• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CANAAN (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* I never said Canaan is the best, nor did I point fingers at anyone specifically...

All in all, what I said was it has quite a bit of good stuff going for it. And as such, I'm noticing way too many people let trivial matters bog their enjoyment of it. And I'm noticing that 'round these parts all too often...

For comparison's sake...let's make a long-standing bet. :3 Canaan IS eventually gonna come stateside; it's just one of those shows that's destined to arrive. When it does...I'm willing to bet an IGN DVD review will be...at least a 7.0. An ANN review....B- at least. Maybe a C for story.

The million dollar question...would you all be whining with those said scores, and that they are "wrong?" Half of you will be over-obsessed and say it's the greatest thing ever, like on Answer Man. Half of you, would point out the stupidest reasons to why the show sucks.

That's all I'm saying. =/ People these days don't know how to just sit down, and enjoy something. I'm willing to bet quite a lot of you couldn't enjoy Crank 2 for what it was...a masterpiece comprised of a maelstrom of utter bullshit.

Crank 2 is utterly retarded. Crank 2 is absolutely insane and over-the-top. Crank 2, is very easy to sit down in front of, and just have a good ol' time with a cold one. Canaan, in a few ways, is a lot like that as well. Stop picking out the faults, and just groove with it. I can guarantee you you'll have a MUCH better time with it that way.

If you people can't hold your Canaan, god knows how you'll hold your Sengoku Basara...which is without a godamn doubt, the Crank 2 of anime.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
What a dull ending... that's not even a hole in the plot, it's more like a blackhole ate the plot.
So many things left aside, and for our misfortune, they left the possibility for a second season.
For me, this and Asura Cryin' are ranked as the 2 worst this year.
What do they have in common? Both protagonists are ridiculously senseless and they utterly pissed me off.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Anticlimactic ending is anticlimactic.

I don't think this is the worst possible ending. I'd be disgusted at a "Maria+Canaan+rose petals=everybody's happy" ending, so this is kinda better. Yeah, they could've cut down on the teary pathos, but I guess with Maria that was inevitable. I actually thought spoiler[the guy who loved LiangQi turning into a monk was a pretty good move.]
Meh, I'm still for a more tragic ending, but this wasn't bad.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Apparently none of you have seen Battlestar Galactica or it's finale...
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
Whatever. Totally unimpressed with this show, looked flashy and managed to catch my eye-but as Mr. Casey already well knows, a show like this can only go so far in my eyes. It was a nice little ride, but this show needs to go to bed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Apparently none of you have seen Battlestar Galactica or it's finale...

Meaning? I have this inability to read between the lines you see (especially when there is only one line to read between), so I need everything spelled out to me.

So, like, were you saying that CANAAN's ending was just as bad as Battlestar Galactica's was? Ouch.*

John Casey wrote:
Canaan for me is a standout show for a season that's chock filled with nothing but bullshit. I can at least appreciate that. =/

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the standout show this year (at least thus far). Bakemonogatari is pretty darn good too. Think before you make such blatantly inaccurate generalisations. I'm not saying CANAAN is bad, just that it never held a candle to shows of that sort of calibre.

John Casey wrote:
All in all, what I said was it has quite a bit of good stuff going for it. And as such, I'm noticing way too many people let trivial matters bog their enjoyment of it. And I'm noticing that 'round these parts all too often...

Hmmm, I think I know what the issue is. You don't care about "trivial" things like the plot or the characters, you just want to be entertained in the most juvenile way possible; lots of gratuitous action. Now that I know just how shallow you are, I can now ignore you instead of trying to make polite conversation.

The Battlestar Galactica ending was atrocious and insulting. spoiler[Way to doom ninety percent of your population to a painful death because of famine, pestilence and the weather. Way to ensure that the survivors will be murdered or enslaved when a technologically advanced civilisation eventually turns up. Way to argue that technology is inherently evil, rather than a tool. Way to argue that religion is better than science.]
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to finishing it. I wish I didn't. The series failed as both a Type-Moon work, and as a good mystery/sci-fi. The ending itself wasn't bad per se, but had "Ass Pull" and "Cheese" written all over. I'm not even talking about how it's continued torturing the idea of realism and defiling the dead body of it after it killed it in episode one (I complained about that a few pages ago).

Here's my ending summary:

-Cheesy lines
-bad jokes
-cheap "OMFG the main chara is gonna die!" suspension
-penultimate villain repents! (shaving him into a monk was just /facepalm)
-no hawt yuri sex at the end? NOOOOooo.
-Oh nooooes, they're gonna make a crappy sequel? *nuclear launch detected*

Not to mention all the glaring plotholes, but I don't wanna complain, since I'm not sure I could take any more of the crappy premise anyway. So, as another victim of "good premise, bad execution", off to the trashbin it goes. I've waited and waited for something to come out of the story, for it to finally gain speed, but it stumbled down, fell on the face and never got up. The series ended up being most similar to DTB, and tbh I liked DTB a lot better (even though I didn't like it all that much). If they make a sequel/OVA, they could shove it up their @$$. I have less boring things to do.

Quote:
I'm not saying CANAAN is bad, just that it never held a candle to shows of that sort of calibre.

I'd disagree with that, with all the potential it started with, it could've been the show of the year. Good source material, great seiyuu, lots of funding and publicity, good animation. If the company making it concentrated less of visuals and more on the story, and the director spent more time thinking with his head not @$$ ( Rolling Eyes ), who knows? Now I'm not saying it was as much of a "wasting potential" nightmare as Shingetsutan Tsukihime, but the concept is similar.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Canaan is also a VN? I had no idea Type-Moon was behind the original idea for this show...is it any good?
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
^ It was some sort of Wii game (called "428" or sumth), if I'm correct, and Type-Moon wrote one of the routes (supposedly, the one adapted into anime). You'd have to ask someone who's played it for impressions though.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised at all the ending hate, I thought the ending was almost the saving grace of the show. I really liked the cyclical nature of it, and there's a lot of symbolism in spoiler[Alphard losing her left arm, which is connected to the heart. I also really liked a lot of the revelations in the show and thought they were sufficiently surprising--the idea of having two Canaans, and what Canaan said to Alphard before she fell from the train.

And you really have to wonder what Siam was thinking and why he chose a new Canaan, probably knowing they would battle it out someday...too bad he's dead so he can't answer any questions...

Sure, Maria proved useless, although I liked her photo exhibition at the end which shows that she really is finding herself. Again, though, the show-stealers of this season were Hakko and Santana. What a horribly twisted romantic tale.]

As a whole, I think people are more frustrated by the potential this show didn't capitalize on than by the show itself; but considering how unoriginal the characters were to begin with, I'd say they fleshed this out nicely, had some good character development, and excellent action. There are also some more sophisticated themes here that shouldn't be left out concerning the relationship between the two Canaans.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
It reminded of shows like Noir that had the girls with guns and shoujo-ai subtexts (a reason I wish Canaan was a guy because even though I enjoyed the series, yuri/shoujo-ai/shounen-ai/yaoi are not for me...at all).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7