• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eden of the East -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
copypasta from aod

Okay this was just wonderful and to me was the most impressive first episode of the season. Animation was very nice as well as having some detailed backgrounds, music was definitely fitting, loved the unique presentation of the OP and ED and the songs were nice too.

The interplay between the two leads was also great, just charming and I loved the humor they interjected throughout. Vocal work was terrific coming from two relatively newcomers to the industry, this could be the breakout roles for both of them. I found the story rather intriguing too and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out over the next 10 episodes.

Production I.G hit the ball out of the park with this show.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone get how "Akira" spoiler[convinced that man to give away his pants in the middle of the street?] Smile

As much as it is beautiful, the show is osbolete fun, totally out of the ordinary and in unpexpected way, although registers dark themes left and right. spoiler[Akira didn't even blink realising he was either naked, or with a memory loss, or waving a gun in front of the White House and holding a cell phone with possible mind controlling function, toppled with his seemingly "natural" talent for lying and improvising].

Oh, I'll be watching this!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:
Did anyone get how "Akira" spoiler[convinced that man to give away his pants in the middle of the street?] Smile

Boy, I'd like an answer to that one, too. Twisted Evil

This is going to be one of the trio of series I'm most likely to watch out. (Valkyria Chronicles and Guin Saga being the other ones, though I haven't entirely ruled out a couple of others.) I wouldn't say it's the most impressive first episode of this new season, but I definitely found a lot to like. The chemistry between Saki and Akira is surprisingly good, I liked that they actually used English where English should have been used, the artistry is great and distinctive, and using that Oasis song for the opener was a great choice. The closer's visuals were also very interesting, too.

This is one of the few first eps I've seen yet this season that I may actually rewatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gebs-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Just got done watching the first episode and it looks very promising. I loved the fact that we got some real English voice actors (after myself having just watched the butchery of the English language that was Black Lagoon) as well as the Taxi Driver and Bourne references. Bourne was definitely the first thing that came to mind when I saw the passports. There's not a whole lot to talk about other than that, however.

I absolutely loved the OP and would definitely say it's my favorite out of this season's shows. Also, I couldn't help but get a subtle SaiKano vibe after having watched the ED. While I'm sure the show won't go that route, I'm wondering if Akira's demolishing of the missile with a point of his finger has any relevance to what will come later on.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the first episode and I have to say wow! the OP was awesome and the episode as a whole was more than i was expecting it to be. i thought it was cool that he made movie references when going through his belongings and i too wonder how he got that man to give him the pants. I can't wait to see what happens over the next few episodes since he kept the phone with him and can call his secretary who apparently knows all about him and that his memory is wiped but cant tell him anything.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Great. This episode was just great. From the opening, where I tried to read the text and find out whether the text could come from East of Eden, while trying to ignore the beautiful animation and listening to the awesome opener by Oasis, to the ending, where I already knew the song would be great, where I could just admire the inventive use of CGI and... paper.
And, oh, the episode in between. English VA's voicing English people. Signs with things other than "Production I.G." written on them. Character interactions. References to Taxi Driver and Bourne.
I'm so impressed, I can't even write something resembling a coherent post. Now I'm off watching the OP. Again.
Gebs-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the text in the OP, I'm thinking it's definitely foreshadowing what's to come. Here it is:

I saw you in Heaven
and heard of your glory
You saved our world from the fallen angels
I saw Messiah standing,
Standing before me with no words
Nothing but "Hope".
When we lost dread, a Demon was laughing
But now you are showing us wonder
Giving your love
With awe, down on my knees again
I've got to know you're the one,
The only one reveals the world

The King has come!
To lighten up our feet
The King has come!
With justice till the end
The King has come!
To save us from the dark
Who could ever doubt? We have faith

Let me walk with you when I'm lost in the wild
I know you always lead me to another Eden
Let me bless your name, O Lord, O Lord!
Your words will never fade away
Since we believe you're the light on earth
Reveals the world

I liked how they initially introduced Akira like Adam, ala being naked and ignorant. This combined with the imagery of the apple definitely have some biblical connotations. I couldn't find any exact matches in looking for a source, though.

Edit: Another thing to note about the OP text: If you look carefully, you'll catch a sentence saying that 12 people were selected in Japan by the "Selecao System" so it seems that whatever Akira is there are 11 others like him.

Last edited by Gebs- on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering where they got all those people with good english. I have to say this show seems amazing, At first the thought the art style was a bit strange but I got over it pretty much after the OP (In a strange twist of events Akria? seems a bit more attractive then saki Anime smallmouth ) there are also a lot of things that as Americans we can appreciate about the little touches that made things seem right and familiar( I've been to that area many times too) the references, the diversity in race and hair color among the Americans. That alone has me impressed not to say anything of the way the story seems to be going which is both epic and witty.

The end was great and I didn't expect t but now it just has me waiting to see how everything is connected. Also one thing I think we might get out of this show even though we might not expect it is a sincere feeling couple. No harem or shojo cliches to get caught in just them trying to make it through a situation that is obviously not going to be good. I would assume there will be a lot of back and forth between the countries though. You don't go thorough all that trouble for a one time thing. It will be an easy title to license.

I really like the interaction between the main characters. Did anyone notice that he's referring to her in a really personal way though?

Also the DVD release is going to be... interesting. I wonder if we've seen the last of the no pants dance. Or if akira is a Shin Chan fan
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode and I was really impressed! Also, I loved the fact that they used an Oasis track for the opening, and the animation was also very well done! Saki and Akira's exchanges were a lot of fun to watch - it'll be cool to see how their relationship progresses. I have no idea where this story is gunna go, but I can't wait to find out! I'll definitely be following this one!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. I have to say that it was very good. Seems to be the best series this season, maybe even of the year. I of course like the animation so far. And the opening and ending are good. I'm liking where the story is heading so far. The plot is already interesting and the characters are well done. It seems like it's going to be a very entertaining and well put together series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode earlier this afternoon. I LOVED it. I raved about it on my blog even (not much has truly impressed me this spring). Not gonna copy and paste what I said on my blog here though. I was very long-winded about it. Anime smile + sweatdrop

In a nutshell: Eden of the East easily tops Cross Game as the best new show this season. I'm very impressed with how much effort I.G put into bringing Washington, D.C. to life. I should know, because I lived there for 3+ years.

Very much looking forward to the remaining 10 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if 11 episodes is enough. I don't want anything to be rushed but then again there is a movie in the works. It could also be a season one.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Copypaste from another forum (ep 1 impressions):

"As promised, first impressions:

OP: Interesting style, although I don't have quite the reaction time to read all the text. It looked like a quote from some philoshphy or religious book or sth. The song is nothing special, but it's not bad and fits the show.

Graphics: It's I.G. Nuff said. I've never seen a show by I.G. that doesn't look good in its own way. We got some SD, but it didn't feel excessive or intrusive. Character animations look natural and lifelike. Felt more like a movie than animation, especially in how the "camera" followed the characters' movements at angles, as opposed to just panning.

Music: nothing outstanding, but nothing horrid. I'm sure it will pick up as the story speeds up, though.

Story: We didn't really get much beyond what was in the trailer (for those who saw it). We got some light comedy spoiler["maybe I was doing soething against local customs"] was my favourite line Anime smile, and a giant sharp hook that lures you into watching episode 2. As far as first episodes go, that is, imo, all you need. I wonder spoiler[what city they bomb next] Very Happy My prediction for the development is that spoiler[the "tabula rasa" guy will have the choice to pick sides as he recovers his lost identity, and a decision to make about the involvement of the heroine as they discover mutual feelings.] Sounds cliche as hell, but as lond as they tune down the romance and up the political & philisophical content, it should be fine. The spoiler["Japan is not able to do anything by itself"] line the heroine casually dropped sounded intriguing.

ED: YES! The last show I've seen to do anything nearly as original with the animation was Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. The song is nothing special though.

Random observations: The sign on the cellphone with the spinning weird phrase reminds me a lot of the Warau Otoko sign Smile Also, I wonder what "noblesse oblige" has to do with anything, we've seen it so much in one episode that it's almost like a tagline. I hope they'll use it for what I think they will, and make a connection to the whole US<->Japan plot.

This show is now my top priority, because, the hell, there's nothing much else to watch anyway."

PS Anyone know what the text from the OP that Gebs- posted is? Sounds like some christial hymn or something.
orangemilk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Great show, indeed. Somehow confusing Razz

For example...
Do you think it was intentional? http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/918/w87393423.png
I was interested in all those texts appearing in the opening, then it suddenly caught my attention. As I'm not native English speaker I'm not sure if it's not Old English or... something xD To me it seems just like... a weird typo Surprised
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The opening song for this show is amazing, I love the song and also the ending is very original with everything made out of paper. When it was almost the end and we sawspoiler[on the news japan being struck by a missile, I think it was the U.S. because of Morimi ( The girl with the pinkish hair ) tossed a penny at the white house and also they knew she was Japanese so..... and that's what I think]

This first episode was by far the most promising this spring that I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21