• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Anime Characters and why? (forum contribution).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellfire104

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
My podcast is doing a top 100 (maybe 50) countdown of people's favorite anime characters. I am reaching out to anime forums across the web to get peoples favorite anime character submissions.

To nominate, please just write the 10 characters you would like to nominate and the series from which they originate. Please also include a short reason why you have nominated the character. They can be any characters, new or old. If you nominate more than 10, I'll likely just take the first 10.

This will be fun! I'll keep you posted on details.

Thanks! Very Happy

Last edited by hellfire104 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I will remind people that they need to say why they like the characters they nominate, otherwise Bad Things will happen.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Not Bad, just Sad.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
It won't matter if they do or don't if I can't get people to make any nominations.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Across all forums I have 224 votes for a total of 140 different characters so it is getting interesting!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:
It won't matter if they do or don't if I can't get people to make any nominations.

Actually, it does matter. If people just start posting lists without annotating them then this thread gets locked very quickly, since we have strict forum rules about "listing." All of our regulars know that, which may be part of the reason why you haven't had listed contributed yet.

Right now I'm typing this up while on break from work and so don't have a lot of time, so later in the day I might contribute a properly-annotated list. I've always had a few favorites in mind but don't think I've ever tried to make a "Top 10" list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I guess I'm just not sure what is meant my properly annotated?
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
If someone intends to post submissions, they have to explain their reasoning. A simple list like "1. Sasuke 2. Ichigo 3. Luffy" doesn't fly here, you have to give reasons. It doesn't really affect you so much, but it does affect anyone who intends to post (like myself, who can't take the time to draw up a list right now).
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok I see that its against the rules. I'm getting plenty of nominations, (over 500 in 1 day) from other forums. I still don't really see why lists would be outlawed. It's the only forum with that rule. Regardless, thank you for your time.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:
I still don't really see why lists would be outlawed. It's the only forum with that rule.

This is a discussion board. If we had 50 threads that asked "what's your favorite [whatever]" and they all end up looking like this:

[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]
[something]

How the hell is that a discussion? It doesn't promote any kind of intelligent thought, it's just a list of personal preferences, and it's boring. But if you put a reason for each, even if it's just a simple sentence or two, then it might get people thinking. And that's where the discussing starts (or at least has the chance for it, more so than a simple list, anyway).
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
You will notice that I modified my original post.

Ok. I understand your reason. Though I contest that this is an anime message board and not a philosophy board. By it's nature, 90% of especially today's anime isn't suitable for a discussion of "intellectual thought". Also, this rule leads essentially to the judgment call of what is and isn't "intellectual". I realize that you're the moderator and you're the boss but that is just how it looks to me.

I don't see any harm in people expressing their opinions on something, especially when the final product of 500 people's input (which is what I'm going for, pulling from many forums) will yield something interesting like a list of today's most loved characters across all genres and decades.

For example, you might learn that 90% of the most frequent responses came from anime in the last 5 years, OR that 90% of them came from harem anime.

It's basically a survey which has been used for centuries to gather such information from a population. I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just saying.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just saying.

You may want to stop "just saying" if you want to get actual responses here because right now I'm inclined to ignore the thread out of spite. There is a reason this is the only anime board I frequent and it is because people actually have to have intelligent (or at least attempts at intelligent) conversations here.

Anyway, back OT, do you require everyone to nominate ten characters? I know my top two but I've never tried going further than that, at least not for anime specifically. But I could probably rectify that, assuming I felt more inclined to do so.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
At the end of day 1, we've got 500 nominations for 300 characters. Crazy stuff. See ya'll tomorrow!
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:
By it's nature, 90% of especially today's anime isn't suitable for a discussion of "intellectual thought".

Doesn't mean we can't try.

1. Isaac and Miria (they count as one person, right? Wink) from Baccano!- To borrow an episode title, they "unintentionally spread happiness around them". They're hilariously outrageous and simply seeing them on screen made me smile.
2. Dr. Stein from Soul Eater- Ya gotta love those crazy scientist. He's unpredictable and fun to watch both when he's being comedic and serious. He's badass and his fights (especially when affected by insanity) are just plain awesome.
3. Undertaker from Black Butler- He's a harmless and amusing creeper. His effect on the other characters is hilarious. (Manga spoiler) spoiler[Then we find out he's not so harmless (he's the only person Sebastian's not been able to beat!), which makes him even more awesome].
4. Chopper from One Piece- He's adorably naive and well meaning. And just plain adorable, especially when he's cosplaying in super hero form. Did I mention he's adorable?
5. Celty from Durarara!!- She's a unique character. I've never seen her powers, predicament or ever her species used before in any media (except Sleepy Hollow, but that's completed different). She's strangely cute, yet also really strong. It's also hilarious that a creature of myth is terrified of aliens. Laughing
6. Integra Hellsing from Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate- She's a regular human who's strong enough to stand against vampires and other monsters who can massacre dozens of people in minutes. Any human who's strong enough to do that deserve some respect.
7. Shinra from Durarara!!- What can I say, I like crazy scientists.

I don't have many favorite characters, so I can't think of anymore right now unless I were to include manga characters. I'll come back later and finish the last three.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Anyway, back OT, do you require everyone to nominate ten characters? I know my top two but I've never tried going further than that, at least not for anime specifically. But I could probably rectify that, assuming I felt more inclined to do so.

It doesn't have to be 10, it can be any amount in between as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4