• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Antagonists you found yourself rooting for?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever felt like someone was a villain just because the writer said so? Take the principle from "Ferris Buller's Day Off." They play him up as a villain despite simply just doing his job as an educator. Whether it'd be because he had sympathetic motives, or simply because they were poorly-written as villains, what antagonists did you root for?

Light Yagami from Death Note- Not quite the antagonist, but we still shouldn't root for him. While at first, I did find his goals sympathetic, he did descend into madness. However, I always felt like L and the task force only went after him because he was doing a better job at law enforcement than they were.

The Homunculi from Fullmetal Alchemist- While some were complete not-so-nice-people (Envy, Brotherhood!Pride), there were others with more sympathy. Wrath (in the first anime) seemed more like a lost child, Lust was given more backstory, Gluttony seemed more like an easily manipulated pawn, and Greed spoiler[eventually became a good guy]. Unlike other examples, this one was more intentional.

The Computer Club from Haruhi Suzumiya- Light was up for debate, the Homunculi were intentionally sympathetic, but these guys suffered Sheldon J. Plankton Syndrome. We were supposed to root for the SOS Brigade because they resorted to cheating. Well, maybe if Haruhi didn't steal (and yes, she stole it. She's a horrible protagonist. You're horrible for rooting for her) their goddamn computer in the first place. So, cheating is bad, but forced sexual assault, blackmail, and theft is okay? Ladies and gentlemen, people like this series! This has a following! fudge, I hate this series, I hate this series!

Haku from Naruto- Zabuza may have been a mass-murdering psychopath (spoiler[at least until he died]), but Haku was a much more tragic character. He was the victim of prejudice, his father killed his mother, and he devoted his life to a blood-thirsty mercenary. Plus, he almost killed Sasuke, and that's okay in my book.

Mousse from Ranma 1/2- Unlike most antagonists, who were pure not-so-nice-people (save for Ryoga), Mousse is probably much more tragic. He has poor eye-sight, turns into a duck, and woos after a girl who doesn't even know he exists. Even when he saves her life, Shampoo treats him like dirt.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Light was the protagonist of Death Note. Being a protagonist has nothing to do with your moral fibre, it has everything to do with being the main character. L is the actual antagonist of Death Note.

Being a villain is a completely different matter, though.

Anyways, I found myself rooting for the Anti Spiral at the end of the 2nd Gurren-Lagann movie. It had to do with the way the Gurren-dan were ganging up on him but despite the difference in number he continued to fight them off. Of course the Anti-Spiral was always more powerful than them, but he still felt like the underdog.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The Computer Club from Haruhi Suzumiya- Light was up for debate, the Homunculi were intentionally sympathetic, but these guys suffered Sheldon J. Plankton Syndrome. We were supposed to root for the SOS Brigade because they resorted to cheating. Well, maybe if Haruhi didn't steal (and yes, she stole it. She's a horrible protagonist. You're horrible for rooting for her) their goddamn computer in the first place. So, cheating is bad, but forced sexual assault, blackmail, and theft is okay? Ladies and gentlemen, people like this series! This has a following! fudge, I hate this series, I hate this series!

Didn't you realize that the Computer Club was giving the funding for that brand new computer just so they could give it to Haruhi? Or you didn't think it was odd that she went shopping for a brand new computer in the school room next to hers? With a shopping list even?

Antagonists I was rooting for:

Seiryo in Tenchi GXP. Yep, he's a badass.
Nambara in Hand Maid May. He's the best friend and worst enemy of the hero!
Cyberteam in Akihabara. It's ... complicated. I was rooting for the first and second villains but not the third and final ones. I think.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
When I watch Kaiba, I can't help but think that spoiler[Popo ] is ruthless, a monster... and probably right. Not only that, but the methods that he uses, however drastic, are perhaps the only way to handle the situation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of hard as I did not agree with their actions, but I did kind of find myself rooting for Peavy Barroy from C³ - Cube x Cursed x Curious, I just found that her character was way too tragic. Traumitised by her past, and dedicating herself to destroying "monsters", and the main character does not exactly make herself look like an innocent angel.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
This has to do more with this particular villain being significantly more fun that the protagonists, but by the end of Durarara!! I was pretty much rooting for Izaya's plan to come to fruition. In fact, I was spoiler[quite disappointed when it didn't.]

In a similar vein, Nakago from Fushigi Yuugi deserved to win solely on the basis that he was smarter, stronger, and more competent than the heroes. I certainly didn't want him to win (he's kind of a, um, spoiler[evil rapist]), but he really should have. That would be a case of "Watase didn't write him well enough", however. (Or perhaps just didn't write the series well enough in general? Considering that the problem is mainly that the heroes didn't come across as competent enough to defeat the villain.)

It's a bit of a stretch to mention Baccano! here considering that all of the characters are both protagonists and antagonists at different points in the story, but as far as villainous characters go, who wasn't rooting for Ladd Russo or Claire Stanfield by the end? Very Happy

I may think of more examples later, but for now, that's what I got. Smile Usually with me, it is more a case of "I'm rooting for them because they're more fun than the heroes".
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Char in the original Mobile Suit Gundam. The feddies were never easy to root for and although Zeon did regrettable things too, Char had his own agenda not directly accommodated to the ideals of the current principality. His fight is much more interesting than the chancy pilot Amuro's angst. However, in CCA he is crazy, so there I'm rooting for people stoppping him again.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
I don't get that. How can you say that Char is not crazy in 0079 and yet crazy in Char's Counterattack? In 0079 he's fighting for the side that exterminated billions of people in an unprovoked attack, so I've never thought of him as a good guy. He's always been a piece of work with his own reserved spot in hell, just like virtually all Zeon soldiers.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Agreed with Orihara Izaya from Durarara!. The guy was deliciously mean.

If I had to pick another character from Naruto, it would be Deidara. He was fun, had a bit of a temper and I liked his bombing style. Unfortunately he was spoiler[losing every time, which made him less cool]. He deserved better.

My best pick would be DBZ's Vegeta. He became more of an anti-hero over time, but started out as a real antagonist. He was my favorite character.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
In 0079 he's fighting for the side that exterminated billions of people in an unprovoked attack, so I've never thought of him as a good guy. He's always been a piece of work with his own reserved spot in hell, just like virtually all Zeon soldiers.

I'm not a Char fan by any means, but you're not exactly correct. He wasn't fighting for Zeon, he was merely fighting along side them to further his goal of killing the Zabis. All the other Zeon soldiers fought for the glory of their homeland and were totally drinking the cool-Aid Ghiren was handing out. Char was different.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
That just makes it worse. He was helping out (by killing countless people) a side he knew was evil just to settle a personal vendetta. That's actually really sick.

And Char wasn't a normal soldier either, he was an ace with a massive kill count and the ability to change the tide of a battle. If it wasn't for Amuro, Char could well have helped Zeon win the war. Pray tell, if the Zeons had won, what would he have done then?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy would you not like how the novelization ended Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Darn you. Now I'm simultaneously curious and terrified of how the novelization ends.

I'll have to prepare myself first.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
In a nutshell, spoiler[Amuro is killed, Char teams up with Pegasus II (White Base) to get rid of the Zabis, peace treaty is signed, Zeon is a lot better off, Char takes up a high military position in order to improve it, and most of the Pegasus II's crew (except Kai and Sayla) become Zeon citizens.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
In other words, typical fan-fiction quality (i.e. crap), only written by someone who should have known better.

Well, forewarned is forearmed. Now I know to avoid the novelization (not that I had any intention of reading it in the first place).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3