• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you an underground or mainstream fan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Odd question but I'll bite.

Pretty much none of my favourites are that obscure because they are all licensed. And I think all of them are fairly well-known too.

If I look at the Most Viewed list, the highest of series I would call a favourite (which generally means its something I own) is Trigun at #12.

However, I think it may be telling that none of the top ten are in my favourites (though I haven't actually seen all of FMA and I think if I finished it there is a good chance it would be up there). I'm generally not a fan of shounen or really into most Ghibli movies so the BIG mainstream hits are ones I don't generally watch. But I definitely am not watching anything that "underground."

Others on my favourite list in the top 50, if anyone cares, are: Azumanga Daioh (23), Ouran High School Host Club (26), Sailor Moon (40), Wolf's Rain (43), and Escaflowne (50).
kaydub

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, out of the 10 titles that I would probably consider my "favorites" at the moment, six of them reside in the top 150, three of them within the top 100, and one within the top 10 of the "Most Viewed" list here on ANN. Of the remaining four, only two are within the top 500 or even top 1000, though all are within the top 1500. Out of every title that I've finished, only one falls outside of the top 1500.

So if there are 5297 total titles and nearly everything I've seen falls within the top 1500, and most of it being within the top 1000, that means that everything that I've seen more or less falls within the top 1/3 and most of what I've seen falls within the top 1/5.

Guess that makes me a mainstream viewer.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Key wrote:
Case in point: Chrono Crusade was a very popular and well-known show in its day;

Key phrase is "in its day." It's currently widely ignored compared to long-running shounen anime.

I respect that everyone's going to have some disagreement but I don't think anyone in their right mind would say the series, nor any of the others I listed is on the same level of fandom as One Piece or Hetalia.

Key is right, the shows you listed are hardly underground. You are comparing them to the most popular anime shows, the super stars of anime. By that reasoning, almost every show is widely ignored in comparison to these long-running shounen anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

Key is right, the shows you listed are hardly underground.

I don't agree. If I ask people at anime conventions about those shows, a lot of them go "I've never heard of it".

And Nightwalker most certainly IS underground!
I bet ten people in this whole community have even heard its name. Rolling Eyes
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Aylinn wrote:

Key is right, the shows you listed are hardly underground.

I don't agree. If I ask people at anime conventions about those shows, a lot of them go "I've never heard of it".

And Nightwalker most certainly IS underground!
I bet ten people in this whole community have even heard its name. Rolling Eyes

That's irrelevant. Just because something is past its prime doesn't make it underground. Generally to be considered underground it'd have to be of limited appeal and exist outside the mainstream, otherwise pretty much everything would eventually be considered underground which renders the whole concept pointless. In most capacities where the term is used it is the subjects peak period that is considered when determining what is and is not underground.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wcsinn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
"underground" - as used by the Op means "outside the commercial mainstream", they tend to be small independent (and usually advant garde) film-makers, alternative musicians, or small independent (or self-publishing) print firms working outside the mainstream.

I'm aware of almost no anime that fits this definition, almost all anime (series, movies, and even OVAs) are made by established artists working for (or under) established studios.

I have said before, words have meaning - if you do not use them properly, according to their actual definitions, how can you expect anyone to know what you're talking about. Being obscure or unknown does not make something underground.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if something is "underground" or "mainstream", as long as it's good. Two of the best shows I've ever seen were Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (little talked-about despite its noitaminA heritage), and Death Note (very, very popular).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
I'm aware of almost no anime that fits this definition, almost all anime (series, movies, and even OVAs) are made by established artists working for (or under) established studios.

In Japan, that is true, but here in the U.S. that is not the case at all; in the U.S. virutally ALL of anime is underground.
hyogacisne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Mainstream an underground both. Mainstream to talk about anime with other otakus, and underground to satisfy my curiosity.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
Being obscure or unknown does not make something underground.

Uh, since when? I consider all three of those terms synonyms.

Quote:
Just because something is past its prime doesn't make it underground.

Cowboy Bebop and Eva are WAY past their primes but they're still insanely popular. This doesn't seem to be the case for other anime that are just as old. That's what I'm pointing out.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
My top two animes are Berserk and Utena, which are both pretty popular.
My #3 is Future Boy Conan. It's way past its prime, but the show was big in its time.

Then, my #4 is Kaiba... Who the hell else knows about that show?
wcsinn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Uh, since when? I consider all three of those terms synonyms.

I know there is no changing your mind, but I think I'll take Webster's definition of "underground" over yours.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
We could argue that history is a factor in what determines something to be mainstream or not, but then I bring up Dragonball, which has spent about the last twenty-five years of its life, both domestic and abroad, as mainstream. I think we need to throw popularity in there, determine what is mainstream based on how long the title in question has held mainstream-level popularity.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
EDIT:
Now that I look at the lists I think that they would not work for this because there is no "Least Viewed" list to balance the "Most Viewed.".

It fudges special characters in names, but I threw this together in under 15 minutes and don't feel like trying to fix encoding types and such: Least watched anime list.

Remove the "sort" or change its value to "high" to get the most watched.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Touma wrote:
EDIT:
Now that I look at the lists I think that they would not work for this because there is no "Least Viewed" list to balance the "Most Viewed.".

It fudges special characters in names, but I threw this together in under 15 minutes and don't feel like trying to fix encoding types and such: Least watched anime list.

Remove the "sort" or change its value to "high" to get the most watched.

Looks like all the anime hipsters are watching hentai then... just reading the first 25 titles makes me feel dirty Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3