• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
A very interesting column and good read altogether this week.

I agree with Greenblatt, too. Very insightful.

And yeah, in regards to the Yu-Gi-Oh! guy, enjoy what you like. Simple as that.

And finally, the next big thing is going to come from Shonen Jump, just like all the others. And I will enjoy the hell out of it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Just want to chime in with everybody else and say what a great job you're doing. I like that you're not trying to be Zac...you each sparkle in your own special way. (Cheesey, but true!)

Oh, and I like your bunny comics too!

Break a leg!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
xia83 wrote:
What is Zac doing nowadays anyway?

I still work here. I just don't write Answerman anymore.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite pleased to see Mr. Greenblatt's response here. I've never heard of Chowder until last week, but I'm glad the animators and directors who are producing the stuff now, in America, not only follow columns like Hey Answerman!, but aren't afraid to take some time and let their opinions be known. It's nice to know that at least a few souls in the industry love to do what they do, and aren't simply trying to travel down the conventional path to Hollywood. You never know where or when the next Avatar will come.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I have a severe dislike for Chowder on the basis that I feel it replaced and took the slot of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I standby the opinion that show was pure gold, but alas, apparently everything must come to a end.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Lol @ VK being the next big thing. A shoujo series has never been a mainstream hit. Some, like Ranma or Maison Ikkoku, become big in the fandom, but the only shows to ever break into mainstream success are shounen action series or something more mature, like Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/Afro Samurai. Soul Eater could be the next big mainstream shounen series, but it'd have to find a channel and timeslot to air in that would draw it a sizable audience. Seeing as how CN is pretty much off-limits now, I don't see Sci-fi's Ani-Monday making SE a mainstream breakout series. But if enough fans participate in word of mouth, we may be able to get it out there more than leaving it to its own marketing.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I have a severe dislike for Chowder on the basis that I feel it replaced and took the slot of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I standby the opinion that show was pure gold, but alas, apparently everything must come to a end.

I'm with you, I love Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. It was one of the rare American Cartoon shows that I love to watch and can watch all the time. (along with Courage the Cowardly Dog)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a Flapjack fan, myself. I didn't expect to like it, then I watched it and laughed pretty hard. It's one of my favorite currently running American cartoons.

I think two of my favorite experiences in anime fandom were meeting Yoko Kanno and Monica Rial. Yoko Kanno I just said I was a big fan of her compositions and got a "Sanykuu" when I complimented her trademark folksy hat. Monica Rial I had a short conversation about how I enjoyed her as Hyatt in Excel Saga.

I have a lot of thoughts on the mecha genre, but I think it's worth noting that people are always calling "DOOM" about every genre, and then something comes along eventually and redefines it. I don't think mecha is overplayed so much as perhaps the big mecha franchises are. As much as I appreciate Gundam 00, for instance, it may be time to put Gundam away for a while. Unfortunately, Bandai would never do this to their cash cow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
animepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
well...i wouldn't say that the mecha genre is too played i just think they need to flesh it out alittle more and stop with all the overly chilched crap like the over dramticness (if that's even a word) and put more orginality in it.
sutff like TTCL and neon genies are good examples of solid mech animes. i think alot of mech animes can learn from those 2
excentricteacup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I too was really happy to see someone mention Liar Game. The manga is really compelling and is something I find very enjoyable. I am not sure I could see it becoming mainstream but it has this Death Note feel to it and would really show what a good and intelligent manga is like. Here is for hoping.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Yes! Although I would think it's fairly obvious that both sides of the ocean produce more than their share of junk so it's impossible to say either is better in any absolute sense.

As far as the Yu-Gi-Oh question, I find it to be a sad commentary on fandom that somebody feels like they need to ask permission to watch a show that many have such a low opinion of. Why should it matter if you like something that is unpopular or not good? Also, it really bugs me that even if a show is good or popular it seems to be the "cool" thing to knock it. Even if people genuinely like something, they seem to get caught up in finding flaws and not admitting how much they liked it. Obviously nothing is perfect, but it's fine to like something despite its flaws.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, does Greenblatt actually read ANN, or was it just emailed to him by a fan? Odd coincidence, I was just watching some episodes of Chowder. Personally, I like it more than Foster's, for the psychedelic visual style and all the great classic Tex Avery visual gags. Well, maybe season 2 is better.

To see it's derivative of Spongebob is like saying YuYu Hakasho is derivative of Dragonball. Which is to say, of course it is, but it's the same genre, and it still has tons of differences.

>Can't we invent some kind of new term for this stuff that is all-encompassing and sounds intelligent, like when comics people invented the term “Graphic Novel” and “Sequential Art”?

There already is a term like that, "animation."
PlasmaFire3000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i'll point to Reideen. it was your typical rehashed mecha series that comes out every 6 months. sometimes they are more buried amongst the fansubs, but they are always there.

Yes, I had the (mis)fortune of having to endure through this one--the Reideen 2007 remake, that is. Though, it was more on the desire to see something materialize plot-wise than anything. Kind of a shame, because it picked up a lot of worth around episode 19, then totally dropped it with a pretty bad Deus ex Machina-type ending. Specifically, that Reideen vs. Gadion (plus pilot vs. pilot) plotline had so much potential, but...eh. :/

On the completely-opposite spectrum, I found the Zone of the Enders anime to be fantastic, both the Idolo OVA and Dolores:i TV series. Great characters, where protagonists are made vulnerable, imperfect beings, but thoroughly likable (the main character's a 40-something space trucker), and tragic antagonists have their well-planned (or not-so-obvious) downfalls. Despite the initial shock of orbital frame Dolores having the mind of a 12-year old, I came to appreciate her characterization by series' end...a lot. There's a cliché theme on family-building and learning to love one another in unusual circumstances, but that never gets old if done right--which Z.O.E. executes almost perfectly.

Last edited by PlasmaFire3000 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Can't we invent some kind of new term for this stuff that is all-encompassing and sounds intelligent, like when comics people invented the term “Graphic Novel” and “Sequential Art”?

I agree.

I thought the all-encompassing term for cartoons of all types was "animation", and that gives a lot of leeway to what is classified under it, children or adult content. It's what you call the art form, and it's what it's called if you study it in school. There's nothing immature about the term animation since it's a process. It covers everything from stop motion animation to special effects. You're giving something not alive "life."

I'm pretty sure the term cartoon comes for newspaper funnies, so because of that you're automatically not going to take it seriously.

Animation is the professional term, just like sequential art is. I'm an art student, illustration major actually, and I can only recall every hearing the term sequential art when it is used in an educational setting, like with my classes/major. We don't call the classes "comic book class" or "graphic novel class", it's a sequential art class, focusing on the use of images in a sequence, and it's not JUST to do with comics.

I always thought of "graphic novel" as the term used to present a volume of comics, or a direct to novel comic, in book form to make it more accessible to those who would otherwise frown on the comic name. In my opinion it's all a marketing ploy to sell it to people who otherwise wouldn't consider comics reading material. Putting novel with it gives more value to it to some people in a literary sense.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Wow, does Greenblatt actually read ANN, or was it just emailed to him by a fan? Odd coincidence, I was just watching some episodes of Chowder. Personally, I like it more than Foster's, for the psychedelic visual style and all the great classic Tex Avery visual gags. Well, maybe season 2 is better.

To see it's derivative of Spongebob is like saying YuYu Hakasho is derivative of Dragonball. Which is to say, of course it is, but it's the same genre, and it still has tons of differences.

>Can't we invent some kind of new term for this stuff that is all-encompassing and sounds intelligent, like when comics people invented the term “Graphic Novel” and “Sequential Art”?

Greenblatt states that he reads the column

Grenblatt does bring up some interesting things, and from what I seen of Chowder it's actually pretty good, inventive, excellent use of patterns, and pretty original and while it is influenced by past cartoons thats the same with anime and how a ton of it is similar to other anime in its genre with the most obvious being the influence of Dragonball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6