• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you an underground or mainstream fan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Uh, since when? I consider all three of those terms synonyms.

I know there is no changing your mind, but I think I'll take Webster's definition of "underground" over yours.

That's unfortunate as my last rat ATE my hard copy Webster's. He chewed the "U" pages right off! Sad

........what, you think I'm joking? Anime hyper

Rats are great pets but they can really ruin your stuff. Sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
The short answer to your basic question is: I don't know and I really don't care.

I pick shows to watch based on the available information and the type of shows I like. If I'm right I keep watching, if not, not. Wether a show is "main stream" by your defination or others is something I would know only by accident, that is where the don't care part comes in.

As others have pointed out, liking any anime is pretty much an underground hobby.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Touma wrote:
EDIT:
Now that I look at the lists I think that they would not work for this because there is no "Least Viewed" list to balance the "Most Viewed.".

It fudges special characters in names, but I threw this together in under 15 minutes and don't feel like trying to fix encoding types and such: Least watched anime list.

Remove the "sort" or change its value to "high" to get the most watched.

Thank you for doing that. I saved the URL and will give it more attention later, but for now I just looked at the first fifty titles.
Of those there are only three that I have even heard of, and they are all new.
I think that the number of views is not a good indicator of popularity because it does not compensate for the age of the show. A very old show will naturally have more views than a completely new show, all other things being equal.

Thanks again for the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
Rhyono wrote:
Touma wrote:
EDIT:
Now that I look at the lists I think that they would not work for this because there is no "Least Viewed" list to balance the "Most Viewed.".

It fudges special characters in names, but I threw this together in under 15 minutes and don't feel like trying to fix encoding types and such: Least watched anime list.

Remove the "sort" or change its value to "high" to get the most watched.

Looks like all the anime hipsters are watching hentai then... just reading the first 25 titles makes me feel dirty Embarassed

With adult material, I'm sure a lot more people have seem some of those, they just don't want to admit they have or can't figure out how to rate them. Laughing

A lot of those sound familiar, some of them were actually pretty good.
anijunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
As Key already pointed out: this discussion is pointless.

Mainstream or Underground has nothing to do with popularity, obscurity or the number of sales.
It has to do with contents, subject matter. Some shows may not be your cup of tea, but that does not make it not Mainstream.

I would think a show like Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show (also known as Midori) is Underground. The show is AFAIK prohibited in Japan itself.

If a show is really off beat to the average story line, then you may call it Underground, but that, too, is still a matter of opinion.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
anijunk wrote:
I would think a show like Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show (also known as Midori) is Underground. The show is AFAIK prohibited in Japan itself.

This is pretty much the only thing I've ever seen that I would classify as underground, being that its made by just one dude with no external financing and based on a pretty filthy guro comic.

The convenience and coverage of media distribution has made everything mainstream in a way, there are no secrets or surprises any more in anime. Manga is where you tend to find all the truly "underground" crazy bizarre shit simply by virtues of the sheer amount of titles and low barrier of entry for production. It never ceases to amaze me what's out there.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
@Touma I fixed the encoding so it should load names correctly now. Clicking the name will direct you to that anime's page.

Last edited by Rhyono on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Mainstream where? Underground where?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
If we divide "underground" by commercial and non-commercial, there's still plenty of doujin anime out there. I'd rather argue on the basis of people knowing about it, or if they've ever known about to begin with. Like I stated earlier, you have hundreds of OVAs made in the 80s and 90s that would be equivalent of low quality D-Grade horror films that no one but junkies and reviewers like James Rolfe or Brad Jones seek out, but the process of animation regardless of budget can still make an interesting piece of work. Whereas a no-budget shot-on-video slasher flick will always look bad.

Compared to any given new anime series which can gain tens of thousands of viewers, these things are more than buried due to the licensing flood gates being closed at the time, language barrier, and some never made the jump to even DVD. Random things are being dug up by devoted fansub groups, but they'll still never be mildly popular, even among people who enjoy old anime.
shilisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
I love anime.I love all animes that interest me.No matter it is mainstream or underground.Some underground animes have excellent plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3