• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex of America Announces the Garden of Sinners Limited Edition DVD Box Set Details and Relea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
i would rather pay 250 for BD.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Bamm!!

I am usually a big proponent of Aniplex USA pricing, but $149 for 8 subbed movies in DVD is kind of high. I wonder if it will sell out like the original BD set did.
That's hilarious. If you go by some basic math, a movie is 20 dollars. A dvd rather. Subbed dvds too, are usually 20 dollars. Blurays tend to be about 25-30. 20 times 8 is 160. This price is FANTASTIC by this logic. Every other release by Aniplex has been 2-3 times the price they should've been based on this forumla. Yes, I know normal movies are LONGER than these, but the total time vs their normal pricing is still a lot better than ever before. I find it hilarious you think THIS is high when it's vastly cheaper than anything they've released so far. And with that said, I clap my hands right now Aniplex, for you are finally releasing something with a sane price. I won't be able to afford it so soon of course, but at least it's a sane price, especially with the extras.

I guess I'll wait for the standard ones (if they ever come out). I'd rather have bluray for something as beautiful as these movies were, but I'm sure just the standard version of those will be insanely priced.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The packaging looks nice, but I wouldn't call the BD packaging cheap and flimsy in comparison. It's the only BD set I have with packaging similar to the deluxe boxes we used to get with some laserdiscs.

Also, I'm not sure I would call Part 8 a movie. It's a short (less than 30 mins.) epilogue. I would consider it more of an extra.
alamarco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I bought the original set and it is still to this day my one of my favourite items and best purchases.

The extras in this new set are very nice. The only issue I have is the release date. I wish it was a 2013 release as I probably won't be getting this in November.

Hopefully it doesn't sell out by 2013 and I can make a purchase, but I'm sure it'll sell like hot cakes.

As much as people complain, ANIPLEX prices are great. ANIPLEX mainly does imports and compared to what Japan pays we get good deals.

People would still complain if ANIPLEX sold these at a dollar per disc.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Bamm!!

I am usually a big proponent of Aniplex USA pricing, but $149 for 8 subbed movies in DVD is kind of high. I wonder if it will sell out like the original BD set did.
That's hilarious. If you go by some basic math, a movie is 20 dollars. A dvd rather. Subbed dvds too, are usually 20 dollars. Blurays tend to be about 25-30. 20 times 8 is 160. This price is FANTASTIC by this logic. Every other release by Aniplex has been 2-3 times the price they should've been based on this forumla. Yes, I know normal movies are LONGER than these, but the total time vs their normal pricing is still a lot better than ever before. I find it hilarious you think THIS is high when it's vastly cheaper than anything they've released so far. And with that said, I clap my hands right now Aniplex, for you are finally releasing something with a sane price. I won't be able to afford it so soon of course, but at least it's a sane price, especially with the extras.

I did my own math and your have a point. Garden of Sinners is about 530 minutes, which us equal to about 21 episodes of a regular anime series (25 minutes per episode). If you divide 150 by 21, you are basically paying $7 per episode. And I agree, it is not a horrible price.

However, the this IS NOT the least pricey release from Aniplex USA. The DVD release of Durarara!! cost about $130 for 26 episodes, which means you paid $5 dollars per episode.[/b]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
it costs a few dollars extra per disc to release something on blu-ray

You think that AoA is releasing this too cheaply then? They should be taking the BD price, and knocking a few dollars off for each disc?

Quote:
this clearly is an attempt against progress in the anime industry
I am going to have to put aniplex on a 'no-buy' list and rethink my bakemonogatari purchase. This is also the first I realized aniplex was owned by Sony.

While it's not as good as some of the European KnK releases (didn't the French release have soundtracks included, too?), it's significantly cheaper than the Japanese releases, which is what AoA has done with all of their US releases so far (IIRC, but maybe I'm not).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Can we get one of these for Fate/Zero eventually?

Glad they finally did a reissue of these (though this is the first time they've been offered on DVD). Aniplex charges up the ass but at least they don't skimp on the extras
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Can we get one of these for Fate/Zero eventually?

Glad they finally did a reissue of these (though this is the first time they've been offered on DVD). Aniplex charges up the ass but at least they don't skimp on the extras

In an official English release, yes.
The series had DVD releases in Japan. They also got the box set we got last year as well.

At least, that's if I'm understanding the original release schedule correctly.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
the price for the DVD set is not bad

it's not really about gouging prices
you see, the less people that buy a product, the higher the cost per sale is needed to cover production costs
150$ for an 8disc set is not really all that bad.

if you look at the H-game industry, they regularly cost twice as much as a regular video game. the reason being that the amount of customers is significantly smaller. It's not that the companies want to charge 100$ per title, it's just that is what is required to sustain the industry.

even if it doesn't seem like it, this is a niche title. If an otaku was going to pick an anime for otaku, it would be something like this.

however, 150$ vs. 600$ is significant. It is easy to see where this is going. You can think of the Blu-ray boxset more of a trophy.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
So tempting, but I already have too many preorders for November. Plus, I don't really care about extras. I just want the movies. Maybe I will pick it up in 2013 if it doesn't sell out.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
You cannot use another countries price as a comparison. By that token I could say it cost a dollar or two to see a movie in the theatre in China or India. Or I could say the same drug that costs a 100 dollars a bottle here , costs a few bucks in Africa.

The US and Japan are different markets and the price should be priced as such, according to the market you are selling it in, not a foreign one.

Plus that pricing argument holds zero water, for a blu ray or regular movie within a year you can get for under a dollar new or used. If you are going to use comparisons, well the standard sentai dvd relese of dvds is around 25-35 for 13 eps, blu ray of funi are around 40-50 for 13 eps. You can go and buy Shakugan no Shana on blu ray, 26 eps, brand new for 35 bucks if you have a Frys around you, 40 if you have to shop online.

I am a collector so I have no objection of releasing limited editions, but, and thats the key, limited editions are released concurrently with regular editions, and are things that only the most die hard tend to pick up.

I am thinking of picking up bakemongatari, but something like oreimo and sinners are maybe purchases, ones that I would drop maybe 50 for, but neither is a good enough of series that I would pay an arm and a leg for them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
That's hilarious. If you go by some basic math, a movie is 20 dollars. A dvd rather. Subbed dvds too, are usually 20 dollars. Blurays tend to be about 25-30. 20 times 8 is 160. This price is FANTASTIC by this logic.

I don't know how you arrive at "fantastic". If $160 is the expected price and we're paying $150 then we're only a meagre $10 below the average price. Hence, I'd call that slightly below average at best. And of course, that's without applying any sort of discount for buying the entire bundle (individual releases are always more expensive than sets). Also, on top of that, there's another problem: These "movies" are all only about an hour long. So really, you're only getting the equivalent of about four movies in content. Hence, a more appropriate calculation would be $20 x 4 which is only $80. So no, I'd call this above average at best by your math and quite overpriced at worst depending on how you factor in the short runtime.

Of course, all that said, I actually don't hate this release. It is a very nice set and while $150 is perhaps still a little high I certainly think we're in the ballpark of reasonability. Unfortunately, there's one fatal problem for me: It's DVD. Sorry but I just can't stand spending this much money on an inferior version. If they're not going to give me the best quality then I just can't see buying anything other than a very cheap version. Hopefully we'll still see that at some point (or a BD release) but for now it's not happening.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
I might be the only who doesn't care about all the extras. I just want the actual films. I have a friend who really likes Type-Moon artwork and she complained about lacking anything related to KnK so I might just order it and keep the DVDs for myself and give her the artwork and stuff.

Just wait for the non-limited edition to come out onto the market, it'll be cheaper that way if you just want the movies and don't care about the extras.

that's always a double-edged sword however with small companies like aniplex usa. I really think if the demand for oremio wasn't there they wouldn't have bothered doing a re-release at all. so we need support and get others to buy/support these limited editions so that average anime consumer can afford said media "if what I'm saying makes any damn sense".

I could honestly care less about their sub-only releases, they charge too much for them. Durarara is honestly the only limited release worth $150, but they already said this set of movies was in high demand, they'll print a non-limited.

And I think they're also learning that not everyone can afford the limited releases, so they'll print them off non-limited for the ones who can't afford it and for people who come into liking the series later on. It would be stupid if they don't print the series again while they have the license, it would mean they're wasting money.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
This price is right for me. I think the movies are definitely worth $150, and with all the extras and pretty packaging, it's actually very reasonable.
Problem is, I want these movies on BD in HD quality, not sucky DVD quality. I would pay even a little more (say, $170) if I could get BD for that price.
Aniplex, I really want to love you for releasing Kara No Kyoukai subbed, but you keep getting it worng. First the BD was way way way overpriced, and now the quality is too low. Crying or Very sad
rabrek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm tempted, because of the reviews I've read... but when I factor in the backlog of anime waiting on my shelves (with more on order from RS), it'd be a pricey gamble for a blind buy. I fully anticipate kicking myself later, mind you. *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5