• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! Season 2 Blu-Ray Set 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Solid review as always, Carl. I see a lot of hate in these comments for this show and it bothers me. If you don't like slice of life, don't watch it.
notazaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
Reviewers need to be as objective as possible when giving their judgement of something. Saying you enjoyed something more than something else is not really saying anything about either because it is too subjective.

I’m satisfied with a review as long as the reviewer can effectively communicate why he/she felt the way they did about what they’re reviewing. I think Carl did a great job of doing that here. Ultimately I care more about whether a reviewer supports the argument they are making rather than whether they are being “objective” or “subjective”.
Rainrix wrote:
If you don't consider yourself a reviewer or at least able to view things SOMEWHAT objectively, you should not voice your opinions.

Again see what I said above, but really isn't this just a way of shutting up those that don't agree with you.
Rainrix wrote:
Oh well, my words are probably falling on deaf ears anyway. It's just unfortunate to see how empty anime has become (for the most part).

You’ll always be able to find both frivolous and more substantive material no matter where you look. If stuff like K-ON! is not your thing, keep looking.
Rainrix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger's review is unbalanced. He says that the show is mundane, that it is pure and sugary escapism. Then he gives the Story a B+. If he wanted to present a balanced view of the show, he would have given the non-existent story an F or D and the visuals and music A's (since this seems to be where the creators focused all their loving attention).
This would have landed the show overall in the C range, average. All the nice cuteness and heartwarming escapism should not have overridden the objective fact that there is little to no story.
Or maybe there needs to be a new rating category specifically for anime produced after 2005, heartwarmingness. That would even things out.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
Carl Kimlinger's review is unbalanced. He says that the show is mundane, that it is pure and sugary escapism. Then he gives the Story a B+. If he wanted to present a balanced view of the show, he would have given the non-existent story an F or D and the visuals and music A's (since this seems to be where the creators focused all their loving attention).

If he wanted to present a "balanced view" for you he would have given the story an F or D. There was a story. Was it an intricate plot like Ghost in the Shell, for example? No. Was there a story that fit this particular show like a snug, fluffy glove? Absolutely.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
but I felt it didn't give the series' flaws enough - or, indeed, any - consideration.

Flaws such as...?

I'm actually curious, within its genre, K-On!! is about the pinnacle. What flaws, considering the kind of show it is and what it set out to accomplish, would you have liked addressed?

The main flaw I can perceive in K-On! is that the characters are a far cry from convincing and natural. They're constructed at least as much as the characters in the average bishoujo game to appeal to moe fetishes. The reviews for the first season of Clannad - the Blu-Ray one written also by Carl - are positive but address the artificial, 'manipulative' (to borrow a term used by reviewers) nature of the series and its characters. Skill of construction is important - when a character's role is to be an object of moe fetishism, few can do so 'better' than Clannad or K-On! - but effectiveness does not equal brilliance. Yoshika from Strike Witches is, within the series, an effective representation of the ideal of protecting others, as well as being cute and earnest and so on, but her characterisation is lacking by objective standards.

Comparing K-On! to Yuruyuri as Carl did in his review of the latter, I fail to see how only one series "doesn't have characters, it has types—purloined from the collective otaku consciousness and given only cursory tweaks". This is exactly how I would describe both casts. The difference is that in K-On! we are supposed to become friends with empty character archetypes. Having watched both seasons and the film of K-On!, I'm not confident I could describe Mugi or Mio's personalities without rewatching for research. Yui - Hirasawa, not Funami - manages to escape this category by rigorous, consistent application of acting as dumb as possible - which brings me to my next point.

Another flaw that's more to do with the target audience is how mind-numbingly stupid the main cast is. Relaxation and escapism may be the focus, but that doesn't entail characters who are so utterly unintelligent to never register a single blip on the viewer's intelligence radar. In the same way that a series full of ineffectual, emotionally-ruled idiotic women would be flawed in that aspect - say, Death Note - K-On!'s lack of intelligent males does not make its presentation of near-mentally retarded young girls as ideal, inoffensive archetypes any less lacking.

Most of the other aspects of the series I would criticise are, conveniently, rather subjective, or can even be argued to be the "whole point" of the series. What I would criticise as uninspired blandness can be said to be the purpose of the series: escapism (I'd thought that the purpose was entertainment, not lulling the viewer into submission, but that's just my opinion. I had furthermore held the opinion that escapism was possible with energy, activity, plot; but I'm probably mistaken). This portion of the series contains a more focused plot than the rest, but then that's "not the point", anyway. Realism is, again, not the point.

"So, to sum up: no purpose, no substance, and no characters." This closes out the assessment of Yuruyuri, leaving only the humour to be addressed (and, naturally, since the reviewer doesn't find the show funny, it isn't. I'd say the humour in K-On! - and it is classified as a comedy on ANN - is lacking, but that's only my view). The gorgeous animation and detail in K-On!! obscure the lack of substance, and the purpose exists only in this third of the series, granting the subject matter a reprieve from it, in a way. In regards to characters, the fairest thing I can honestly say is that they're more endearingly dopey than most. Phrased in a way that reflects my honest opinion, they're the same - but dumber - than every other mindless slice of life cast.

Kyoto Animation has done a superb job of dressing up, framing, lighting and directing a group of empty husks, subscribing to wonderful ideals they do not earn, in a wonderfully artistic job of polishing the turd.
notazaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:

I think it’s you who is not providing a balanced view of what Carl said. Yes he does say it’s escapism, but he also talks about how the story, yes there is one, has substance and is actually quite moving and well done especially in these episodes.
From the review,
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Eventually, though, we have to leave. And so do the girls. High school must end and college must start and the girls must move on with their lives. Therein lays this set's brilliance. It's a long and deeply moving goodbye to friends that we've grown unexpectedly close to. Unlike the previous set, these episodes don't blindside with unexpected jolts of substance; they build deliberately, with care and forethought, to discrete emotional peaks.

Reading that I can understand why Carl would give the story a B+. But those letter grades are not an exact science. It's subjective. One person's B is another's C, etc. But I feel Carl did explain why he rated the story the way he did. A B+ seems reasonable based on what he wrote.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:

Slice of Life needs to die already.

People have been saying that since the heydays of Seinfeld. Don't think it's gonna change soon. Laughing
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Rainrix wrote:

Slice of Life needs to die already.

People have been saying that since the heydays of Seinfeld. Don't think it's gonna change soon. Laughing

Seinfeld was awesome.

Anyway, on the continuing trolls of Rainrix, who is making his/her opinion well known and ignoring anyone else, right or wrong.

Can we move along, please?

You disagree. I get it. It's not going to change anything. For the record, I'd give that disk set an A-.

You disagree with more than the review, but the process of reviewing. Got that too. You pretty much gave your own review, got that too.

Haters gotta hate. Got that too.

Anyway, Carl - loved the review, I would love to see a bit more of what you thought of the transfer quality of the Blu Ray. Glad to see the review included details on disk content.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I often feel sorry for the people who are unable to enjoy shows like this, particularly the people that feel that the industry is dying. I think that such people condition themselves to be unable to enjoy anything that doesn't reach their ideal, and refuse to adjust to anything else. Kind of like those people who listen to nothing but heavy metal (or any other specific genre), and gag when they hear other music.

I really liked K-On, I only read a couple of paragraphs of the review, but I shared Carl's sentiments entirely.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet wrote:
I often feel sorry for the people who are unable to enjoy shows like this, particularly the people that feel that the industry is dying. I think that such people condition themselves to be unable to enjoy anything that doesn't reach their ideal, and refuse to adjust to anything else. Kind of like those people who listen to nothing but heavy metal (or any other specific genre), and gag when they hear other music.

Your reference to 'shows like this' seems to imply that all slice of life shows are the same or that it's not possible to like some but not others. Slice of life is one of my favourite genres, but K-On! is one of my least favourite series.
I'm also curious as to which genres of music you listen to.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
Solid review as always, Carl. I see a lot of hate in these comments for this show and it bothers me. If you don't like slice of life, don't watch it.

It is possible to like slice of life shows but still hate K-ON. K-ON is not the end all be all of SoL. I didn't like the characters in K-ON, so I couldn't get into it. I don't care about a light or lack of plot, if the characters annoy me, then it's game over.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Why do we have to define K-ON! at all? If so, I didn't find it very slice of life. Yes, the characters were unreal. They didn't behave like real people. That's part of the charm. If anything, K-ON! is a fairy tale, where there are four (five?) Princesses who move on to other kingdoms after the credits roll. It's a place where every problem is sidestepped with sweets and resolutions to conflict are found in friendship. And it tells these simple stories gloriously, though some of the most awe inspiring animation KyoAni has created. Animation that doesn't always focus on the big breath-taking action scenes, but takes time to notice wiggling fingers or shifting feet.

That must be why, when I show this to friends, they are captivated. It's just a sigh of relief, without having to put much thought into it. It's a little peak into a fantasy, so we can leave real life behind for a while.

Is it for everyone? No. But you'd have to be pretty darn cynical not to at least smile at it.

Thank you, Carl, for expressing exactly what's right with this show. It was, appropriately, full of personality and every bit as exuberant and animated as some of the girls in K-ON! can be. Which is why I'm emailing it to all my friends who also enjoyed the show. Keep up the great work, bro.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Hellraiser to catch up on.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
torinostu351 wrote:
Why do we have to define K-ON! at all? If so, I didn't find it very slice of life. Yes, the characters were unreal. They didn't behave like real people. That's part of the charm. If anything, K-ON! is a fairy tale, where there are four (five?) Princesses who move on to other kingdoms after the credits roll.

Giving us Disney redux! Laughing

torinostu351 wrote:

It's a place where every problem is sidestepped with sweets and resolutions to conflict are found in friendship.

Or is it friendship is magic?............... Strawberry Shortcake?
khaos1019

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
The Aria seasons were also good examples of escapism done extremely well. Without spoiling anything, by the time you got to The Origination, you were completely invested in the characters and the world they inhabited despite how implausible the purity of the world and characters seemed. And I've yet to find a series that I was more emotionally invested in. Maybe K-On! can rise to the challenge. I've never really given it a chance, but I think I'm going to change that.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't give a rat's ass about you K-On! haters-to paraphrase-if you don't f******g like it-THEN DON'T WATCH IT!! I like it-yes, it has flaws but what show doesn't? Aria-which is #6 on my list of all time favorite anime is a SOL show too. Isn't life brutal enough as it is without having to watch shows that reflect that aspect of it? Hell no-I like to watch anime to escape-not to be reminded of everyday shit-and K-On! does an admirable job of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3