• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Big Trouble in Little Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a good thing, too, as it's a show that's well worth watching in one sitting—if you have a whole day to spare.

Insert 引き籠もり joke.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
Obviously it's her opinion. That's how reviews work.

I'm pretty sure she was speaking in absolute terms. Or did I miss an "I think... I believe... In my opinion..." Saying it's implied is a cop-out.

I did agree with her other reviews whole-heartedly, for the record, lest I be interpreted as a single-minded hater.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

As for "Samurai 7"... I was so disappointed at the ending! I don't want to run into major spoilers, but they kept the final line of the movie (that this was the villager's victory) but in the final battle of the show the villagers did nothing!!

Funny, I seem to remember them building siege engines and what not.

They were also spoiler[firing cannons at the oncoming fortress,] so I really don't see where that person is coming from. But at least its not another "OMG! MY FAVORITEST CHARACTER(S) DIED! THIS ENDING SUX!!!" argument that I usually see for it Rolling Eyes

Anyways, good see Samurai 7 getting a good review, it indeed deserves it. And yeah, its dub is excellent!
I keep telling myself that I'll get back into NHK, but for some reason I just seem to keep lagging on it. I liked the 1st few episodes, and I hear virtually nothing but good things about the rest of it, but for some reason I just never continued it... me thinks me should...
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
zhir wrote:
Obviously it's her opinion. That's how reviews work.

I'm pretty sure she was speaking in absolute terms. Or did I miss an "I think... I believe... In my opinion..." Saying it's implied is a cop-out.

I did agree with her other reviews whole-heartedly, for the record, lest I be interpreted as a single-minded hater.

Once again, how reviews work. EVERYTHING in EVERY review is subjective. Putting IMO at the end of every sentence is a lot more trouble than simply assuming that people know that all reviews are that person's opinion.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Comedies ought to be funny. That's the point of a comedy. Shows that are bad, but try to cover it up by saying, "No, see, I'm joking-- get it?" are still bad.

That is true, but maybe the show might be interesting to me. Truly you do have a valid point, Kenchi isn't the greatest anime, but compared to shows like Kannon or Shuffle, you got to admit this is better.

I am not expecting a great show like Bleach or Dragon Ball, but maybe this might just be fun to watch. Since I have read some of the manga, I do a general idea of what the series is about though.

As for Samuari Seven, eventually I rent the entire series through Netflix. It's a well done series and I enjoyed it, but Ranma and some other series on the top of my list for now.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Then you're just not AWESOME enough to do it Razz
I remember clearly jamming NHK v.4 in the cashier's face. YES, I AM buying this with hard-earned money! Of course I got no response from the cashier while I was standing there... which left me disappointed.

I wouldn't want those being displayed on my DVD shelf, even if I didn't live with my parents (only 16).
I wouldn't exactly call them gorgeous, either. Laughing
I know it's kind of related to the series and the main character, but I'd rather have something I'd like to look at.
Dahling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
xD It's kinda nice that I'm not the only one who thought that Kenichi's review was a bit harsh. Admittedly I enjoy semi-typical shounen stuff, if only because it allows the characters to shine through nicely. =) The instructors are all hilarious and throughout the series even Miu and Kenichi I grew to like.

Of course I don't think everyone should rush off an buy it, but it's a damn fun rental at least. =D

And yeah... The fanservice was over the top, but I do have to give them credit for making only Miu and Shigure the ones with the over-the-top boobs, and I loved how they poked fun at it during the show too. =DD
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
At the very least, Kenchi doesn't say "belive it" every episode, unlike Naruto.

Might be a valid argument, if "Believe it" hadn't been virtually unheard since episode 25. Confused

No way, he was still saying it all the time in the last shippuden episode I've seen Twisted Evil
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and an old guy who looks like Lo Pan.

Obscure Big Trouble in Little China references for the win!
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice one on the reference call michizure.

Come on zhir, everything isn't subjective or relative in life- there are absolutes. We all know bamboo is making opinions- but we take into account that we consider bamboo an authority on the subject- and thus having a more correct view of the topic/show. If we didn't give credence to the reviewers authority then why are we reading the reviews anyway- we could all just ask our friends what they think of a show and give equal weight to all opinions! There would be no need for any experts! Thus we consider bamboo's 'opinions' to be more correct than the average Joe's.

BTW I keep referring to bamboo as bamboo because I dont know whether it's a he/she. Sorry bamboo!
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Avarice.

Bamboo is held to a different (higher) standard with her opinions than I am.
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice one ranma! Glad to hear you tell others not to feel embarrassed about buying anime. It's too bad anime isn't more mainstream in america, because I bet there are many people out there who feel shy about buying anything with anime on it.

I need to move to Japan already...
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Avarice_WP wrote:
Nice one on the reference call michizure.

Come on zhir, everything isn't subjective or relative in life- there are absolutes. We all know bamboo is making opinions- but we take into account that we consider bamboo an authority on the subject- and thus having a more correct view of the topic/show. If we didn't give credence to the reviewers authority then why are we reading the reviews anyway- we could all just ask our friends what they think of a show and give equal weight to all opinions! There would be no need for any experts! Thus we consider bamboo's 'opinions' to be more correct than the average Joe's.

BTW I keep referring to bamboo as bamboo because I don't know whether it's a he/she. Sorry bamboo!

1: I don't believe that there are absolutes, but my Nihilism isn't really the topic of discussion, so let's move on.

2: You pick a reviewer you generally agree with and go with them. Bamboo pretty much universally hates harem shows, so if I loved them I wouldn't give much thought to her reviews of them.

She doesn't hate shonen but she isn't really a huge fan either. Therefore, if you are, read the reviews of someone who is.

3: If your friends like everything you like, and dislike everything you dislike, then by all means give equal weight to their opinions. If not, trust people with similar taste, friend or reviewer.

4: As I said, "correct" is subjective. If you expect her to just go with the majority opinion of everything, then yeah, just survey your friends.

5: She is a she. I referred to her as her in my previous posts. (Edit: She's also a part of Chicks on Anime)

Last edited by zhir on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 am; edited 2 times in total
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
It's nice to see N.H.K get a new release....and new covers as well.
I know I'm not the only one that would've been a little red in the face if I went to the store counter with the others.

Personally I liked the covers. For me, they were somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek funny. Something I'd shake my head at and laugh on the inside. If I wasn't so cheap (and didn't want to conserve shelf space), I'd consider buying the singles over the boxsets.
In other topics, I intend on picking up the Samurai 7 blue-ray once I 1). get a blue-ray player (probably a PS3...if Sony makes new units with full BC) and 2). Get enough money to do both of the previous. My library had the viridian collection, and I fell in love with the serious rather quickly. It's been a while since I've finished a 26 episode series in about 3 days...granted having school off helped.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I already own Samurai 7 but might upgrade it to Blu-Ray someday.

Granted a far more contentious debate, but Bamboo, could you or anybody else with both copies make any comments on the upgrade value ... at least whether the default amount of drool over HD-quality makes it worth going for? Naturally all while pretending not to notice the Blu-set is roughly as cheap (surprisingly not a full 50% off like the rest of FUNI's BDs on Amazon) as the original DVD releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4