• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zeta Ships... With Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="halo"]
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
Maybe they could provide a extra DVD with the original OP/ED music (textless animation preferably) for those who want it.

That would be lovely, if they could get the rights to the music, and maybe apologize for not telling people in advance.

Not going to cancel my order, just mad.
ultrabot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone here gotten their set yet? I've heard a few people are misssing some of the pencil sharpeners or the poster, and in one case someone got two copies of disc 8 and no disc 7.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's not going to revitalize Gundam in the US

Probably not intially, but some classic material takes time to receive the respect it deserves.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Something similar happened to the upcoming 3rd season dvd of Married with Children. Columbia Tristar was unable to get the rights to the song "Love and the Marriage" because the owner wanted too much. But in this case, the package is going to say that there's a new theme song.

I don't get why Bandai couldn't say something about this ahead of time. I'd still like to buy the Zeta Gundam boxset, but it won't be the same without hearing "Sign of Zeta" at the beginning.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:18 am Reply with quote
ultrabot wrote:
in one case someone got two copies of disc 8 and no disc 7.

That happened to someone I know.

I've recieved my set. It's fine. And I was buzzing all day, I was so happy. I have waited a very long time.

I'm not so torn up about the opening and closing songs being excluded, though it would have been nice if they told the fans about it first.

It won't effect my decision to purchase other Bandai Entertainment products, though. Many of the people at AnimeOneStop's boards have gone over the edge because of this. It's pathetic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:59 am Reply with quote
Like others have said, it's not a matter of the openings and endings being a big deal-I would have probably skipped past the intro anyway, since the song annoys me so much, ("beyond the hard times from now!") but the point is that Bandai has done this before with Gundam and it's starting to get annoying. You don't reveal this kind of information AFTER your customers have shelled out more than a hundred bucks for the set. It's just dishonest, and it hurts customer trust. I mean, I remember when Bandai was releasing Gundam 0079 and the first two discs had the original intro and closing on them, but then they switched them with a new, slapped-together intro and a closing that consists of a HUGE SPOILER FROM ONE OF THE LAST EPISODES. Unbelivable.

Next thing you know we'll all be getting Turn A box sets with a little note inside that says "due to liscencing issues, your Turn A Gundam box set only contains episode nineteen. All the other episodes have been replaced with the Very Best of Power Rangers! Enjoy! (no refunds)" Wink
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
actually the music right belong to the record company, and not the composer. sometimes even people who made the music have to pay the record company to use it. in this case it is StarChild Records. your beef should be with them
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Really, folks how many of you wanted to listen to Gundam themes from the 80's. I still cringe when I hear the songs from the original Gundam.
halo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Me for one. The real loss is the end theme. I love the missmatch between the content of the series and the incredibly happy, upbeat "Hoshizora no Believe."

I just wonder when Bandai will make some sort of official comment on this?
Onv

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that upset with the changes. I got my Zeta set yesterday and I could care less about the OP and ED.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At least it's not as bad Hayden Christensen's face interimposed on Anakin in Jedi...

It wasn't. He was shot as his own element and then placed over Sebastian Shaw.

Quote:
I'm not that upset with the changes. I got my Zeta set yesterday and I could care less about the OP and ED.

That's because you don't believe in the sign of Zeta, and we're in the hard times from now Smile
BOZZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Just curious... Someone was mentioning something about 0079 and its lack of a Japanese audio track... I was always under the impression that there was no release of the Japanese audio because Bandai did not want to release a DVD for the Japanese market or something to that effect...
halo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, the original audio track has degraded from age beyond the point they can use it anymore. Like the original movie trilogy, they would have to rerecord the dialogue and since You Inoue, the voice actress for Sayla Mass, has since pased away that's probably not going to happen. The series was never released on DVD in Japan and more than likely will never be.

Bandai was upfront about that and fans understood and considered themselves lucky. We understand that they couldn't get the rights to the Zeta themes. What we don't understand is why we had to find out on message boards from people who got their sets early.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
While the music itself most likely belongs to Bandai (which is why they can use it on the Japanese DVDs, in the Japanese videogames as mentioned earlier, etc.), Sedaka receives royalties for it. Releasing the song in the US most likely meant having to pay him more royalties, and Bandai apparently didn't feel like ponying up. I can't say whether that's because it was just an outlandish, exorbitant sum, or if Bandai simply thought they would make more money by selling the DVDs without telling anyone about the change than they would if they paid a little extra for the music, but the cynic in me wants to guess that it was probably the latter.

I believe this is true too. The DVD menus uses the "Gin Iro Dress" song which was not written by Sedaka in the background. The video transfer is far superior to the LD and VHS releases (never bought the Y80,000 R2 DVDs) but the audio transfer (besides the "new" OP/ED theme) is just as mono. Did they remix the R2's in stereo? One of the nicest things is the individual covers which are the R2 releases (10 out of 13 of them) drawn by the best mecha artists. Did anyone else notice the ED animation is different from the original Zeta ED? The background is much lighter (starts with some galaxy in the BG) and Fa is a pinker outfit. I think her shoes might be a different color. I don't have a photographic memory, I'm just going off of memory of something I've seen hundreds of times, so correct me if I'm wrong.
-Randall
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quote
0079 was not out on DVD in Japan. That's why they couldn't release the subbed episodes, and only the movies which had been out a good year at the time. I believe they have to wait 12 months from whenever Sunrise decides to do it (which if it's anything like the LDs, could be 20 years Smile )

As far as the OP/ED, it's got to be music royalties.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4