from the records and give Kajishima a chance to redeem himself. Or I might tidy up a few Lupin III specials that went on a bit too long (directors never seem to know when to stop a Lupin feature). Perhaps I would change the Death Note anime so that it adapted more of the scenes of Near's observations from the manga so it doesn't look like he's some psychic child. Or I would have made Gurren Lagann a lot shorter, since it's really just stretching thirteen episodes of story over twenty seven episodes of production.

Nah, I would just make the ending of The Big O a little more clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Mahoromatic could have been great with a different ending. Diehard fans are still petitioning GAINAX for a revision, a la End of Evangelion. Smile I wouldn't say that I would change the ending; the idea itself wasn't terrible. The jarring cut between the last two eps is what really ruined its potential classic status. Some earlier stuff could be compressed and make room for a smoother transition maybe, even one ep that covered either the timeline after the next-to-last episode, or just before the last ep. While the show literally told you in every episode that you were headed for a "not-happy" ending (though you never really bought it Wink), it never prepared your for what did happen--and I mean a surprise, not necessarily unhappy (avoiding spoilers).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It was all done in a studio, and none of it was real. What could be more clear than that? Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It was all done in a studio, and none of it was real. What could be more clear than that? Wink

I don't really think that was the case.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never felt any shame about calling Japanese animation "cartoons." After all, Japanese speakers use the word "anime" in reference to pretty much any animated material, including American stuff like Looney Tunes and The Simpsons.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
heh, Penguintruth... what I meant wasn't about the hardship suffered or anything. His reactions just seemed very single note to me. He whines in his internal dialogs, when I'd expect to see murderous rages, or something. It's so much more about how his reactions could be portayed, more than the single note the was seen. If you have ever talked or been around warzone kids who have endured so much, seen their PTSD dreams and their drawings and so forth, there is a lot more that could have been shown. I dunno how it is in the new movies, maybe Anno has changed that.

And? both of you'se and Mo... tell me specifics about Tenchi3. I liked it myself, but I'd love to hear what directions you would take it in, if only for the ooh, that woulda been cool moments. I hear a lot of people bag on 3, but never mentioned what grand things they would change. I had an interesting discussion once with someone who "hated all that mystical stuff" in T3... But I mentioned that Sasami worries about Tokimi taking Tenchi away in the first OVA, and it was like this person payed no attention to that part. But that's just an individual.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent - For one thing, I would have removed all the unnecessary, pointless, and spotlight stealing Mary Sues and pointless characters. No Noike, no Machisu, no Tennyo, or any of the others whose very existence contradicts and flow and plot points of the previous two OVAs. More focus on the main players. Washu realizing her godhood would have been an actual event. Tenchi and Z would have had a real battle. No Chibi Tokimi. No taking a dump all over Tenchi's mother. Y'know, consistency with the original OVAs.

Kajishima basically just crammed in a bunch of characters from his novels into a story which couldn't support their weight. It was garbage.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
I would change the ending to Digimon 02! I don't know if I should mention it though, it could be considered to be a spoiler, but plenty of people should have seen it considering it was out 8-9 years ago.

QFT
I really enjoyed Digimon 02, especially Ken's character, up until they started pulling that DNA-digivolving crap. It was at that moment that the series took a nosedive for me.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Penguintruth saves the day... yeah from the get-go my main beef with T3 is that they were trying to put 13eps worth into 7 and didn't cut out the right things... The whole subplot on Mihoshi's brother could have been 30 seconds long, with an extra few minutes to explain why Mihoshi is so damaged... but still with enough umph for the Chobi to force evolve Tenchi. I tend to edit the eps with my remote... I think it was just that there was too much time between OVA2 and 3, and too many ideas... and crucially, nobody to say "no". A LOT of directors really NEED that.

heh, so thanks for the ideas...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7