• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rock on with K-ON!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
jjordan33 wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:

woot! yeah, that's the one.

thanks, do u know if it's any good?

or if not, neone else know?

Here's a review of Beck.

Now stop derailing the thread please.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Since I was pretty hardcore, I was able to watching the streaming version at its broadcast time. I'll wait for proper fansubs, but I REALLY like the OP and ED theme songs. Both sequences had the girls playing their instruments to the songs though I'm growing fond of the ED sequence since it had them wearing gothic lolita outfits after they showed the naked top part of the girls. Shocked Embarassed

Oh yeah, I confirm Detroit Metal City and Jimi Hendrix references in this first episode! Cool

And Mio and Ritsu are officially yuri slash material! Twisted Evil
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect much out of this, but I made a habit out of watching at least the first episode of anything that looks even remotely interesting and...wow. It actually is pretty good.
While it does have the usual clumsy-girl-with-no-personality, it can be really funny, it cracked me up the whole second half. I'm looking forward to the band changing into one that plays songs like the OP/ED Very Happy
Also, one of the funniest moment in all anime ever. spoiler[SATSUGAI SE YO!] Hehe.
One might say the ED looks fanservicey, but I don't care. The show rocks and I will continue watching it Very Happy

Edit: CoalGuys also did an, I think, great job with the karaoke. Very inventive Very Happy
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
Clearly KyoAni are playing it safe with this but Mio is made of win.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
The best part of that episode was the DMC reference. SATSUGAI!

Well, I was iffy because:

1. It's KyoAni. I didn't like anything from them except Haruhi.
2. Girls in high school with cookie cutter moe personas

I actually enjoyed the first episode. I don't like the clumsy main character at all, but everyone else is tolerable. They look a bit off in their character design though. Their legs and shoulders look off to me.

I did not like the half naked ED sequence but the rest of it was okay.

Was anyone else annoyed by the sporadic every which way karoke subs. How about keep them at the bottom! How about not trying to blend them into backgrounds and such!
Shobob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
The best part of that episode was the DMC reference. SATSUGAI!

Well, I was iffy because:

1. It's KyoAni. I didn't like anything from them except Haruhi.
2. Girls in high school with cookie cutter moe personas

I actually enjoyed the first episode. I don't like the clumsy main character at all, but everyone else is tolerable. They look a bit off in their character design though. Their legs and shoulders look off to me.

I did not like the half naked ED sequence but the rest of it was okay.

Was anyone else annoyed by the sporadic every which way karoke subs. How about keep them at the bottom! How about not trying to blend them into backgrounds and such!

The overused archetypes in K-On are just the hyper, bossy type (ritsu), and the clumsy airhead type (yui). Tsumugi is the nice, rich girl, and Mio tries to act cool sometimes but is shy and scared of everything. They're still straightforward, but there not as cookie-cutter as people are making them out to be.

I also like the way they've done the subs in the OP and EDs. It might look better without subs at all there, though.

I agree Yui is too air-headed, and almost not believable as a human being. Hopefully this will get better over time as the characters develop.

I love the ED. The outfits are really well done. I'm already wondering if people will cosplay these. The song is great too, apparently the full versions come out on the 22nd. The ED song is better than the OP song, though.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Shobob wrote:
The ED song is better than the OP song, though.

Easily, OP's meh, ED is nice.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Who's going to bet somewhere down the line KyoAni is going to make a full animated music video of the OP and ED sequences? That ED sequence especially will look gorgeous in its full version; it reminds me of one those gothic-themed J-rock PVs I saw some time back (I don't recall which one specifically).
Shobob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably put a full version of the ED in the last episode. They'll be at their first real show and all dressed in their lolita stuff.

Everyone will be relying on Yui not to mess up, the episode will center around her and how she feels she's not very good at music. The others will convince her she has come a long way since she joined the club and couldn't play at all. Towards the end of the episode, they'll don their loli dresses and take to the stage, melting our faces off with a raving rendition of "Don't say lazy".

We will be left wanting more, but that will be the last episode. We will hope and pray for a second series, but then it will be pointed out that this is KyoAni, and the idea of a second series is laughable.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Shobob wrote:
but then it will be pointed out that this is KyoAni, and the idea of a second series is laughable.

bitter haruhi fan is bitter, really it could be worse, you could be a Full Metal Panic fan.
Shobob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
At least I have the rest of K-On! and the singles on april 22nd to look forward to.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first episode I'm not to impressed yet. But I think it has the potential to be good. The characters are a little predictable so far and the comedy isn't "great". But it's a bit entertaining. I'm hoping for more music references. I liked the joke about the famous guitarist's names all starting with a J. I hoping for it to be like Lucky Star but with music jokes instead of otaku jokes.

And another little side note. I a run in with a awful sub. They just had the characters dropping the F bomb every five seconds and sex jokes. I'd suggest watching out for this sub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shobob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't encountered it.

The first episode did show potential whilst not being fully satisfying.

I'm hoping that now they've introduced the characters, the quality will improve.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Shobob wrote:
I'm hoping that now they've introduced the characters, the quality will improve.

Yeah, it seems that first episode for these types of shows are usually pretty slow. I'm going to assume that it's going to get better.

Also, I'm not to amazed by the directing. It seems pretty bland so far. But this is Hisako Yamada's first time directing (aside from episode director in the Lucky Star OVA). We might see an improvement of it as the series goes on though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shobob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that most of the seiyuu don't seem to have that large a career either. The voice acting seemed okay to me, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21