• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Underpants for Sale in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
What, no love for female fans?

Maybe they prefer their female fans to do without. Laughing
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Ahahaha, I thought this was going to be something perverted, but it's actually pretty funny/cool. Hahah...
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I was actually wondering how the Evangelion franchise would be milked next. Now I know.
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Who would buy such a thing?

Me probably if they're a decent price Laughing Razz
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I can only laugh at this type of merchandising. The next thing you know Eva bras WILL come out Laughing
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
At least they aren't whitie-tighties Shocked
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I can only laugh at this type of merchandising. The next thing you know Eva bras WILL come out Laughing

I doubt it... Evangelion is originally and always will be for males because of, 1.) mecha, 2.)loli (i.e Asuka, Rei), and alot of the males in Japan that watch evangelion are either otakus or hikimori's or neets, so females in Japan aren't really into those types of guys plain and simple! so its obvious that they would market to it males! Oh, and with most of the anime market in Japan, its usually (if not all the time) targeted towards males ...so i doubt it will ever get the female treatment... simply because females aren't into anime as much as males are in Japan.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
I doubt it... Evangelion is originally and always will be for males because of 2.)loli (i.e Asuka, Rei)...

And here we have the anime fandom apocalypse. When female teenage characters that look like teenage characters get described as lolis, you know the downward spiral of labelling everything as GAR, moe or loli has gone too far. Way, way too far.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I love you, GAINAX. Never change.

And for those wondering where the equal-opportunity merchandise is, I'll remind you of those lovely Evangelion wedding dresses from a while back.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
I doubt it... Evangelion is originally and always will be for males because of 2.)loli (i.e Asuka, Rei)...

And here we have the anime fandom apocalypse. When female teenage characters that look like teenage characters get described as lolis, you know the downward spiral of labelling everything as GAR, moe or loli has gone too far. Way, way too far.

No it hasen't! Moe is extreamly popular in Japan, and besides Evangelion has some of the most earliest moe scenes in anime history! Moe has been around for a long time, its not like its a new thing... hell even some people in Japan say moe to say something is cute, and including the regular people that don't watch anime!
RamenPoodle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Best headline all year. Very Happy
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Slightly more clever than I thought, but still... sometimes I wonder why no other series with actual artistic merit has to suffer this kind of absurd over-merchandising. I mean, come on. Did they make Akira undies? Did they make Blade Runner undies? Did they make friggin' Donnie Darko undies???
Call me a fanboy, but while I find this amusing, I'm also kinda depressed that it seems sometimes like Hideaki Anno and Takashi Murakami are the only two people in Japan who take Evangelion seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
Soon, somewhere in Japan, an otaku will face a dilemma: put off his 'first time', or risk embrassment and pray she doesn't change her mind when she sees his 'I mustn't run away!' boxer shorts. (Be careful when you wear those! Laughing )

if you don't watch anime, you don't know what those logo are.
It looks normal compare to some other boxers.

Aww, my joke fell flat. Crying or Very sad

It's not the logo, it's the phrase- I can't imagine my boyfriend taking off his pants and revealing undies with "I musn't run away!" written all over them. I'd die laughing.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

It's not the logo, it's the phrase- I can't imagine my boyfriend taking off his pants and revealing undies with "I musn't run away!" written all over them. I'd die laughing.

It's better to laugh at the underpants than what's inside the underpants. Laughing
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
Soon, somewhere in Japan, an otaku will face a dilemma: put off his 'first time', or risk embrassment and pray she doesn't change her mind when she sees his 'I mustn't run away!' boxer shorts. (Be careful when you wear those! Laughing )

if you don't watch anime, you don't know what those logo are.
It looks normal compare to some other boxers.

Aww, my joke fell flat. Crying or Very sad

Well the actual translation of the phrase from Japanese is really: NO ESCAPE
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4