• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CANAAN (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
The action is definetly pretty in this show, there is a lot of characters, some sort of special powers and appears that there is a plot behind what is hapening. The only problem I am having is that I am having trouble keep track of the characters and stuff, they sho parts of the plot and suden flashbacks can have unclear placement, and the only charecter's name I can remember is Canaan, yet it is a bit difficult to see where she fits in with the other characters. And what in the hell was with that random spoiler[cab driver] who didn't seem too bothered by being shot at by an spoiler[insane child like old man that has something to do with a mask]. As far as I know is that Canaan is a good guy who made a friend with girl who is a reporter and spoiler[was infected in some virus and lost memory] and for some reason people are shooting each other, also somthing about Synthenesia.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The action is definetly pretty in this show, there is a lot of characters, some sort of special powers and appears that there is a plot behind what is hapening. The only problem I am having is that I am having trouble keep track of the characters and stuff, they sho parts of the plot and suden flashbacks can have unclear placement, and the only charecter's name I can remember is Canaan, yet it is a bit difficult to see where she fits in with the other characters. And what in the hell was with that random spoiler[cab driver] who didn't seem too bothered by being shot at by an spoiler[insane child like old man that has something to do with a mask]. As far as I know is that Canaan is a good guy who made a friend with girl who is a reporter and spoiler[was infected in some virus and lost memory] and for some reason people are shooting each other, also somthing about Synthenesia.
You missed a lot. spoiler[The virus is related to those markings on people like the old man-who I'm pretty sure is actually as old as his brother, but has aged rapidly because of the virus-and is still very much a danger. The Snakes control the virus, and are led by the woman who was rescued. Her sister and that man with blonde hair are her lackeys. The Snakes want Canaan dead because she's clearly interfered with their plans before and has the potential to do so again. They want the photographers dead because they took pictures of the marks. Synesthesia is a psychological phenomenon where you can associate one sense with another. Canaan (and presumably others) can use this in a fight.

Oh, by the way, the guy with the silent female companion with green hair looks to have once been on the same side as Canaan, but quit so that he could protect the woman.]
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
There are only two ways this will play out: A) We're thrown into this mess along with the cast head-first and things will all be sorted out in due time. B) We're thrown into this mess and it will stay a mess. My money is on A.

First episodes like this aren't supposed to set everything up; they're supposed to give you a smattering of details, show the catalyst that starts that's the starting point for the show, and make you curious. If nothing (not the cast, not the story, not the animation, not the dialog, not the action, etc.) grabs you, well, then it's not the show for you I guess. But to complain that it starts too fast with too many characters (are there really that many? Honestly? There were like 6 [Reporter, cameragirl, Canaan, woman in Canaan's room, Cummings, and his "secretary"], that's not very many) is kind of silly. (Edit: Ok there were a few more characters shown that probably will be important later, but didn't warrant worrying about yet.)

If you keep your brain turned on, you can get a lot from this first episode (and from most intro episodes that follow this format, for that matter). Looking forward to see where this one goes.

Quote:
Just like how Phantom is. When you break it down every single episode of Phantom is the same. You’re just shooting people with different faces.
I would disagree with you on Phantom being an action show. Phantom is, and made its intentions to be clear from the slow start, a more character-driven show. Even going by your 80% threshold, Phantom is more a character-centric drama with action elements than an aciton show.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
No phantom is an action show. No story exists. The nice graphics and fillers give u the illusion one exists. Who cares how it starts. After episode 3 what is all u see? 2 kids killing people the end.
Phantom story:
Zwei sees Ein kill some1
Ein saves his life & trains him to be a killer
Zwei thinks he killed Ein
The rest lets shoot some people
The end.

Would you read a dull book like that? Story has 2 twists that r uninteresting & boring & I doubt anyone would watch this show if not for the action. Story is forgettable. Between the killing all the characters say phantom kill this guy & u the viewer do not why half the time the person has to die. Ein & Zwei said they dont have to know... so really this show is all about marking a random guy & killing him. Thats it. The whole tragic things a joke & thats the only thing preventing this anime's story from collapsing because there is nothing else. Everybody eles story is either ignored not fully told or it doesn't help the plot. Obviously I think story is weak
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
lol it's not like the twists have stopped for Phantom...
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
You're right, the "story" as in, the plot, of Phantom is nothing complicated. It serves its purpose of holding events together, but it's not like "omg wow!" That said, to say it has no story and that action is the only draw is totally off base. I'm not watching it for the action (after episode 10, I gave up on Phantom to deliver good action), I'm watching it because it's been a pretty interesting character study on Reiji.

Quote:
Would you read a dull book like that?
Yes, provided the main character(s) were developed well enough (and Reiji has been so far), I would read a "dull" book like that.

Quote:
u the viewer do not why half the time the person has to die
Just because the killer doesn't know the reason doesn't mean the viewer can't know or guess. Just to humor your point, I just skimmed back through the first dozen episodes to check.

Episode 1: spoiler[No reason given for killing the guy; presumably in Inferno's way that I could see from skipping through this episode in 5 minute intervals. This kill is not in chronological order so it just kind of introduces things.]

Episode 2: spoiler[No assassinations.]

Episode 3: spoiler[Wallace was endangering Inferno's reputation/secrecy, and proved a good test for Zwei.]

Episode 4: spoiler[Don Lucio wouldn't join Inferno and was in the way (didn't got into a lot of detail).]

Episode 5: spoiler[Entire episode was devoted to showing why Tony was convinced he and his families were better off not getting involved with Inferno, which, unfortunately for him, turned out to be a poor decision.]

Episode 6: spoiler[Continuation of episode 5.]

Episode 7: spoiler[Ein kills someone who has information about Inferno that he's trying to give to the authorities. (I believe this is a flashback, due to the slightly younger appearance both Zwei and Ein have in this episode.)]

Episode 8: spoiler[No assassinations, but glasses dude from Japan (Shiga) has enlisted Scythe Master's help and starts playing Ein against Zwei and himself against Inferno--the fight here was a result of this power play starting.]

Episode 9: spoiler[No assassinations, but someone was tailing Ein and Zwei, keeping tabs on them. No one likes being spied on, so Ein took him out.]

Episode 10: spoiler[No assassinations, but with Scythe Master and Ein on Inferno's shitlist now, this battle was expected.]

Episode 11: spoiler[Recap episode. At the end, there are a few minutes of new stuff, with more scheming being done and Zwei killing off a few people. No real reason provided here, but it's sensible enough to presume they were in Inferno's way. Plus, they needed some way to show the change of character Zwei has gone through now (and show off the cheesy rap song!).]

Episode 12: spoiler[Inferno (well, Claudia) begins to hit "high-importance" targets; people of influence that would resist or interfere with their spread. Dude at opera house was one of these targets; further details not given unless that guy was the De La Cruz person mentioned a little later in this episode, one of the Gambino family that I believe had been mentioned before as a powerful group opposing Inferno.]

So... Looks to me like there's often a pretty obvious reason why, I think you're just ignoring them. Sometimes nothing clear is given, yeah, but that's in the minority. And this is without even going into how some of the earlier kills are used more to develop characters (Zwei in particular) rather than really move the plot. Interesting characters/character interaction can make up for a slow and simple plot, and Phantom is a good example of this.

Quote:
Obviously I think story is weak
Obviously Razz And I don't totally disagree with you on the point that the story is a little weak. But I disagree with your view that the story is just an excuse for the action. I think Phantom's story and its action are just things to contain and develop the characters with.

Edit: But anyway this is the CANAAN thread so let's not clutter it up any more with Phantom discussion for now Razz

[Mod Edit: I spoiler tagged your episode comments just in case. Also, like you said, it's a CANAAN thread, so let's try and stay on topic. - Keonyn]
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Would you read a dull book like that?

Hey, wanna hear about a book I really enjoyed? This dude comes back from India (set in the 1800's), arrives in England, and meets up with his old flame before lunch on his first day back. Then, he goes to her party. Story over. It's called Mrs. Dalloway, because I know you're dying to check it out.

There's more to a book, movie, television series, etc. besides a plot with a lot of twists...
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3.

spoiler[What is the purpose of this episode? We see that Canaan and Maria are friends for some time now, and that "mute" girl has same virus mark. However I have difficulty understanding that kid. Whats the point of kidnapping Maria, making fake(?) threads to kill her, knowing that he might die? He has a grudge on Canaan for killing his brother, that part is simple, so he kidnaps Maria to use her as hostage and... and what? Getting revenge by separating friends at the cost of his life? Or did he really think that Canaan won't shoot? Unless that kid ends up alive his actions won't make sense.]

Edit: Added spoiler tag, changed "this episode" to "his actions" in last sentence.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
(Your really should use spoiler tags this early in the episode airing. Wink )

Sadly, I think the kid was just a plot device. spoiler[If he did live (with his unique contortionist ability it's possible he shifted his organs to prevent the wound from being fatal) I could see him becoming an interesting part of the story, but by the looks of think Canaan has her work cut out for her and doesn't really need another adversary. He seemed to just be there as a means for Maria to see Canaan's true nature and understand just how different they really are. She had commented earlier that Canaan was just a normal girl, but now she should understand that there's a lot more about her that she doesn't understand.

Back to the kid, he didn't seem to be all that bad. Looks like all he wanted was revenge on Canaan and nothing more. He said he wouldn't hurt Maria and he kept his word. Somehow it seemed like he fully expected Canaan to shoot him, why else would he swallow the detonator. I'm sure he knew that's the way someone as violent as her would react. I guess the question is why?]

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the kid: It sounded to me like the kid wanted to die. spoiler[I remember him saying something like "its pointless creating a monster like me..." It was like his relationship with his brother was all he had left, and after his brother was killed he was left with just his "pointless existence."] His plan gave him two possible outcomes: Revenge or death.
spoiler[If Canaan killed him, then he got the death he's been wanting, and if he didn't die but killed Canaan then he at least avenged his brother's death.] It was a win-win scenario for him.

I also agree with Emerje's point about him being a device to get Maria to realize just how different the two of them are. That was actually a large underlying part of this episode. spoiler[With Maria's constant "she's a normal girl" and Canaan's difficulties in understanding Maria's actions, it was obvious to me that a 'wake-up' call was in order,] I just didn't expect it to come so quickly.
Anyways, I thought this episode was pretty good. I haven't had much confusion with its premises and characters yet, looking pretty good so far...
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
My theory about the kid is that spoiler[he knew he couldn't kill Canaan, so the only way to get revenge was to make her suffer as much as possible. Short of killing Maria (which it seems he didn't do because he has a strong sense of justice) he knew that her rejection of Canaan would hurt Canaan the most. The fake bomb also intensified Maria's reaction because the death seemed even more senseless.]
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
Just managed to watch 4. Gotta say I'm not impressed - the whole "oh noes big emotional drama" setup didn't get to me, especially since it wasn't such a big deal an episode ago. Plus, it gave me a strong deja vu feel. A bit of background was nice though.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
My theory about the kid is that spoiler[he knew he couldn't kill Canaan, so the only way to get revenge was to make her suffer as much as possible. Short of killing Maria (which it seems he didn't do because he has a strong sense of justice) he knew that her rejection of Canaan would hurt Canaan the most. The fake bomb also intensified Maria's reaction because the death seemed even more senseless.]

What I thought out of it was: The boy wanted someone to end his life and therefore he chose someone like him, so to make sure she would kill him he set up that plan.

Edit: This was the best episode so far.

Last edited by egoist on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I think, the both of you combined make the truth of the story. (rainbow and egoist)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Really awesome show I'll say. Though I have to admit the premise with the characters is pretty interesting. One minute you're laughing at stuff then you're not. But I'll admit the action sequences are really good. This studio isn't bad. Episode 1 definitely grabbed me. I was like, "Oh this is too sweet! I gotta see that again."

Highly impressed with it. And it's got Type-Moon's name on it so you can expect good things.

Hoping to a U.S. release. Pretty please?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7