• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Busters! TV Anime's 2nd Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
Didn't like it.

Kevelinu wrote:
I may look like a total idiot, but I really can't see how people think that the animation is THAT bad. Yes, KyoAni's animation looks better.
But I really don't think this is that bad and as long as the story is good (and I only hear praising about the story) this will be awesome I think.

um...Clannad, which aired a few years ago, looks substantially better than this. That's saying something. I'm annoyed that this is below-average even for J.C Staff. I wasn't expecting good animation from the start anyway, but not this much.

I think I prefer the animation on the Pet show than this.

I kinda knew we'd be let down animation wise since this has the same director as Kill Me Baby... probably the lowest budget full TV show of the year. If this turns out to have less budget than the Pet show, then I think I'll lose all respect for JC Staff.
Serphirs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
I'm annoyed that this is below-average even for J.C Staff. I wasn't expecting good animation from the start anyway, but not this much.

How can anyone say something like this, based in a preview of not much of 5% of the entire episode?

I'm not trying to be devil's advocate really, in fact I know how to recognize something bad, and yeah in that pv there are 2 or 3 sequences that were awful, poor in framerate, poorly choreographed, whatever you wanna say. But also know that isn't even a fraction of the episode, or the scene itself.

When the show begin, and when I has seen 2 or 3 chapters at the same level or worst, okay, I'll say "this is below-average even for J.C staff", just because I know other shows of the studio which have been disgusting.
And, who knows? maybe the direction, pacing, script, or another "non-visual concept" be quite much better than expected. Anime is an entire block of factors, not just "art/animation"

If I'd have to do a criticism, would say that it is "INCONSISTENT" that is completely different that plain "bad". Just because, there is a marked diference between art and animation. The art is good, but the renderization of this art, isn't that good. And as I said, isn't not the entire episode so could have better scenes.

Using the same "To Aru majutsu" example that I mentioned before, that show was "TOP level", according to JCstaff. But indeed it had awful episodes, I mean FILTHY episodes. But also, incredible scenes, really great, even for "Kyoani (since we're using it) standards". And that's not bad, it is "inconsistent". Is the same thing that happens to 80% of shonens nowadays. The budget is limited so they need to use it efficiently.

It's hilarious. I've read, a lot of paranoids reviews of those pvs today, with a lot of hormonal speeches. And honestly do nothing but make me laugh xD
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I won't mince words here. Despite the inner fangirl aspect, I feel that Kyoto Animation are masters of animation and it is kind of spoiling everyone a bit.

That said, Little Busters anime looks serviceable enough, though the animation style almost looks like it is flash animated especially with the hair. Either way, they didn't mask the fluidity to the point it becomes less artificial looking. Most anime does it brilliantly and it is an underappreciated craft considering people take it for granted.

I am disappointed with the animation a bit, but I'll try to watch the show as if it was made in early 2000's where animators were grappling with.digital animation techniques.
leokiko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I hate to break down quotes so I will just do it this way.

Serphirs wrote:
How can anyone say something like this, based in a preview of not much of 5% of the entire episode?
Previews are supposed to be good. They are supposed to impress the new viewers and please the old ones. What does this video tell for new viewers? LOL that this is some kind of fighting anime with cute chicks and lousy animation? Pretty much.

I'm not trying to be devil's advocate really, in fact I know how to recognize something bad, and yeah in that pv there are 2 or 3 sequences that were awful, poor in framerate, poorly choreographed, whatever you wanna say. But also know that isn't even a fraction of the episode, or the scene itself.
I agree with you. I never said the show was bound to fail. I merely mentioned that the animation on the preview was awful. Maybe the anime itself will improve on that, and I hope it does.

When the show begin, and when I has seen 2 or 3 chapters at the same level or worst, okay, I'll say "this is below-average even for J.C staff", just because I know other shows of the studio which have been disgusting.
And, who knows? maybe the direction, pacing, script, or another "non-visual concept" be quite much better than expected. Anime is an entire block of factors, not just "art/animation"
But if the anmation doesn't bring the correct atmosphere, the script will feel sub-par no matter how good it is.

If I'd have to do a criticism, would say that it is "INCONSISTENT" that is completely different that plain "bad". Just because, there is a marked diference between art and animation. The art is good, but the renderization of this art, isn't that good. And as I said, isn't not the entire episode so could have better scenes.
It could have better scenes indeed, and again - I hope so - but the fact that the PV had pathetic animation still stands.
Using the same "To Aru majutsu" example that I mentioned before, that show was "TOP level", according to JCstaff. But indeed it had awful episodes, I mean FILTHY episodes. But also, incredible scenes, really great, even for "Kyoani (since we're using it) standards". And that's not bad, it is "inconsistent". Is the same thing that happens to 80% of shonens nowadays. The budget is limited so they need to use it efficiently.
It works if you can manage the budget. But in LB!'s case, most scenes are just the characters talking, the battles are just occasional. I don't see how they will waste so much budget in this. I expected the battles to have the best animation. As you may have noticed, the PV did nothing but disappoint me in that aspect.

It's hilarious. I've read, a lot of paranoids reviews of those pvs today, with a lot of hormonal speeches. And honestly do nothing but make me laugh xD
Good for you.

RyanSaotome wrote:

I kinda knew we'd be let down animation wise since this has the same director as Kill Me Baby... probably the lowest budget full TV show of the year. If this turns out to have less budget than the Pet show, then I think I'll lose all respect for JC Staff.

The animation has got nothing to do with the director, which I have no opinion about since he is a rookie. I'm willing to give the director/writer a chance before bashing them though. I may be an KyoAni fanboy, but only in animation. We still gotta watch the anime to judge it properly after all. Not that my hopes are up Sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
To get an idea of why animation/character-design is so important let me use the examples of Gunslinger Girl and Gunslinger Girl:Teatrino. I'll lay out some basic stats about both:

MAL users who have completed Gunslinger Girl: 32,810
MAL users who have completed GSG:Teatrino: 10,261

That's a huge fall from one series to another. Over 2/3rds of the people who finished Gunslinger Girl did not finish Teatrino. Could it be that Teatrino is just that bad? Not really, only about 1300 people on MAL have Teatrino listed as 'dropped'.

So if it's not horrifically terrible then why have so few people completed it relative to the first series? The answer is simple: the artwork and animation. Madhouse did the animation production of the first series and Artland was tasked to do the animation production of the second series, along with having new character designs based off the manga source inserted in as well.

So yes, animation and art is a huge factor. Despite Teatrino doing quite a good job at continuing the story from the first series, a lot of people cared more about the animation and art than the story itself.

And now with Little Busters we have an audience who is used to extremely high quality of art and animation from both Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works. Will they too not even bother with Little Busters which so far looks quite a few rungs down the ladder in terms of visual quality? Or will Key fans be more into the show for the story than the Gunslinger Girl fans are? That is definitely something I am curious to see.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To get an idea of why animation/character-design is so important let me use the examples of Gunslinger Girl and Gunslinger Girl:Teatrino. I'll lay out some basic stats about both:

MAL users who have completed Gunslinger Girl: 32,810
MAL users who have completed GSG:Teatrino: 10,261

That's a huge fall from one series to another. Over 2/3rds of the people who finished Gunslinger Girl did not finish Teatrino. Could it be that Teatrino is just that bad? Not really, only about 1300 people on MAL have Teatrino listed as 'dropped'.

While I understand your logic I don't really think that is the real reason why. If you look at almost any 1st season compared to the 2nd season you will see a significant drop.

I mean, it might have something to do with it but its probably not a huge factor. I would list some anime that have the same studio throughout as examples, but seriously its almost everything. So just check it out.

*Edit* - I think a bigger reason is that if someone watches the 1st season of something and they thought it wasn't too good or only decent they don't necessarily feel the need to watch the 2nd.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
While I understand your logic I don't really think that is the real reason why. If you look at almost any 1st season compared to the 2nd season you will see a significant drop.

MAL users who have completed Code Geass: 165,956
MAL users who have completed Code Geass R2: 142,677
MAL users who have completed Tsubasa Chronicle: 42,085
MAL users who have completed Tsubasa Chronicle 2: 29,763

So a 15% drop for R2 and a 30% drop for Tsubasa 2. I picked Tsubasa because I thought that would have the best shot at matching Teatrino's drop due to fan opinion on the first series but it didn't even have half the percentage drop that Teatrino has.

If you think a 66% drop is a norm, then I would love to see numbers to support it, because everything I have looked at says otherwise. 2/3rd of the people not wanting to watch a direct sequel with the same cast of characters and a continuation of the story from the first series (particularly a series that is well-regarded as GSG) does not seem normal at all.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm....not seeing what is so bad besides the shinai scene.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:

MAL users who have completed Code Geass: 165,956
MAL users who have completed Code Geass R2: 142,677
MAL users who have completed Tsubasa Chronicle: 42,085
MAL users who have completed Tsubasa Chronicle 2: 29,763

So a 15% drop for R2 and a 30% drop for Tsubasa 2. I picked Tsubasa because I thought that would have the best shot at matching Teatrino's drop due to fan opinion on the first series but it didn't even have half the percentage drop that Teatrino has.

If you think a 66% drop is a norm, then I would love to see numbers to support it, because everything I have looked at says otherwise. 2/3rd of the people not wanting to watch a direct sequel with the same cast of characters and a continuation of the story from the first series (particularly a series that is well-regarded as GSG) does not seem normal at all.

My point was that most 2nd seasons still receive significant drops in audience (or at least it appears so by MAL's statistics). So blaming it all on the change in animation studios isn't fair, you should have just mentioned that in your post instead of making it sound like all of it was due to the studio change.
Serphirs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man I'm not good speaking english fluent so I can't be politically correct as I tend to be in the spanish forums, it looks like you recieved the commentary as something personal, but no it wasn't, sorry if you got it like this.
I just used your commentary to take advantage and leaving my point of view.

leokiko wrote:

Previews are supposed to be good. They are supposed to impress the new viewers and please the old ones. What does this video tell for new viewers? LOL that this is some kind of fighting anime with cute chicks and lousy animation? Pretty much.

Don't you pleased?
Well, all that I said was for try to explain why at most people it will NEVER please no matter what they do, just only by their "intransigent" mental comparison, or way of thinking. I'm not saying you're one of those, but with that sentence "below-average even for J.C staff.", it's hard to think you're commentary is objetive. Because that's not true.
I mean, it CAN'T be true because you're saying it based by a fraction of the entire subject of judgment.
When the dance starts, everything you want there. For now, it is just a superficial judgment.

leokiko wrote:

I agree with you. I never said the show was bound to fail. I merely mentioned that the animation on the preview was awful. Maybe the anime itself will improve on that, and I hope it does.

That's the point, not because the animation of a fraction of the pv, or even the entirely one, it is bad. IT MUST MEAN that the animation of the series will end up being bad.
I can give you reason in part, regarding of that maybe this PV don't generate so much hype (although this always will be ambiguous, due to is defined by the viewer's subjectivity), or if the scenes may have been bad chosen (in case that the series have better visual material).

leokiko wrote:

But if the anmation doesn't bring the correct atmosphere, the script will feel sub-par no matter how good it is.

Don't mix things. Actually do you realize that you are denying concepts like books, or even Visual Novel with this?
Those don't need any animation to create an atmosphere, because this is job of every reader's imagination. Animation (art, CG, or every visual concept) just comes to help to that.

Returning to the point.
If the script is bad, is bad. It has nothing to do with the animation.
If the animation is mediocre, is mediocre. It has nothing to do with the script.

leokiko wrote:

It works if you can manage the budget. But in LB!'s case, most scenes are just the characters talking, the battles are just occasional. I don't see how they will waste so much budget in this. I expected the battles to have the best animation. As you may have noticed, the PV did nothing but disappoint me in that aspect.

Well, nodoby knows how much budget they handle. And how well they make use of this budget, the same budget can be manage good or bad depending of a lot of things. So it's complicated to deepen here.

leokiko wrote:

Good for you.

Thanks. Wink

pd: I reiterate, sorry if the grammar is strange. xD I'm doing my best. [/quote]

Last edited by Serphirs on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yerld

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The anime is being made on short notice, so there's little reason to expect top notch animation. You can blame Key/VisualArt's for that. Going with JC Staff isn't so surprising because they're used to coping with harsh conditions.

At the very least, it doesn't appear to be a Persona 4 or Negima level disaster, although we'll have to wait for more episodes to know.

Quote:

There's nothing horrifying in the PVs. It's just that they're composed of many still shots, which has people wondering if there are significant budget limitations (which we can't conclude. Warner's bid beat out the others, so they've likely allocated enough money to do it properly).

Frame count is quite good where there's motion, although the animation itself isn't spectacular. On a rushed production, you can't expect much more since it's difficult to hire good animators in time. They're kinda booked on other shows already, so the producer has to make do with who he can find.
Serphirs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
megido wrote:
And now with Little Busters we have an audience who is used to extremely high quality of art and animation from both Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works. Will they too not even bother with Little Busters which so far looks quite a few rungs down the ladder in terms of visual quality? Or will Key fans be more into the show for the story than the Gunslinger Girl fans are? That is definitely something I am curious to see.

I think, you're generalizing so badly here.
Take, https://www.facebook.com/littlebustersfans
Just look how much people (YEAH, SO much more people than you commonly see in forums) are really pleased with what they have seen until now.
The world is bigger man. Even in animesuk1 people have been considerably more positive than here.

pd: I reiterate, sorry if the grammar is strange. xD I'm doing my best.

Last edited by Serphirs on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't generalizing at all. I honestly have no idea how, overall, the Little Busters fans will react. I have no idea if they value the story high enough that they'll disregard lower visual quality. All I did was show a case where lower visual quality made an enormous impact on the reception of another franchise.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

It's just people trying to find any fault at all in this adapt because kyonai didn't do it, it's that simple.

Listen people take a deep breath, calm the f*** down and please wait until an episode airs to make a judgment at least for animation quality if nothing else.

Hell take higurashi for example if people solely based animation/quality on the show alone then there wouldn't be a sh** load of fans instead of being judged on the merit of it's story. >_>

Mal stats for season one:
Completed: 81,867

Season two stats "never licensed":
Completed: 59,464

Even with the drop that's still a sh** load of fans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
leokiko wrote:
Didn't like it.

Kevelinu wrote:
I may look like a total idiot, but I really can't see how people think that the animation is THAT bad. Yes, KyoAni's animation looks better.
But I really don't think this is that bad and as long as the story is good (and I only hear praising about the story) this will be awesome I think.

um...Clannad, which aired a few years ago, looks substantially better than this. That's saying something. I'm annoyed that this is below-average even for J.C Staff. I wasn't expecting good animation from the start anyway, but not this much.

I think I prefer the animation on the Pet show than this.

You do realize JC Staff doesn't set the budget or finance the project, right?

Anyway, it really doesn't look that bad to me. However, I don't judge entire series by just a couples scenes of animation. I also don't judge series based solely on the quality of the animation. They are plenty of series with so-so or even bad animation, like the ef series and FMA, that are actually quite good.

I can be patient and wait for the final work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4