• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Head: No Plans for 2009 Gundam TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
newborntoanime wrote:
Does this mean that the 2nd season of Gundam 00 won't be dubbed? Please say no! Sad

That really has little to do with this. There's no reason why Bandai Entertaiment wouldn't dub it for R1. This is just about Sunrise not planning to do any other big Gundam TV series projects for the anniversary.

Considering the quality of the dub, though, I wouldn't be too disappointed if Bandai dropped it. Brad Swaile is just phoning it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I am honestly a little disappointed but not completely. I wasn't really interested in another UC show that was after the original but before Zeta and ZZ. And I believe a small break will only allow them to make a better show when they do release another one down the road.

newborntoanime wrote:
Does this mean that the 2nd season of Gundam 00 won't be dubbed? Please say no! Sad

Of course it will be dubbed. Especially if you buy the DVDs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Am I weird that I want more Planetes-esque shows, but not even going that far? I want something like the daily life in a space colony.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
I hate to break it to you but the rumored 00 movie has a better chance than a SEED movie at this point regardless of popularity.

Well, it's not like they're mutually exclusive. We could very well get both. They definitely want to make a Gundam Seed movie, but, as I understand it, things have been going nowhere due to the director's poor health. As such, there is, unfortunately, a definite possibility that we'll never see a Gundam Seed film.

Whether we get a Gundam 00 film is a completely separate issue, but I expect that we have a good chance of getting one - and probably within the next year or so - especially if the ending of Gundam 00 is particularly open-ended or cliffhanger-like. Most gundam series have had some sort of continuation, so it's almost a guarantee that we'll at least get something related to Gundam 00 at some point.

So, yes, at this point, it is more likely that we get a Gundam 00 movie than Gundam Seed movie, but we might get both, and I certainly hope that we do (though I find it somewhat funny that an unannounced movie seems more likely to happen than an announced one...).
rstyeast73

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they (i.e. Sunrise, Bandai) are not going to do anything big to celebrate the 30th anniversary of one of the most important shows in anime history. I am depressed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
rstyeast73 wrote:
I can't believe they (i.e. Sunrise, Bandai) are not going to do anything big to celebrate the 30th anniversary of one of the most important shows in anime history. I am depressed.

0081. Game, manga, OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
rstyeast73 wrote:

0081. Game, manga, OVA.
And no fansub and scanslation groups are covering any of them. Looks like the real "disappointment" are the "fandom" themselves.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
rstyeast73 wrote:
Would you lend us our crystal ball then? Just because Sunrise didn't announce their 30th Anniversary project the very second after episode 25 aired, doesn't mean they're not going to announce it at all.
Quote:
And no fansub and scanslation groups are covering any of them. Looks like the real "disappointment" are the "fandom" themselves.
Again, it's difficult to sub a yet-nonexistant work.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
rstyeast73 wrote:

0081. Game, manga, OVA.

Sorry a Japanese company is aiming the anniversary of a Japanese franchise of Japanese cartoons at Japanese people.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
rstyeast73 wrote:
Would you lend us our crystal ball then? Just because Sunrise didn't announce their 30th Anniversary project the very second after episode 25 aired, doesn't mean they're not going to announce it at all.
Quote:
Again, it's difficult to sub a yet-nonexistant work.
Think again, the Gundam anime TV series are owned by Sunrise Studio, the production company, but the whole Gundam Franchise, along with Sunrise Studio, is licensed/owned by Bandai Entertainment. That means Sunrise Studio can't do anything new that's Gundam related, not without Bandai Entertainment's executive decision. While at the same time, Bandai Entertainment as a corporate publisher, are doing other new Gundam related projects not using Sunrise Studio. But the fansub and scanslation fandom being the disappointment as they are, can't even seem to realize that due to their ignorant and shallow mindset on the anime industry. They can't even tell that Sunrise Studio had been deliberately sat up by Bandai Entertainment to take the bulk of the financial failure that's the Gundam anime TV series licensed DVD sales, by making Sunrise Studio the copyright holder of the animated TV advertisement that was the Gundam anime TV series.
penguintruth wrote:
Sorry a Japanese company is aiming the anniversary of a Japanese franchise of Japanese cartoons at Japanese people.
I was only being cynical toward the international fansub and scanslation fandom. I'm well aware of my stand on the anime subcultural fandom as is, since I've long since gone cold-turkey on internet anime piracy.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Think again, the Gundam anime TV series are owned by Sunrise Studio, the production company, but the whole Gundam Franchise, along with Sunrise Studio, is licensed/owned by Bandai Entertainment. That means Sunrise Studio can't do anything new that's Gundam related, not without Bandai Entertainment's executive decision. While at the same time, Bandai Entertainment as a corporate publisher, are doing other new Gundam related projects not using Sunrise Studio. But the fansub and scanslation fandom being the disappointment as they are, can't even seem to realize that due to their ignorant and shallow mindset on the anime industry. They can't even tell that Sunrise Studio had been deliberately sat up by Bandai Entertainment to take the bulk of the financial failure that's the Gundam anime TV series licensed DVD sales, by making Sunrise Studio the copyright holder of the animated TV advertisement that was the Gundam anime TV series.
What.
That's one of the crazier conspiracy theories I've heard. Ignoring that almost every gundam franchise except for the console games (due to technical difficulties), the word-heavy sourcebooks and novels (though there have been a few spot-translations), and drama CDs (such as Gaia Gear), have been translated, what is exactly disappointing? Subs for 00 were timely, every series is subbed in full (especially those that Bandai have no intention of ever licensing, such as Turn A or Victory), and the majority of the manga have been scanlated or are available in print.
And I have no idea what rightsholding has to do with series announcement. Bandai hold distribution rights, Sunrise hold the creative rights. Big whoop. Still makes no difference that there has simple yet to be an announcement on any 30th anniversary animation, rather than concrete denial that there will be one, especially in light that the announcement was slated to occur after 00 finished airing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Or not as the case may be. They are well aware of this titles popularity in the world. To just make it for Japan only, itself in a re-deepening ressession, would be a bit daft on their part, so I'm guessing it a non-starter for us all, though another short OVA, or movie, is not mentioned as "no plans". Watch this space, me thinks. Wink
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
And I have no idea what rightsholding has to do with series announcement.
So why are you even pretending like you've got something important to say except:
edzieba wrote:
Bandai hold distribution rights, Sunrise hold the creative rights. Big whoop.
Which is not true and you know it, because you have no idea about how copyrights nor licensing work.
Mohawk52 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Or not as the case may be. They are well aware of this titles popularity in the world.
Only the intellectual properties of the Gundam franchise, and Bandai definitely know who's responsible for it
Mohawk52 wrote:
To just make it for Japan only, itself in a re-deepening ressession, would be a bit daft on their part,
Not when the international anime market is already saturated before they can license an official release of the anime.
Mohawk52 wrote:
so I'm guessing it a non-starter for us all, though another short OVA, or movie, is not mentioned as "no plans".
When Gnudam anime TV series just aren't making enough advertisement revenues on TV networks, the only way for Bandai Entertainment to insist upon making anime in any other format, is order Sunrise to pay for the bills as they once again had to be the sole copyright holder.
Mohawk52 wrote:
Watch this space, me thinks. Wink
I can't hardly wait, really.
Reinhard Von Lohengram

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see a new Universal Century series (although, I guess thats redundant, since every Gundam series, past present and future is part of the same, big continuity, according to Turn A, which is an idea I like, actually) I think an adaptation of some of the post- Char's Counterattack stories would be pretty interesting, or some of the post F91 stories. Anything after Victory Gundam, I'm not too sure.

Still waiting for an OVA adaptation of the Gundam X side-story manga, myself.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
edzieba wrote:
And I have no idea what rightsholding has to do with series announcement.
So why are you even pretending like you've got something important to say except:
edzieba wrote:
Bandai hold distribution rights, Sunrise hold the creative rights. Big whoop.
Which is not true and you know it, because you have no idea about how copyrights nor licensing work.
Sorry, sarcasm doesn't transfer well over the internet, so I'll have to be blunt: Are you extending a long-running joke of which I am not aware, or do you seriously not merely have the wrong end of the stick in regards to how franchise and trademark licensing works (and the history of the ownership of the Gundam franchise is hardly difficult to look up), but are so far past wrong that you are in an entirely different forest?

And to make the entire matter moot, my initial point had nothing whatsoever to do with the licensing status of the franchise, simply that there has yet to be a definitive "30th Anniversary Project" announcement. Given that the prior marketing specifically stated that such a project wuold be revealed SUBSEQUENT to the end of 00's S2 run, and that as the 00 movie had none of the requisite "30th Anniversary" trappings, it is quite clear that it was not the aforementioned announcement. Neither was the 0081 game, or the 1:1 scale exhibit, as both were unveiled prior to the end of the series run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4