• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Battle Royale -Ultimate Edition- GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wasn't the first volume of this reviewed about a week ago? Are they really releasing these that fast?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wait, wasn't the first volume of this reviewed about a week ago? Are they really releasing these that fast?

No, the first volume was released way back in October 2007. Second was released in February 2008.

Last edited by Jedi General on Sat May 09, 2009 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
It's the wonderful world of backlogs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vocab

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there are a total of 5 Ultimate editions out. Which should cover the whole series if I'm not mistaken.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Yep. Between the spring preview and Protoculture Addicts, we're working through a bit of a backlog here. Forgive us, things will be back to normal soon.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
I've only read some of the manga, and it's pretty give and take in my back. I definitely dislike that Tokyopop didn't bother to make the translation more accurate this time around, nor did I expect them too. Still, I remember reading that the adaptation actually creates some plotholes.

Having read half the book so far, I always thought the movie handled the spirit of it a bit better, even though it diverged quite a bit from the overall story. The manga follows it much closer, but I always thought it over accentuated the violence and sexed things up a bit too much. It's not bad by any means, and if given a better release (that will never come), I'd definitely give it another shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
I just finished the GN 2 and didn't like it as much as GN 1, which I thought was excellent. I think the main drag for me in GN 2 was the over-emphasis (for me) on the good characters. When you immerse yourself in the BR world, you are looking for wall-to-wall cruelty and inhumanity, not do-gooders being all noble and stuff, amirite?

Especially heart-breaking for me was the fact that my favourite character, the succulently evil Mitsuko Souma, was spoiler[reduced to basically just a cameo appearance in GN 2. I'm hoping that GN 3 has more of this homicidal hellcat.]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Yep. Between the spring preview and Protoculture Addicts, we're working through a bit of a backlog here. Forgive us, things will be back to normal soon.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply you guys were doing it wrong or anything, I was genuinely surprised. Although now that I think about it, I think I saw the backlog of volumes at my local comic book store the other day...
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Especially heart-breaking for me was the fact that my favourite character, the succulently evil Mitsuko Souma, was spoiler[reduced to basically just a cameo appearance in GN 2. I'm hoping that GN 3 has more of this homicidal hellcat.]

Promised! You'll have as much as you don't/want of her and a "hellcat" is just too pale to describe the horror in her Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I just finished the GN 2 and didn't like it as much as GN 1, which I thought was excellent. I think the main drag for me in GN 2 was the over-emphasis (for me) on the good characters. When you immerse yourself in the BR world, you are looking for wall-to-wall cruelty and inhumanity, not do-gooders being all noble and stuff, amirite?

I think the point was to depict how difficult is to negotiate survivning, when mistrust and paranoia become the norm. As a consequence, instead of rushed killings in panic and self-defense, we have more of the students becoming players who would rather win the game, than not, with Kiriyama taking the notable mention. Hence, the accent on Mimura and Yutaka is not accidental either, because their plan is the only clear attempt to resist the game, although *spoiler relevenace to the next GN*. Shuuya and Shougo are in principle disagreement and it is an interesting debate, because it becomes the second layer of drama trying to answer the question if they are not deranged at this stage of the game, what would they offer, where their decisions would take them, was it a deadlock situation in which nothing reasonable can be done (ever wondered what Kiriyama would do if the coin flipped 'heads"?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1