• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eden of the East -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

And they really overkilled the Johnny joke... It was funny for the first, second or third time, but once it crept up for the 1000th time it got a tad boring.

This is a pretty late response but I wanted to comment on this. Did you watch the show in dub? I just recently finished re-watching this show in dub and they seem to make the johnny joke/mention johnny a LOT more.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I finally watched this over the last several days in the Blu-Ray edition. I have to say it is absolutely stunning in its visuals. If you have the option of going with Blu-Ray by all means do so.

One side note about picture resolution. I watch my Blu-Rays on an iMac-27 since my wife dominates our main TV and she hates anime. Since Mac OS has no support for Blu-Ray, I have to rip the disc using a 3rd party program and an LG Blu-Ray USB drive. The end result is an H.264 movie file played in quicktime.

The end result brings out every detail in the original video in a 1920x1080 format. Let me tell you that they seemed to spare no expense in the artwork of this title. What makes it so real feeling are the tiny details that are usually tossed aside as unimportant. Things like the movie posters, details in the phone, or a computer screen in the background, or the extras that are moving and reacting to the scene. I have to resist the temptation to spend hours examining still frames.

As for the story: I would just like to ask where have you seen anything better for the genre? Sure I can find some gaps in the logic and unexplained things (why in hell do the NEETs all have to be naked?) and the significance of the wings and the number 20,000. Also the criteria that Mr. Outside used to get his players. What's better is the ability to deliver the unexpected, which Eden does. What is far better is the chemistry of the characters -- even the jealous guy is treated decently by the script.

My favorite minor goof was how in hell is the greatest phone hacker in the world not know that you can put a cell phone with a discharged battery on its charger cable and use it immediately? Jeez. spoiler[Anyway, I'm glad he survived he seems like a decent guy.]
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

And they really overkilled the Johnny joke... It was funny for the first, second or third time, but once it crept up for the 1000th time it got a tad boring.

This is a pretty late response but I wanted to comment on this. Did you watch the show in dub? I just recently finished re-watching this show in dub and they seem to make the johnny joke/mention johnny a LOT more.

Luckily for me I opted for the subs, and I still thought the joke was overemphasised. Like everytime they did not know what the characters should say, they thought "Here comes Johnyyyyyy!" (no reference to The Shining intended)

HaruhiToy wrote:
As for the story: I would just like to ask where have you seen anything better for the genre? (...) What's better is the ability to deliver the unexpected, which Eden does. What is far better is the chemistry of the characters -- even the jealous guy is treated decently by the script.

There is a thin line between imaginative and overdone. I like being surprised, but Eden was not nicely unpredictable, but pretentiously unpredictable. I honestly stopped caring at one point. The characters ended up shallow and never got a decent exposure, and although I liked the ending and random bits here and there, I thought the potential here got absolutely wasted by trying to stuff too much into those 11 eps.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
So, my Eden of the East DVD box set came in the mail today. The anime for me was a blind buy. I kept seeing information about it and I always thought it looked interesting. Without ever having seen any of it, I decided to buy it. I just got done watching the entire thing straight through. From episode 1, I was immediately hooked.

This was one of the best anime I've ever seen. It was visually stunning, it was constantly suspenseful, and I fell in love with every single character in the anime. The story was also incredibly complex and very interesting.

I was just wondering what your guys' thoughts on the anime was? I was also wondering how the movie(s) were? I'm really interested in seeing the movie that takes place after the series, because the one thing I didn't like about the series was that you never got to experience all of the Selecao or see Mr. Outside. I was hoping the movie might shed some light on more of the Selecao and more information about Mr. Outside.

Overall though, I have to say I was very impressed and very pleased with Eden of the East. A definite must see for anyone who hasn't yet.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Great show, but remember to check the series index, Ethan. It's got a pretty good thread already.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115995
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21