• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 3rd New TV Commercial Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if FUNimation hasn't nabbed the license for FMA 2 yet. It's pretty much a gimmie title for them, but the yellow tape across the Pacific always slows stuff down. Heck, FUNi doesn't even have the materials for Soul Eater yet, (asked @ NYCC) so I expect this one on the backburner for a little while.

Meh, I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. I'd rather see Bones continue more DTB or Soul Eater than reboot FMA. There's no real nostalgia (10+ years) factor like Slayers or Eva, so why do it? Are they running out of money or something? Do they feel the need to milk fans, shounen franchise style? Or is it just for pure fanservice's sake? Are they out of original ideas? (I pray not...) What's in it for them, and frankly, what's the point?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
What's in it for them, and frankly, what's the point?

I think it's the fact that everyone involved with the original show said they wanted to work on it again, because even if it's their job, they can still enjoy doing it, and they've said that they loved working on this series. And with the manga supposedly nearing an end, or so it's said, they can go back and fully adapt the original story, rather than having to improv it upon reaching the point of no return. And really, if they're not just rehashing, or making BS retcon, what difference does it make? If you're not interested, just wait your turn in line for more of your series of choice and let the rest of us be happy, rather than raining on our parade.

As for Soul Eater, give it a couple years, once the manga gets further along, and maybe it'll get a similar treatment. But, maybe you'll just complain about that too. *shrug*
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
EDIT: in the encyclopaedia there are 51 episodes in the info, is this a confirmed news?

--------------

I'm from Italy and I could care less if FUNimation will license this or not, to be honest. Razz

Actually, I just hope some good fansub group will take up this anime, there will be always time to buy the official releases, later (even if Italian anime dubs are crappy most of the time, so I don't think it'll be worth my money).

Meh, I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. I'd rather see Bones continue more DTB or Soul Eater than reboot FMA. There's no real nostalgia (10+ years) factor like Slayers or Eva, so why do it? Are they running out of money or something? Do they feel the need to milk fans, shounen franchise style? Or is it just for pure fanservice's sake? Are they out of original ideas? (I pray not...) What's in it for them, and frankly, what's the point?

Do you read the FMA manga? If not, then you cannot understand.
If yes and you're not excited about this new anime, well, you're plain crazy! Laughing

Wink

P.S. Since I'm interested in Soul Eater too, could someone tell me if the anime is faithful to the manga, has fillers or diverge at some point like the first FMA did? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Akemi17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
shezni wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Pretty much everyone would prefer for Funimation to bring back the previous cast, assuming they get it, right?

If they'd replace Vic Mignogna, I could at least tolerate the dub.

Otherwise, Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya are Edward and Alphonse Elric to me.

Well, in that respect, Funi has two options.

1) Recast Vic and make the majority of fans happy, which equals more potential moolah or
2) Cast someone else and invoke the rage of Risembool Rangers across the nation

I'd hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure the good ol' boys at Funi will go with option 1.

I have a feeling they'll recast Vic and and the others. I mean they did licence the FullMetal Alchemist OVAs and they are using the same cast as before.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
P.S. Since I'm interested in Soul Eater too, could someone tell me if the anime is faithful to the manga, has fillers or diverge at some point like the first FMA did? Thanks.

Soul Eater's been pulling FMA filler as well, though I'm not complaining. BONES all the way.

@teh*darkness: I'm not trying to be negative, but just a bit confused. Usually, manga/light novel adaptations/original series either get a continuation series (Slayers, Shakugan no Shana, The Familiar of Zero) or a movie retelling (Eva, Escaflowne, Gundam). It's just strange that a series reboot is taking place. I'd feel the same if Fruits Basket ever got rebooted. (Note: I don't include Hellsing because its re-adaptation took the form of OVAs, not a full-blown TV series)

How to explain it... To me, it's like going back and remaking a movie that won Best Picture/Film of the Year. Yeah, it should still be entertaining (since the general elements should stay relatively the same), but will it hold up to be a better telling/experience than the first showing? That's what it boils down to for me, at least. Only time will tell...
Electrastar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
prettypopcandy wrote:
yah I love vic, and i'm in the miniskirt army.

so of cour I must say, COME BACK my SEXXY MANTravis Willingham, you are the onlly Roy for me!!!!! Anime exclamation
I will follow for all time!
and wear TINY MINISKIRTS!!!!

buy yeah, I'm really eager to see a fresh new approach to an amazing stroy

I didn't enjoy the FMA dub at all... and I am an avid supporter of dubbed anime. Maybe it's because I saw it subbed before, but the FMA dub just sounds flat to me. Vic's voice sounds way too old for Edward, I mean, he's only 15 after all, if would have made more sense to cast a teenager in the role (or a kid like they did for Alphonse at the time) than a man who's probably in his 30's. As for Travis's performance as Roy...hum, no... It just didn't work for me. He doesn't have as much attitude as Toru Ôkawa and he just doesn't sound as ''cocky'' as Ôkawa does...Plus, Travis dubbs Guile in the new Street Fighter game, so that makes me like him even less, dunno why.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
look like there are going to license it after it done

where in the article does it say that? I don't see anything about Funi licensing it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
"C'mon, Funi, were waiting". "Funi needs to hurry and license this". Blah blah blah. Oh, brother. You people aren't waiting for sh*t but the fansubs to hit netz. Knock it off, please. Rolling Eyes

STFU.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
@teh*darkness: stuff...

Ah, ok. Well, honestly, as Sariachan said, it comes down to whether or not you know what happens in the manga post divergence point from the first anime. I'll admit the first anime was handled amazingly well, but once I saw where the manga went, I'd been hoping there was some way they could go back and adapt it more faithfully. Apparently, the Japanese studio felt the same way, and it's still popular enough with the same audience, rather than trying to target a new one, that they're going to do it. And it kinda requires a full tv series to do it, because there is so much material. Hellsing can get away with OVAs because there is what, only 10-11 volumes out in Japan? FMA is up to 21 and still going, meaning to even try to do it all, they'd need at least that many OVAs, covering one whole volume every episode. It's easier to do a tv series so they can pace themselves and wait for the manga to finish, if it comes to that. Hopefully, we don't end up with another studio ending with this one, or else it'd kinda make the whole point of rebooting it moot. x.x

Either way, though, if you've been keeping up with the commercials, it should be obvious that this is gonna be awesome, even if it only equals the first series, there'll be more story, so that gives it the edge to be greater. Smile
PhoenixTorque

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Yep. Oh, I was so happy when I found out about this. The manga fangirl cried out in glee. Nothing against the anime, but the manga's storyline is more interesting, and the characters are more intreging. The thing that really bugged me about the anime was spoiler[that at the end, the Elrics were still doing the same thing-looking for the stone/another way to get their bodies back.] There's just not as much character development in my opinion. Whereas, in chapter 84, spoiler[Ed refuses the stone from Hoenheim, because, "That thing is made out of human lives".] In the anime the two put staying together first, and sometimes it seems like they're putting staying together ahead of Amestris.

How to explain it... To me, it's like going back and remaking a movie that won Best Picture/Film of the Year. Yeah, it should still be entertaining (since the general elements should stay relatively the same), but will it hold up to be a better telling/experience than the first showing? That's what it boils down to for me, at least. Only time will tell...

Only time will tell. Let's hope BONES does another fantastic job, because I did actually like the first anime. If they keep up the good work, I will be one happy little fangirl. =)
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this. I rather don't care when Funi (or other) will license but if they do I will be considerably unhappy if they don't try a simul-cast or other 1-2 week wait so i can watch online.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
EDIT: in the encyclopaedia there are 51 episodes in the info, is this a confirmed news?

I hope not. There's a lot more than just fifty one episodes worth of story in the manga, even considering some of the drag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
^ I'm worried for the same reason... Sad

Sariachan wrote:

Soul Eater's been pulling FMA filler as well, though I'm not complaining. BONES all the way.

Wait, you're saying that, in your opinion, the anime version is better than the manga itself?
If this is true ok, but I would still be unsure about seeing only the anime or not, since I know people who liked the FMA anime series better than the manga, while for me it's the other way around...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
"C'mon, Funi, were waiting". "Funi needs to hurry and license this". Blah blah blah. Oh, brother. You people aren't waiting for sh*t but the fansubs to hit netz. Knock it off, please. Rolling Eyes

STFU.

same to u bro...
cnav

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

--------------

I'm from Italy and I could care less if FUNimation will license this or not, to be honest. Razz

Actually, I just hope some good fansub group will take up this anime, there will be always time to buy the official releases, later (even if Italian anime dubs are crappy most of the time, so I don't think it'll be worth my money).

If yes and you're not excited about this new anime, well, you're plain crazy! Laughing

Wink

the soul eater anime doesnt follow the manga...
i just hope those dirty sh++s funi dont pick this title up....i would take fansubs any day..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7