• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Just my 2 cents but I'd leave it the way it is with a tie. Yes the purpose was to find out who the most Heroic of them all truly was. The thing is we found out apparently that the final contenders were EQUALLY heroic and neither one could edge out the other. If that's how the cookie crumbles so be it. Extending it now would only feel dishonest in a way. Besides, one's a guy and one's a girl so they're both technically the most heropic of their gender at the end of the tournament. That's close enough to a single winner for me.

1) Is there anything you would like to see changed about the way the tournaments are organized and run?
I liked having the seeds hidden so keep that up. I think this one ran smoother overall then the last 2 tournaments. Less hiccups for various reasons. I on one hand would like to see manga characters included but again doing video clips is just a problem there. Plus this is in the anime section so it should be primarily anime based. My suggestion, to sort of have the best of both worlds, is that during the next tournament we allow characters to be supported by both the anime and manga. What I mean by that is we would have to support our choices primarily by the anime series but we could also use the manga as support. There have been several cases in previous tournaments where characters did not move on as far as they might have because the votes were based SOLELY on the anime series. Being able to cite examples for support from the anime first, and then the manga as a secondary source, would give more of an even playing field for many characters. This way it stays anime based but people can still cite the manga for examples of support for the character. Make sense?

2) Did/will the discussions and/or video clips inspire you to watch any title you have not already scene?
Not really per se. Granted I missed basically half the tournament but all the characters/shows I want to check out I already have or have on my Netflix queue already. Though I do feel the need to re-watch Princess TuTu now....

3) This tournament started being organized in late February, with a participation requirement being that at least one full season (or the entire series run, if shorter) had to have been available, so series that started anew in the winter season were not eligible. Is there any character from the winter or spring seasons you feel deserved to be included, or any character from an older source you feel got overlooked?
None that I can think off of the top of my head.

4) Given things you have learned about characters since the start of the tournament, is there any early voting choice you would do differently were the tournament to be rerun?
Not at all. I always consider my votes carefully and once I make up my mind I very seldom change it. The only time being when I'm on the fence about who to pick, but in those situations I'm just as happy with whichever character that moves on.

My only regret is that thanks to working 6 days a week, moving into a new house, and being on vacation for 2 weeks I missed quite a bit of the tournament. I hope that does not happen again in the next one. Hell I don't even have any sort of clue how I did in the mini game. Though I think I kind of sucked and this was my worst outing in a mini game yet. Oh well.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
1. No changes needed.

2. I'm currently seeking out Story of Saiunkoku and Moribito since seeing Balsa and Shuurei in this tournament, as well as downloading Rose of Versailles with Lady Oscar's involvement.

3. I would have thought about nominating Akira Takezawa from Eden of the East.

4. I need to learn not to overestimate certain characters for future tournaments. Picking Naruto and Mustang as two of my semi-final picks really screwed up my bracket this tourney. But I can also account my lack of familiarity with some competitors as a factor for the problems that riddled my voting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
As for changes, I think these tourneys need to be sped up. Maybe do 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D then 2A and 2B, 2C and 2D, 3A and 3B, 3C and 3D, 4A and 4B, 4C and 4D, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Finals. That makes it 13 weeks (which could then be lined up with the Japanese TV schedule) instead of 20.

I have also considered something like this, though perhaps not so extreme. Currently, the standard is to start combining rounds once we'd be down to a single match-up on a week, which happens in Round 5. If we bumped that up to combining once we'd have only two match-ups per week then the combos would start in Round 4 instead, with a 4A/B, 4C/D, and 5(all) results. That would cut out three weeks from the normal run of 20.

Mind you, I don't think this change needs to be done, but it may be a possibility worth considering.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
I need to learn not to overestimate certain characters for future tournaments. Picking Naruto and Mustang as two of my semi-final picks really screwed up my bracket this tourney. But I can also account my lack of familiarity with some competitors as a factor for the problems that riddled my voting.

The trick I've discovered - and the reason why I think I did so much better this time - is to choose the candidates you think would be voted to win each match, not the ones you feel should win. My one big mistake this time was grossly overestimating Kenshin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Ggultra2764 wrote:
I need to learn not to overestimate certain characters for future tournaments. Picking Naruto and Mustang as two of my semi-final picks really screwed up my bracket this tourney. But I can also account my lack of familiarity with some competitors as a factor for the problems that riddled my voting.

The trick I've discovered - and the reason why I think I did so much better this time - is to choose the candidates you think would be voted to win each match, not the ones you feel should win. My one big mistake this time was grossly overestimating Kenshin.

Ironic, because with one minor exception, I didn't do that. In fact, the only time I deliberately put someone I thought would be voted for over someone I thought deserved to win was then I picked Franz over Tochiro. Which was in round 1.

But there were still several cases where I voted against my bracket. In some cases, I couldn't even remember why I picked someone in my bracket. In other cases, I just didn't know enough about certain characters going into the tournament. Balsa, for example. I had only 10 episodes to judge her by, and it was tough to know just how heroic she was in the series as a whole. I think I estimated her a bit too high. And the order of Shu/Balsa/Dr Tenma was probably the hardest thing to decide on, and in retrospect I definitely would have had Shu beat them both. Of course, Shu never even faced Dr Tenma because of Kenshin.

Regarding the manga character ideas, I too am somewhat sad that manga-only characters and exploits that only occur in a manga aren't included. But I just don't see any way we could do so. It's not just the issue of video clips, the biggest issue I see is when a character is portrayed substantially different in the manga and anime versions of a series.

To give one example, in a certain series I follow, a character in the manga was recently revealed to be a surprise villian and traitor. The anime adaption of this series has already ended, and of course the fact that the character was actually evil was never revealed. The character remained one of the good guys the whole time in the anime.

Heck, using this specific tournament as an example, look at Clare. She was involved in some highly contested matches, and a lot of discussion occured involving the events that happened at the end of the anime. Events that never occured in the manga.

I think the only way we'll ever be able to include manga characters is to have an entirely separate tournament just for them.

Now, on to the questions:

1) Is there anything you would like to see changed about the way the tournaments are organized and run?

Nothing that immediately comes to mind. As I said above, as cool as it would be to include manga-only characters and count things that only occur in the manga, it simply wouldn't be possible from my point of view.

2) Did/will the discussions and/or video clips inspire you to watch any title you have not already scene?

Yep. I haven't seen any of them yet, but I definitely want to check out Kurau, Nausicaa, The Story of Sainaku, The Third, 12 Kingdoms... actually, there are a lot of anime movies or series I really want to check out now. Most of them I was already interested in before, but I definitely am even more interested now.

3) This tournament started being organized in late February, with a participation requirement being that at least one full season (or the entire series run, if shorter) had to have been available, so series that started anew in the winter season were not eligible. Is there any character from the winter or spring seasons you feel deserved to be included, or any character from an older source you feel got overlooked?

I think this series already was qualified at the time, but I simply hadn't seen enough of it yet to know I'd want to nominate anyone. I'm refering to Shugo Chara. I think Amu from that series would at least deserve a spot in the tournament, even if she wouldn't be a major contender.

4) Given things you have learned about characters since the start of the tournament, is there any early voting choice you would do differently were the tournament to be rerun?

Nope. There are definitely some mini-game decisions I'd redo, but I'm pretty happy with all of my actual votes.
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Overall, the tournament was well-organized and I liked the way it was ran. Perhaps, combining some of the later rounds together may be a good idea. A 13 week tournament seems a bit rushed, but a 20 week one seems like the perfect pace.

I also really liked the rule that all first time nominations had to be backed up with written support; I would definitely like to do that again. Additionally, hidden seeds and minor and major seed ideas worked well, too.

Mainly NTHT, but I would also like to watch Twelve Kingdoms, and perhaps Princess Tutu.

While I doubt he would go far, I bet Akira Takizawa would be at least a borderline exclusion based on his originality and boldness alone.

Not particularly, but I think I overestimated Simon and Kurau in the later rounds.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote

Everything is fine as is

Not really, no. But I'm also broke so that's a big factor! Wink

I have no clue

4) Given things you have learned about characters since the start of the tournament, is there any early voting choice you would do differently were the tournament to be rerun?[/quote]

Probably Picking Roy Musting to win his group.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote

I would have to defer to those more experienced in these matters, but there's not really anything in particular I can immediately think of.

Of course. Laughing Princess Tutu and Now and Then, Here and There are the most obvious candidates, although I'd like to forget some of the spoilers first, but a few others like The Third and several Studio Ghibli movies I've missed so far are on my current wish list. Now that this has been brought up, I should probably go back and read my previous votes in order to find additional examples.

Guin has already been mentioned by Key, but...would Koji Kabuto count? Razz

In all honesty, I can't really think of any recent candidates who wouldn't have been disqualified during the nominations anyway. There are tons of older characters who probably do deserve a chance though, just not any I'm instantly recalling or even particularly fond of.

Not so much my individual votes, both good and bad, but I'd sure love to go back and change my entire bracket into something more likely to resemble the final outcome. Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
1) Rather than what I'd like to see changed, I really like the new guide format, with the characters having their own page. It makes it much easier to find and compare two characters who are facing off, rather than having to jump back and forth on the description page.

2) I watched Gun Frontier (streaming), something I wouldn't have done had Tochiro not been nominated for this tournament. Other shows like 12 Kingdoms, NTHT, and a few others that I haven't seen yet I'd already been interested in, but this helped. I started reading the One Piece manga in part due to Luffy's inclusion and success compared to some of the other shonen heroes.

3) Maybe Akira Takizawa from Eden of the East. I don't think he would have gone very far, and the movies not being out yet still leaves a couple of questions about what he could do.
Amu Hinamori from Shugo Chara, although she's more of an oversight in general than from a new show, isn't she?

4) Had I watched Gun Frontier back in the nominations period, I would have voted Tochiro down rather than up. He's a good guy for certain, but he didn't particularly go out of his way to help people. His two major goals were noble enough, but both had a personal motivation more than just a benevolent one, and he failed at both by the end of the series, one irreversibly.
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the much delayed final brackets and mini-game scores updated here: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

A big thanks to Key and Dorcas_Aurelia for all their help with the tournament.

And thanks to everybody who participated.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
Sorry for the much delayed final brackets and mini-game scores updated here: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Thanks for helping with the tournament. The same thanks for Key and Dorcas as well. It wouldn't have worked if you guys didn't put in the effort so thank you.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
ccdx wrote:

Thanks for helping with the tournament. The same thanks for Key and Dorcas as well. It wouldn't have worked if you guys didn't put in the effort so thank you.

I third that!

I had a VERY enjoyable time with this tournament. It was one of the most interesting ones we've had in a while.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Because I'm going to be involved with a major convention the next four days (Gen Con, the world's biggest pure gaming convention, for those who have heard of it), nothing is likely to go up about the next tournament before Sunday evening U.S. EST. (Heck, I'm typing this while taking a break from drawing maps that I'll need for an RPG I'm helping to run. . . but there will, of course, be anime involved, too.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
ccdx wrote:

I third that!

I had a VERY enjoyable time with this tournament. It was one of the most interesting ones we've had in a while.

I fourth that. Very Happy This is the first one of these tournaments that I participated in fully, and I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next one.
Olliff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Liked the general format. Would be against shortening the tournament to 13 weeks, but 20 weeks could work, too.

Not too sure about the manga idea since character can differ greatly between the anime and manga portrayal. A sense of depth is found in manga isn't found in anime and I bet it would hard to make them comparable unless the tournament was limited to one or the other.

Started watching Moribito and I like what I see. Hopefully, Netflix will get their act together soon since it appears they don't have the full series yet. Also watched an episode of Utena on Anime Network on demand, and it looked promising as well.

Other than Akira from Eden of the East no one else comes to mind. I also agree that it's difficult to make a final judgment on his character with a movie still in the works.

Think I voted for Goku based on reputation for far too long. Never seen the series and don't plan on seeing it, but I was bit surprised that such an iconic hero wasn't able to break the final 16 until I actually began reading about him -- that helps.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
This has runs its course, I think, so I am going to un-sticky the thread effective with this post. A post concerning the next round will start in a new thread hopefully within the next couple of hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 77