• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

But if I may make a hypothesis, I believe that this show will do precisely what the manga does: have more incredible action scenes and screwball humor than the last series by far...but not be nearly as dramatically sophisticated as the original series. This one already screams to be fan-pandering and sophomoric, but that's not such a bad thing, as the first series had social commentary blowin' out the bazoo, and guts and glory from the manga will be wicked fun in animation. Not a bad start, let's see if it can hold its weight for...how many episodes? A long long time. I can already tell that the famous death scenes and shocking twists will have very limited impact on this go-round, so the creators had better play up the high-gloss animation and violent action for them instead of the tender tragedy of the older show.

Well I completely disagree with your hypothesis and I think you are giving people a fairly incorrect impression of the manga.

The FMA manga might be less angsty than the original anime but that doesn't mean it's a completely goofy action fest. The manga for me has the perfect balance of drama & humor. And it has plenty of great dramatic moments. In fact Arakawa based a lot of the characters in FMA on real people she met in her life and talked to giving FMA which is a fantasy a very realistic human element.

And yes I am sure the plot twists that were the same in the 1st anime and manga will not have the same impact because people will already know what happens. However the manga has plenty of great plot twists that were not in the original anime for people to look forward to.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Seriously people seem to have pretty bad memories because the first anime had it's fair share of humor.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Well I completely disagree with your hypothesis and I think you are giving people a fairly incorrect impression of the manga.

The FMA manga might be less angsty than the original anime but that doesn't mean it's a completely goofy action fest. The manga for me has the perfect balance of drama & humor. And it has plenty of great dramatic moments. In fact Arakawa based a lot of the characters in FMA on real people she met in her life and talked to giving FMA which is a fantasy a very realistic human element.

I should have been more specific, you're right. I meant to say that the first 7 or 8 volumes of the original manga were action-heavy, very funny, and over-the-top melodramatically visceral, but did not have the dramatic maturity of the anime. For whatever reason, however, starting a little in volume 8 but mostly in volume 9 and onward, Arakawa's tone shifted. The manga was still funny and there are great action scenes, but her mastery over drama skyrocketed past heightened shonen shockjocking and into very tender mature pacing that rivaled the anime.

Is that more accurate? There is definitely a progression in her work, though. The early volumes of the manga had a poorer sense of dramatic timing, or to be more accurate, a sophomoric sense of dramatic timing. There was a lot of angsty violent melodrama, very much like Shaman King or Yu Yu Hakusho, I would say. I think Arakawa just refined the balance in her storytelling after seeing some of the anime and adopting the tone. (After all, FMA was her first serialized manga, besides that short one. She had room to grow.) Because by volume 8 or 9, the manga completely equals the anime's dramatic refinement and occasionally surpasses it. Fair enough? This new series just reminded me of her early volumes, though, not the later ones that are just as proficient as the 1st anime. That may change in the same way as her comics did.

I will say that even if this new series evolves into an iteration as refined and moving as the first, I really don't think it will approach the first series' caliber of sly social commentary, because the manga doesn't either. It's more focused on human nature themes, which is just dandy, but one of the things that made the first series so dimensional was that wee added layer of real-world application. I think that's a novelty that just belongs to the first series.

Quote:
However the manga has plenty of great plot twists that were not in the original anime for people to look forward to.

Bwa ha ha. Yesh. Twisted Evil

crow-kun wrote:
Seriously people seem to have pretty bad memories because the first anime had it's fair share of humor.

Yes it did. It was very funny. Anime, by its nature of being a cartoon, a comic based in real-time and with sound, should be funnier than manga.

But the FMA manga is 10 times as hysterical as the anime, and that is saying a lot because there were plenty of laughs in the show, and manga, you'd think, would be at a slight disadvantage comparatively with humor. To be blunt, I think this new series will be a riot if it keeps most of those jokes, because I nearly lost a lung guffawing at the manga compared to the anime which was...funny ha-ha at decent intervals, but not enough to nearly make me pee myself like the comics.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I sort of like the humor, it relieves some of the tension and adds a little quirkiness to the characters. The first series had plenty of it, too.

I'd like to give my full thoughts on the episode, but I'll just give a few quick ones, because I'm waiting to watch it on Funimation's website before I really get into it here.

As a purely fanservice episode, I found it vastly entertaining, even though it spoiled some of the manga reveals, like Edward's automail and the skills of a certain character. It also showed a few characters that don't get introduced into well into the manga, but I guess they really wanted to jump start things with a lot of different visual effects, and for that, it was okay.

I do like them introducing Hughes so much earlier, because it makes what later occurs have so much more impact. I didn't realize how much I missed the character until I saw him in this episode. I love the bit where Al writes down Gracia's quishe on a list of foods to eat when he gets his body back, that was priceless.

Speaking of Alphonse, seeing him be bit more active made me smile. As much as I love the first series, he had few chances to really let loose in action, and it really looked like he was keeping up very well with his brother this time.

Isaac using his blood as a weapon made me wince, because it was so creepy, but pretty cool, too.

It looks like the next episode gets into some flashback material from the manga, chapters 23 and 24, I believe.

Romi Paku is still the best Edward Elric. Just the best.

Hm, it actually looks like I've gone and given most of my thoughts on this episode already!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I should have been more specific, you're right. I meant to say that the first 7 or 8 volumes of the original manga were action-heavy, very funny, and over-the-top melodramatically visceral, but did not have the dramatic maturity of the anime. For whatever reason, however, starting a little in volume 8 but mostly in volume 9 and onward, Arakawa's tone shifted. The manga was still funny and there are great action scenes, but her mastery over drama skyrocketed past heightened shonen shockjocking and into very tender mature pacing that rivaled the anime.

Well I still disagree with this Smile

Keep in mind that big things like spoiler[Hughes & Nina] were originally from the manga. And I would say those two moments are what fans will probably say are the most dramatic parts of the original anime series.

And in fact I think there are some tender/dramatic moments in the early part of the manga that did not make it to the anime that I am really looking forward to see in this adaption.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Well I still disagree with this Smile

Keep in mind that big things like spoiler[Hughes & Nina] were originally from the manga. And I would say those two moments are what fans will probably say are the most dramatic parts of the original anime series.

But those two dramatic moments were done far better in the anime: spoiler[Nina's death happened in the same chapter she was introduced in, whereas the anime gave her two episodes before buying it, allowing a less rushed feel to her demise. Hughes felt like more of a cameo character in the manga, so his death had less of an emotional impact, compared to the anime where his additional scenes helped put him more firmly into the main cast, thus making his death more painful (not to mention Ed seeing Hughes' waving spirit was filler, but insanely effective, like a final twist of the knife). Don't get me wrong, FMA is my favorite manga, but the early parts are fairly weak in areas, and the social commentary (as well as leaning more towards a "grey vs. grey" morality as opposed to the manga's clear-cut view of "good vs. evil") of the first anime makes me elevate it slightly above the manga, as well as improving the early parts of the manga like I said.]

As for the original anime not adapting certain parts of the early part of the manga, I can't think of any. Until the manga hit about Vol. 6-7, the differences between the manga and first anime were very few, and all the emotional moments in the early stages were adapted.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I still disagree that the anime was more dramatic than the manga. Yes certain characters were around for longer and that might have emotionally affected you more but the idea behind these moments were still Arakawa's not the anime writers.

Quote:

As for the original anime not adapting certain parts of the early part of the manga, I can't think of any. Until the manga hit about Vol. 6-7, the differences between the manga and first anime were very few, and all the emotional moments in the early stages were adapted.

There were plenty of differences. One major one I can think of is the whole spoiler[Al believing he was never human and had fake memories. Yes this was in the anime but the resolution and how it played out were completely different in the manga]. This was in volume 4. So it's not so much that things were left out it's more that things were changed and I personally prefer how the manga did things in many instances. And I am looking forward to seeing the anime adapt these scenes the way they are in the manga this time around.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I enjoy the manga and the first series equally, though they're different. Still, let's argue less about the differences between the first series and the manga and talk more about the second series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank you, dd85. I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it. Those two events were brilliant ideas for emotional gutbusting, but the tone and timing are completely different between the anime and manga. The manga is all about making you jerk in surprise and quiver, what I called "shockjocking," while the anime gives you more breathing room, a very slow and deliberate attachment to both characters and an engrossing slow release when the inevitable crashes down. I may have to get long-winded to demonstrate the difference.

When we first meet spoiler[Nina in the manga, we know we're being set up for some exposition revelation. The Elrics meet her and learn a lot about her father in one chapter, so it's all we can think about, and furthermore, Tucker is extremely creepy from the get-go. There's about ten pages between "Hi, I'm Nina!" and "Look. A talking chimera." The revelation that that the chimera is Nina is blocked out in harsh lines and heavy inking, lots of blood and screaming, and it's over extremely fast, example made.]

In the anime, spoiler[the Elrics stay with the Tuckers and the story isn't really about the Tuckers for an episode. We just get the feeling Shou is a pretty nice person with a few closet skeletons, and Nina and the dog are adorable, but we have no idea that the next episode is going to be about them and that they're going to be tortured and killed by the pretty nice man we've just met. In fact, the warm family atmosphere between all of them is kept up right until we see Nina's letter in the ashtray. Then there's only five minutes between that and the blow we never see coming, which is focused more on the conversations between all of them than a lot of punching people in the face.]

As for spoiler[Hughes in the manga, he's entirely a comedic relief man and a very small role until the slightly warm moment we get with his family which is, of course, one chapter before he is killed. It's like Arakawa tried to warm you up to him and give him something to lose right before she used him as a plot device to let you know that the homunculi were tied directly to the military campaign in some way. Then the actual event lasts four or six pages. Hughes rushes to a phone, tries to call Roy, spots Envy, and gets shot with an abrupt "Oh my god--!" Example made, motivation created for Ed and Roy to change course in their missions.]

The anime not only builds far more spoiler[episodes with Hughes in them, but sets up emotional connections with his family right up front in episode 6, continuing the comforting interludes until a peak in episode 23 when Hughes builds new depth with the Elrics and also Winry. Then the episode where he dies is spent entirely on his character and his relationship with Roy, developing a reason for why Roy wouldn't answer the phone besides coincidence, developing depth. Hughes' death itself is more cathartic, too, just in how it's paced and how more is revealed about the other characters through it. It's a great place to break the show halfway because the comforting support and mediator for the Elrics, Mustang, and even the audience has just been murdered. Huge difference between the two.]

By the way, you know, there's nothing wrong with pulp angst melodrama. I love Yu Yu Hakusho, in fact I'm watching it right now: the one where spoiler[Sensui kills Yusuke,] and it's a really great episode. But there's a difference between that kind of raw screamy drama and something a bit more like Gankutsuou or even Berserk, both of which I mention because they are also explicit and disturbing not for pure adrenaline shock value, but because, like the FMA anime, they're playing with moral ambiguity and emotional delicacy, the difference writing-wise between a bullet to the gut and a slowly twisting knife, although both have their merits, one is a bit more captivating and sophisticated. (Wow, that sounded incredibly incredibly eeeeevil. Shocked Sorry.)

EDIT: Okay, sorry, I'll just talk about the second series now. I really like to talk about writing and storytelling approaches, so I have a little too much fun with all that sometimes.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I love Yu Yu Hakusho too for what it is worth but I don't think the FMA manga is or was ever like it in tone. I will say the first volume of the manga was a bit more comedic in tone, mainly because this was a set up volume but the rest of the volumes had their fair share of both comedy and drama. And no not the kind you find in Yu Yu Hakusho.

And I am only "defending" the manga (I understand you like the manga JesuOtaku I just don't know what other term to use but defend) because the 2nd anime is said to follow it. For those who are unfamiliar with the manga comparing the early volumes to Yu Yu Hakusho or saying there is a lot of silly action scenes but lack of sophistication might give people in my opinion the wrong idea about what to expect from this series.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
Guys this first episode was clearly just an ice breaker, chill out. Wink

Haha. Laughing Pun intended?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I have to say that this kind of analyzing and dispute over it is unavoidable. Anything that gets a continuation that isn't necessary is going to be under the microscope. It's got to measure up or it's going to get ran over by the fans, that's how it is. This kind of response is good. The creators obviously don't want this kind of reaction, so they're going to try harder to make sure people like it. And then if the people like it then it's going to get sold. The market works and everyone's happy.

To be honest, I don't think the first episode is really is leaving me with the sweetest taste in my mouth. I'm kind of disappointed, but not surprised. I'm assuming though that it will shape up soon into something better. Right now it's pretty forgettable. I remember after the first episode of FMA I was hooked, I'm not really getting the same feeling from Brotherhood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
^ Part of the reason may be that they are trying too hard. Hopefully they understand that for FMA story is more important than action, and shape up. We'll see in the next few eps, I guess.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
crow-kun wrote:
Guys this first episode was clearly just an ice breaker, chill out. Wink

Haha. Laughing Pun intended?
Of course. my biggest disappointment in discussions of this episode is the lack of ice puns. Very Happy
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's my though exactly. It seemed like they were trying to hard to throw what they thought the fans wanted out there for them. But it ended up coming off as them trying to pander to us with over used jokes, and what not. Personally the jokes in the series annoy me, so I'm hoping they lay off those a little and work more on the drama and action. It's the story that I love, not the short jokes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 64