• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darklordchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
darklordchris wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Most people who are complaining are probably watching it in regular Standard Def. It looks all the same and really can't tell the detail from the original DVD cut. If you watch it in HD a lot of it looks much better much more vibrant color cleaner animation and the detail in a lot of the minor details just look better over all.
The biggest complaint i have is the opening and ending song. What horrible music for one of the largest anime shows in history. They should have just kept to original music and animation for the open/ending themes.

that brings back memories. do you think its as bad as the yu yu hakusho music?

Since I have been watching this for a while now the new opening theme song kind of grown on me, but I have a love for the original so much more. Also I really liked the opening to Yu Yu Hakusho so I'm not the person to ask.

The new soundtrack to DB Kai is better but the original does have some charm to for nostalgic reasons and DB was a big part of my teens. The pacing from the later episodes from what I've seen are are really much better especially the whole Namek/Freeza Saga.

hmmm, maybe its just me then. but anyway i agree. the new music played in the series is awesomely epic and i am totally cool with it, but i miss a couple of the dubs tunes. the more literal translation is interesting to. it really makes it sound a lot more like Shōnen and like Animeish...if that makes sense
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
darklordchris wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
darklordchris wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Most people who are complaining are probably watching it in regular Standard Def. It looks all the same and really can't tell the detail from the original DVD cut. If you watch it in HD a lot of it looks much better much more vibrant color cleaner animation and the detail in a lot of the minor details just look better over all.
The biggest complaint i have is the opening and ending song. What horrible music for one of the largest anime shows in history. They should have just kept to original music and animation for the open/ending themes.

Since I have been watching this for a while now the new opening theme song kind of grown on me, but I have a love for the original so much more. Also I really liked the opening to Yu Yu Hakusho so I'm not the person to ask.

The new soundtrack to DB Kai is better but the original does have some charm to for nostalgic reasons and DB was a big part of my teens. The pacing from the later episodes from what I've seen are are really much better especially the whole Namek/Freeza Saga.

hmmm, maybe its just me then. but anyway i agree. the new music played in the series is awesomely epic and i am totally cool with it, but i miss a couple of the dubs tunes. the more literal translation is interesting to. it really makes it sound a lot more like Shōnen and like Animeish...if that makes sense

Well I love Yu Yu Hakusho and I really cant dis it much other then the last 15 episodes or so. I'm a fanoy when it comes to that anime so. Though the series does drop a bit after the Dark Turnament and the end of Younger Toguro. Though recently I rewatched it again for all the Fist of the North Star references.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darklordchris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
darklordchris wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
darklordchris wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

Well I love Yu Yu Hakusho and I really can't dis it much other then the last 15 episodes or so. I'm a fanoy when it comes to that anime so. Though the series does drop a bit after the Dark Turnament and the end of Younger Toguro. Though recently I rewatched it again for all the Fist of the North Star references.

i don't know what happens. after cartoon network put it on toonami and then removed it (i assume because they played unreedited episodes with profanity in them) i never got to see the series much after he's fighting the one guy in a cave who i believe is trying to open a gate way to hell. like no ...it was totally my favorite anime on adult swim, and the series music was great, i just didn't like the theme much.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That stuff was garbage. I don't miss it at all.

Yeah I've been in this debate before. The more conservative fans usually hate the music for being pop techno rock music that doesn't fit at all with the way DBZ is originally intended. I am a huge Falcouner music fan but even looking at it completely objectively, there are at least 2 or 3 Falcouner tracks you have to admit are pretty catchy. I would love to see a few in Kai although it is certain they won't.

Mystic Gohan theme.

The Super Saiyan 3 Power up

Vegeta vs. Frieza

The Falcouner music created a kind of spacey-epic kind feel for DBZ. And there were so much variety. There were seperate pieces of music for individual characters; even for individual fight scenes. Looking back, I wonder if DBZ would have been the phenomenon it was in the USA had Funimation kept the original Japanese soundtrack....
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
Looking back, I wonder if DBZ would have been the phenomenon it was in the USA had Funimation kept the original Japanese soundtrack....

Well, first, DBZ is just as popular in countries where they never replaced the music, and it probably would still have been as popular here because it was unique among action cartoons that aired when it did here. I don't really think it would have mattered what sort of music played in the background to the viewers watching it on TV.

Second, that replacement music just feels so artificial to me compared to Kikuchi or Yamamoto's scores, which use orchestral sound to create this natural feeling. I can tolerate, even enjoy, some of Nathan Johnson's pieces for the redubbed seasons 1 & 2 of the dub, but Faulconer's stuff makes me want to vomit.

Even that aside, the practice of replacement music is disrespectful to the material and spits in the face of the studio that made the product. If a licensor is going to change the music, they shouldn't bother licensing the show in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
but Faulconer's stuff makes me want to vomit.

Okay, overall it may not have fit DBZ. But it had it's moments. And when those moments arrived, my God they were epic beyond words.

I mean Penguin Truth..You can't possibly not love this theme right here for instance.

I mean come on; no amount of orchestra can top that.

You would have to like have to have a heart of ice not to at least acknowledge the awesomeness of atleast a few Falcouner tracks. When he got it right, he hit the nail right on the head.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Eh, it was good for Faulconer. Same with the SSJ3 music.

But I get chills when I hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPci4mfFhAU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darklordchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
That stuff was garbage. I don't miss it at all.

Yeah I've been in this debate before. The more conservative fans usually hate the music for being pop techno rock music that doesn't fit at all with the way DBZ is originally intended. I am a huge Falcouner music fan but even looking at it completely objectively, there are at least 2 or 3 Falcouner tracks you have to admit are pretty catchy. I would love to see a few in Kai although it is certain they won't.

Mystic Gohan theme.

The Super Saiyan 3 Power up

Vegeta vs. Frieza

The Falcouner music created a kind of spacey-epic kind feel for DBZ. And there were so much variety. There were seperate pieces of music for individual characters; even for individual fight scenes. Looking back, I wonder if DBZ would have been the phenomenon it was in the USA had Funimation kept the original Japanese soundtrack....

if were going to debate the dub music let use stop and relive one of the most epic parts of dragonballz on cartoon network

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUGUysgqNQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJBKz_ERPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffsWfKBsQ88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQQA24ibrQ
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
darklordchris wrote:
if were going to debate the dub music let use stop and relive one of the most epic parts of dragonballz on cartoon network

Haha exactly; you are not going to get that kind of intensity with that original orchestrated score. I can't find it, but it would be appreciated it someone linked the Subbed version of that same scene to compare.

Now when Kai gets to the Buu saga of Goku's SSJ3 Transformation I am sure there will be some kind of backlash. I am sure on a Youtube clip of it, you will see comments saying the original was better; unless Kai can somehow outdo the Falcouner version which I find unlikely.

They have already *arguably* botched the first SSJ transformation according to a lot of people with a generically orchestrated track.

I've been wrong before though!
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
I hope that it's all right to use this despite the age of the last posting, since it's the official thread. In fact, it's the only official thread on any Dragon Ball series that I could find. I've been watching Dragon Ball Z Kai, and it has brought to mind a few points I would like to ask about.

Ironically enough, I recently saw that Bruce Faulconer sells CD compilations to compliment the series. Honestly, I was a bit curious how he was chosen, though I do want to say that I am a bit of an anomaly because I've equally enjoyed watching the series with the original music and the Faulconer score. Does anyone else have this 'equal opportunity' view of the music in Dragon Ball Z?

Speaking of Dragon Ball in general, Kai has given me an opportunity to go back and compare the original 1986 version of Dragon Ball with DBZ, and I've noticed that at least the first few episodes of the series almost have the feel of some classic Hannah Barbara cartoons. This is especially true of the saber-toothed tiger in the first episode of that show, which looks to be torn right from one of those sorts of shows. That isn't something that we'd ever see in Dragon Ball Z. Is there any particular reason for this?

Thank you!
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
DB overlay is much lighter than DBZ. Unfortunately, the main part of the humor (sometimes quite clever) was missed during the series, along with many other things )characters and common sense)
BD was a history of trouble-maker kid training to be the best. The enemies, even those really strong were supposed mostly to be funny, not scary to kids watching. In fact, just the last arc must be taken as a real threat to the world, while others are nothing that can't be defeated with protagonist's powers.
In DBZ with all "saving the universe" thing is supposed to be more serious. On the other hand as the story goes by it seems more and more fatigue. Watching especially Boo arc I had an impression that creator didn't know what to do to or had a bet about the number of plot twists he can make before reader will trow manga away.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
That whole Faulconer thing seemed like it was just slapped together back in 2000. They really seemed to hit and miss with everything they did back then. You look at it now and say, "The whole Funimation thing was planned, dude. I'll tell you, it was not. Heh. That whole situation was all over the damn place.

I'm shocked all the T.V. fan's of DBZ actually cared enough to find out who the dude was.

And about the comparison thing, try to check out Dr. Slump. Toriyama's big hit before Dragonball came out. It's just overlap of his adolescent humor that evolved into other things. Reflecting the movies and situations that were going on around him in the late 80's.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
I've certainly noticed the humor present in early Dragon Ball monsters. It's hard to take Emperor Pilaf seriously at all, and Yamcha quickly becomes a hero. I found Yamcha's character in the original so much more interesting and varied by the way. He's relegated to a second tier character by the time of Dragon Ball Z. So do you feel that the lighter overlay in Dragon Ball might be what I'm noticing as a throwback to classic animation?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 99

Well that was interesting; the Otherworld Martial Arts Tournament was skipped. I'll miss Pikkon but it really was a filler arc that offered little to the main plot. I also liked how the first two episodes (essentially) of the Great Saiyaman arc were condensed into just one.

So after just one episode we're already seven episodes through the epic and near-endless portion of the story that is the Buu Saga. If ever there was a piece of DBZ that needed the Kai treatment it was this one.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
If there was ever a piece of Dragonball Z that never should never have happened in the first place, it was the Buu Saga.

Fortunately, for those of you who wanted it, it's already airing.

Last edited by Gatherum on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5