• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazingeyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Yuuki Tokugawa, E’s Otherwise
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Voting: Hakuoro
Reason: Guide

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic

Voting: Kazuki Muto
Reason: Guide, and from my brief encounter with xxxHolic, Watanuki didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Group A-3
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Voting: Pacifica Casull

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise
vs.
Mamoru Kusanagi, Blue Seed

Voting: Kenshin Himura
Reason: Basically when I think of "hero", Kenshin is the first thing that comes to my mind. He is kind and helpful and will do anything to help anyone. He's mad strong too.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Voting: Saya Otonashi
Reason: Saya came across to me as a strong but also a compassionate figure.

Group A-6
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster
vs.
Yusuke Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho

Voting: Yusuke Urameshi
Reason: He will ultimately do anything to help his friends and he suceeds in overcoming great obstacles and becomes stronger. I've never seen Monster but I don't think much of Dr. Tenma from the guide, though I may change my mind.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Voting: Clare
Reason: Never really thought Mai was all that heroic.

Group A-8
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Robin Sena, Witch Hunter Robin

Voting: Robin Sena

Group A-9
Goku, Dragonball franchise
vs.
Nanoha Takamichi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise

Voting: Goku
Reason: Umm... well he's Goku. Thats enough really. I can still remember his heroics and I haven't watched Dragonball since I was 9.

Group A-10
Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Voting: Hibiki Tokai
Reason: I've seen some of both of these shows and Hibiki came off as being an overall stronger figure.

Group A-11
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Voting: Hikaru Shidou

Group A-12
Karasu, Noein – to your other self
vs.
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise

Voting: Karasu

Group A-13
Renton Thurston, Eureka 7
vs.
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There

Voting: Shu Maritani
Reason: Guide and I always thought Renton was a whiny kid who only did anything heroic in the last episode and spent most of his time moping and panicking.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Voting: Sakura Kinomoto
Reason She has a lot of pressure put on her when she is only 10 yet she rises to the situation completely and brilliantly.

Group A-15
Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi
vs.
Gourry Gabriev, Slayers franchise

Voting: Gourry Gabriev

Group A-16
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon
vs.
Allison Whittington, Allison and Lillia

Voting: Usagi Tsukino
Reason: Guide, and because she has to be Sailor Moon for a reason.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1: Hakuoro. Based on the guide, I think he is a better candidate.

Group A-2: Kimihiro Watanuki. I'm not a big fan of Buso Renkin, and am more familiar with xxxHolic, so I'm going with this one more.

Group A-3: Pacifica Casull. This one is based on the guide as well.

Group A-4: Kenshin Himuro. I admire Kenshin for his efforts, what he does, what he has to go through.

Group A-5: Saya Otonashi. Judging by what I know of the stories of both characters, it's kind of a meh on both parts. So this one I go with the character I am more familiar with.

Group A-6: Yusuke Urameshi. First and foremost sacrificing yourself is a pretty heroic deed.

Group A-7: Clare. I don't like the Mai-Hime series that much, and from what I know of Clare and what she does, plus what she has to go through, I'm in for Clare.

Group A-8: Siegfried Kercheis. Was iffy on reading the guide for both, so random pick.

Group A-9: Goku. He's had to go through so much, and saves the world several times. And he is always thinking of others.

Group A-10: Hibiki Tokai. Guide.

Group A-11: Hikaru Shidou. I love this series, and Hikaru is concerned not only about the goals that must be achieved, but also her friends.

Group A-12: Karasu. Guide.

Group A-13: Shu Maritani. Random pick due to the guide being good for both.

Group A-14: Sakura Kinomoto. She selflessly will go on a whim for others, and accepts her role in what she must do though it may be a difficult one.

Group A-15: Gourry Gabriev. I like the Slayers franchise and the guide made more sense for him.

Group A-16: Usagi Tsukino. Though she might be immature and naive at first, she eventually grows into and accepts the role that has been given to her in her fight for justice.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It might just be me, but aren't we supposed to put actual, fleshed out reasons for votes? Not just, "The Guide," or "Anyone but XXX." Just a suggestion...

Anyway, here are my votes:

Group A-1

I haven't seen either series, but this was still a tough choice because both sound like really great heroes in their own right. However, Yuuki's philanthropic-type deeds call to me a bit more.

Group A-2
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic

A bit of a difficult choice, as I can understand some of the arguments against Watanuki in the preliminaries. That said, he's still very much a heroic character, and while his opponent sounded like a strong enough choice, I just feel a bit more secure voting for someone whose heroic actions I've witnessed. There were many times he risked his life not because that was his task, but because he truly cares about people.

Group A-3
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

As much as I like Pacifica and Scrapped Princess, she always felt more like a plot device than a character, and leaned more towards damsel in distress than heroine. Even her more heroic actions were not the result of her own intention--things just sort of happened. On the other hand, it sounds like Jil sets out with the intention to better the world, so I'll go ahead and go with him.

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin

Even if I couldn't stand the character and only got through five episodes of the series, the whole concept behind Kenshin makes him the clear winner here. I'm also particularly fond of those who avoid killing, so that gives him an extra point or two from me.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +

I'll admit, I'm basing this vote on having more interest in someday seeing Blood + than much else. Saya just seems to be a bit more interesting character, although the character guides don't really seem to establish just how heroic she is. Her opponent's heroism just didn't jive right for what I'm looking for.

Group A-6

Since neither guide was convincing, I'm going with the votes. People who are familiar with both characters seem overwhelming drawn towards Dr. Tenma. As more information is coming forth, it sounds like he's the best choice (even though I was about to vote for Yusuke until I did some extra reading.)

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore

Doing her job while taking in orphans and the like is the type of heroism I like, so Clare gets my vote.

Group A-8
Robin Sena, Witch Hunter Robin

As much as I want to vote for the old school series, I'm going to have to give the edge to Robin. While much of what she does is for her position as a hunter, it seems she goes beyond that.

Group A-9

Sent to Earth to destroy it, but decides to protect it instead? Sounds like Goku's a better choice than I thought he'd be. It's not my type of anime, but there are certain characters that just feel like they belong in this tournament, even if they are a bit cliche.

Group A-10
Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime

I like the guide's discussion of Keisei doing things for the "good of all" rather than a particular object of affection. Plus, I am a bit of a sucker for those who help out orphans, as previously stated.

Group A-11
Hikaru Shidou, gic Knight Rayearth

Van actually sounds like a more formidable opponent than I would have guessed, but really, Hikaru is just too strong to be beat out so early. While Van's goal seems to be more towards protecting certain people, Hikaru is bound and determined to save the world--and it's not even her world! She has no connection to it whatsoever when her assistance is requested, and yet she immediately agrees because it is the right thing to do. She's definitely someone that should go far in the tournament, even if she doesn't actually do so.

Group A-12

While I haven't seen the series, Karasu really sounds like an upstanding type. Going against what he's told and becoming a "human shield" takes a lot of courage. While I like Lafiel, I just don't feel her actions are so much heroic as part of the job.

Group A-13

There's really no competition here. Renton's a sweet kid, and heck, maybe he even does something really cool by the end of the series (I'm working my way towards the halfway point), but it's nothing compared to Shu. Taken from his homeland, binding himself to the protection of Lalaru, refusing to kill, defying one of the craziest villains I've ever seen...yeah, definitely Shu.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Good thing I decided to read other votes beyond just the guide, because I was more than ready to vote for Sakura simply because I was familiar with her and Yuji didn't sound impressive. However, seeing some of the reasons people have put down, it sounds like they were both thrust into situations they were unprepared for, but Yuji really had to go much deeper in himself to succeed. Perhaps if there had actually been a spoiler[villain] in CCS Sakura would have still be in the running but her competitor just sounds a bit stronger to me.

Group A-15
Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi

The guide makes Hikaru out to be a very worthy competitor. While I'm a bit disconcerted that her actions from a different arc are to be discounted, I'll go ahead and place my vote with her.

Group A-16
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon

This one's really not even close. As sweet and courageous as Allison is, she still lacks that extra bit to make her a strong heroine. Usagi has that special something and so much more. Some people have said she's a stereotype--but that's not really true. She came before that stereotype came into being really. She embodies the good yet unready heroine, one that girls could both relate to and want to become. She doesn't fight just for her friends or even her country, but to save the entire world, the entire solar system, and even the galaxy. She never hesitates to put her life on the line when needed--but she also doesn't make it seem like it was an easy or thoughtless choice.

Her adventure begins due to her kind nature--she rescues the cat that eventually tells her she is Sailor Moon. She pulls in the downtrodden around her and lifts them up and grants them friendship and a respite from their loneliness. Ami was a scorned bookworm, but flourishes under Usagi's influence. Rei was thought of as cool but "scary," but in Usagi she finds someone that will accept her cool and mysterious parts--and won't put up with her being uppity. Makoto found acceptance and kindness from Usagi when the rest of the world whispered behind her back or cowered in fear due to her reputation of aggression. Minako was without friends due to her obligations as Sailor V, but Usagi welcomed her easily into her group, and gave her reason to keep fighting the good fight.

She doesn't just destroy villains. No, Usagi does her best to reach out to them, to heal their broken and bitter hearts. She anguishes when that is impossible, and risks her life to try it anyway. She's willing to keep pushing and try to save people no matter how discouraging the situation, and even in fear she keeps moving forward, even if spoiler[she has to move past the corpses of the friends that risked their lives in the battle]

Yes, Allison is a very notable heroine in her own right, but she simply is no Tsukino Usagi.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Siegfried is a minor character

This true for the main OVA. However, he is in all of the other OVAs and movies, obviously much more often than in the main series, in A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights he was even given the main role for around 4 episodes.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
It might just be me, but aren't we supposed to put actual, fleshed out reasons for votes? Not just, "The Guide," or "Anyone but XXX." Just a suggestion...

Not for the first round or three, I hope. Too many characters to write up would keep away most of us, I'm sure.

I'm all for walls of argument in the later stages, though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Sophisticat wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Not for the first round or three, I hope. Too many characters to write up would keep away most of us, I'm sure.

Who said walls of arguments? I agree with Mylene that some reason should be given beyond "guide". What in the guide made you chose them? You can just write 2-3 sentences and say what in the guide made you chose that character. Hardly a wall there now is it? And btw most of us have been participating in many of the tournaments doing the actual write ups for choices even in the first stages. Just FYI.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Sophisticat wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Who said walls of arguments? I agree with Mylene that some reason should be given beyond "guide". What in the guide made you chose them? You can just write 2-3 sentences and say what in the guide made you chose that character. Hardly a wall there now is it? And btw most of us have been participating in many of the tournaments doing the actual write ups for choices even in the first stages. Just FYI.

I don't see much point in paraphrasing the guide. If I'm unfamiliar with a character, I'll say so, rather than build up a demagogic ratiocination from two sentences of someone else's opinion. If you think that my opinion on those (and only those) characters should be discredited because of that, that's fine, I actually tend to agree with you, but this is why the guide exists in the first place.

Anyway, I very much agree with the sentiment that a fleshed-out argument should be provided, and I apologize for not doing so. However, I think there's something to be said about being unenthusiastic enough about a particular character to not even bother with an argument: namely, that this reflects not just on the voter, but on the nature of the nomination. I'm sorry if you think that I'm being disparaging by automatically dismissing Sailor Moon and stock characters in their early puberty, but I honestly do feel that the bulk of Group A is not deserving of the nomination in the first place.

Conversely, one of the characters in this group sounded so impressive and interesting that I will definitely be checking out the anime she appears in.

Last edited by arachneia on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:

I don't see much point in paraphrasing the guide. If I'm unfamiliar with a character, I'll say so, rather than build up a demagogic ratiocination from two sentences of someone else's opinion. If you think that my opinion on those (and only those) characters should be discredited because of that, that's fine, I actually tend to agree with you, but this is why the guide exists in the first place.

The guide may exist, and does in fact, to help people make a choice who are unfamiliar with the characters in any given round. That is true. However that does not exclude people from having to explain their reasons regardless. Simply saying the guide in no way tells people what PART of it persuaded you. What actual comments said in it made you pick that choice? While the mods have not said flat out you HAVE to do so it is HIGHLY suggested you do. Otherwise if all people are going to do is just say "guide" the whole time the tournament could get very boring before the 2nd rounds even come. Just saying.
farichada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Time to vote!

Group A-1
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

No contest, his opponent may be generous, but Hakuoro's heroics beats his generosity any day. He is the type of person that doesn't care about himself as long he is able to do good.

Group A-2
Kazuki, Buso Renkin

Easy pick. Kazuki's character may be very cheesy and exaggerated, but he is much more of hero than Watanuki. Kazuki sacrifices himself for the good of his friends even when it means distancing himself from the one person he cares about most. Kazuki may be dumb as a door knob and fairly stereotypical as heroes goes, but it's hard to deny that he is dedicated to doing good even if it hurts him.
Group A-3
Jil, Tower of Duraga

Neither choice seems strong based on the guide and comments. I will will choose him for now, but that may change after I read more opinions on the two.

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin

Very easy pick. Kenshin is one of the strongest characters in this tournament. His whole life is dedicated towards doing good and he doesn't have an arrogant temper like some heroes. He is truly deserving of respect and my vote.

Vote changed!
Group A-5
Saya, Blood

I cannot vote for Toboe knowing his cowardice and weakness inherent to his character. Saya appears deserving, but unlikable. Some of the votes against her cite personal preference and nothing else.

Group A-6

Tenma wins easily. He's an all-round nice guy that also has a tough side. He resists the temptations of evil and he is truly dedicated to his profession to the point that he still wants to save lives even when he is on the run from the law.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore

Clare has more courage, but she is still a borderline choice because most of her heroism comes from her job. At the same time, I'm not impressed with Mai either.

Group A-8
Siegfreid, Galactic Heroes

He has one of the most epic crowning moments of heroism/awesomeness that I have ever witnessed in anime. It may be true that he isn't a major character in the OVAs, but that's not enough to vote against him.

Group A-9

Not my type of anime, but I admit that Goku is a hero with a heart. He may not have much when it comes to brains; he's just lucky he's not in the last tournament. He is a bit reckless and irrational for hero standards, but he will do for now.

Group A-10
Hibiki, Vandread

Don't know either character. Vandread seems marginally better. Both appear very weak from both the guide and the comments.

Group A-11
Hikaru Shidou, Knight Rayearth

As much as it pains me to vote against someone with such a cool name as Van Flyheight, Hikaru has him beat. Flyheight is way too much of a cardboard cut out hero. If he had an easier opponent, he may have won.

Group A-12

Upstanding protector whose loyalty to his protectee goes far beyond his duty. Karasu proves himself that he's no pushover and that he is dedicated to the task at hand not matter what sacrifice is needed.

Group A-13

There's no contest here. Renton's a good character, but he's too much of a whiner. It also doesn't help that Shu probably could beat an opponent much tougher than him. Shu goes through hell, and his spirit is never broken.

Group A-14
Sakura, CCS

She may be a dim-witted 10 year, but her heart is the right place. She is also always willing to take on whatever evil faces her no matter what the odds are.

Group A-15
Gourry, Slayers

The guide exaggerates greatly on Hikaru's accomplishment's and moral character. Gourry on the other hand is dedicated to the tenants of heroism despite his role as comic relief. Goofiness and heroism are by no means mutually exclusive.

Group A-16
Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon should be dominating this match. Her kindness and dedication to love and peace is on a different plane than most other heroes and heroines. Her accomplishments are numberless despite her klutzy teenage girl moments. Lastly, she doesn't just fight evil like other heroines, but she goes one step further -- she does her best to reach out and try mend their broken hearts with genuine kindness. She does this because she truly cares about everyone's well being even her enemies.

Last edited by farichada on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 am; edited 5 times in total
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
arachneia wrote:

The guide may exist, and does in fact, to help people make a choice who are unfamiliar with the characters in any given round. That is true. However that does not exclude people from having to explain their reasons regardless. Simply saying the guide in no way tells people what PART of it persuaded you. What actual comments said in it made you pick that choice? While the mods have not said flat out you HAVE to do so it is HIGHLY suggested you do. Otherwise if all people are going to do is just say "guide" the whole time the tournament could get very boring before the 2nd rounds even come. Just saying.

Please read my edited post.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
While the mods have not said flat out you HAVE to do so it is HIGHLY suggested you do. Otherwise if all people are going to do is just say "guide" the whole time the tournament could get very boring before the 2nd rounds even come. Just saying.

Key wrote:
Although providing reasons for your votes is not required, it is encouraged, as not everyone is going to know every character and convincing arguments have proven to be a major factor in past tournaments.

Perhaps it is highly suggested that we give reasons, but the reality is we don't have to. Because making people give reasons can actually backfire. No, it's true. Although we did not have to give reasons last tournament (for most of it anyway), some people still gave incredibly silly justifications for their votes. Which caused others (like myself) to jump on those poor arguments and attempt to "rip them a new one". If people are going to have silly and/or illogical reasons for voting the way they do, we might as well let them vote in peace. If we get bad reasons being aired when they don't have to be, imagine what it will be like when everyone has to give a reason for every vote. Instead of "hilarity ensues", it will be "calamity ensues".

Besides, I think you are looking at this the wrong way. We are not a jury which must look at all the evidence and come to some sort of officious result. This is a tournament whose main purpose is for people to have fun. At the end of the day (or the week if you will), we don't have to consider the evidence. We can vote for whoever we want, for whatever reason we want, no matter what the rules say. At least this way we don't have to lie and make up some reason that has nothing to do with the way we feel. And despite - nay, because - the airing of bad reasons has often annoyed us in the past, we might as well be open and not force people into bad situations.

I don't know what Key's rationale was behind Rule # Six, but that is the way I personally see it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
BES Null Core wrote:

vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Vote: Yuuki Tokugawa, E's Otherwise
Reason: Yuuki sounds like a reasonably heroic person. Hakuoro from the guide sounds like a borderline anti-hero whose good deeds outweigh bad ones by a contested margin. Is it just the write-up?

Vote: Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster
Reason: A difficult choice, since both sound like anti-heroes. It happens that I am more familiar with Yusuke's thuggish behavior that he never lost, despite volunteering to save the world.

A couple of things to note: while I have never seen Utawareruomono, I've heard a fair amount about Hakuoro during the nomination process, and nothing I heard suggests even in the slightest that he is an anti-hero. At all. And JesuOtaku also commented on this in her post, so I think it's just the write-up.

Also, while I can't talk about Yusuke, I can assure you that Dr. Tenma is not an anti-hero either. Beleive me, it is not close.

Aylinn wrote:

Allison Whittington I would vote for anyone but Usagi

You're the second person to say the whole "anything but Sailer Moon" thing. But I don't understand why. I've never seen the series, but what about Sailer Moon makes you say that?

BES Null Core wrote:
I Contrast this with Clare, whose camaraderie with her fellow claymores is of a cold peership, manifests in belligerence among her fellows, and flares up in rage against enemies.

Now let us compare their motivations. Although Clare slays demons, it is at the command of an extortionist organization. She merely uses her job as a means of improving her powers and seeking revenge. The hidden and burning hatred that serves as her personal motivation taints almost all of her deeds that may be considered heroic.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Clare is a brave and strong individual. But she's also vengeful, hateful, entwined in a coalition of fiscally driven killers...yeah. She's inspiring compared to her fellow claymores, but that makes her an anti-hero at best. Appearances may be bad things to judge on, but I have to say it...just LOOK at her! She was clearly designed to be dark-chique menace-badass. If she's a hero, so is Faye Valentine, and they both belong in a badass tourney, not a hero tourney.

farichada wrote:

Clare has more courage, but she is still a borderline choice because most of her heroism comes from her job. At the same time, I'm not impressed with Mai either.

Whoa whoa whoa now, am I watching the same series as the rest of you? Let's discuss some of these points.

First, the arguement that Clare is merely "doing her job", and is thus not herioc. As I have stated, Clare goes beyond what is called for in her job. It is her job to kill Yoma. It is against the rules to directly kill humans. But there is nothing to say that she has to go out of the way and risk her life when humans foolishly endanger themselves. There's nothing that says she has to save the life of a boy dying of exposure/starvation, or take care of an orphen.

Yet that is exactly what she does. She is not merely doing her job. Compare her attitude to the attitude that Teresa showed when that flashback first started, and you'll see a Claymore who was merely doing her job. That is not Clare, not even close.

Next, the vengence arguement. I'll admit it, Clare wants revenge. That is something that is not normally considered herioc. It's the very reason she became a Claymore. But...

When it comes down to it, she is willing to throw away her life in a second. For people who hate her, and who tried to kill her. If she does that, any hope of revenge dies in a second. This shows that while she wants revenge, it is clearly not the driving force some seem to think.

Furthermore, when she is faced with the possibility of her death, how does she react? We never get a clear glimpse of her thoughts, but we do get an idea of her actions. Making arrangements to ensure Raki is taken care of. Trying to comfort Raki. Where is the "I can't die, I have to get revenge" that you'd expect from a power hungry vengence freak? It is nowhere.

I'm not saying that Clare doesn't really want revenge, she does. That is clear in some cases. I'm saying that despite her deep desire for it, despite it being the very reason she became a Claymore, it is not enough to overpower her good nature and heart, and she will throw it all away with no hesitation. To save the lives of strangers who hate her.

Regarding her coldness, yah, she seems cold at first. But that is merely an outer shell. As I mentioned before, in the very first episode, when she encounters Raki near death in the wilderness, the look on her face is one of such care that even a Yoma is shocked and realizes that Clare is not a typical claymore. Clare is cold to humans, because she thinks they will all forget her soon anyways, but that coldness melts rather quickly when one of them actually shows her otherwise.

And while she doesn't instantly become friends with her fellow claymores, true, she does develop a friendship with all of those who went with her on that one hunt. Some of her initial coldness to them can probably easily be attributed to the fact that Helen mocked her relationship with Raki, but it didn't stop the 4 of them from all becoming good friends. Claymores, by the nature of what they are and what they go through, tend to have a somewhat harsh exterior, but that doesn't change who they are at their core. And Clare is far above most claymores in heriocs. Anti-hero? Not even close.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Hakuoro: Guide

Group A-2
Kimihiro Watanuki: Guide

Group A-3
Jil: Guide

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura: He was a caring and helpful character who fought for what was right.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi: She was suddenly thrown into a world of violence with no memories of her past life and pulled through. spoiler[Also, she kind of saved the world at the end.]
Group A-6
Yusuke Urameshi: In the first episode he dies trying to save a young boy's life! That right there is heroic. After that he is thrown into a world of violence and has to protect the world from demons. He never asked for anything in return. Also, I haven't seen Monster yet so I voted for the hero I know.

Group A-7
Clare: Guide

Group A-8
Robin Sena: Mostly Guide (I can't remember much of the series, I need to re watch it).

Group A-9
Goku: He's kind of the stereo typical 'hero'. A type of 'super man' figure of anime programing.

Group A-10
Keisei Tagami: He only wants to protect Makina and his 'brother' Ori. He does everything he can to give them what they want.

Group A-11
Van Flyheight: Guide

Group A-12
Karasu: He constantly protects Haruka through out the series. Doing what ever it takes to save her.

Group A-13
Shu Maritani: He is a selfless and caring person. He risks life and limb to try and save everyone. Even when being threatened to be killed he re fusses to fight in the war. He is tortured and abused and never give up. He only wants peace and happiness for everyone.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido: Guide

Group A-15
Gourry Gabriev: Guide

Group A-16
Usagi Tsukino: Mostly guide.

Last edited by Mushi-Man on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man, something happened with your post and you're missing votes for 3 match ups.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Sophisticat wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Whoa, okay, before this gets out of hand, I was just throwing out a hyperbole there with "walls", and all that.

What I meant was, there are so many characters in the first two rounds that giving a reason for each pick is going to take more time and effort than some of us are willing to put. Notice my own votes, I pretty much just put smilies to indicate what I thought of each candidate, and nothing more was needed.

It's still too early to make a well thought-out description since some characters are clearly stronger candidates than others. Besides, I don't even know half the candidates on the list, so writing "guide" or "coin flip" would get redundant. Which is why I implied waiting for the later rounds would make for juicier descriptions.

Besides, I'm lazy, and nothing stops anyone from posting their own thoughts. So, chill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 77